Super Community Contest - We have a Winner!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Quantix
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: An Average Adventure

Re: Super Community Contest - Placements 22-11 Revealed!

Postby Quantix » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am

this is a tense situation
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Spoiler: show
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0

Zha Hong Lang
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am

Zipper wrote:Image

literally quill right now

good taste
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?

Re: Super Community Contest - Placements 10-4 Revealed!

Postby Quill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am

Nice game! Would play.

Placements 10-4

10. Zipper - Magma Road (6.914285714/10)
    Aristocrat (7.5/10)
      Design: 25
      Creativity: 30
      Aesthetics: 20
      Review: ZIPPER WHAT THE FUCK
    FrozenQuills (8.1/10)
      Design: 40/50
      Creativity: 26/30
      Aesthetics: 15/20
      Review: This was certainly more than just a "magma road", lol.

The tech in this level is incredible. You actually managed
      to make a good fast paced "Link" level with really solid controls.
      I love the air dash mechanic and it can lead to some fun moments
      just speeding through the level.

The enemies were also really neat. The fast spinies were
      well placed as well as those new rock enemies. It's easy to see
      that the setups got more complex as the level went on with more
      advanced platforming and air dash usage.

There are a few issues, though. I wished more was done with the
      air dash mechanic since it sometimes feels too dangerous
      to use even though it's a lot of fun. The bonus room with the red
      coin is also too difficult for such a minor reward (even though
      you can cheese it). Finally, the player model could use way more
      conveyance as to whether you're slashing high or low.

The boss is absolutely amazing though, and I like how it changes
      it up slightly with the bombs as it went on. My only gripe
      is that the fire attack is a bit too hard to avoid.

In terms of aesthetics, I wished the coloration in the aesthetics
      was a bit more pleasing to the eyes (cause man, that lava is
      really, really bright).

Anyway, this level is still great with some minor issues here and
      there.
    Quill (6.6/10)
      Review: This level was an interesting one. The main character’s ability, while admittedly pretty fun, didn’t synergise well with the level design as the momentum gained often got me hit. The character’s animations could have done with some work too, mainly because the normal stab and downwards stab shared the same animation which doesn’t make sense as the hitboxes are completely different. The level generally wasn’t too impressive, but it kept me entertained and I didn’t feel bored at all, though it didn’t look great on the eyes at all. The boss was actually super neat. The attacks were varied, weren’t too drastically powerful or weak, and the way to beat the boss was using a gimmick introduced in the level. Overall, that boss actually surprised me with how well made it was. If there was one complaint I could give to the boss, it’s that it was a bit of a HP sponge.
      Design: 36/50
      Aesthetics: 4/20
    Sorel (7.3/10)
      HERE I GO

Wow, this level was a lot of fun, despite having a couple of issues.
      First off, the airdash mechanic is really neat, but you didn't really need it as often as you should have.
      I can only count roughly 4 instances where it was requires to get over a pit, and about 2 where it was
      required to progress through the level (spike balls).
      The boss was really neat, but maybe reduce its HP by 2 or 3 cause it kinda drags on after a while.
      Lastly, while I appreciate the Sonic graphics, they didn't mesh well with the Touhou characters, and it had
      a bit of cutoff here and there.

tl;dr: polish the level a bit, and make more use of the airdash.

39/21/13

That said, this is my favourite level in the entire contest.
      I don't know why I enjoyed it as much as I did, but my guess is that the airdash allowed for some nifty
      speedrun-esque playthroughs, which I personally really enjoy.
      It really felt satisfying to zoom over a large distance with an instant airdash jump,
      which had a ridiculous amount of momentum.
      What I probably like the most is the fact that it's a FUN Link level, since Youmu is fast and nimble.
    Spinda (6.9/10)
      The coolest I felt in this level was when I realized you can dash into a slope and gain some really cool momentum and air. Unfortunately, this mechanic felt kind of unintentional as far as the level design goes and is only usable in some rare instances. That said, the character controls pretty well. The added mobility is used fairly well, and while dashing into spiked balls is pretty fun initially, it doesn't really get used much in later encounters with them. The hidden collectibles were placed pretty well and could be obtained either through small sidepaths or extra challenges. That said, the section with the downwards elevator felt pretty out-of-place. As a whole, the cutoff with the flame generators is pretty jarring and kinda ruins the immersion. The boss was pretty fun and I liked how it used the spiked balls in a different way, but it goes on for a bit too long.

