Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the Worldmap-Editor of SMBX

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Kevsoft wrote:Wouldn't it better to transform the whole topic as "Crashes & Limit Information", also providing information of various error messages and their solutions?
I could do that, but this topic then needs to be like "SMBX Worldmap Editor Crashes & Limit Information", as it is only meant to be for the worldmap editor of SMBX. I also need more information about possible solutions (other than using PGE, since that has none of the bugs as problems ^^).

I also can do a thread for all the level-errors, since putting both kind of errors can be confusing for some people, I think.

Image

愛している、ビアンカ!

Lua-rank:Image

Spoiler: show

zooninetytwo
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:10 am

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby zooninetytwo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:12 am

[quote=
Maximum number of tiles (only tiles are counted, no matter how big they are): 20.000 tiles (you can fill up more than 40 fully filled screens with 1x1 scale tiles)
[/quote]

Can this be increased in future versions of MX, if some of us want to make gigantic maps?

Edit: Just read that was for the world map. What about the levels themselves, how big can they be in MX tilewise?

User avatar
RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Posts: 4987
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: local guy

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:28 am

zooninetytwo wrote:Can this be increased in future versions of MX, if some of us want to make gigantic maps?

Edit: Just read that was for the world map. What about the levels themselves, how big can they be in MX tilewise?
Super Mario Bros X won't ever be updated again. There are PGE and VSMBX, though, which will surely have extended limits (or probably not limits at all).
im bored

User avatar
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Contact:

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:39 pm

RudeGuy07 wrote:
zooninetytwo wrote:Can this be increased in future versions of MX, if some of us want to make gigantic maps?

Edit: Just read that was for the world map. What about the levels themselves, how big can they be in MX tilewise?
Super Mario Bros X won't ever be updated again. There are PGE and VSMBX, though, which will surely have extended limits (or probably not limits at all).
yeah, SMBX levels have a limmit that is approximately 16.362 or somwhere in there! (I only know my powers of two so high...
0
1
2
4
8
16
32
64
128
256
512
1.024
2.048
4.096
8.192
16.384
32.768

Anyway, PGE jas no limmit that I know of in both tiles and blocks...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image

Image

User avatar
Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:03 am

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby Kevsoft » Sun May 03, 2015 3:41 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
RudeGuy07 wrote:
zooninetytwo wrote:Can this be increased in future versions of MX, if some of us want to make gigantic maps?

Edit: Just read that was for the world map. What about the levels themselves, how big can they be in MX tilewise?
Super Mario Bros X won't ever be updated again. There are PGE and VSMBX, though, which will surely have extended limits (or probably not limits at all).
yeah, SMBX levels have a limmit that is approximately 16.362 or somwhere in there! (I only know my powers of two so high...
SMBX has the limit of 16.362, because the index number is only 2 bytes long (2^16) (Redigit should have thought about it D:)

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby Bryan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Wouldn't this fit better in the SMBX Wiki?

Is it just me or would this fit better in the SMBX Wiki.

User avatar
Gameinsky
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 am

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby Gameinsky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:21 am

Bryan wrote:Wouldn't this fit better in the SMBX Wiki?

Is it just me or would this fit better in the SMBX Wiki.
More people read the forums, which is why it's stickified here probably.
You found my hidden signature... OH NO!

User avatar
as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby as303298 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:50 am

Have a wiki?
I just assumed the forums were the absolute only thing that existed on the internet.
#mindblown
The SMBX Let's Player, as303298 / Wraith Admanknight
Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/as303298?feature=mhee

Image
Image

User avatar
Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Posts: 5553
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby Pseudo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:25 pm

So I've got a question - are there any characters besides numbers and letters that can safely be used in level names? This does explain a lot, actually.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016


User avatar
as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby as303298 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:So I've got a question - are there any characters besides numbers and letters that can safely be used in level names? This does explain a lot, actually.
know for a fact that "" isn't allowed.

Letters, Numbers, and - is allowed.
I didn't try special characters however.
The SMBX Let's Player, as303298 / Wraith Admanknight
Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/as303298?feature=mhee

Image
Image

User avatar
Sluigi123
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby Sluigi123 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 am

as303298 wrote:
Pseudo-dino wrote:So I've got a question - are there any characters besides numbers and letters that can safely be used in level names? This does explain a lot, actually.
know for a fact that "" isn't allowed.

Letters, Numbers, and - is allowed.
I didn't try special characters however.
Not sure, but I think '&', '!', and '?' work fine as well.
Image

User avatar
superhammerbros100
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:03 am
Flair: Hello fellow profile reader!

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby superhammerbros100 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Can PGE open a SMBX world file with over 9999 music box?
I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Spoiler: show
sleepy had to betray us
Image

User avatar
bossedit8
Banned
Posts: 6838
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 am

superhammerbros100 wrote:Can PGE open a SMBX world file with over 9999 music box?
I'd rather not. Also why would you do that to begin with. =P

User avatar
h2643
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 am
Flair: Украинец

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX-worldmap editor(small update)

Postby h2643 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:18 am

superhammerbros100 wrote:Can PGE open a SMBX world file with over 9999 music box?
Yes.

User avatar
Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby Sednaiur » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 am

I just updated the toppost with limits of a different kind, that really should interest users of the PGE-editor. :-)

Image

愛している、ビアンカ!

Lua-rank:Image

Spoiler: show

User avatar
Mosaic
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 2855
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Contact:

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby Mosaic » Sun May 01, 2016 10:37 am

Wow! All these exact limits and numbers are very useful for people making a worldmap for a project, like me.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...
Image

Image

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
Image


User avatar
h2643
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 am
Flair: Украинец

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby h2643 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 am

Well, I planned to look into unused items of everything (I only did NPCs and blocks) but you beat me to it :P But man the amount of all these unused items (especially sceneries and paths) is impressive.

User avatar
Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby Sednaiur » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

h2643 wrote:Well, I planned to look into unused items of everything (I only did NPCs and blocks) but you beat me to it :P But man the amount of all these unused items (especially sceneries and paths) is impressive.
That is it for sure. ^^

I already make heavy use of the new stuff. For example, all 100 path-tiles are already used up. xD

Image

愛している、ビアンカ!

Lua-rank:Image

Spoiler: show

User avatar
electricpretzel0
Bit
Bit
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby electricpretzel0 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Sednaiur, How did you figure out the max tiles along the x-axis and the max tiles along the y-axis? Also, I've noticed none of the numbers are a power of two, meaning the maximum amount of tiles is not in terms of a whole kilabyte. It's strange. I was expecting something more like, 8192 along the x-axis and y-axis since 2^13 is 8192 (power of two integer), this means there could be 2^26 tiles (67,108,864). Also in this case, since there's 32x32 tiles, this means each one is composed of 1024 pixels, but since each pixel can have a hexadecimal value for the color, this results in each pixel being 24 bits (3 bytes). In the end, this means by tiles alone in this scenario, the world would be 192 Gigabytes. This is way off the charts, but if what you say is true, this total is close to the actual amount you listed. I wonder what how much data a world file could consume...
I want a brand new python-support SMBpy one day.

User avatar
Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Exact Limits of the SMBX worldmap editor - new kind of limits discovered!

Postby Witchking666 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 pm

World-map designing just got even cooler then it allready was. These New limits finally allow me to make the 4th secret world tile-wise and make the worlds have way more details. Like having all types of alternate paths and sceneries.

I put this in my signature right after I saw it.
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.


Check out my stuff:
Spoiler: show
Image.
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests