Nova Level Contest(2.0/1.3/38A)-Late deadline until 15-th May

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Nova Level Contest(2.0/1.3/38A)-Late deadline until 15-th May

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello everyone, it's me Eri7. It's quite unexpected for me to host a contest considering it's not an official contest but i asked my discord server if they are interested in one and i got over 20 replies which meant that this contest is happening.
So here are the rules:
2.0/1.3 and 38A levels are allowed however as you can see, they are not compatible with each other which means they will be separated into 2 parts of the finished episode.
Please try to keep your level in english if possible.
Levels should be designed only around mario and luigi.
Multiple levels are ALLOWED, yep.
Penalties won't be added anymore, instead we will fix all of the problems the levels have and if they prove to be way too hard and unenjoyable, we will make sure they become
fun to play as the priority in the end of the day is to have the finished version of the contest be fun to play but we are judging levels based on their original state upon submission.

Teasers/Trailers:

Deadline
The contest will start on February 1, 2019 and all levels must be submitted to me in a PM or through discord by May 15, 2019, at 12:00 PM (Central European Time). They must be in a .zip file with the level and necessary files. No encrypted levels are allowed. By submitting a level you also agree for the level to be part of an SMBX episode/s that will feature all of the levels submitted.

The .zip file must be organized like this:
Inside the .zip there must be a level file and the data folder, and all of the custom sound effects.
All custom sound effects must start with the name of your level with a "-" ("levelname-soundName").
Inside the data folder is where all of your custom GFX, music, NPC codes and everything else must go. Do not place the level data outside the data folder, except for custom sound effects.
You can also provide a txt file where you can give some short description of the level or something.
Also please tell me in which version must your level be played in after submitting it to me.

Reward?
Well, winning the 2.0/1.3 and 38A contest will give you a reward which is... the winner can choose one character, OC or from a game and i will design him as a boss in the finished episode.
Also for everyone who participate in the contest, there will be the optional reward of having their OC or a character they want to appear in the episode as a friendly npc and their lines will be provided by the participants.
NEW REWARD: There is now the optional reward of adding an advertisement sign that will be in different sizes for the participate's project/episode/level/youtube channel/etc!

Judges
- Eri7
- MmmMario
- VanillaDude
- Ludwig_Von Koopa
- Shadow Flame

Also you can support this contest by placing this in your signature so it can gain more popularity.

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23371&p=342082#p342082][img]https://i.imgur.com/b3T0Tl4.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Eri7 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 am, edited 13 times in total.

Ludwig_von Koopa
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: FINAL BOSS
Current Project: A MAJOR UPDATE ON N.S.M.W.X
Chat Username: Eric

Re: Nova Level Contest (2.0/1.3 and 38A)

Postby Ludwig_von Koopa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Maybe I will take part as well...
Last edited by Ludwig_von Koopa on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdwgBU ... WCa1NYdeJg
JOIN MY DISCORD SERVER:https://discord.gg/UHbVx23
I'm currently using 1.4.4 Patch 2 for my projects.
CHECK OUT MY PROJECT:

I support:

AndrewPixel
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Italian that likes time travel
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: AndrewPixel#2486

Postby AndrewPixel » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Definitely going to join, the boss idea is genuinely cool. Also what a generous deadline, in this amount of time I could even make two levels XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Switch Friend Code: SW-2755-4824-8495
[PGE Italian Translator] [I make logos for your episodes, ask me via Discord or PM]

Notxarb
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Hi
Current Project: MMX (Mario Maker X) -> including [Super Mario 64X], [Super Mario Universe], [Super Mario Acclivity]
Chat Username: Novarender

Postby Notxarb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Nice, I'll try to make one in time after I get ungrounded.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

Ten points to you if you can figure out what my name is.

Look, I'm not telling you what to do but STOP READING THIS SENTENCE

Hagrid: "You're a wizard, Harry!"
Harry: "You're a hairy wizard!"

NateMon
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Yo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros X, The Lost Levels
Chat Username: Ralsei

Postby NateMon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello everyone, it's me Eri7. It's quite unexpected for me to host a contest considering it's not an official contest but i asked my discord server if they are interested in one and i got over 20 replies which meant that this contest is happening.
So here are the rules:
2.0/1.3 and 38A levels are allowed however as you can see, they are not compatible with each other which means they will be separated into 2 parts of the finished episode.
Please try to keep your level in english if possible.
Levels should be designed only around mario and luigi.
Multiple levels are ALLOWED, yep.

Deadline
The contest will start on February 1, 2019 and all levels must be submitted to me in a PM or through discord by April 1, 2019, at 12:00 PM (Central European Time). They must be in a .zip file with the level and necessary files. No encrypted levels are allowed. By submitting a level you also agree for the level to be part of an SMBX episode/s that will feature all of the levels submitted.

The .zip file must be organized like this:
Inside the .zip there must be a level file and the data folder, and all of the custom sound effects.
All custom sound effects must start with the name of your level with a "-" ("levelname-soundName").
Inside the data folder is where all of your custom GFX, music, NPC codes and everything else must go. Do not place the level data outside the data folder, except for custom sound effects.
You can also provide a txt file where you can give some short description of the level or something.

Reward?
Well, winning the 2.0/1.3 and 38A contest will give you a reward which is... the winner can choose one character, OC or from a game and i will design him as a boss in the finished episode.
Also for everyone who participate in the contest, there will be the optional reward of having their OC or a character they want to appear in the episode as a friendly npc and their lines will be provided by the participants.

Also i am searching for judges, at least 3 more will be enough for this contest.
Judges
- Eri7
- ?
- ?
- ?

Seems like a cool idea, hopefully, I can get a level done by then-

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Question: Are you gonna make 2 different episodes for the contest*?

*1 episode for SMBX 2.0/1.3.1, and another for 1.4.x

Eri7
Banned
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:51 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm
Question: Are you gonna make 2 different episodes for the contest*?

*1 episode for SMBX 2.0/1.3.1, and another for 1.4.x
Yep and they will be connected as Part 1 and Part 2 of the same story which means people can't ignore one or the other if they want to experience the full story of the episode.

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm willing to be a judge since I am not pretty good designing levels

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:57 pm

VanillaDude wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:52 pm
If you don't have decent experience designing levels, how do you expect to judge them?
You have to understand how levels work such as gimmicks, aesthetics, feel to the level and gameplay.
Without having enough experience, you won't be able to properly judge a level.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:57 pm
VanillaDude wrote:
If you don't have decent experience designing levels, how do you expect to judge them?
You have to understand how levels work such as gimmicks, aesthetics, feel to the level and gameplay.
You don't have to be good at designing levels to be good at judging them.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Can we basically start already?

And more importantly, if you want to include our levels directly or indirectly, can you provide some free themes and gaps to go for?

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I am up for this, I would ask to judge, but I actually want the reward, so I will opt out in fairness.

ImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:17 pm
Eri7 wrote:
VanillaDude wrote:
I know but you need at least some experience to understand how levels work. I have seen plenty of people judge levels based on their aesthetics rather than their gameplay and that frustrates me.
Cedur wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm
Can we basically start already?

And more importantly, if you want to include our levels directly or indirectly, can you provide some free themes and gaps to go for?
You can start designing your levels now however you can submit them during the period that i have provided in the topic.
The levels can be anything theme related but as the rules state, they have to be designed only around mario and/or luigi for story purposes.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Going off your skill requirements for judges, I think if you're judging yourself then you should let VanillaDude judge as well...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm
Electriking wrote:
Eri7 wrote:

I know but you need at least some experience to understand how levels work. I have seen plenty of people judge levels based on their aesthetics rather than their gameplay and that frustrates me.
You definitely need knowledge on good game design to be an effective judge, but your ability to execute it has little, if any, correlation to you ability to judge a level. People who judge based off of aesthetics probably lack knowledge of good game design, which would in turn make them unable to judge (and also design levels).
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 pm
Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm
Electriking wrote:

You definitely need knowledge on good game design to be an effective judge, but your ability to execute it has little, if any, correlation to you ability to judge a level. People who judge based off of aesthetics probably lack knowledge of good game design, which would in turn make them unable to judge (and also design levels).
I rather choose people who have experience being a judge or with experience in level design than someone who doesn't have both.

Ludwig_von Koopa
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Ludwig_von Koopa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Also i am searching for judges, at least 3 more will be enough for this contest.
Judges
- Eri7
- ?
- ?
- ?
If you want,I could do it as well.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdwgBU ... WCa1NYdeJg
CHECK OUT MY PROJECT:

I support:

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Ludwig_von Koopa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm
Eri7 wrote:
Judges
- Eri7
- ?
- ?
- ?
I am willing to give you a chance as i saw your previous levels but through a test, tomorrow i will send you a level and i want you to judge it and based on your feedback, i will see if you can be a judge for the contest.

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:57 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm
Ludwig_von Koopa wrote:
Eri7 wrote:
Judges
- Eri7
- ?
- ?
- ?
I am willing to give you a chance as i saw your previous levels but through a test, tomorrow i will send you a level and i want you to judge it and based on your feedback, i will see if you can be a judge for the contest.
But it would not be wrong if I do the same test. That is the best way to decide if you think that I don't have enough experience to be a judge.

Ludwig_von Koopa
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Ludwig_von Koopa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm
Ludwig_von Koopa wrote:
Eri7 wrote:
Judges
- Eri7
- ?
- ?
- ?
OKAY!
CHECK OUT MY PROJECT:

I support:

Return to “General”