35/25/9
    Tltimelord (6/10)
      I found it kinda difficult to judge the distance in which I can hit things and it led to a LOT of deaths early on. I'd say some of the enemies and physics were quite janky, no thanks to smbx. There was a bit of artificial length created using switches to press and while that could have worked two to three times, it made the level a little stale by the time it got to the boss. The gimmick involving the giant spike balls was a nice touch and made a great nod in the bossfight. Speaking of the bossfight, it's a little repetitive, and the voice acting is a little cheesy, but it's a good enough way to end the level. The visuals for the most part are all right. You get some sore thumbs sticking out like default enemy graphics mixed in with this odd style (probably from a genesis game, I have no clue sorry). The music is fine in every section but they don't do a good job at all flowing with each other.
      Design - 2.7/5
      Creativity - 2.1/3
      Aesthetics - 1.2/2
    Waddle Derp (5/10)
      Oh boy, where do I begin. Graphically speaking this level was a bit of a mess. Cutoff everywhere, and stylemixing which just did not look very good. The gameplay was also a little bit all over the place. The air dash took a looong while to get used to especially since I only noticed the charge bar much later into the level and thought that my jump height was causing the issue. The boss was cute I suppose but when I died it suddenly played SMB3 grassland music which was quite the marvelous experience. The lava in the background was also a little hard on the eyes. The mechanics introduced here definitely have potential but they were just a little too wonky in execution. I do hope you patch this up and work around the character more, though! It's definitely an interesting spin on vanilla characters and I really think it could be something cool.

20/25/5

9. PixelPest - Stellar Cave (7.185714286/10)
    Aristocrat (7/10)
      Design: 20
      Review: Ok so you guys know I’m all for showing not telling but holy hell, this level could’ve used some exposition lol. It took me like 10 minutes to properly figure out what the gimmick even does. I really dig this concept, but you leave the player with very little clues on what to do. I didn’t get that you were supposed to run into the spikes, then it took me a while to figure out what revived me, then it took me a while to figure out what killed me, and that water slowed you down while floating up, etc. And even then there were some parts that required stupid precision that I’m not entirely sure I didn’t just happen to clear by pure chance. So overall: cool concept, execution is meh.
    FrozenQuills (8.5/10)
      Design: 38/50
      Creativity: 28/30
      Aesthetics: 19/20
      Review: What an extremely bizarre puzzle level.

At first I had no idea what was going on at all when I died, but after a few tries
      everything started making sense. The level is focused on "spiritual guidance"
      by planning out your death and making your ghost touch the uh... "revival water".
      This is super creative and was great in combination with the screen wrap. I also
      like how the water color indicates where you'll spawn in the level.

There are a few issues with the level though; I feel like everything got
      complicated a bit too fast. Like, the level was introducing a lot of things
      at once and it got a bit overwhelming as to see what's going on. Luckily, there is
      basically no punishment when you "super" die by running out of hearts since each
      room is a checkpoint.

Speaking of hearts, I feel like the question blocks containing them were somewhat
      pointless especially since restarting a room means you're back to 3 hearts anyhow.

Meanwhile, I love how the forth room's solution is to spirit guide with screen wrap,
      and how you have to think out of the box to get the key exit.

So yeah, this is a great level, and I actually wished there was more puzzles in it to
      really expand on the spirit gimmick.
    Quill (7.9/10)
      Review: The idea here was pretty neat and used creatively. It took me a while to truly ‘get it’, but I appreciated that the level gave the player the tools to learn how things worked at a nice pace while providing a healthy amount of checkpoints. Some parts were a bit frustrating, but as mentioned the consistent checkpoints helped make sure that not much progress was lost, which I appreciated. Overall though, this was a great experience!
      Design: 38/50
      Creativity: 27/30
      Aesthetics: 14/20
    Sorel (7.7/10)
      Dying is the easy part

One of the most interesting gimmicks I have ever seen, but unfortunately not communicated well.
      Dying to find out the gimmick is the easy part, but knowing what to do next is where I struggled already.
      It took me 5 minutes to realise that I need to touch the healing water to "revive" in a different
      position, and I didn't even find out you respawned on mushroom BGOs until another judge pointed it out
      during a discussion.
      Other than that, it felt a bit short. It's still a good level though, especially the atmosphere's solid..

tl;dr: make it longer, and perhaps tell a bit more if you're not gonna show it well enough.

33/26/18
    Spinda (7.4/10)
      The concept of this level is really not well-explained at all. I didn't even realize that the shine of the water corresponds with where you spawn until I beat the level, either. That being said, some of the setups are pretty neat, although most of it is pretty straightforward. The coin guides sometimes lie, with places which seem safe initially equalling certain death, which is kind of a bad feeling?

