Where did the "SMBX Episodes" term originate from?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Where did the "SMBX Episodes" term originate from?

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I've always wondered why people call SMBX "Games" Episodes. It seems kinda confusing to me, as the Episode part of SMBX.org and the Episode folder in SMBX are called "Worlds". So where did the "Episode" term originate from?
Last edited by Snessy the duck on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: Where did the "Episodes" term originate from?

Postby PixelPest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Star Wars?

Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?

Re: Where did the "SMBX Episodes" term originate from?

Postby Quill » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Pretty sure Redigit used the term and we've just stuck with it.

SneakyDude
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Current Project: Cal's Adventure
Chat Username: SneakyDude

Postby SneakyDude » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 pm

It could be suggesting it is non canon to Mario, we could call it episode, fictional story or anything, but that's my opinion.
you know, I'm a bit sneaky
but I cant guarantee that you'd find anything here ;)
Spoiler: show
or you may?

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 pm

it's a term redigit used. if you look at th old forums (with the wayback machine), the forum for the finished games uses the term "episode" too.
im bored

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Kind of a misnomer. I'd prefer the term "game" as it highlights the individuality of each game. An "episode" would be a part of a series of games. Tower of Biased 6, for example, is an episode in the Tower of Biased series of games.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

Enjl wrote:Kind of a misnomer. I'd prefer the term "game" as it highlights the individuality of each game. An "episode" would be a part of a series of games. Tower of Biased 6, for example, is an episode in the Tower of Biased series of games.
I'd prefer the term "Worlds" being used, since "Games" make it sound like they're standalone games, which they aren't.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am

Snessy the duck wrote: I'd prefer the term "Worlds" being used, since "Games" make it sound like they're standalone games, which they aren't.
But they're not worlds either Imagehttp://blog.draperinc.com/wp-content/up ... _Emoji.png[/rimg]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 am

Snessy the duck wrote:
Enjl wrote:Kind of a misnomer. I'd prefer the term "game" as it highlights the individuality of each game. An "episode" would be a part of a series of games. Tower of Biased 6, for example, is an episode in the Tower of Biased series of games.
I'd prefer the term "Worlds" being used, since "Games" make it sound like they're standalone games, which they aren't.
They are games created using the SMBX engine. Similar to how some Mega Man fangames are created using the Mega Engine for Game Maker. The only difference is that PGE can't put them into an exe file right now.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 pm

"Episode" was a word Redigit came up with as far as I know. I don't know exactly where he got it from, and I can't say I'm a fan of the term but I also don't know of any other term that does the job besides "game" (or "world", I suppose, at least in the context of the "worlds" folder).

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 pm

As I remember it, I believe the term "world" or just "level pack" was used in the very early days of SMBX, before The Great Castle Adventure and The Princess Cliche were added to the SMBX download package in 1.1 (before that, it was just The Invasion). I assume Redigit introduced the term "episode" to make those three seem more like "equal partners" or something, though I guess it is kind of an odd term for what it is.

The "episode" terminology was definitely on full display on the front page on Supermariobrothers.org back in the day, though, so it was a Redigit-invented term.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Actually if I recall correctly, the term episode came about when Redigit said in the IRC that he was trying to figure out an official name for what we now know as episodes because he didn't approve of the term "game" because in his own words, SMBX was the game, not the levels/episodes you make with it. I don't remember who proposed the idea of "episode", or if anybody proposed it at all, but I do vaguely remember this scenario playing out since episodes were becoming popular and levels less so.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:42 am

Ah gotcha, that must've been before I was around. The terms world and level pack were definitely in general use in the very very early days though (before episode was), from what I remember from looking back at early posts in the projects forum when I joined.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

ShaolinTrunks
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Teen Trunks Adventures
Chat Username: ShaolinTrunks

Postby ShaolinTrunks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am

Good little piece of history. Until the next episode....episode....episode.....
Thanks to the SMBX Community.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Return to “General”