SMBX - 2018 Level Contest

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: A wooden coaster in RCT3 (currently...)
Chat Username: Morse

SMBX - 2018 Level Contest

Postby Wazaap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 am

Last edited by Wazaap on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Re: SMBX - 2018 Level Contest

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Anyone who posts their levels (as usual) 5 or more days after the Deadline, they will be under a three-day disqualification (except people on my 'Friends' list).
What's the point of the three-day disqualification if you can only get it after the deadline is over, and why do people on your friends list not have that restriction?
*Levels must not be short, nor have SMB3 exits.
*Please do NOT post levels that have lack of NCPs, Scenery, etc. , but other levels are fine.
Why?
*Please include any other people's GFX's used by sending links.
What do you mean by that? Can't we just include them in the level folder?
If you need any help, be greatful to contact me on Google+ or Youtube, and I'll help you out.
Why can't we just use this thread? Also, how are we supposed to contact you if you don't have any info on your profiles?

Also, there's no rule against submitting a level we've already released, nor what versions are allowed. I'm sorry, but this contest doesn't make sense.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:13 pm

+Anton The 1st rule is about the expiration of the deadline, and my Friends have no restriction because I don't want them upset...

The 3rd rule is that they can look good, or something like that...

At the 4th rule I forgot to say the level folders sry (or did I say inccorectly idk)...

And the last one is that you can PM me, OR you can contact me on the two Social sites... And i DO have a Youtube channel And a google account!!!

Anyways, Are u criticizing my standard, or aren't you following the rules?!
Finally interested in sarcasm :|

Don't forget to follow me on Youtube & Google+!

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Wazaap wrote:+Anton The 1st rule is about the expiration of the deadline, and my Friends have no restriction because I don't want them upset...
The rules aren't fair if some people don't have to follow them just because they're your friends. You should either make it so everyone follows it, or no one does. If you're friends don't submit before the deadline, it's their problem for not getting the level ready on time. They'll just have to deal with it like everyone else.
Wazaap wrote:The 3rd rule is that they can look good, or something like that...
I get your point, but that doesn't have to be a rule, since it's just a case of if it isn't a good level, it'll just get a bad score.

Also, I don't think you're allowed to enforce bans. That's the job of the moderators/admins. But I guess the things you mentioned are the sort of things people might get bans for anyway (but I'm not exactly sure, you'll have to ask a moderator about that).

On a different note, is there any specific theme for this contest, or is it just anything goes?
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

On specific conditions... And they should follow the rules anyway.

I get ur point
Last edited by Wazaap on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Wazaap wrote:And the last one is that you can PM me, OR you can contact me on the two Social sites... And i DO have a Youtube channel And a google account!!!
I mean you don't link to them anywhere, so how are we supposed to find them?

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm

+Anton Go in my profile, and there you'll find the 'VIEW GOOGLE+ and VIEW YOTUBE CHANNEL', and there's a link beside it

Hope it helped :D

TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby TDK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

I would recommend having an exact time for the deadline (e.g. 1st of March 12:00PM UTC).
The deadline should not be so far away, as this contest will be forgotten by March. Having the deadline in early to mid February might be better.
Also you may want to have multiple judges for your contest rather than just one.
And for your rules, they seem to very random. For example, why are SMB3 exits banned?

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Wazaap wrote:will be disqualified (or Banned, if possible).
Also anyone who posts things that do not apply to this topic (i.e. Mature content, jokes, insults, etc.) will be given a permanent ban.
I don't know what you mean by a "ban", but I feel like since you mentioned it in addition to being disqualified I feel like it maybe means something else. Also it is the mods' jobs to control mature content, etc. and you have no control over bans.
Deadline will be 1 March 2018.
As previously mentioned, you should set a specific time within a specific time zone. Also usually when contests have deadlines over a month away they just die out because people forget about them.
Anyone who posts their levels (as usual) 5 or more days after the Deadline, they will be under a three-day disqualification (except people on my 'Friends' list).
Any violation caught on this topic, that person(s) will be banned...
How can someone be disqualified for three days? Not sure how that works. Also it's awful that you're saying that the deadline doesn't apply to people on your friends list; that's completely unfair. And the deadline appears to be really lenient. Can't you just cut it off? People have over a month to make a level. Again the banning thing?
*You may only post one level
*You are only allowed to post on the Submission Period.
Also usually people aren't allowed to post their contest levels before they are judged. Not sure if this is an English discrepancy or just a lack of knowing how to run a contest.
*Levels must not be short, nor have SMB3 exits.
Do you have a good reason that people can't use SMB3 exits? Also saying that a level can't be short is very vague and I don't see how it applies to even being a contest rule, just something that would factor into the score of the level when judged.
*Please include any other people's GFX's used by sending links.
Not sure why this is even relevant to the contest itself, especially the requirement for links. In most contests as long as people don't claim the GFX as their own, there's no reason to make people send links to the GFX, especially if they're from packs like the Community GFX Pack or Red Yoshi's GFX which are massive compilations of graphics made be a large group of users. Some require that you credit the original creators of the graphics in a read-me, but that's pretty much unnecessary too. As a judge in the past, I don't even go into the custom graphics folder as it doesn't matter who made the graphics, it matters how they were used in the level and I could honestly care less where a contestant got them from.
*Please do NOT post Mature Content (18+) (as this Community is under 18+), or anything that violates the rules...
Isn't that just implied by the forum rules? It really doesn't pertain to the contest itself.
*Please do NOT post levels that have lack of NCPs, Scenery, etc. , but other levels are fine.
Isn't that just a choice of the designer how they use assets? It shouldn't be a rule, it's more of a general guideline and would be factored into the score at the end, like level length.
JUDGES
Me (Wazaap)
So are you the only judge? You haven't asked for any others and one judge for a contest is a really bad, biased idea.
OTHER INFORMATION
The judge's (My) decision is final, so anyone who violates the rules will be banned.
Well then. Kinda odd to add this.