32/25/17
    Tltimelord (7.8/10)
      So, this is an incredibly cool gimmick. However, the player has absolutely no idea how to work it without tedious trial and error, especially considering you don't explain it at all (but you need to explain it to the player). The puzzles are phenomenal, but almost cruel in some spots. You stumped me hard in a couple spots. There IS one jump in section 4 that is damn near impossible and I genuinely thought I was doing the wrong thing for a while due to the way the outlandish gimmick works. From that point on, pretty much all of my jumps felt like they were luck-based. With that saying I am glad you have many checkpoints, because many checkpoints are needed. Since the design is close quarters, certain spots & placements of hazards ensure that the level isn't broken, so props to you on that. As far as the aesthetics go, I'd say they're damn near perfect. I fucking love the space junk galaxy music, and the graphics work together very well, but half the time I'm not sure which vines are actually climbable and I wouldn't mind it if you made it so the grinders didn't make noise.
      Design - 3.8/5
      Creativity - 2.2/3
      Aesthetics - 1.8/2
    Waddle Derp (4/10)
      I did not like this level very much at all. The gimmick is introduced in a really weird way -- how could a player ever be expected to willingly jump into spikes, even if there was a coin trail leading there. Then, the creator commited the most atrocious of crimes: binding a function to a keyboard key rather than a SMBX key. This, for one, makes it impossible for people who play with controllers to utilize the function. Secondly, my controls have the run key bound to "C" so when I opened the level I spent 5 minutes wondering why it kept 'restarting. When I'd gotten through all of that (about an hour later) the gameplay didn't feel very fun at all. The fact that all damage sources rather than just spikes isn't indicated very well, and overall this level struggles to communicate with the player. The mushrooms corresponding with the water, for example, is way too subtle and easily mistaken for a graphical choice rather than an essential gameplay element. On top of that the level was rather difficult and confusing, so overall I did not enjoy it at all. The gimmick itself is really intruiging and made for some incredibly unique gameplay but the execution just drags it down in my opinion.

5/20/15

8. ___a - Untitled (7.214285714/10)
    Aristocrat (8/10)
      Design: 35
      Creativity: 25
      Review: A very witty level that uses an unorthodox gimmick involving glitching through blocks. Only during my second playthrough did I realize what I was even supposed to do at some parts, and sometimes I didn’t know if me glitching to a random position was intended or not, but other than that I had a blast. Though, a better indication on how to handle some situations would have been nice, and at the end I didn’t really know how to reach the pipe, since throwing the springboard and jumping didn’t really work for me. The level was nice to look at, with the BGOs being placed in a calculated fashion that didn’t feel cluttered but still lively. Making an entire level based around glitching through walls is definitely not something you see every day. Bribing the judges with gay Adventure Time fanart unfortunately doesn’t work by the way (maybe a little).
    FrozenQuills (8.3/10)
      Design: 37/50
      Creativity: 27/30
      Aesthetics: 19/20
      Review: What in the world did I just play LOL

This level is pretty much entirely structured around the layer quirks in SMBX, and
      it actually plays pretty well. It's really creative how you're supposed to navigate
      through the walls and blocks.

The springboard jumps felt a bit out of place, but I liked what you did with the
      ending of the level, haha (though I hope such tech won't be abused for more
      malicious purposes)

My main issue with the level is that it was too precise at times, and that it
      could probably use a checkpoint in the middle. I also felt myself wanting a bit more.

Nonetheless, I still found this pretty fun and challenging. Good job.
    Quill (6/10)
      Review: A level where you have to abuse the SMBX engine? Heck yeah!!! Though honestly, while the concept is cool and is definitely used in interesting ways, the SMBX engine is all sorts of nonsense that leads to weird deaths which makes a level revolved around it kinda… annoying. It’s still a very interesting idea and could have worked much better if there wasn’t a reliance on phasing through blocks (as cool as it was).
      Design: 22/50
      Creativity: 28/30
      Aesthetics: 10/20
    Sorel (6.7/10)
      New text document

It took me a while to pick up on how to progress through the sections, but once I did it was
      fairly interesting. That said, this level could have benefited from a midpoint, even if it's quite short.
      There's only one puzzle in particular that was not good,
      and that was the springboard which you had to reach with a low jump. It wouldn't be too bad if you only had one
      shot at it though, otherwise you either have to tank a hit (which was never the case for me as I only reached
      this part as small Mario) or start over at the beginning.

tl;dr: interesting, but needs a midpoint and a bit more content.

35/21/11
    Spinda (7.6/10)
      The gimmick is pretty neat and introduced fairly well. However, the part where you first have to make a rather close jump and then have to do that weird spring jump or else you have to kill yourself is way too punishing, especially since this level has no midpoints. Aside from that, this level has some cool usages of clipping, although some of the setups feel pretty bland in comparison. The final midair spring jump doesn't fit the level at all and explaining it through a YT video shouldn't be the way to go.

