SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4570
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Electriking » Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 am

AlphaCPS wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 am
using LunaLua or TeaScipt—if you're using 38A.
I swear I used LunaLua on some of my SMBX2 levels, and it did not work when I used 38A. Therefore, you are wrong about the LunaLua is for 38A part.
Signatures are overrated

User avatar
AlphaCPS
Bit
Bit
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 am
Flair: generic flair
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby AlphaCPS » Thu May 10, 2018 11:04 am

Electriking wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 am
AlphaCPS wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 am
using LunaLua or TeaScipt—if you're using 38A.
I swear I used LunaLua on some of my SMBX2 levels, and it did not work when I used 38A. Therefore, you are wrong about the LunaLua is for 38A part.
I meant LuaLua for SMBX2 and TeaScript for 38A. Let me edit my post to avoid any misinterpretations. Thanks for telling!
I have no signature.

User avatar
Uzendayo
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Uzendayo » Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm

pranks on you guys Lunar Magic is 10,000 times greater than what SMBX could ever be
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

User avatar
jimmyjamz12
Dolphin
Dolphin
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby jimmyjamz12 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

HELL YES. This shouldn't take any time at all to realize. Mario Maker is just a huge advertisement made by Nintendo telling everyone that "you can now create your own Mario levels!" And of course, all the small kids begin to beg, and beg, and beg until they get it. About 3 hours after getting the game, they turn off the console because they already built things with all the objects in the game. The disc is left inside its case and isn't opened again, at least not until another unsuspecting buyer asks for it on eBay.

But fear not! If you've found SMBX, you're in luck. Big time.

SMBX is better than Mario Maker is so many ways, I don't even know where to start. The objects selection is much bigger (as is the community) and the character selection is also bigger. In Mario Maker, the only playable character was Mario... no Luigi, Toad, Peach, and certainly no community-created characters.

If you found SMBX in the hopes it is better than Mario Maker, you are in luck. :P
Proud supporter of:
Things I support: show
Image

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4570
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Electriking » Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 pm

jimmyjamz12 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm
as is the community
The SMBX community is like 1000s of times smaller than Mario Maker's
Signatures are overrated

User avatar
jimmyjamz12
Dolphin
Dolphin
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby jimmyjamz12 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Electriking wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 pm
jimmyjamz12 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm
as is the community
The SMBX community is like 1000s of times smaller than Mario Maker's
At least we aren't stupid enough to use that sh** game. Sorry for the language, but even if this community is smaller, the game is larger, and it deserves to be more well-known.
Proud supporter of:
Things I support: show
Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Enjl » Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm

jimmyjamz12 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

At least we aren't stupid enough to use that sh** game. Sorry for the language, but even if this community is smaller, the game is larger, and it deserves to be more well-known.
I don't think you're giving Mario Maker enough credit. It's designed to be extremely accessible and I find it very fun to watch. I'll definitely pick it up if it gets a sequel of some sort. I didn't have a WiiU and the 3ds version seemed very watered down, sadly.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

User avatar
jimmyjamz12
Dolphin
Dolphin
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby jimmyjamz12 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm
jimmyjamz12 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

At least we aren't stupid enough to use that sh** game. Sorry for the language, but even if this community is smaller, the game is larger, and it deserves to be more well-known.
I don't think you're giving Mario Maker enough credit. It's designed to be extremely accessible and I find it very fun to watch. I'll definitely pick it up if it gets a sequel of some sort. I didn't have a WiiU and the 3ds version seemed very watered down, sadly.
Sorry, but Mario Maker isn’t something I like that much (wasted lots of money on it).
I agree with the whole giving credit thing, I guess my brain was not working properly at that given time, so I started to rant (I really need to stop doing that). :)
Proud supporter of:
Things I support: show
Image

User avatar
SBGamer
Bit
Bit
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 11:08 am

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby SBGamer » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm

smbx is three thousand times better than Mario maker, because, you have a lot more freedom to do what you want,
(sorry bad English :( )

User avatar
DJFMHD
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 12:32 pm
Flair: Sticker Star is alright

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby DJFMHD » Tue May 22, 2018 4:12 pm

SMM is way more user friendly.but lacks so much,the lack to features is mostly negative but I look at it in a way of it promoting creativity (be resourceful with what you got).
Smbx is feature packed (Not counting the countless graphics, episodes and, levels you can download) but if you want to stack 50 goombas or make a giant goomba you better know something.If you want to find levels made by the community its not hard to find something good unlike SMM where you shovel through utter crap to find something just ok.

