Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4476
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Level Gimmicks you wanna recreate in SMBX

Postby Electriking » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

AlphaFenix wrote: -It's cool to have a nice and open overworld like SM3DW
SM3DW is not open world. If you want an open world SMBX episode, then you should try Mario Prime.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5842
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Bump Time!

I wonder, has anyone ever made there own SMBX level/episode/project based off the flash game, Tower of Heaven? I always wanted to recreate some of the gimmicks from that frustrating game! :twisted:

User avatar
ivanmegafanboy
Blooper
Blooper
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:47 am
Current Project: Making levels casually. And University. And 1cc this thing called Touhou.

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby ivanmegafanboy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 pm

I would like to implement some of the gimmicks from the deceased fangame Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. Maybe just the megaman enemies, especially the bosses. Killing Napalm Man with a jump over his head, damn, it was so fricken' cool.
I like editing levels
Check them out at: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16926
Spoiler: show
Image
I support
Image
Also The Great Castle Adventure Remake
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Alucard648
Rex
Rex
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:45 am

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Alucard648 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 am

Fast autoscrolling section, ala Canabalt.

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:10 am

The Tower from VVVVVV, I think I can't do it, though

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5842
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Mr Briney wrote:The Tower from VVVVVV, I think I can't do it, though
That'll be a fun gimmick to recreate in SMBX. Tho it might require some Lunalua first.

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby The0x539 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:55 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mr Briney wrote:The Tower from VVVVVV, I think I can't do it, though
That'll be a fun gimmick to recreate in SMBX. Tho it might require some Lunalua first.
"might"

User avatar
MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm
Flair: stay groovy

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby MrPunchia » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Those platforms in Pac Man World that you rev roll on (or in this hypothetical case, run on) to make move.
Proud SMBX'er since 2012. After a year of inactivity and in light of B4's release I am attempting to commit myself partially to SMBX once again.

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mr Briney wrote:The Tower from VVVVVV, I think I can't do it, though
That'll be a fun gimmick to recreate in SMBX. Tho it might require some Lunalua first.
It should use LunaLua if I'll apply the gravity, but it seems I can't do it lol

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby The0x539 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Mr Briney wrote:
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mr Briney wrote:The Tower from VVVVVV, I think I can't do it, though
That'll be a fun gimmick to recreate in SMBX. Tho it might require some Lunalua first.
It should use LunaLua if I'll apply the gravity, but it seems I can't do it lol
Gravity flip is very hard. A Captain Viridian playable would literally be easier to make. No need to handle upside-down jumping, and if memory serves, no gradual acceleration.

User avatar
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 pm
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 am

I'd love to recreate the incoming chomps from YI, but there's too many things to account for as it stands now when it comes to their creation. Their array where they'll land, the fact that they'll smash ground, etc. Just too complicated.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

User avatar
Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:53 am
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Dr Vivian » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 am

TLtimelord wrote:I'd love to recreate the incoming chomps from YI, but there's too many things to account for as it stands now when it comes to their creation. Their array where they'll land, the fact that they'll smash ground, etc. Just too complicated.
I think the Beta 4 Thwomps could make a decent version of the Incoming Chomps.

From what I know, you can alter the setting of what types of blocks they can break. If there's not an option to break ANY block, I don't think it would be too hard to add. (I assume there's a table with block ids? is table the right term?) I think referencing the players X position to determine where they land/spawn isn't too difficult either. I think the hardest part for me would be having them jump from the background.
Image

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby The0x539 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:01 am

Dr Vivian wrote:
TLtimelord wrote:I'd love to recreate the incoming chomps from YI, but there's too many things to account for as it stands now when it comes to their creation. Their array where they'll land, the fact that they'll smash ground, etc. Just too complicated.
I think the Beta 4 Thwomps could make a decent version of the Incoming Chomps.

From what I know, you can alter the setting of what types of blocks they can break. If there's not an option to break ANY block, I don't think it would be too hard to add. (I assume there's a table with block ids? is table the right term?) I think referencing the players X position to determine where they land/spawn isn't too difficult either. I think the hardest part for me would be having them jump from the background.
Semi-accurate. They use some tables in expandedDefines:
Image
You're not really supposed to change them, though, they're supposed to mean something specific, and other code generally uses them.

User avatar
Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:53 am
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Dr Vivian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:58 am

The0x539 wrote:
Dr Vivian wrote:
TLtimelord wrote:I'd love to recreate the incoming chomps from YI, but there's too many things to account for as it stands now when it comes to their creation. Their array where they'll land, the fact that they'll smash ground, etc. Just too complicated.
I think the Beta 4 Thwomps could make a decent version of the Incoming Chomps.

From what I know, you can alter the setting of what types of blocks they can break. If there's not an option to break ANY block, I don't think it would be too hard to add. (I assume there's a table with block ids? is table the right term?) I think referencing the players X position to determine where they land/spawn isn't too difficult either. I think the hardest part for me would be having them jump from the background.
Semi-accurate. They use some tables in expandedDefines:
Image
You're not really supposed to change them, though, they're supposed to mean something specific, and other code generally uses them.
Hmmm...I probably saw on Discord like months ago, but I've forgotten if so...is there an option to have Beta 4 Thwomps or...King Bills break ANYTHING?
Image

User avatar
MarioMario369
Bit
Bit
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am
Chat Username: MarioMario369
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby MarioMario369 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:40 am

I wanna take the movement in the Sonic the Hedgehog games. If you don't know what i'm talking about then here's a random Sonic the hedgehog video:

Image


Here are my friend codes.

Nintendo 3ds: 0018-0618-4029

Nintendo Switch: SW-7306-0069-7414

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby The0x539 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 am

Dr Vivian wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
Dr Vivian wrote:
I think the Beta 4 Thwomps could make a decent version of the Incoming Chomps.

From what I know, you can alter the setting of what types of blocks they can break. If there's not an option to break ANY block, I don't think it would be too hard to add. (I assume there's a table with block ids? is table the right term?) I think referencing the players X position to determine where they land/spawn isn't too difficult either. I think the hardest part for me would be having them jump from the background.
Semi-accurate. They use some tables in expandedDefines:
Image
You're not really supposed to change them, though, they're supposed to mean something specific, and other code generally uses them.
Hmmm...I probably saw on Discord like months ago, but I've forgotten if so...is there an option to have Beta 4 Thwomps or...King Bills break ANYTHING?
Not without modifying the code, though that *can* be done on a per-level basis with a local copy of the API placed in an NPCs folder.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5842
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 am

MarioMario369 wrote:I wanna take the movement in the Sonic the Hedgehog games. If you don't know what i'm talking about then here's a random Sonic the hedgehog video:

I know how the movement in Sonic the Hedgehog games work. But still, that'll make an interesting SMBX episode imo

User avatar
bossedit8
Banned
Posts: 6846
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am

I've done a couple MegaMan based style of gameplay and mechanics into SMBX (that was made in 1.3 when 2.0 wasn't even a thing yet):



OLs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0BBwCFFbM4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9HtYk8xAic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDW1NZzCxnE

User avatar
MarioMario369
Bit
Bit
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am
Chat Username: MarioMario369
Contact:

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby MarioMario369 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 pm

bossedit8 wrote:I've done a couple MegaMan based style of gameplay and mechanics into SMBX (that was made in 1.3 when 2.0 wasn't even a thing yet):



OLs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0BBwCFFbM4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9HtYk8xAic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDW1NZzCxnE
They look nice.
Image


Here are my friend codes.

Nintendo 3ds: 0018-0618-4029

Nintendo Switch: SW-7306-0069-7414

User avatar
Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:34 pm
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Re: Gimmicks from other games that that you wanna recreat in SMBX

Postby Oshi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Rotating blocks like the ones in Super Mario 63

And water currents, like the ones from Kirby Mass Attack or the Starfy series.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
Spoiler: show
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show
Image
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests