What is your favorite mario style (smb1,smb2,smb3,smw,yi, etc.)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Turret 3471
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: What is your favorite mario style (smb1,smb2,smb3,smw,yi, etc.)

Postby Turret 3471 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Personally I've always liked the SMB1 SNES and SMW styles the most, which is probably because of the Super Mario Flash games I used to use a lot before I found SMBX. SMB1 just has such a unique style, colors are different yet pleasing to look at. As for SMW, only other reason I can think of for liking it is because I grew up playing that game the most since it was the only SNES game we had growing up. Anything it its style just brings an instant sense of nostalgia. SMB2 I also like a lot, though tbh the one thing that annoys me is how often people don't get the style correct when making custom sprites, though thankfully there are some out there that managed to replicate it perfectly. It's not really the style I don't like, but it's how a lot of people try to replicate the style where, while the shading might be there, the actual design of the tilesets, npcs, etc. don't fit with the official spritework. (sorry if I kinda went off there, it's just been a thing that's been annoying me for a while)
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Image OHNO

Gud quotes
Witchking666 wrote:that looks aweozme alwo, sorrt im ik a big drunk. i may have drunk a lttle rtoo muxj beer with erik.

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: nyā (にゃー)

Postby Rhosty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Mario Party 9
Image omg zoom is absolute trash, why does my school still use it

xXAndytubeXx
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: luigi is numero uno

Postby xXAndytubeXx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 pm

It's gotta be SMB3 SNES/Advance 4. I personally love how Mario looks.
I'm just a YouTuber who happens to like Mario, Sonic, Minecraft, and Undertale (deltarune is good, too).

Current project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=23187&p=340067#p340067 - Check it out!

Find me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIFmLq ... ZA7hMTDW0Q

I support these:
Image ImageImage Image
Tags:

Memes:

Enderfan
Bit
Bit
Flair: ★The Master of Dimensions★

Postby Enderfan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:10 am

I really like the SMW and YI styles. They are so unique and colorful! The palettes are very nice and bright, which I personally like a lot in a style. Basically any color can be made in the SMW style. YI got the best NPCs as well, if you ask me. The Koopas, Lakitus and most notably, Yoshi's look far more modern and smooth than the ones from SMW. SMW beats all other styles when it comes to the looks of Mario and Luigi, though (the non-recolor Luigi). The SMB, SMB2 and SMB3 Marios' faces and style look off to me. They lack the facial details of SMW Mario.

SMB2 is pretty good as well, and I'd say it is the most unique one, tied with YI. The colors are softer and it really has this dream-like feel around it, which it is supposed to have. It doesn't give you a lot of possibilities when making new sprites in this style, though, as even when you get the shading and palette right, it doesn't necessarily mean it's SMB2 style. It really stands out from the other styles, and the NPCs and blocks look way different from other Mario styles.

SMB3 is good, but not as good as the ones mentioned before. The palette is, as mentioned by many others, rather bland and boring. It's pretty dull-looking and darkened, unlike the other styles' palettes. The tilesets aren't special either, except for the airship and wood ones, like others already mentioned as well. The NPCs are very good, however.

I don't really dislike any style at all, really. Nonetheless, I still have a least favorite style. This one is SMB. Don't get me wrong, it is a really cool style. It's just that it looks too simple and is just not really my taste. I'd also say that it's got the worst NPCs, with awkward outlines and mediocre designs. It's got some redeeming qualities, though, like the SMB Bowser and some of the tiles and backgrounds. The style really isn't bad, it's just less appealing and useful to me.
Well, looks like there's nothing to see here.
Just turn around and pretend you didn't waste those precious seconds of your life.

Return to “General”