Which version of SMBX should I use?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Mario's Greatest Adventure (http://bit.ly/marioga)
Chat Username: TheGamingCats

Which version of SMBX should I use?

Postby TheGamingCats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:04 am

Which version of SMBX is easier to use, has more functions, and has more people using it?

My levels

Spoiler: show
The Grasslands(Also Level 1-3 of Mario's Greatest Adventure, my first episode.)
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 21#p278821
My Project
Click on it for a surprise!
TheGamingCats wrote:Someone explain why people still use 1.3.0.1 or 1.4.4? Its ridiculous really.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Re: Which version of SMBX should I use?

Postby RSupertheGreat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 am

I'm a 100% assumed that all people uses 2.0. Which has more functions and easy to use (not sure if it's true).

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:20 am

Use SMBX2 and you'll be fine.

TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby TheGamingCats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 am

Ok, thanks all!

My levels

My Project
TheGamingCats wrote:Someone explain why people still use 1.3.0.1 or 1.4.4? Its ridiculous really.

Catskart
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Catskart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 am

To test them both, I can say that.
SMBX 38A is a remake of original smbx, it adds teascript-vb (see my custom systems in pge forum), easy but a little limited because you can only use commands written in scripting help. (All VB commands don't work in teascript-vb) It adds a lot of stuffs comparing 1.3. (Stuffs without need of teascript).
SMBX 2.0 is a hack opensource (dll injector) of original smbx, it adds LunaLua, a more common programming language, it adds only that but with only that it adds and you can set a lot of things, (See the trailer) so it's more powerful but a little less easy than tea, because you need to have bases to lua.

Those software are very different, I advice you to test both so you have a review to see what version you are more comfortable.

TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby TheGamingCats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am

Catskart wrote:To test them both, I can say that.
SMBX 38A is a remake of original smbx, it adds teascript-vb (see my custom systems in pge forum), easy but a little limited because you can only use commands written in scripting help. (All VB commands don't work in teascript-vb) It adds a lot of stuffs comparing 1.3. (Stuffs without need of teascript).
SMBX 2.0 is a hack opensource (dll injector) of original smbx, it adds LunaLua, a more common programming language, it adds only that but with only that it adds and you can set a lot of things, (See the trailer) so it's more powerful but a little less easy than tea, because you need to have bases to lua.

Those software are very different, I advice you to test both so you have a review to see what version you are more comfortable.
I have both versions, and honestly I read that 2.0 will become the main version of SMBX once it has been officially completed, so I think I'll go for 2.0. LunaLua seems to be the one that everyone uses as well.

My levels

My Project

Catskart
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Catskart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:03 am

TheGamingCats wrote:
Catskart wrote:To test them both, I can say that.

I have both versions, and honestly I read that 2.0 will become the main version of SMBX once it has been officially completed, so I think I'll go for 2.0. LunaLua seems to be the one that everyone uses as well.
Okay, okay.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: squid kid
Current Project: super mario timeline
Chat Username: Koopastea #8422

Postby Rhosty » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 am

2.0 is pretty common, but you can 1.3 and 1.4.4 as well

ok then
Reddit
My Kongregate account
cringey roblox account
I have selective mutism and quite possibly Asperger's

TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby TheGamingCats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 am

practicalshorty014 wrote:2.0 is pretty common, but you can 1.3 and 1.4.4 as well
I see. 2.0 seems to be better upon what I've heard so far.

My levels

My Project

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 am

It's worth pointing out that Catskart's comments are not accurate in two ways. Firstly, SMBX2 does add content as well as just Lua, and with beta 4 in the horizon, we're looking to add over 100 new NPCs in that version alone.

Secondly, Lua is not harder than teascript-vb. A smaller syntax is not necessarily easier to learn (often the opposite), and the availability of Lua resources alongside help spaces like the Codehaus Discord server make it very easy to learn. Not to mention the fact that the language is designed by professionals rather than custom made by one guy for SMBX38A, which means it has a more logical design structure.

TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby TheGamingCats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:04 am

Hoeloe wrote:It's worth pointing out that Catskart's comments are not accurate in two ways. Firstly, SMBX2 does add content as well as just Lua, and with beta 4 in the horizon, we're looking to add over 100 new NPCs in that version alone.

