SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
ToadZ
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: ToadZ

SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby ToadZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 am

"Is SMBX better than Mario Maker?" was the question I asked myself. After some thinking, i finally got my answer!

Categorys:
1.Design/Graphics
2.Gameplay
3.Internet
4.NPC´s
------------------
1.Design/Graphics:
SMBX won this category, even tho Mario Maker has 3D in it! You can change every pixel in SMBX, but not in Mario Maker. The templates can NOT be changed in Mario Maker.

2Gameplay:
Its a draw. They both have the same controlls!

3.Internet:
Mario Maker won this one. You need to download the episodes, in SMBX, to play them. You can just play them in Mario Maker!

4.NPC´s:
SMBX won this one! There are so many npcs´ in SMBX and you can even change their design.
Ok, i have to admit it. Its not fair that you can change the size of every enemy in Mario Maker! (I know that you can do that in SMBX too, but that is really complicated)
------------------
In the end, SMBX won 3:1 against Mario Maker! You can create super hard bosses, change graphics and even upload them on the internet! The final words:
"SMBX, is the REAL Mario Maker." - ToadZ 2018

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Scroll » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 am

Yes, I think that SMBX is 1000 times better than super mario maker xd

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

ToadZ wrote:2Gameplay:
Very wrong. Mario Maker has 4 different gameplay styles and certain features like spinjumping are revised.
ToadZ wrote:4.NPC´s:
SMBX won this one! There are so many npcs´ in SMBX and you can even change their design.
You can stack npcs in mario maker and they have many more interactions.

The quality of Mario Maker's implementation is just absurd and people are still discovering new stuff in that engine. Having access to custom assets in SMBX blinds people to actually bothering to toy around with the engine and makes the levels devolve in the most boring romps imaginable. SMBX is only better than Mario Maker in cases where the designer has a ridiculous amount of experience with it. Mario Maker is much more user friendly and has way more features in vanilla.

(This is coming from someone with ridiculous amounts of experience in SMBX and who is waiting for a switch mario maker to come around)
The ABC of Creation

WilliamTheMan210
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby WilliamTheMan210 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Enjl wrote:
ToadZ wrote:2Gameplay:
Very wrong. Mario Maker has 4 different gameplay styles and certain features like spinjumping are revised.
ToadZ wrote:4.NPC´s:
You can stack npcs in mario maker and they have many more interactions.

The quality of Mario Maker's implementation is just absurd and people are still discovering new stuff in that engine. Having access to custom assets in SMBX blinds people to actually bothering to toy around with the engine and makes the levels devolve in the most boring romps imaginable. SMBX is only better than Mario Maker in cases where the designer has a ridiculous amount of experience with it. Mario Maker is much more user friendly and has way more features in vanilla.

(This is coming from someone with ridiculous amounts of experience in SMBX and who is waiting for a switch mario maker to come around)
Spin jumping is already in SMBX, and you can stack enemies with custom codes.
[rimg][/rimg]I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior! If you do too, then put this in your signature!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:39 pm

WilliamTheMan210 wrote:Spin jumping is already in SMBX, and you can stack enemies with custom codes.
The spinjump in mario maker has been revised to give the player proper height. Stacking enemies in SMBX in the way how Mario Maker stacks them has not been done before and likely won't be done due to the lack of in-engine support for such craziness.

Trust me, if I knew how to write enemy stacks I would do that.

My point is: You can count the enemy interactions in smbx on 2 hands while in Mario Maker people still haven't found all of them after over 2 years.
One goal of Beta 4 is to add more interactions, but we're not even gonna come close to what Mario Maker has to offer.
The ABC of Creation

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 am

SMBX and Mario Maker have their own goals. What you want to achieve with your levels is what determines which is better.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:30 am

SMBX is better when it comes to creating full "games" because you can use world map or hub and store all your levels into one episode in order to create a "game".

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 am

Eri7 wrote:SMBX is better when it comes to creating full "games" because you can use world map or hub and store all your levels into one episode in order to create a "game".
You can't actually create full games in Mario Maker.

While SMBX is more complicated and does not contain as many ways to create NPC interactions (almost all, if not all, have been discovered in SMBX, which is not the case for Mario Maker), it is important to know that Mario Maker lacks quite a lot of basic things like slopes and world themes which, IMO, puts it behind SMBX.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 am

Electriking wrote:
Eri7 wrote:SMBX is better when it comes to creating full "games" because you can use world map or hub and store all your levels into one episode in order to create a "game".
You can't actually create full games in Mario Maker.

While SMBX is more complicated and does not contain as many ways to create NPC interactions (almost all, if not all, have been discovered in SMBX, which is not the case for Mario Maker), it is important to know that Mario Maker lacks quite a lot of basic things like slopes and world themes which, IMO, puts it behind SMBX.
But i said the same thing?!

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:20 pm

A few other members and I touched upon this in the Unpopular Opinions/Free Speech topic a while back. Basically, SMBX is big and bad, but Super Mario Maker has unique physics and many mysteries. Personally, I like SMBX better, but SMM is equally great for different reasons.
Projects I support:
Spoiler: show
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 pm

You can get SMBX more easily than Mario Maker. It is free and available on PC. Mario Maker costs money and you need a Wii U (unless you want the watered down version on the 3DS). Not necessarily a factor in how good the games are but may result in one choosing SMBX over Mario Maker.

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Electriking wrote:You can get SMBX more easily than Mario Maker. It is free and available on PC. Mario Maker costs money and you need a Wii U (unless you want the watered down version on the 3DS). Not necessarily a factor in how good the games are but may result in one choosing SMBX over Mario Maker.
Let's not forget that officially Mario Maker is legal where SMBX is illegal and the fact that many including myself love playing Mario games on a gaming console which involves no download and will work perfectly every time. Mario Maker while lacking world maps and many NPC's still has a lot to offer and if SMBX is ever DMC'd again then Mario Maker will be all we have.

Not sure why we are even discussing which game is better when one is illegal and is barely noticed online and the other one has sold millions of copies and is even famous on you tube. There is no comparison there. Also a WiiU is cheaper then a PC in most cases and should not determine which a person would play.

SMBX is free because nobody can legally make profit on a Nintendo game not sold by Nintendo. You can't expect Nintendo to stay in business selling it's games for free.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 pm

SMBX isn't so much illegal as it is unauthorized. While no one has permission to make/distribute it, most people agree it falls under fair use and is legally okay. The only way it would be illegal is if Nintendo wanted to take it down. That kinda happened with the original SuperMarioBrothers.org, but that wasn't specifically about SMBX and iirc it's not known whether or not it was actually Nintendo?
Jesus is my savior.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Electriking wrote:You can get SMBX more easily than Mario Maker. It is free and available on PC. Mario Maker costs money and you need a Wii U (unless you want the watered down version on the 3DS). Not necessarily a factor in how good the games are but may result in one choosing SMBX over Mario Maker.
Let's not forget that officially Mario Maker is legal where SMBX is illegal and the fact that many including myself love playing Mario games on a gaming console which involves no download and will work perfectly every time. Mario Maker while lacking world maps and many NPC's still has a lot to offer and if SMBX is ever DMC'd again then Mario Maker will be all we have.

Not sure why we are even discussing which game is better when one is illegal and is barely noticed online and the other one has sold millions of copies and is even famous on you tube. There is no comparison there.

SMBX is free because nobody can legally make profit on a Nintendo game not sold by Nintendo. You can't expect Nintendo to stay in business selling it's games for free.
Just to clarify SMBX is not illegal, contrary to popular belief. Yes, it is using Nintendo's resources however the general idea is that there is a gray zone in terms of fangames that allows them to be created and published given that a profit isn't made, etc. Nintendo is most likely well-aware that SMBX as well as other fangames like Super Mario Flash exist but haven't taken action towards SMBX as a whole at any point. In the event that a cease and desist, etc. did happen the SMBX2 team would comply and act by the provided terms. Nintendo if you look at it also makes money off of SMBX; they monetize people's videos and will demonetize others that people have tried to monetize for themselves and at times (though rarely) have copyrighted music removed. But in all, SMBX is completely legal.
HenryRichard wrote:SMBX isn't so much illegal as it is unauthorized. While no one has permission to make/distribute it, most people agree it falls under fair use and is legally okay. The only way it would be illegal is if Nintendo wanted to take it down. That kinda happened with the original SuperMarioBrothers.org, but that wasn't specifically about SMBX and iirc it's not known whether or not it was actually Nintendo?
Just because Nintendo would want to take it down would not make it illegal, it would only be unlawful if we refused to comply as we are using copyrighted content, however this is very unlikely to ever happen. Also iirc Nintendo seized the domain supermariobros.org and it now redirects to their site

Snowy_Desert
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: The Icy Pharaoh
Current Project: Nothing for now

Postby Snowy_Desert » Sun May 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Not everything gotta be a competition of "which one is better".
Do you believe in magic?

SE40
Bit
Bit
Flair: es-eee-fourty
Current Project: 0_Night
Chat Username: SE40#6272

Postby SE40 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am

I think Mario Maker is better for goofy, fun random levels and levels that attempt to imitate Nintendo's levels: SMBX is better for more serious levels and episodes, and better if you want to customize more and make something different. I'd say SMBX is better, but Mario Maker is definitely easier and faster to use and definitely more comfortable for many.
P.k.a. Dex

Join my NEW discord server: https://discord.gg/yxxEnh8

Osaka
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Chat Username: Osaka

Postby Osaka » Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes. SMBX is better than MM.
More enemies, design, challenges, customisation...

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am

Osaka wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm
Yes. SMBX is better than MM.
More enemies, design, challenges, customisation...
Those things don't neccesarily make it better. See: Enjl's post

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

AlphaCPS
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: generic flair
Chat Username: αCPS

Postby AlphaCPS » Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 am

This is a very subjective topic to talk about honestly.

I think Mario Maker would appeal to more people as it's easier to use. You can post levels easily as well and play other people's levels pretty quickly; you don't need to download a level from a site just to play it. It's made by Nintendo as well, so it would definitely be more recognized.

SMBX, on the other hand, is much more customizable. You can add custom graphics and you can code as well using LunaLua for SMBX2 and TeaScipt for 38A. SMBX also has slopes. ;)

This is just my opinion though, as I said this topic is subjective.
Last edited by AlphaCPS on Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no signature.

l0g1c
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: keeping my sanity
Chat Username: l0g1c

Postby l0g1c » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am

Also iirc Nintendo seized the domain supermariobros.org and it now redirects to their site
*Searches supermariobrothers.org* Great. Mario gets an ego page.

Back on... topic? I'm actually surprised this debate even exists. :roll: As many have already said, SMM is official. SMBX is great... as a fangame.
Having access to custom assets in SMBX blinds people to actually bothering to toy around with the engine and makes the levels devolve in the most boring romps imaginable.
...erm. Yes. Very true. I feel like a newb now.
Really, doctor. Your constant use of ancient Earth vulgarities is quite illogical.

Return to “General”