34/26/16
    Tltimelord (7.4/10)
      Well, besides the name, this is super creative and super tricky. That seems to be a trend this contest... Well, the general gimmick I THINK was the concept of glitching through walls, but there was also the concept of using a bit of momentum to jump a bit higher with mario, but I don't think so, because that's a physics quirk that's in Yoshi's Island and DEFINITELY not in SMBX (smbx's momentum physics are utter trash let's be honest) so I could be overthinking. There was the 3 rows of 3 blocks that I got kinda stuck at, but otherwise the entire level was really clever and kinda fun! The atmosphere was very odd as the music gave off quite a restaurant-in-Venice vibe, while the visuals were a bit gloomy. They didn't clash with each other by any means but definitely threw up a very odd vibe.
      Design - 4.1/5
      Creativity - 2/3
      Aesthetics - 1.3/2
    Waddle Derp (6.5/10)
      Finally, a block-glitching level that isn't super obnoxious. It's still a little bit obnoxious though, as it punishes the player for making a mistake with an even harder spike jump, which feels a little off considering players who aren't good at the level shouldn't be given harder tasks? Aside from the occasional tough jump or meh-at-best setup, this level pulled some really clever tricks and the atmosphere complimented the gameplay quite well.

30/20/15

7. HenryRichard - Nice Hinterlands (7.285714286/10)
    Aristocrat (7.5/10)
      Design: 30
      Review: Neat, a Megaman level! The combination of Megaman and Kirby enemies was really interesting and I liked the effects on the doors and elevator sections. As someone who’s not familiar with Megaman at all, I had a hard time with the controls and I felt there should’ve been more powerups because most of the time it just felt like a “press A quickly to not die as fast” situation, because the enemies (especially the bunnies holy shit) had so much HP and you had to shoot and dodge at the same time while also trying not to fall off and aaarggh. The boss was nice though.
    FrozenQuills (7.5/10)
      Design: 37/50
      Creativity: 23/30
      Review: I forgot that megaman was in this game.

This really felt like an authentic megaman level. It fits really
      well with megaman's abilities and it's pretty fun to progress
      through as a result. The new enemies are also well placed
      (and VERY well made). I particularly liked how some of the
      robbit setups got more complicated with the waddle dees and
      waddle doos, and the blue fire breathing dog is pretty rad.

However, I feel like the design drops off a bit after the first
      elevator section since it feels too easy defeating those blue dogs and
      avoiding the flames in the second elevator. A few of the drill
      segments also make for a few weird difficulty spikes.
      (e.g. the part with the drills and bomb wall near the beginning)

The boss is kinda laughable as well since it only has
      one attack that's super easy to avoid (though maybe it's a
      joke with megaman's leaf move in super smash bros 4? haha)
    Quill (6.1/10)
      Review: This was pretty fun! Mega Man was used nicely in this level and the design complimented what he could do very well. The different types of enemies were neat and were used well too, though some more variations would have been appreciated to keep things a little more fresh; I did kinda lose track of how many of those bunny guys I had killed. Overall though, it was a solid experience.
      Design: 35/50
      Creativity: 17/30
      Aesthetics: 9/20
    Sorel (5.7/10)
      Have you missed me Megaman?

While I appreciate a Megaman level once in a while, this one felt a bit too easy and featureless.
      Almost all of the enemies didn't pose a threat and the platforming was too simple for the most part.

tl;dr: increase the challenge and adapt it more to Megaman's playstyle.

29/16/12
    Spinda (7.8/10)
      It was really nice to have a Mega Man level, and some of the ways the NPCs were used were quite diverse, like using the dog dudes' flames as obstacles in a bonus area. However, the charge beam killing everything makes most of the enemies a cakewalk to deafeat, which is a shame since they're designed pretty well.The boss was kinda underwhelming and could have used a bit more polish. Graphically, the mix of SMB3 wood tiles with a Mega Man twist was really neat.

37/25/16
    Tltimelord (8.4/10)
      Megaman meets Mario meets Kirby... What an uncanny combination that I never expected to work so well. The bunny enemies are surprisingly annoying as they're noisy and they caused me plenty of deaths. Aside from that gameplay-wise everything played fine. The elevator sections felt a little tedious but at least the podoboo lion made one of them tricky. As for the aesthetic, you basically merged aspects of three different franchises yet little to nothing in this level is clusterfucked, so I must commend you for that.
      Design - 4.2/5
      Creativity - 2.6/3
      Aesthetics - 1.6/2
    Waddle Derp (8/10)
      This level is really cool. It's nice to see megaman put to good use, and although I've never played any megaman game before I got used to the physics pretty quickly and luckily the level is quite fair in terms of difficulty. Some indication as to where the vertical drills spawn would have been nice, but since they were quite slow it was pretty doable despite this. The boss was super neat but really quite easy compared to the rest of the level, but I definitely had fun fighting it.

35/25/20

6. RudeGuy07 - You are Now a Stopwatch (7.285714286/10)
    Aristocrat (8.5/10)
      Design: 40
      Aesthetics: 15
      Review: Finally, I was waiting for someone to make a level based around stopping time, and this one definitely did not disappoint. The setups were all really clever. In fact, sometimes too clever, as at times, I had no idea what I was supposed to do to progress lol. I like how at first you put coins to give hints where the player has to stop time but then later you just kind of drop that, which makes some parts frustrating to figure out, given the short reaction time and a lot of potential to mess up. And by a lot of potential to mess up I mean I got stuck in the first room. I would’ve prefered if the time freeze lasted a bit longer or even if you had the option of stopping/starting time at your own terms, just to figure out what to do. Another problem with the timestop mechanic in SMBX is that sometimes while time is stopped, NPCs just don’t spawn. Luckily, this only happened with non-vital NPCs during my playthrough, but it is definitely something to consider.
    FrozenQuills (8.1/10)
      Design: 35/50
      Creativity: 30/30
      Aesthetics: 16/20
      Review: A REALLY chaotic and awesome gimmick level that needed more checkpoints.

There's SO much creativity with the time stop puzzles here, and it can get pretty
      ridiculous but in a good way. A lot of the level involved using the time stop such
      that things line up just right for the player to move on. I love the falling platform
      setups and the vine puzzles the most since it really showcases how you can
      use the timestop gimmick to do everything just right.

However, there are several issues with this level. There's a LOT of big mario
      discrimination, as nearly every jump over a gap is harder when you're big due to all
      the koopa hopping combined with low ceilings. I found myself avoiding mushrooms purely
      because of the difficult jumps. The level also REALLY needed more checkpoints, preferably
      one for every room, since the methods you need to do to solve each puzzle can get pretty
      convoluted and any mistake is pretty deadly.

Still, this is one of the most creative levels I've seen in this contest, so super
      congrats on that.
    Quill (7.1/10)
      Review: The concept of this level is really amazing and the puzzles are super elaborate and well thought out, but man, I really wish there was more than one checkpoint. Some of the puzzles can get extremely precise and difficult which can make it frustrating to have to repeat so much. This one flaw really lets down the entire level, as multiple well spaced out checkpoints could have solved these issues especially in the second half where the puzzles start to get super crazy. But I have to give a lot of credit to how creative this level is, from the gimmick to how it was used.
      Design: 28/50
      Creativity: 30/30
      Aesthetics: 13/20
    Sorel (5.1/10)
      AKA why is there only one midpoint: the level

I don't think I felt so frustrated in my life before.
      This level right here is the prime example of having too few midpoints to justify its difficulty.
      While the gimmick was pretty cool and creative, the amount of frustration I had over way too punishing setups
      with almost no way of resetting them (the blue doors that reset select parts of the puzzle didn't alleviate
      the problem) just ruined the experience completely.

tl;dr: add midpoints. lots of them. almost everywhere. PLEASE.

15/23/13
    Spinda (6.7/10)
      Some of the setups used in this are pretty fun, but due to having only one midpoint some of the parts are pretty punishing. A good placement for those would be the reset doors, for instance. The way the timestop gimmick is used is rather neat, but too many of the challenges are just "freeze a falling enemy/projectile in midair". Some of the challenges also feel kind of too punishing considering the lack of midpoints.

29/25/13
    Tltimelord (8.5/10)
      This level is pretty gosh darn hard. Your puzzles are absolutely fucking genius and that’s what the super high design score is for. However, it starts to taper off when it comes to the actual gameplay. Most of them are fairly manageable, but there’s a few thwomps in some super cheap positions and it leads to some rage moments - Mostly because you have one checkpoint throughout this entire level, when you really really needed one at the beginning of each section. You did a fantastic job introducing the player to the gimmick and how simple it is and easy to control it is. I just wish you were more forgiving to the player in terms of how it ended up playing out. Also, I think the general basic atmosphere you have going off is really nice too, the clocktower graphics complement the theme really well and are pleasing to the eye.
      Design - 4/5
      Creativity - 2.8/3
      Aesthetics - 1.7/2
    Waddle Derp (7/10)
      Wow, this level had some super cool setups and I would have absolutely loved it if it weren't for its length and difficulty. The gimmick was properly introduced and expanded upon quite well in many, MANY cool setups but as I mentioned before this was also a little bit of a downside considering the abscense of checkpoints and overall difficulty. The graphics didn't look super good either for the different blocks cutting into eachother distracted from the otherwise really cool gameplay.

30/30/10

5. Darkonius - Wetland Waterworks (7.771428571/10)
    Aristocrat (7.5/10)
      Design: 35
      Review: This level does a great job exposing it’s player to the mechanics of the level and then building upon them. The boss is (in typical Darkonius fashion) very goofy and fun, though a little predictable in terms of movement and attack patterns and honestly? kind of unnecessary. I know I always tell you to go for bosses since that’s what you do best but really, this level would’ve done just as good without the boss lol. Other than that, there were a few jumps where the player could get stuck in inconvenient places and die or kill the only way to advance through the level, which is something that could have been prevented. It also wouldn’t have hurt to put the midpoint a bit later, but otherwise there is not much to say about this level other than it was good.
    FrozenQuills (8/10)
      Design: 41/50
      Creativity: 23/30
      Aesthetics: 16/20
      Review: This felt like a world 1 level, but a real good one at that.

It's a bit rompy at first, but I liked where the level went with the
      nets and falling logs. It's very easy to go through, but the platforming
      and net climbing was interesting; you need to plan your jumps accordingly.
      I also liked how it increased in complexity by combining the nets
      and falling logs around and after the midpoint.

And (in true Darkonius fashion) the boss is really neat. It's simple,
      but fun in that you have to dodge projectiles in multiple ways
      using the nets. It's very forgiving and very polished.

All in all, this is a pretty simple yet great level.
    Quill (7/10)
      Review: I loved this level’s emphasis on climbing! The climbable moving layers was a surprisingly neat idea which helped keep the first part of the level fresh and interesting. The second part of the level kept things a little too safe for me, keeping things too similar to the first half and not introducing things to keep up the variety, but it was still fairly fun to play through regardless. The boss was neat and so was its attacks, but I wasn’t the biggest fan of how the boss ends up just standing around waiting for the player to attack during parts of the fight. Some kind of attack could have been added there. Overall though, this was a fun experience.
      Design: 34/50
      Creativity: 22/30
      Aesthetics: 14/20
    Sorel (8.1/10)
      Featuring Gyarados from the Pokemon series

A super charming level with a good gimmick and nice atmosphere.

tl;dr: I have nothing in particular I could critize, damn.

39/24/18
    Spinda (7.6/10)
      This level was super charming, from the fish trying to climb the waterfall to the smol frogs and the Gyarados. The frogs were not used all that often which kept them feeling fresh. The moving fences are a neat concept but they could be used a little bit more. Although there were some neat setups done with them, some of those felt a bit too similar've been better.

37/20/19
    Tltimelord (8.7/10)
      I'm gonna start off by saying for the most part I really like the composition of this level. Everything, visually, fits together really well (although the goombas look kind of awkward). With all of that and the music, I really get the vibe of something meant for a fullfledged game. Now the two primary gimmicks, the falling logs and the flying fences, work together in this level perfectly! You combine them together in really basic but really nice ways and they complement each other very well gameplay-wise. Aside from a few sketchy jumps, really nice there. As for the design, I find it feeling surprisingly fresh for most of the level. It seemed you knew when the design was starting to lose its magic with the flying platforms alone, you introduce the logs and in came the slightly more difficult second half. Right when you could do about as much as you thought you could with those gimmicks together, you introduced the boss. Now, the boss is a little weak compared to the rest of the level. It was a little too predictable and only had a couple different attacks. One for the first hit, the second for the second hit, and then together before the final hit. It kind of ended off on a low note.
      Sidenote: Now there were one or two issues involving a koopa despawning in the climbing section. I tinkered with that bit as much as I could and there's just nothing I could do, it's just smbx physics being stupid. It took away from the experience for a couple moments but I'm not going to dock you for it, there's nothing anyone could do, least not without lua. Sorry...
      Design - 4.6/5
      Creativity - 2.3/3
      Aesthetics - 1.8/2
    Waddle Derp (7.5/10)
      Gee, I wonder who made this one. This was a pretty solid level, with the biggest downside being the lack of a second checkpoint or maybe its early placement which made dying in the second half pretty bad. Aside from that there were some setups from which the player could not get back, making the only way out killing yourself which is never a good thing. The boss was cute but I didn't really care for its attack patterns. Aesthetics were spot-on, and the froggos were super cute.

40/20/15

4. The0x539 - Underside (8.085714286/10)
    Aristocrat (7/10)
      Design: 30
      Review: The most difficult part for me in this level was getting a hold of the controls. The jetpack mechanic and how it handles momentum is rather hard to control, to the point where even simple jumps become a challenge. Throwing precise jumping at the player right after introducing them to wonky physics is really harsh. It would’ve been a bit more redeemable if there were more than one checkpoint in the level. It also would’ve been nice to have some sort of indication how the jetpack works and that the fireballs are always available to you. Handling flying and shooting at the same time or in short timeframes was also very irritating. At times there were too many bats (especially those with follow-AI) and things got messy. The secret star was hidden in a clever spot though. The background was also sometimes distracting, as the clouds move very fast, but that’s a minor thing. Overall very ambitious, though sadly weak in terms of execution.
    FrozenQuills (9.1/10)
      Design: 45/50
      Aesthetics: 20/20
      Review: What a great, well executed level!

Even though this level only had bats as its enemies, the level design
      around the jetpack gimmick is amazing. I really love how you need to fly
      around the structures carefully while managing the jetpack fuel.
      The fact that stepping on the bats refills your fuel really aids in
      creative design as well, especially with the part right before the midpoint.

The second half is a vertical autoscroller, and what makes it great is
      that it switches the design from careful flight planning to reaction-based
      gameplay. Killing all the erratic bats at the end while flying around was
      also a lot of fun.

My problems with the level are that it could probably use a checkpoint
      in the first half and that the ability to fly sideways was never really used
      and could have been left out entirely. In fact, that ability kind of hurts
      the level since it's possible to accidentally fly sideways to your doom if
      you're not holding up.

I still found this to be a blast to play though; awesome job.
    Quill (8.1/10)
      Review: Great level! The main gimmick was super fun to play around with and allowed for some great platforming. I really wish there was an additional checkpoint halfway through the main first section though. There’s a lot of ground to cover and since it's the introductory part of the level’s main gimmick, an additional checkpoint would have been appreciated. It gets tiresome having to repeat so much when you just had to make a blind jump (granted there are bats, yeah, but it can still be tricky) or you happen to die before the main checkpoint. Aside from this though, the level was great, kept things varied and was fun to play.
      Design: 40/50
    Sorel (8.5/10)
      Cave Story is a synonym for Undertale when you think about it

A really nice level focusing on its gimmick in different setups and situations.
      The only thing I can really criticize is the end of the level.
      Having to kill a couple of crows for the star to show up was kind of unfitting.

tl;dr: very good level.

43/24/18
    Spinda (8.2/10)
      Using the booster in this level was pretty fun! It felt quite responsive and it was used pretty well. Most of the setups were fun, however the chasing Parakoopa behavior is kind of a pain to avoid, even with the added mobility of the booster. Additionally, landing on enemies moving horizontally felt kind of weird due to the way the booster makes you approach enemies. Normally, enemies like this are set up in a way that approaching them as a normal character makes the jumps line up due to the fact that Mario's jump distance, height and length are preeetty consistent assuming you have decent momentum and hold the button. With the booster, however, this can't be guaranteed and as such jumping on these kinds of enemies feels pretty weird. The autoscroll section moved fast enough to feel like a genuine threat but not too fast. The final encounter with a bunch of bats comes out of nowhhere and wasn't really necessary to the level. Additionally, it seems kinda easy for one of the bats to go offscreen and despawn, rendering the level unbeatable. Aesthetically, this level looked very nice and the parallax scrolling in the background was used to a good effect.

37/26/19
    Tltimelord (8.2/10)
      Really charming level, really cool controls, really tricky and frustrating jumps. That pretty much sums up the level for me. I'll be honest when I say the concept is amazing but the controls take quite a bit of adjusting to and you don't really give the player the time to adjust to those controls. The bats that show up are a really cute addition but sometimes they're placed in really annoying spots. The second half with the climb was kinda fun and, being such a short level, I really wanted to play more. Aesthetically, this feels like its entire own game, so props to you!
      Design - 4.4/5
      Creativity - 2/3
      Aesthetics - 1.8/2
    Waddle Derp (7.5/10)
      Jetpack toad for beta 4. This level was really cool and I want to know what the inspiration is because the graphics looked really pretty. The gameplay took some getting used to as SMBX's terrible acceleration physics made the precision platforming a real pain. Luckily I found out that moving upwards stops all X-momentum, which made it a little more bearable but the level was still quite harsh in that regard. The bats having different AIs was a neat touch but the lack of graphical indication for this made them hard to play around. The secret star was really clever, too.

35/20/20

Snessy the duck
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Top 3 hype!

Also I still really hope the episode is gonna be like the LCJ one.
I'm da' coolest duck around!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493.

Check out my Super Duper Awesome Pipeline of levels if ya' like!

My real name is Anton, in case you'd like to know for some reason.