In general, I don't see this contest being successful. Your rules are poorly written and missing a lot of things (what version(s) you can use, if you can make a level with a partner, etc.) and in addition to it, you have very little reputation. It's not easy to begin with to run a contest, but when you're new and no one has any idea what your judging abilities are (and you appear to be the only judge) that makes it difficult for people to want to submit to the contest. Many people's contests have not done very well with a full judging panel (3-4+ judges) and being known in the community for their judging and hosting abilities

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

Deadline Changed: 15 Feb 2018

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am

WARNING: If anyone just argues or criticizes, not posting a level, I will report all of ur comments to the Moderators/Authors. GOT THAT?!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

Wazaap wrote:WARNING: If anyone just argues or criticizes, not posting a level, I will report all of ur comments to the Moderators/Authors. GOT THAT?!

Isn't the entire point of this thread to discuss the contest? Also, you're making it sound like you're really upset about people criticizing you, which you really shouldn't be.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Wazaap wrote:WARNING: If anyone just argues or criticizes, not posting a level, I will report all of ur comments to the Moderators/Authors. GOT THAT?!

You shouldn't host a contest if you can't take criticism. I gave you a ton of useful feedback and asked some questions to clarify, and you implemented one

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:06 pm

By the way, even if your presentation and attitude wasn't awful enough, unofficial contests are usually not successful anyway bc lack of interest to make a standalone level only for an unofficial event.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm

Cedur wrote:By the way, even if your presentation and attitude wasn't awful enough, unofficial contests are usually not successful anyway bc lack of interest to make a standalone level only for an unofficial event.
I get ur point, but I don't like this topic to be a CRITICIZING BASE...

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

PixelPest wrote:

You shouldn't host a contest if you can't take criticism. I gave you a ton of useful feedback and asked some questions to clarify, and you implemented one
That's cuz no one is posting a level, AND, PixelPest, please don't get me angry or i'll report you... This is meant to be a Contest, not a house for a bunch of a**holes criticizing!

Wazaap
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wazaap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:

Isn't the entire point of this thread to discuss the contest? Also, you're making it sound like you're really upset about people criticizing you, which you really shouldn't be.
You have read my mind but I don't take criticism, AND I don't want to get into a bunch of a**holes (sorry for swearing idk) doing this! WHY IS THIS COMMUNITY SO EVIL???

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

How is giving consteructive criticism considered evil? If you can't take criticism, then you should probably stay off the internet, cause people are gonna be criticizing you no matter what. Your current attitude certainly doesn't help either.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm

ok for real, the problem is that you come off way too strong and uncouth (acting like you had banning power, then threatening to report us and raging etc) while simultaneously having not enough knowledge on the matter. You clearly aren't following the forum's rules yourself.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: Something you want everyone to see!
Current Project: Code Name: Temple of Despair
Chat Username: xDestroy#5503

Postby xDestroy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Wazaap wrote:I don't take criticism
Then you should most likely leave, because criticism is telling people something is wrong about your thing not to bully you, but to help you make it the best as possible.
Im not going to be joining due to your behaviour and this "structure" to the contest, which is......................................................................................................................................................(that's all i can say, because SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE CRITICISM)
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature!
Best Quotes from SMBX: show
Nien wrote:oh wow someone posted a webcomic in the art board oh wow it's garbage who would've thought
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Nien wrote:nice, now my eyes can bleed in high definition

Return to “General”