Secondly, Lua is not harder than teascript-vb. A smaller syntax is not necessarily easier to learn (often the opposite), and the availability of Lua resources alongside help spaces like the Codehaus Discord server make it very easy to learn. Not to mention the fact that the language is designed by professionals rather than custom made by one guy for SMBX38A, which means it has a more logical design structure.
I see. Well, 2.0 does seem a lot better than the other versions, considering its still getting updated, and that LunaLua is more powerful than teascript-vb and is more logical.

My levels

My Project

Catskart
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Catskart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Hoeloe wrote:It's worth pointing out that Catskart's comments are not accurate in two ways. Firstly, SMBX2 does add content as well as just Lua, and with beta 4 in the horizon, we're looking to add over 100 new NPCs in that version alone.
100 new npcs made with ???
Hoeloe wrote:Secondly, Lua is not harder than teascript-vb. A smaller syntax is not necessarily easier to learn (often the opposite), and the availability of Lua resources alongside help spaces like the Codehaus Discord server make it very easy to learn. Not to mention the fact that the language is designed by professionals rather than custom made by one guy for SMBX38A, which means it has a more logical design structure.
You find that easy because you are a programmer.
In a personnal experience, I learnt quicker Tea than Lua. (I took 10 minutes to find how to call a function since an event corretly in lua)
Teascript never intented to be a professional programming language like C++ or Java, I consider it like a tool to made advanced possibilities, not as advanced as Lua, I know, but less things make this easier.
Plus, you haven't tested smbx 38A at all, you prove me by said wrong informations before, easy to critized a thing that you haven't tested...

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Catskart wrote:
It's worth pointing out that Catskart's comments are not accurate in two ways. Firstly, SMBX2 does add content as well as just Lua, and with beta 4 in the horizon, we're looking to add over 100 new NPCs in that version alone.
100 new npcs made with ???
Made with Lua, but implemented in a way that for level designers it doesn't matter much. Just like the eight non-1.3 NPCs that are in Beta 3.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Catskart wrote: You find that easy because you are a programmer.
Not true. Just because something is simpler does not mean it is easier to learn. Many 2.0 devs were reasonably proficient in Lua in a week, having never programmed before. If it took you 10 minutes to learn how to call a function, chances are you didn't read any of the numerous tutorials or ask anyone, and even then, 10 minutes is not a long time.

And yes, Teascript-vb was not intended to be "professional", but that is a totally meaningless statement. The tool designed by professionals implements better understanding of core principles, which means even for basic structures the format of the language is more refined. It's not about whether the language was designed for broad use, but whether it was designed by someone who knew what they were doing or not. 38A designed his language without much knowledge of language design or how to best structure the syntax, which leads to a messy and somewhat verbose syntax for his language.

The fact of the matter is that Teascript-vb is an inferior language to Lua is every sense. This does not mean it isn't useful, nor that it doesn't do what it was designed for, it merely means that Lua does the job better.

And as has been pointed out, the fact that the new NPCs are implemented with Lua is entirely irrelevant, since they are packaged with the game, available in the editor, and don't require the designer to touch Lua at all in order to use them.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 am

Catskart wrote:Plus, you haven't tested smbx 38A at all, you prove me by said wrong informations before, easy to critized a thing that you haven't tested...
What exactly did he say wrong?

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 am

IMO Catskart is only giving out inaccurate information because he is convinced that 1.4 is the superior version and trying to force feed it down our throats. Of course it does not work.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Catskart
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Catskart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 am

Electriking wrote:IMO Catskart is only giving out inaccurate information because he is convinced that 1.4 is the superior version and trying to force feed it down our throats. Of course it does not work.
I said nowhere that 1.4 is the superior version, I even say that Lua is more powerful than Tea.
I see a lot more of "2.0 is the superior version" instead that.
Last edited by Catskart on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGamingCats
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby TheGamingCats » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:48 am

Electriking wrote:IMO Catskart is only giving out inaccurate information because he is convinced that 1.4 is the superior version and trying to force feed it down our throats. Of course it does not work.
imo 2.0 is better now

My levels

My Project

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am

Catskart wrote:you're paranoid my poor.
too far

To add i think all of you need to chill down at the moment, this is practically what happens everytime a thread goes into 1.4 or 2.0.

Everyone knows that version xx is the best

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 am

Catskart wrote:I see a lot more of "2.0 is the superior version" instead that.
Which it is.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Return to “General”