Please Don't Use SMBX 38A - Here's Why

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Please Don't Use SMBX 38A - Here's Why

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 am

So you probably know me, the guy who, despite the name, doesn't use SMBX. However, that doesn't mean that I haven't seen some causes for concern - namely, the new SMBX38A version. Here are some reasons why you may want to rethink it.

1. It's glitchy without prompt fixes. You may be wondering if Wohlstand hosts it on his forum, why doesn't he fix it? He surely has the skill. You'll find out in the next...

2. It's not open-source. This means that Wohlstand cannot do prompt glitch fixes and you have to wait on the very scarce updates. This is because he says there are secret features hidden that he does not want people to find easily, such as a music compressor tool. These dev-tools are fine to have, but not when they compromise the integrity of the game because you don't want to remove them before releasing the source.

3. It ruins 1.3 projects (I think) - This is not appropriate to new users, but I think that there is no way to convert a project back to 1.3 once you even OPEN it in 38A's editor.

4. The developer is a jerk - When people misunderstood his feature that you can choose to not select BGOs, he threatened that if no one could prove it was a bug one important feature would be removed in the next update. Do you trust this man?

So I am sorry if this seems abrasive, but I do not trust the developer of this project to have what would be best in mind above his own grievances and opinions.

I suggest to support SMBX 2.0 instead due to the developers being very approachable and collaborating well.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Re: Please Don't Use SMBX 38A - Here's Why

Postby Eri7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 am

38A's engine is more of a risky decision because you never know if the developer has abandoned his engine but its more user friendly and has more functions than beta 3 (but it has worse scripting language) , your points are right but the engine is not bad.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 am

Eri7 wrote:its more user friendly than beta 3

TBH, the only reason I have 38A is to play 38A episodes and levels.
Signatures are overrated.

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: The Invasion ln [(π*420/e²)] + log (69*1337¹³)
Chat Username: Thg1

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:54 am

Tbh my only problem with 38A is the developer. He is pretty unprofessional in general, and he really doesn't make what could be the better decisions for his engine. If he let more people help I am sure that 1.4 would be better than it is now.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
My greatest forum achievement:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 am

All things considered SMBX2's world map editor currently can't even compare with 38A's in terms of features.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)

Postby Eri7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 am

Electriking wrote:
Eri7 wrote:its more user friendly than beta 3

TBH, the only reason I have 38A is to play 38A episodes and levels.
A lot of the things are easily accessible and don't look as complicated as PGE , when I picked up PGE I was confused on what thing does what but because of the familiarity with 1.3, it was easier for me to learn how to use the editor in 38A , also there are some stuff that don't work on PGE like adding custom music through event but 1.3 has it so this forces you to learn Luna lua to implement something that was already in 1.3.
More so we don't need to install notepad ++ for 38A to write scripts , for 2.0 most people probably wouldn't know this unless they are in the forums or in the discord chat to ask how to do it.One thing I would like 2.0 to have is scripting help Manuel because as I said earlier , there might be people that don't know about the forums and wouldn't know from where to start ( I started because I asked for help in the discord channel for 2.0) but what about the other people.(well there is the possibility for people to google it up and check how to do it but not everyone will do that)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 am

Eri7 wrote:also there are some stuff that don't work on PGE like adding custom music through event but 1.3 has it so this forces you to learn Luna lua to implement something that was already in 1.3.
Bad example because it's false.
Here's a setup:
Make sure the box is unchecked.
ImageImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:27 am

Enjl wrote:
Eri7 wrote:also there are some stuff that don't work on PGE like adding custom music through event but 1.3 has it so this forces you to learn Luna lua to implement something that was already in 1.3.
Here's a setup:
You can't do that with 2 seperate custom music's in one section.(also this was my mistake because I didn't elaborate enough on this point)
Last edited by Eri7 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 am

Eri7 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Here's a setup:
You can't do that with 2 seperate custom music's in one section.
You couldn't do that in 1.3 either.
You CAN do it with music.ini in SMBX2, without writing lua.
ImageImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 am

Enjl wrote:
Eri7 wrote:
Enjl wrote: Bad example because it's false.
Here's a setup:
You can't do that with 2 seperate custom music's in one section.
OK then fair enough , I admit I'm wrong. I don't want to continue this topic because that's clearly to promote 2.0 over 38A because of 38A's weaknesses as an engine.You can play whatever you want , its ur choice .

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Mah GFX Pack (Containing Sega Mega Drive style, PC Engine style, & 16-bit Monochrome GFXs)
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:35 am

Okay, now I can't decide on which version of Super Mario Bros. X to play for one whole reason.

The creator of SMBX 1.4.x is a jerk, and so are some of the 2.0 beta 3 supporters.* :shock:

*At least to me tbh

OlieGamerTV
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Chat Username: MarioboyFan602

Postby OlieGamerTV » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:36 am

Eri7 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Eri7 wrote: You can't do that with 2 seperate custom music's in one section.
OK then fair enough , I admit I'm wrong. I don't want to continue this topic because that's clearly to promote 2.0 over 38A because of 38A's weaknesses as an engine.You can play whatever you want , its ur choice .
i only have 38A on my PC just to test 38A levels.
My Projects
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 31&t=20473

I Support These Projects

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:01 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Okay, now I can't decide on which version of Super Mario Bros. X to play for one whole reason.

The creator of SMBX 1.4.x is a jerk, and so are some of the 2.0 beta 3 supporters.* :shock:

*At least to me tbh
But some 1.4 supporters are also jerks. And tbh you should not judge a game based on the community. The fact that 38A is a jerk is enough to put 2.0 ahead of 1.4 imo.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:17 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Okay, now I can't decide on which version of Super Mario Bros. X to play for one whole reason.

*At least to me tbh
Anywhere you go on the Internet there are people who will be jerks. Also the choice to play a certain version should not be based on which fanbase has less jerks

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Eri7 wrote: More so we don't need to install notepad ++ for 38A to write scripts
You don't need it to write LunaLua scripts. You can use normal Notepad, although it is the LunaLua equivalent of MS Paint.
While I agree with most of the points in the topic, I don't agree with the existence of this topic. One should have both if they want access to every level and episode.

AeroMatter
Palom
Palom
Flair: Tamer of Boomers
Chat Username: luigi

Postby AeroMatter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:19 pm

The developer should be encouraged to make the project open source, and have it well documented. Discouraging people from using 1.4 when they already want to use it won't work too well. The fact that it's closed source and the developer uses that against users is reason enough to not use it, so that should change before more people get hold of that version of the editor.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:29 pm

I never understood the general negativity towards 38A and then subsequent direct promotion of 2.0 over completely trivial matters. 38A's SMBX is unarguably a disaster, but at the same time it's doing no considerate harm that people use it in the first place, every aspect of how it's absolutely terrible for the community seems to be fabricated by people who namedrop 2.0 casually into their posts. 2.0 is a wonder in itself, but to blame 38A for being a jerk and then actively ignoring the jerks surrounding 2.0's development is clear cut bias. I and other people can vouch for the general concerns over users being uninterested in 2.0 because of the seemingly heavy and sole reliance on Lua, and those users are met with "git gud" comments, straight from the 2.0 developers themselves even. What is that supposed to represent, exactly?
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:44 am

Danny wrote:I never understood the general negativity towards 38A and then subsequent direct promotion of 2.0 over completely trivial matters. 38A's SMBX is unarguably a disaster, but at the same time it's doing no considerate harm that people use it in the first place, every aspect of how it's absolutely terrible for the community seems to be fabricated by people who namedrop 2.0 casually into their posts. 2.0 is a wonder in itself, but to blame 38A for being a jerk and then actively ignoring the jerks surrounding 2.0's development is clear cut bias. I and other people can vouch for the general concerns over users being uninterested in 2.0 because of the seemingly heavy and sole reliance on Lua, and those users are met with "git gud" comments, straight from the 2.0 developers themselves even. What is that supposed to represent, exactly?
What jerkiness have the developers of 2.0 done?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji
Chat Username: TNG

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:18 am

FanofSMBX wrote: What jerkiness have the developers of 2.0 done?
None.
I believe in my signature as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Catskart
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Catskart » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 am

Hey FanofSMBX, Long time no see ! Image

How are you since you announced to me, during his development, in Deviant Art that Larry's Long Escape is illegal ? Image
By the way, it's because the illegality that you canceled the SMM sprites. Image
Oh, but you're promoting a software which is illegal because I don't remember that there is a permission from Nintendo. I thought that you won't show appreciation to them... Image
That's strange, don't you ? Image

And the strangiest thing is that you announced only to me that my project is illegal, and you incited me implicitly and indirectely to cancel my project because it's illegal by taking your SMM sprite as an example...

But yeah, neither you neither any 2.0 community member did wrong things... Image

Return to “General”