What the heck happend to the level editor?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Ananymoos
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Current Project: Project L
Location: Washington, US
Chat Username: DanTheCreator
Contact:

What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Ananymoos » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 pm

I just came back to SMBX and i got version 2.0. I wanted to make a level but when the editor loaded up, holy jesus i was confused. I have to relearn everything now since i have no freaking clue how to use this editor.
Now one of the main reasons i started playing SMBX was the easy to use editor. It even says on the main page "Easy to use, real-time level editor with thousands of objects to choose from" but now all you have is this cluster fuck level editor that new people would not even know how to use! The older editor was straight forward and easy to use. The 1.4.4 editor takes things a little overboard as well. I tried to make a level but i was clueless on shit that so simple on the older editor! The 1.4.2 editor is sorta like 1.3 editor but with some more added features and stuff. Oh yeah also the 2.0 editor was very cramped and disorganized and i just could not make a level in that editor no matter what i did. The damn editor is no longer easy to use and new players will be clueless trying to use these new editors and i think it should be a hands on easy to use editor instead of the cluster fuck that is the 2.0 editor and the and the feature fuck 1.4.4 editor.
What are you lookin at?
Im not used to the fourms :?
I started playing SMBX in 2015 but then I stopped playing it due to the lack of updates. I came to revisit it this year, and boy finally some updates started rolling in 8-)
I have the lack of inspiration for levels and also ideas so idk. The new level editors are just cluster f*cks that im clueless about.

User avatar
MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Central Okanagan
Chat Username: Punchya

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby MrPunchia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:24 pm

This is why tutorials exist, not everything needs to be user-friendly

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby The0x539 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 am

Image
try this

there are growing pains, and it's not without flaws, but it is objectively a superior editor
quotes: show
Ryaa wrote: I really do appreciate you showing me the true meaning of butts and I will take this information with me to bed
Enjl wrote: people in my high school struggled with vectors and i was like "what how it's literally an arrow"
rockythechao wrote: so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Like, just ask yourselves this: What Would Sauron Do?
TheKidCodee wrote: Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote: I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote: please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote: that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote: aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote: I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am
Current Project: idk lol
Location: Denmark

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 am

You can still use the Legacy Editor in 2.0 (It's located in the data folder)
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

User avatar
Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 am
Current Project: sos
Location: Turkey
Chat Username: ZipperQR
Contact:

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Zipper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 am

or just learn the new one cause it's g o o d i e

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Current Project: a random smw hack
Location: idk
Chat Username: totally not rudeguy

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 am

you say the old editor was better but i don't remember an undo button there
im bored

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am
Current Project: idk lol
Location: Denmark

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 am

RudeGuy07 wrote:you say the old editor was better but i don't remember an undo button there
I also don't remember you could select multiple things at once, nor copy pasting either.
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: Cytoid Charts
Location: Philippines

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Radiance » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:21 am

Legacy editor has better layer and events window

User avatar
AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1060
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm
Current Project: SMB TLL
Location: If anyone complains about the avatar I drew on my profile, I will slap you in the face with a meat c

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby AirSeus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 am

It may look weird at first, but believe me, when you start getting used to it, it is amazing, it holds custom graphics a fuck lot better than the legacy editor, which I praise it highly for. At the start, I used to think the same as you, I didn't understand it at all, I hated the new 2.0 PGE Editor, but now I have gotten used to it, it's amazing.
"If you don't get the egg, it will fuck you" - Sanct 2017

"Please don't show me Roblox porn" - PlushTubes brother 2017

"Gays are gay" -Sanct 2017
Spoiler: show
Image
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/

Support meh newer project y'all (30/01/2017)
Image

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby The0x539 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:00 am

Snessy the duck wrote:You can still use the Legacy Editor in 2.0 (It's located in the data folder)
please don't do this
Mr Briney wrote:Legacy editor has better layer and events window
why do people say this
quotes: show
Ryaa wrote: I really do appreciate you showing me the true meaning of butts and I will take this information with me to bed
Enjl wrote: people in my high school struggled with vectors and i was like "what how it's literally an arrow"
rockythechao wrote: so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Like, just ask yourselves this: What Would Sauron Do?
TheKidCodee wrote: Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote: I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote: please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote: that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote: aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote: I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: Cytoid Charts
Location: Philippines

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Radiance » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

The0x539 wrote:
Mr Briney wrote:Legacy editor has better layer and events window
why do people say this
Because it's really better. But I won't use 1.3.0.1 just because of the layer and events window, though.
Last edited by Radiance on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby The0x539 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:08 am

