The Secret of 1-Ups

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

The Secret of 1-Ups

Postby zlaker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Now all of you've heard of the 1-Ups in SMBX right? You know those green mushrooms that gives you an extra life. Well here's something I've realized: they're useless in the Level Editor mode. Lemme explain. When you're making a level, not for projects or anything, just a normal level you wanna post in the Level Forum, and you want to test the level. Then you find the 1-Up you've placed in the level and die after a short time. And here's what I'm talking about: you always start with 3 lives in a level no matter what! So when you're making a level that other people can play putting 1-Ups is useless, unless it's 2-player mode. So what's your thoughts about this?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: The Secret of 1-Ups

Postby Megar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 pm

i put 1-ups in levels to make the player feel happy about finding it
disgusting

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Who knows? Back after what feels like absolutely forever!

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:24 pm

I certainly like finding 1-ups. Even in the regular game, unless the level has a midways, lives pretty much don't matter. It's always fun to have lives, though.
Electrokinesis is fun.
Struggling to remember what and why I did things when I was here the last time.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:26 pm

As the level editor was made to test and create levels, rather than playing them in an episode or level pack with backstory, challenge, etc, I think it's legitimate that you can't game over while testing.
I have, however, seen that Dragon Coins are widely seen as more precious than they were intended to be. People hide dragon coins in spots in which 1-Ups could easily be placed. A dragon coin, however, is 1/5 1-Up and the unfair placement of dragon coins often leads to players ignoring them.
The ABC of Creation

Dragonmaster146
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Project M

Postby Dragonmaster146 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Blueoak wrote:i put 1-ups in levels to make the player feel happy about finding it
I support this post.
Group: Image
My GFX pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... f=31&t=906
Devianart: http://dragonkiller146.deviantart.com/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4iri ... xHjJcCUDAw
Wii U Nintendo I.D. - Dragonmaster146
Nintendo Switch Friend Code - SW499429027785

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Emral wrote:A dragon coin, however, is 1/5 1-Up and the unfair placement of dragon coins often leads to players ignoring them.
Certainly sounds like me. I didn't care to get the all in SMW, either, because they didn't count towards completion like Star Coins and they didn't really provide anything.
Electrokinesis is fun.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:in the Level Editor mode...you always start with 3 lives in a level no matter what! So when you're making a level that other people can play putting 1-Ups is useless, unless it's 2-player mode. So what's your thoughts about this?
No freaking crap! Don't tell me you just NOW found this out...
WindyDeclarlo wrote:I didn't care to get the all in SMW, either, because they didn't count towards completion like Star Coins and they didn't really provide anything.
In SMA2, however, you actually ARE rewarded for finding every dragon coin. It's not much (it changes Yoshi's face into Peach's, and it plays a short cinematic showing this), but it's something.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
Spoiler: show
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
Spoiler: show
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Keddy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Luigi and the N.E.A.
Chat Username: elitalianoverde

Postby Keddy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 pm

I like hiding them just as much as the player likes finding them, sort of an Easter feel. I don't like to just hide them in blocks either, no, I like putting them in spots where you'd never look, I like using events to make them pop out of a(n) unsuspected area, rewarded for doing certain things, and stuff like that.
If my grammar ever seems bad, that's because me vale bien y bonito! :v
nya: show

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:39 pm

elitalianoverde wrote:I like hiding them just as much as the player likes finding them, sort of an Easter feel. I don't like to just hide them in blocks either, no, I like putting them in spots where you'd never look, I like using events to make them pop out of a(n) unsuspected area, rewarded for doing certain things, and stuff like that.
I do this as well, but give a Star to the player when they find them all! I use Moon Coins instead, but it is still the Same NPC!

As for 1 ups. They normaly go to the episode category anyway, so there is o harm in doing so!

ImageImageImage

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:39 am

zlakerboy357 wrote:in the Level Editor mode...you always start with 3 lives in a level no matter what! So when you're making a level that other people can play putting 1-Ups is useless, unless it's 2-player mode. So what's your thoughts about this?
I don't start with 3 lives in a level no matter what, actually. That's because instead of opening those levels in the Level Editor, I have an entire world devoted to stretching random levels out so I can play them whenever I feel like it.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
WindyDeclarlo wrote:I didn't care to get the all in SMW, either, because they didn't count towards completion like Star Coins and they didn't really provide anything.
In SMA2, however, you actually ARE rewarded for finding every dragon coin. It's not much (it changes Yoshi's face into Peach's, and it plays a short cinematic showing this), but it's something.
Super Mario World doesn't track what ones you get at all, and I haven't played SMA2, so that helps.
Electrokinesis is fun.

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:And here's what I'm talking about: you always start with 3 lives in a level no matter what! So when you're making a level that other people can play putting 1-Ups is useless, unless it's 2-player mode. So what's your thoughts about this?
Oh wow, I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE! I ALSO DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT 911 OR THAT SMBX IS A THING OR THAT CATS ARN'T FOOD!
What I'm saying is almost EVERYBODY here knows that.
Might be working on an episode maybe.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<Quill> "Let it go." Anna says as Elsa cums

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 pm

SMBXxer wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:And here's what I'm talking about: you always start with 3 lives in a level no matter what! So when you're making a level that other people can play putting 1-Ups is useless, unless it's 2-player mode. So what's your thoughts about this?
Oh wow, I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE! I ALSO DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT 911 OR THAT SMBX IS A THING OR THAT CATS ARN'T FOOD!
1. What I'm saying is that 1-Ups are useless in a individual levels because you start with your levels with 3 lives, no matter what, except for co-op
2. And I can't see the point of your sarcasm. Even though you knew doesn't it mean you post posts like that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 am

SMBXxer wrote:
Keyword almost. People that don't know deserve to know.
Electrokinesis is fun.

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 am

WindyDelcarlo wrote:
SMBXxer wrote:
Keyword almost. People that don't know deserve to know.
Well then, tell all of "them" who don't know "The Secret of The 1-Ups".

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 am

SMBXxer wrote:Well then, tell all of "them" who don't know "The Secret of The 1-Ups".
Uh, yeah, duh, that was the point of this thread. If you're going to argue about something, at least make sure it's a meaningful argument. It looks like you're arguing that this thread shouldn't be here because it's doing what it's meant to.
Electrokinesis is fun.

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:01 am

WindyDelcarlo wrote:
SMBXxer wrote:Well then, tell all of "them" who don't know "The Secret of The 1-Ups".
Uh, yeah, duh, that was the point of this thread. If you're going to argue about something, at least make sure it's a meaningful argument. It looks like you're arguing that this thread shouldn't be here because it's doing what it's meant to.
Lol I'm not even arguing, I just got sucked into it.

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 am

SMBXxer wrote:Oh wow, I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!
Sure sounds like a statement meant to ignite an argument.
While I'm not normally someone to drop out of a debate, I'm fairly sure that by continuing this I'm simply breaking the rules, so I'm done replying here.
Electrokinesis is fun.

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:19 am

WindyDelcarlo wrote:
SMBXxer wrote:Oh wow, I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!
Sure sounds like a statement meant to ignite an argument.
While I'm not normally someone to drop out of a debate, I'm fairly sure that by continuing this I'm simply breaking the rules, so I'm done replying here.
Same here.
But this could be helpful to new users...

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am

The thread can, yes. That's why it was here. I don't think an argument and freaking out that "everyone already knows this" is going to help them, though.
Electrokinesis is fun.

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:28 am

WindyDelcarlo wrote:The thread can, yes. That's why it was here. I don't think an argument and freaking out that "everyone already knows this" is going to help them, though.
*Cough
WindyDelcarlo wrote:I'm fairly sure that by continuing this I'm simply breaking the rules, so I'm done replying here.
Cough*

I just told you that.

Return to “General”