Really if you want something with polish and that is easy to use and you can still make something good with and you mostly care about level design and the the levels made by the community then SMM is for you
But If you want something with way more options and and and easy to find, good community content SMBX is for you.

For me SMBX will always win no matter what version 2.0, 1.4, even 1.3.
hey

User avatar
FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am

PixelPest wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Electriking wrote:You can get SMBX more easily than Mario Maker. It is free and available on PC. Mario Maker costs money and you need a Wii U (unless you want the watered down version on the 3DS). Not necessarily a factor in how good the games are but may result in one choosing SMBX over Mario Maker.
Let's not forget that officially Mario Maker is legal where SMBX is illegal and the fact that many including myself love playing Mario games on a gaming console which involves no download and will work perfectly every time. Mario Maker while lacking world maps and many NPC's still has a lot to offer and if SMBX is ever DMC'd again then Mario Maker will be all we have.

Not sure why we are even discussing which game is better when one is illegal and is barely noticed online and the other one has sold millions of copies and is even famous on you tube. There is no comparison there.

SMBX is free because nobody can legally make profit on a Nintendo game not sold by Nintendo. You can't expect Nintendo to stay in business selling it's games for free.
Just to clarify SMBX is not illegal, contrary to popular belief. Yes, it is using Nintendo's resources however the general idea is that there is a gray zone in terms of fangames that allows them to be created and published given that a profit isn't made, etc. Nintendo is most likely well-aware that SMBX as well as other fangames like Super Mario Flash exist but haven't taken action towards SMBX as a whole at any point. In the event that a cease and desist, etc. did happen the SMBX2 team would comply and act by the provided terms. Nintendo if you look at it also makes money off of SMBX; they monetize people's videos and will demonetize others that people have tried to monetize for themselves and at times (though rarely) have copyrighted music removed. But in all, SMBX is completely legal.
HenryRichard wrote:SMBX isn't so much illegal as it is unauthorized. While no one has permission to make/distribute it, most people agree it falls under fair use and is legally okay. The only way it would be illegal is if Nintendo wanted to take it down. That kinda happened with the original SuperMarioBrothers.org, but that wasn't specifically about SMBX and iirc it's not known whether or not it was actually Nintendo?
Just because Nintendo would want to take it down would not make it illegal, it would only be unlawful if we refused to comply as we are using copyrighted content, however this is very unlikely to ever happen. Also iirc Nintendo seized the domain supermariobros.org and it now redirects to their site
I have a question, you guys will ask them if you are legal, or you are only going to let them make the first move?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
Spoiler: show
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!


User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4570
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Electriking » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 am

FanofSMBX wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am
I have a question, you guys will ask them if you are legal, or you are only going to let them make the first move?
I have a question for you: Why are still so bothered by the legal issues you see regarding SMBX?
Also, why are you still suggesting that they should contact Nintendo?
I thought the devs already gave the information about the legal stuff to do with SMBX.
Signatures are overrated

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Posts: 7112
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Electriking wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 am
FanofSMBX wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am
I have a question, you guys will ask them if you are legal, or you are only going to let them make the first move?
I have a question for you: Why are still so bothered by the legal issues you see regarding SMBX?
Also, why are you still suggesting that they should contact Nintendo?
I thought the devs already gave the information about the legal stuff to do with SMBX.
There's no first move going to happen from either side. We don't need to ask Nintendo if we're legal because we know we're operating appropriately. Even (I think a week ago) someone got mad and emailed Nintendo about a bunch of SMBX stuff; this isn't the first time either that it's happened and the fact that nothing has ever happened from this is testament to the fact that nothing will happen as long as we don't overstep boundaries. Please drop this already

User avatar
Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Teemster2 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Fan of SMBX: (I forgot to quote you and to lazy to do it now)

The response I gave was to someone who said Smbx was better because it is free. MM has sold millions of copies. Smbx can't legally make profit off the game or Nintendo would shut it down. Smbx may be legal but only until Nintendo decides it is illegal which they could do but obviously they have chosen to let this game continue. I am not complaining because I will not play MM due to some parts of the game that are abysmal.

The lack of enemies, world map and the fact you can't play a series of levels without most of them being junk makes MM less than desirable thus I prefer Smbx. It also does not help that if you spend hours or days making a map on MM and it gets only a few plays it is removed after several weeks and you are not allowed to re upload it. Just because a level get's lost in all of the levels being uploaded does not mean it should be removed or permanently banned.

I will admit Smbx was very undesirable to play on 1.3 because of the bugs and crashes. Spending hours working on a aqua level only to have the game crash and lose everything because I failed to save it every half hour for me was a deal breaker and the reason I quit playing smbx for awhile. Now the dedicated fans of this game have removed most of those bugs and crashes making it a more enjoyable game. While MM may seem like a dream fantasy game it has it's issues and so does smbx but I think the amount of content we are adding more then makes up for any remaining issues the game may have.

I will take my chances with smbx and if Nintendo want's it removed they can do so but maybe Nintendo has become more relaxed and probably does not care. Mario Maker has sold millions of copies while smbx is free and has a small following so Nintendo probably does not even feel like this game competes with MM so no issue for them.

Redigit had plans to make profit off this game probably or he wanted it removed for whatever reason and so it was DMced. Plus that was a long time ago and times have changed and so has Nintendo. The dev team has no plans to make any profit or compete with MM so what is the problem? Your game/issue was different and we don't know why Nintendo made you remove it. In this situation I would say just let it go or if your so worried contact Nintendo but I would not keep beating a dead horse over the issue and I seriously doubt if you contact Nintendo anything will change because they already know about smbx.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Posts: 6190
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed May 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Wanna know what Mario fan game has a "Better" level editor than Super Mario Maker in my opinion?

Super Mario 63!

Even though SMBX does have more variety in the level editor!
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Custom Mega Drive playable sprites
Sega Mega Drive GFX Pack

Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, big whoop! Wanna fight about it?

User avatar
XAtior - Noob
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby XAtior - Noob » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:31 am

Super Mario Bros X is better than Super Mario Maker beacuse it has Advanced Editor and Custom Textures. That means you can do WAY MORE.
Currently working on a Project "Star Tour"
You can check it out when I'm done!
Sorry for bad spelling, I am from Spain. ;)

User avatar
LGLMAKING
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 am
Flair: There's always another secret.

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 am

Dfawn between the two. SMBX allows more varied gameplay and larger levels. Mario Maker is more user friendly and has an air of mystery around it.
"I am incredibly lucky I know you and im glad I gave you a chance to be a part of this" -Eri7
"I'm going to call these Janksqueaks from now on." -Clearman06
"IT IS A SKYTREE!!!" -Big K
Image
Image
Image
New producer of the Novaverse, after Eri7's departure from the community.

User avatar
Yave Yu
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 am
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Yave Yu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:53 pm

I don't say which is better, but I will say I don't like Super Mario Maker.
Because there only exists harder levels in SMM!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby Enjl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Food for thought:

If you can do so much more in SMBX why don't people do so much more?
I have yet to see people making puzzle levels, troll levels, speedrun levels that are more than just "hold right", music levels and auto levels. All of these are well-represented genres in Mario Maker which regularly get tons of new and creative levels. In SMBX we have perhaps one or two people at most doing anything related to those.
It's true that with lunalua you can technically create anything, but in general the only genre of level I see designed in SMBX is the generic nsmb-like platformer genre of levels. Are custom graphics and slopes more important than testing out what kind of gameplay you can come up with? I'd disagree with that. Gotta make like a tree and branch out!
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

User avatar
timocomsmbx2345
Nipper
Nipper
Posts: 826
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: SMBX, better than Mario Maker?

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm

For one, SMBX has slopes while Mario Maker doesn't.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Image
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Spoiler: show
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!
Image
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests