Have you been making positive posts?

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
User avatar
Scroll
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Flair: :squint:
Current Project: I'm not a spoiler :v
Chat Username: Scroll#6292
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Scroll » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:48 am

What do y'all think of my criticism? I think it's not very good at all.
Electriking wrote:Signatures are overrated.

User avatar
ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am

Depends if the subject has something good to criticize..? XD
Image
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
Working on: show
Image

A game with a classic selection of world styles, each having 5 levels to play!
Demo is out now! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22538&p=336507#p336507

I support: show
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:11 pm
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Uzendayo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 am

Devan2002 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm
In my opinion, 2017 and 2018 are the dark ages of the internet where people just have no remorse for doing shit things. Here's a few reasons:

1: As people who are getting smarter at level and world map designs for SMBX, they will frown upon those that haven't learned, some people take this to an extreme degree and just rant, acting like they think everyone should have known how to make a good level or world map, even when some people haven't gotten use to it (or they haven't played a lot of episodes and learn off of them, but in a way where it's not like they're stealing levels).

2. As more memes are created, they give reasons for people to hate others that support a meme that can be described as, "dead before it was even alive." This can just light the fuse of an argument bomb where the end result is like an actual nuke dropped somewhere and everyone is trying to hunt down this group in some sort of war. Sometimes I wonder if we're going to end up shitting the bed so hard we create World War 3 over the dumbest upon dumbest of reasons.
you act as if that the epic online hate mentality is anything new. Its a symptom of being practically anonymous online, and isnt going away anytime soon, and to expect so would be ridiculous, and honestly strip away some of the magic of the internet, as everyone will act as sanitized and sheltered online as they do in real life, which is no fun in my eyes.

going to your first point, I think that displaying negative feelings towards a newer creator about his or her creation is to be expected, and even if the criticism is harsh, its up to the creator to either try and understand where the harshness comes from or to ignore the criticism altogether. If a creator isn't ready for harsh criticism, then they aren't ready for their work to be judged in the first place. Now to say that all criticism is valid would just be ridiculous, but to say that extremely scathing reviews is bad is kinda dumb. The harshest criticisms usually come out of frustration from the potential of what it can be. and in that sense, the harshest criticisms are sometimes the most crucial to understand.

now for your second point, to think that arguments online actually mean something is quite pathetic. As I mentioned earlier, the anonymity of the internet allows people to express themselves how they truly want to online, for better or for worse. Many people use memes to communicate things to eachother, mostly jokes and references at this point, but communication nonetheless. Just as you see many people arguing what languages are more useful and practical in real life situations, many can argue how effective a meme is at getting its point across. To think that these arguments are a bad thing would be narrowminded.

I dont even want to get into that third point because its practically the same thing as the first and second points.



Anyways getting to the point of this thread,
I dont think that forced positivity is going to do anything in the long run for this site, so I dont really see the point in going out of my way to be positive. I'll be positive where i think it applies and negative where it applies. I honestly believe if you cant take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I know my opinion isnt the only one out there, and I know people will disagree with my thoughts, but as someone who has and still is going through hell and back to be the very best he can, if you cant handle mean words, then you are nowhere near ready to handle actual challenges in life. Someone calling your level bad is the least of your worries in life, and to get caught up in it is quite pathetic in my mind.
So no, im not making positive posts. Im making posts that express what i want to say, positive or negative.

shitposting is neither and should be banned tbqft
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby PixelPest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm

The point isn't whether the meaning of a post is positive or negative but instead about the attitude and intention behind it. You can say something negative about a level, etc. and still have good intentions and a positive attitude behind your post

User avatar
ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:14 pm

True, but I don't think you'd post anything negative if you have good intentions?
Image
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
Working on: show
Image

A game with a classic selection of world styles, each having 5 levels to play!
Demo is out now! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22538&p=336507#p336507

I support: show
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Eri7 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:29 pm

ThePieSkyHigh wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:14 pm
True, but I don't think you'd post anything negative if you have good intentions?
It might be negative for the user receiving the post/criticism but the intentions could be good.
Like for example someone plays your level and says that it has many flaws in it and you think the person wants to make you feel bad but in reality, he found the flaws in the level and you can now fix them.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Oh. Well it also depends on how you spell it out, I'll use your example:

Player sees 4 bugs/mistakes, and goes to the creator saying:
"There's like 4 bugs in this level. It's kinda sucky if you don't get it fixed."

Well okay.. Depends how you receive it, though.. But you have a point, I won't argue.
Image
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
Working on: show
Image

A game with a classic selection of world styles, each having 5 levels to play!
Demo is out now! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22538&p=336507#p336507

I support: show
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4207
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Cedur » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Uzendayo wrote:you act as if that the epic online hate mentality is anything new. Its a symptom of being practically anonymous online, and isnt going away anytime soon, and to expect so would be ridiculous, and honestly strip away some of the magic of the internet, as everyone will act as sanitized and sheltered online as they do in real life, which is no fun in my eyes.

oh well, is it magical that people go beyond bounds of decency on purpose because they are not held accountable, because the pattern of "sanction of shame" doesn't work? Because it is an antithesis of civilization and it allows us to act out the worst of our natural instincts? This doesn't have anything to do with fun; the internet has brought us great fun in many different aspects, but it's a very very double-edged sword.

I understand the message of your post and I basically agree with the bottom parts, but we have to be very careful with drawing the line. Because the line between "a bit mean" / "a challenge for you to face up with" on one side and "getting abusive / giving hell" on the other side is very thin.

Be sincere and behave with integrity, both within the internet and outside. Anyone thinking they can use the internet as a law-free zone is actively abusing it.
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't really think it's law free..
Image
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
Working on: show
Image

A game with a classic selection of world styles, each having 5 levels to play!
Demo is out now! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22538&p=336507#p336507

I support: show
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4207
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Cedur » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 am

Of course laws and ToS exist everywhere on social media and other platforms but it's impossible to enforce them.
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7209
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Enjl » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 am

It's very easy to enforce them here... Just ban the people who think some 12 year old doing their afternoon project first needs to toughen up and be ready to face the challenges of life before they can have fun.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:11 am

Well, alright then.

Maybe the job of criticism isn't for everyone...
Image
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
Working on: show
Image

A game with a classic selection of world styles, each having 5 levels to play!
Demo is out now! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22538&p=336507#p336507

I support: show
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:11 pm
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Uzendayo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:24 pm
Uzendayo wrote:you act as if that the epic online hate mentality is anything new. Its a symptom of being practically anonymous online, and isnt going away anytime soon, and to expect so would be ridiculous, and honestly strip away some of the magic of the internet, as everyone will act as sanitized and sheltered online as they do in real life, which is no fun in my eyes.

oh well, is it magical that people go beyond bounds of decency on purpose because they are not held accountable, because the pattern of "sanction of shame" doesn't work? Because it is an antithesis of civilization and it allows us to act out the worst of our natural instincts? This doesn't have anything to do with fun; the internet has brought us great fun in many different aspects, but it's a very very double-edged sword.

I understand the message of your post and I basically agree with the bottom parts, but we have to be very careful with drawing the line. Because the line between "a bit mean" / "a challenge for you to face up with" on one side and "getting abusive / giving hell" on the other side is very thin.

Be sincere and behave with integrity, both within the internet and outside. Anyone thinking they can use the internet as a law-free zone is actively abusing it.
you know whats great about the internet, and specifically about this website? you can block people. if someone is being annoying. bam. blocked. or you know. you can just ignore them. if i go on the subway and an old crazy guy is screaming racial slurs at me, I just ignore it (and it has happened, some guy thought i was Mexican and called me rude words that'll get me banned here). and to address what enjl said, you can do an epic block on any haters lmao
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

User avatar
stageleft
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:37 am
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby stageleft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 pm

I think users are coming into a mario maker community with the idea that its all in good fun and anything goes. After some time and experience, they find advanced users have taken game design to a very high level of scrutiny for the sake of quality. I had that problem at first then realized how important all feedback is, seemingly negative or positive. Maybe one solution could be to focus criticism of gameplay over graphics, but to also inform the horrors of intense clashing. A little clash doesn't bother me personally, sometimes it feeds the atmosphere. As Pixel Pest said though just dropping a one liner like "this episode sucks" and possibly a rude anecdote doesn't do much but discourage hard work. Also as Uzendayo suggests, some peeps just enjoy a good anonymous internet beatdown, so block em or ignore em.

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Eri7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 am

stageleft wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 pm
I think users are coming into a mario maker community with the idea that its all in good fun and anything goes. After some time and experience, they find advanced users have taken game design to a very high level of scrutiny for the sake of quality. I had that problem at first then realized how important all feedback is, seemingly negative or positive. Maybe one solution could be to focus criticism of gameplay over graphics, but to also inform the horrors of intense clashing. A little clash doesn't bother me personally, sometimes it feeds the atmosphere. As Pixel Pest said though just dropping a one liner like "this episode sucks" and possibly a rude anecdote doesn't do much but discourage hard work. Also as Uzendayo suggests, some peeps just enjoy a good anonymous internet beatdown, so block em or ignore em.
Clash is subjective however if the majority agrees something doesn't mesh together with another style for example, then it is portrayed as objective.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7209
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:41 am

Clash isn't subjective, it's just overblown by some people, and some people (usually in the same group) hunt for false positives based on a faulty definition... Clash isn't even always a bad thing. Sometimes contrast is exactly the thing your level needs! The general rule of thumb is that, as long as your level isn't searing people's eyes and it's easy to tell what everything is, the visuals are probably fine.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
stageleft
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:37 am
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby stageleft » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:41 am
Clash isn't subjective, it's just overblown by some people, and some people (usually in the same group) hunt for false positives based on a faulty definition... Clash isn't even always a bad thing. Sometimes contrast is exactly the thing your level needs! The general rule of thumb is that, as long as your level isn't searing people's eyes and it's easy to tell what everything is, the visuals are probably fine.
This right here, explained perfectly.


Return to “Events and Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest