In which part You have the most fun when designing a project?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Jerrysmbxworld
Bit
Bit
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=20333
Chat Username: Jerry Smbxworld™

In which part You have the most fun when designing a project?

Postby Jerrysmbxworld » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Is it level design? Perhaps being inspired to create a episode? Personally, I love Map & Boss designing. I especially love designing the end part of the world? It''s like an interesting transition when You are nearly completion in the world. it's something that I've always find interesting. My favorite worlds are Sky-theme worlds (Also known as Cloud Worlds) and Volcanic worlds (Basically Bowser's Kingdom) They can be a lot trickier since usually You have to be precise about how far You jump. And the lava worlds typically are the hardest ones since the enemies are very diverse.
CHECK OUT MY PROJECT!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Re: In which part You have the most fun when designing a project?

Postby Eri7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:04 pm

This is a very interesting question. If i were to answer it in simple words, it would be designing parts of the game that are cool but if i were to answer it normally, well here we go:
The most fun i get when designing my project is the story, the characters and the brainstorming of ideas with my dev team.
It's just something so special to me when creating a story,i always wanted to tell a story in one way or another and upon realising that i could do that through my project, i decided to try it out and see what happens. I always get inspired by something, music, game or just a simple idea. It makes my head think a lot. And sometimes, i get crazy ideas that i am so thankful to have because it makes the whole story telling much more interesting and unpredictable for people who would want to play my project and that's the fun in it, i get to suprise people, i get to make them feel certain emotions through playing my levels, i get to make them think about my story, talk about it and want to engage in it. That's just so fun for me. I have changed a lot of my project so i can combine it my desired story in the forms of Story Arcs, a mean of progression instead of your normal nintendo worlds that we are so used to. Characters have a purpose, they are all distinct and they have personallity, villains and rivals as well. So to be honest, i have most fun when working on the story of my project. I haven't seen a story driven smbx episode before so some stuff are new to me but i have few people in my dev team who keep me in check and don't let me go off the rails with the story telling haha. I also have fun when designing certain levels or when i design bosses. I swear, designing bosses is one of my favorite things to do in smbx, i have made a lot of bosses and i keep making more because they are so fun to make, just the idea of having the player face against an enemy capable of posing a worthy challenge to the player and to engage in an epic battle is just cool. But yeah, i have the most fun when working on the story of my project because i really, really want to tell a good story that would make YOU want to get engaged in it and also when designing bosses and certain levels.

Also i have the least fun when i have to design levels which require me to put a lot of work in it and also when i have to create graphics.
Writing scripts and fixing bugs is also not really that fun. But what makes me really pissed off is when i have to polish a level 10000 times because it always has flaws in it. Well that's it from me, i will be looking what others have to share as well.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

I had way too much fun with coming up with bizarre themes for each level!

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:08 pm

I have fun when it's time to create the boss and when I think about ideas for the levels

My project:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:09 am

Remaking obsolete or outdated aspects. I sometimes veer into a mode where I redesign sprites for a week. It's low effort and makes things look pretty. Fun!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:41 am

Getting level ideas from other games. The fun ends when I try to recreate them tho

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Idea guys rise up game design is for nerds
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Put custom music from video games I like in many levels is very nice for me. Also it's pretty fun when a part of the level got inspired by other.

NyanMC
Rex
Rex
Flair: Why isnt a reddit link option on the control panel
Current Project: SMBX 2.0 Episode; more revealed later
Chat Username: NyanMC

Postby NyanMC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Jerrysmbxworld wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:36 pm
Is it level design? Perhaps being inspired to create a episode? Personally, I love Map & Boss designing. I especially love designing the end part of the world? It''s like an interesting transition when You are nearly completion in the world. it's something that I've always find interesting. My favorite worlds are Sky-theme worlds (Also known as Cloud Worlds) and Volcanic worlds (Basically Bowser's Kingdom) They can be a lot trickier since usually You have to be precise about how far You jump. And the lava worlds typically are the hardest ones since the enemies are very diverse.
I always found creating the final level in an episode fun. Not the one before the final boss, but the bonus level unlocked after gathering a certain number of stars or completing some bonus levels.

Examples:
Spoiler: show
Grandmaster Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2, Champion's Road from Super Mario 3D World, or Darker Side from Super Mario Odyssey.
Also, creating a gimmick for each level is fun.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in dead memes as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 am

NyanMC wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm
I always found creating the final level in an episode fun. Not the one before the final boss, but the bonus level unlocked after gathering a certain number of stars or completing some bonus levels.
I imagine it'd be suuuper tedious and sucky having to make another 30+ levels for that episode before getting to make a new episode with a new final final level.
Why not JUST make super hard levels for skilled players? You can stuff them with gimmicks regardless of whether or not they're part of a package! And if made standalone, they don't carry dozens of levels you might not wanna spend time on with them.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

AndrewPixel
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Italian that likes time travel
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: AndrewPixel#2486

Postby AndrewPixel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:48 am

The very beginning: when the ideas for a project come up in my mind I can't wait to start turning them into life.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Switch Friend Code: SW-2755-4824-8495
[PGE Italian Translator] [I make logos for your episodes, ask me via Discord or PM]

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 pm

AndrewPixel wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:48 am
The very beginning: when the ideas for a project come up in my mind I can't wait to start turning them into life.
Lol same here...

Return to “General”