Mr Briney wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
Mr Briney wrote:Legacy editor has better layer and events window
why do people say this
Because it's really better.
quotes: show
Ryaa wrote: I really do appreciate you showing me the true meaning of butts and I will take this information with me to bed
Enjl wrote: people in my high school struggled with vectors and i was like "what how it's literally an arrow"
rockythechao wrote: so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Like, just ask yourselves this: What Would Sauron Do?
TheKidCodee wrote: Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote: I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote: please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote: that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote: aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote: I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: Cytoid Charts
Location: Philippines

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Radiance » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am

Oh, I forgot the strike

EDIT: Fixed

User avatar
Ananymoos
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Current Project: Project L
Location: Washington, US
Chat Username: DanTheCreator
Contact:

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Ananymoos » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Im learning to use the editor but it will still be a cramped cluster fuck for new users that have never played SMBX before.
What are you lookin at?
Im not used to the fourms :?
I started playing SMBX in 2015 but then I stopped playing it due to the lack of updates. I came to revisit it this year, and boy finally some updates started rolling in 8-)
I have the lack of inspiration for levels and also ideas so idk. The new level editors are just cluster f*cks that im clueless about.

User avatar
Softster-SMBX
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:17 am

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Softster-SMBX » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:15 pm

We all the 2.0 legacy edior has better events and layers.

User avatar
Hoeloe
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 pm

I can only think there must be something wrong with your eyes if this:
Spoiler: show
Image
Looks more "cramped" than this:
Spoiler: show
Image
On the subject of "better events and layers", I would take issue there.

The layers panel is visually almost the same, but PGE provides proper layer reordering and better deletion without randomly shuffling all your layer attachments.
As for events, both layouts have their merits, but again PGE provides neater functionality. I believe the event window in PGE will be getting a redesign anyway, though, so I wouldn't worry about that.

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2585
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Chat Username: too long to fit here
Contact:

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Cedur » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Ananymoos wrote:Im learning to use the editor but it will still be a cramped cluster fuck for new users that have never played SMBX before.
You can actually be expected to have played the game and be familiar with its mechanics before making levels of your own.

PGE really is incredibly more user-friendly than the legacy editor (and it also comes with some tutorials). Or would you actually prefer an editor where
> you don't have an undo function
> you can't search for objects you already placed and where you also can't search for the other end of a warp
> you can't open levels from the world map / hub (especially when looking for things in other levels / episodes)
> you can't select or delete multiple items at once (unless you assign them to a layer which is also time-consuming af)
> you always end up selecting an item and accidentally moving it around whenever you want to change its properties
> you always have to click "level settings" and scroll down every time you wanna switch sections
> you can't move around the level with your mouse
> tiles and items are barely sorted
> the font is crap
etc etc
Image

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

User avatar
Ananymoos
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Current Project: Project L
Location: Washington, US
Chat Username: DanTheCreator
Contact:

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Ananymoos » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Cedur wrote:
Ananymoos wrote:Im learning to use the editor but it will still be a cramped cluster fuck for new users that have never played SMBX before.
You can actually be expected to have played the game and be familiar with its mechanics before making levels of your own.

PGE really is incredibly more user-friendly than the legacy editor (and it also comes with some tutorials). Or would you actually prefer an editor where
> you don't have an undo function
> you can't search for objects you already placed and where you also can't search for the other end of a warp
> you can't open levels from the world map / hub (especially when looking for things in other levels / episodes)
> you can't select or delete multiple items at once (unless you assign them to a layer which is also time-consuming af)
> you always end up selecting an item and accidentally moving it around whenever you want to change its properties
> you always have to click "level settings" and scroll down every time you wanna switch sections
> you can't move around the level with your mouse
> tiles and items are barely sorted
> the font is crap
etc etc
You do have a point.
What are you lookin at?
Im not used to the fourms :?
I started playing SMBX in 2015 but then I stopped playing it due to the lack of updates. I came to revisit it this year, and boy finally some updates started rolling in 8-)
I have the lack of inspiration for levels and also ideas so idk. The new level editors are just cluster f*cks that im clueless about.

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2585
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Chat Username: too long to fit here
Contact:

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:01 pm

I also forgot to mention that you can't copy-paste on the legacy editor either. :>
Image

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

User avatar
superfido2
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 pm
Current Project: WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Location: Nowhere and everywhere
Chat Username: Superfido2

Re: What the heck happend to the level editor?

Postby superfido2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm

I'd probably most likely have a harder time with legacy than PGE if I was presented both at the same time.
Signed by: A person

Things that you should support as well
Image
Quotes: show
Enjl wrote: like why is the cutscene sparking the adventure set up by someone teleporting behind the main character, stabbing him in the back and saying an equivalent to "nothin personell kid"
Memes: show
ImageImageImage


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Darkonius Mavakar, MECHDRAGON777 and 13 guests