ImageImageImage

Salazzle is my waifu

RudeGuy07
Luigi
Luigi
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: totally not rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy07 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am

YEA 6TH
im bored

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

this is my final ohoho

taaaake iiiiit

The0x539
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: SMBX2
Chat Username: The0x539

Postby The0x539 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 am

wew
quotes: show
TheKidCodee wrote:Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote:I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote:please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote:that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote:aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote:I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Current Project: It's a secret for now...
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:28 am

Ay ninth place. Thanks Waddle :/

I honestly didn't want to explain it a lot and wanted it to be more of a puzzle/explorative level instead of just tell the player exactly what to do
My current project. (Demo 0.1 has been released!)

Check out a new dead SMBX Discord server; bots, media, VIP, and more: https://discord.gg/edgBUVM

Check out some cool LunaLua stuff:

My Graphics Pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12472

My Levels: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16349

Snessy the duck
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 am

Zipper wrote:this is my final ohoho

taaaake iiiiit

I'm da' coolest duck around!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493.

Check out my Super Duper Awesome Pipeline of levels if ya' like!

My real name is Anton, in case you'd like to know for some reason.

ImageImageImage

Salazzle is my waifu

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

Why does sorel need tldrs for one line reviews? I have no idea how his score came to be from reading the reviews. "I have nothing to criticise" sounds like 100/100"
Grand Extravaganza Fan Reviews
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Postby Quill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 am

Enjl wrote:Why does sorel need tldrs for one line reviews?

That's super nitpicky and you know it.

Inspirited
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Inspirited » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am

Agreed with the judges on PixelPests level (from what I saw). I'd love you to reuse this gimmick though and make more with it!
I don't make episodes.

ivanmegafanboy
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Making levels casually. And University. And 1cc this thing called Touhou.

Postby ivanmegafanboy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:07 pm

The top 10 levels sure sound a hell of interesting. Also, a link level in the top 10 is something we all need.

Sorel wrote: It's not really the mushrooms, it's the amount of projectile spam in that section. You can't really do anything against the majoriy of it since they are encased in blocks.

In a sense that was my vision, a bullet hell survival, but I should have made it less spammy. My only desire is to make that concept to work properly (ala bossedit school, even if I am bad at it lol)
I like editing levels
Check them out at: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16926

I support
Also The Great Castle Adventure Remake

Zha Hong Lang
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Quill wrote:

No, it's really not. Summarizing a summary is not always necessary (though it can be beneficial), and summarizing one that's just a little longer than your TL;DR is just laughable.

Overall Sorel is not really a bad judge, but the TL;DRs don't need to be included in every review.

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Postby Quill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Zha Hong Lang wrote:
Quill wrote:

No, it's really not. Summarizing a summary is not always necessary (though it can be beneficial), and summarizing one that's just a little longer than your TL;DR is just laughable.

Overall Sorel is not really a bad judge, but the TL;DRs don't need to be included in every review.

It's nitpicky because it's literally complaining about the most minor of things.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Quill wrote:

The point of the review is to gice extended thoughts that ideally justify your score ranking of the entires. If half of a review is a summary of the other half and neither half really says much, I'm having trouble reading this justification. It wouldn't have hurt the reviews to go more in-depth and discard the idea of tldr-ing them, because if someone wants to have the feedback, they will read it. If they don't, they'll skip the tldr too.
And no, that was not super nitpicky and I didn't think it was. It's a concern I have because I've been judging and seeing others judge things for years and I've never seen someone do tldrs amost as long as their reviews.

E: haha 'most minor of things' as in 'shortest reviews ever'
I'm not saying Sorel should never be picked up as a judge again because of half-assed execution on the criticism front, but if you call this nitpicking then you might aswell encourage your judges to stop writing text reviews entirely (which can work, but does make it harder for people to get into a judge's head)
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.

Waddle Derp
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Waddle Derp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm

PixelPest wrote:Ay ninth place. Thanks Waddle :/

I honestly didn't want to explain it a lot and wanted it to be more of a puzzle/explorative level instead of just tell the player exactly what to do

I think this one's partially on me for being the only one to have their run button bound to "C" but that amongst other things just sort of ruined the experience for me; I hope I was able to justify my views with my comment regardless.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Awh shit Quill you complained about the backtracking in RhysOwens level. That's super nitpicky and you know it. Now get a grip, your arguing is embarassing.
Muh favourite quotes:

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Chat Username: Robin

Postby Megar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:50 pm

because having to do something you've already done is excellent level design
drop the shit, enjl
"Our bonds give me strength!"

Zha Hong Lang
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Megar wrote:because having to do something you've already done is excellent level design
drop the shit, enjl

You're missing his point entirely. He's being pretty rude about it, but Quill has as well.

Return to “General”