Page 2 of 2

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm
by Cedur
Some stuff that I would call really important is missing in the vanilla editor. Say, the SMB3 and SMW ice tilesets. I'd personally like to extend the "vanilla" terminology to custom graphics used in TI2.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:28 pm
by Electriking
Cedur wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Some stuff that I would call really important is missing in the vanilla editor. Say, the SMB3 and SMW ice tilesets. I'd personally like to extend the "vanilla" terminology to custom graphics used in TI2.
But thn it is not just a .lvl file, so it couldn't fall under the definition of vanilla.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm
by Cedur
Definition is up to change.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
by PixelPest
In Beta4 all of the tilesets have been completed so it'll be more reasonable to make vanilla levels that are just a .lvl file. We could also take on the mindset of the SMWC? vanilla which is slightly more lenient, but I don't think that's really necessary here

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
by AndrewPixel
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:43 pm
by Cedur
PixelPest wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
In Beta4 all of the tilesets have been completed so it'll be more reasonable to make vanilla levels that are just a .lvl file. We could also take on the mindset of the SMWC? vanilla which is slightly more lenient, but I don't think that's really necessary here

that's cool to hear

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm
by Eri7
AndrewPixel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
I agree, what if you want to make a game in smbx that is not related to Mario or what you want to do just can't simply by achieved in the vanilla way.
I like smbx because it lets me use my creativity in a lot of ways and smbx didn't have the possibilities to have custom graphics, custom music or even scripts then it would really be a limited engine.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
by TheTrueMarioMaster
AndrewPixel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
But if the vanilla contest took place in SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 it will have a lot of vanilla base game features that those not on the dev team have never experienced before so even limited to no custom graphic/music and no scripts the contest would still include a lot of new content in it.
Eri7 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm
I agree, what if you want to make a game in smbx that is not related to Mario or what you want to do just can't simply by achieved in the vanilla way.
I like smbx because it lets me use my creativity in a lot of ways and smbx didn't have the possibilities to have custom graphics, custom music or even scripts then it would really be a limited engine.
Back in the day SMBX only had custom graphics and custom music with some edibility with the npcs properties but once you've seen everything it kind of gets predictable for what you will encounter based on the enemies movements but with some exceptions (there is a level in MAGLX that somehow managed to make some custom enemies which name I forget). Although now with scripting you can make a ton of unpredictable things in Lunalua.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 pm
by Uzendayo
there are a lot of vanilla smbx episodes. there arent a lot of good smbx episodes

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 pm
by PixelPest
TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
AndrewPixel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
But if the vanilla contest took place in SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 it will have a lot of vanilla base game features that those not on the dev team have never experienced before so even limited to no custom graphic/music and no scripts the contest would still include a lot of new content in it.
True but you don't use every feature in every level. Even if you were just to choose one new NPC to base a level around with a familiar mechanic you've done in Beta3 or even 1.3 you've effectively used Beta4. You'd also have like a month to figure things out

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 am
by Eri7
Uzendayo wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 pm
there are a lot of vanilla smbx episodes. there arent a lot of good smbx episodes
Sadly that's true but i predict that soon, the amount of good smbx episodes will increase.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:32 pm
by TheTrueMarioMaster
PixelPest wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 pm
TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
AndrewPixel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
But if the vanilla contest took place in SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 it will have a lot of vanilla base game features that those not on the dev team have never experienced before so even limited to no custom graphic/music and no scripts the contest would still include a lot of new content in it.
True but you don't use every feature in every level. Even if you were just to choose one new NPC to base a level around with a familiar mechanic you've done in Beta3 or even 1.3 you've effectively used Beta4. You'd also have like a month to figure things out
Yes I wouldn't expect a person to use every single new Beta 4 feature (if someone did than it would either be very impressive or a big jumbled mess) but given how many new blocks, npcs, and other such things will be added in Beta 4 I am sure someone is going to use at least one if not many of the new blocks or npcs unless they are a 1.3.0.1 purist.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:15 am
by Uzendayo
PixelPest wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
In Beta4 all of the tilesets have been completed so it'll be more reasonable to make vanilla levels that are just a .lvl file. We could also take on the mindset of the SMWC? vanilla which is slightly more lenient, but I don't think that's really necessary here
the reason why you can be a little leniant with SMW vanilla levels is because the palette and tiles of a level is inheirently linked to the ROM. in smbx, you cant change the global palette of certain blocks because each single block is its own image.

And even then its a stretch to call what SMWC considers vanilla to be actually vanilla, considering some of the entries from VLDC9.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am
by FireyPaperMario
I got a suggestion to your concern about the lack of Vanilla episodes and levels:



How about some of us makes some of our custom levels made with vanilla gfx? Maybe that'll make knux happy

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am
by Electriking
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am
I got a suggestion to your concern about the lack of Vanilla episodes and levels:



How about some of us makes some of our custom levels made with vanilla gfx? Maybe that'll make knux happy
Looks like it is time to prepare for the next rise of SMB3 levels then.

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 am
by FireyPaperMario
Electriking wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am
I got a suggestion to your concern about the lack of Vanilla episodes and levels:



How about some of us makes some of our custom levels made with vanilla gfx? Maybe that'll make knux happy
Looks like it is time to prepare for the next rise of SMB3 levels then.
Who say I'm gonna make SMB3 custom levels?