A quick question

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
The Handwoven Box
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: An episode where I decided to make all the castles and bosses before any normal levels

A quick question

Postby The Handwoven Box » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Do a large amount of people here use SMBX 2.0? I was thinking of making a whole Metroid 2-esque episode in it and was wondering if there would be many people to play it

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: A quick question

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 pm

I'm pretty sure the majority of people have it who frequent these forums

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Eh, I'm not sure how many people use it, but I definitely know a good portion of the community does. And if you're thinking of making a new episode in 2.0, there's not much reason to not use it (besides personal level-designing skill), as more and more of the community will gravitate towards it as it nears completion and more content gets added (SMBX 2.0, that is).
Spoiler: show
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 am

mariogeek2 wrote:there's not much reason to not use it (besides personal level-designing skill)
Why should level design skill even be a factor as to whether or not to upgrade to 2.0?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

Electriking wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:there's not much reason to not use it (besides personal level-designing skill)
Why should level design skill even be a factor as to whether or not to upgrade to 2.0?
Well, 2.0 is more complex (I'm assuming). In 2.0, you have Lua coding, more NPCs, more blocks, more playable characters, etc. I guess the main point is there are more tools to work with in 2.0, while 1.3 is kind of the 'bare-bones' version. Yeah, you can do less with it, but it's also easier to understand.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am

mariogeek2 wrote:Yeah, you can do less with it, but it's also easier to understand.
That's.... not really true. At all.

How, exactly, does having the option to use a Starman make things more difficult to understand?

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 am

Hoeloe wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:Yeah, you can do less with it, but it's also easier to understand.

How, exactly, does having the option to use a Starman make things more difficult to understand?
I guess I should rephrase it. It's not that it's easier to understand, per se. Just that there's less to understand. And the less there is to understand, the quicker you can learn everything about an engine. Of course, I haven't actually used 2.0, so I could be completely incorrect (in which case, sorry if I am).

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 am

But everything you can do in 1.3, you can do as easily or even easier in 2.0.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
rockythechao wrote:Image

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:

I guess I should rephrase it. It's not that it's easier to understand, per se. Just that there's less to understand. And the less there is to understand, the quicker you can learn everything about an engine. Of course, I haven't actually used 2.0, so I could be completely incorrect (in which case, sorry if I am).
Yes, you are incorrect. The PGE editor is easier to use and superior to the legacy editor, and now there is no reason to try to learn the legacy editor because PGE exists. I think that we need to try to push new users to get 2.0 so that they don't waste time learning the legacy editor then seeing something completely different upon getting 2.0, which leads to a situation where people prefer 1.3 over 2.0 when they really should not (and probably would not if they started learn PGE without the legacy editor). So I suggest you get 2.0 and try learning the new editor now (while there are not too many NPCs if that concerns you (there are only like 8 new NPCs and a few new blocks)), if you haven't already (because it exists in 1.3.0.2), since you cannot really argue the lagacy editor is better.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 am

I'm pretty sure once the next version comes out way more people will use it because of new items to utulize and better optimization aswell. I for sure use it nearly daily but I'm also busy with other stuff especially for my channel and such to go through.

Return to “General”