Nova Level Contest - Episode coming soon

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Cedur
Toad
Toad

Re: Nova Level Contest(2.0/1.3/38A)-Late deadline until 15-th May

Postby Cedur » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 am

Update: said event is probably scheduled to November 1st

also we're getting closed to results, there's been a couple of more judgings the last days
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

MmmMario
Bit
Bit
Flair: Yeet
Current Project: My current project is living. Trust me, it's hard.
Chat Username: TawPawNaw

Postby MmmMario » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:36 pm

The results of the Nova Level Contest, Part 1 (2.0 levels) are finally here!

Reviews are here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LI ... sp=sharing

If you're interested to learn more join our Discord: https://discord.gg/4KgtAX2

Thanks!
Spoiler: show
Here's Johnny

I will bore everyone out of their mind with my questions!!!
Does anyone else have the PostImages problem? Frankly, it annoys me that sometimes I can't view pictures.

Join mine and MemeLord's(PotatoMario's) server here: https://discord.gg/PUTNGKS

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 am

Couldn't you pls take the time to list reviews on a per-level basis and not on a per-judge basis? (Also the spreadsheet doesn't contain all the reviews?)

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

MmmMario
Bit
Bit
Flair: Yeet
Current Project: My current project is living. Trust me, it's hard.
Chat Username: TawPawNaw

Postby MmmMario » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm

The results of the Nova Level Contest, Part 2 (38a levels) are finally here!

Reviews here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iyP ... zdLio/edit
Here's Johnny

I will bore everyone out of their mind with my questions!!!
Does anyone else have the PostImages problem? Frankly, it annoys me that sometimes I can't view pictures.

Join mine and MemeLord's(PotatoMario's) server here: https://discord.gg/PUTNGKS

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 am

Sad to see barely any praise, excitement or encouragement in the reviews. The few reviews where there is some are like a breath of fresh air next to the checklists of repetitive vague comments and nitpicks. Are the judges okay? Do they need hugs?
Please comment on the positives more! I don't wanna learn about the minor graphical glitches due to some object's render priority that a layman would have missed. I want to learn about the things a level excels at. Paint a picture for someone who hasn't played. It's like you just returned from a treasure hunt and are fixated on the poor room service at the hotel near the excavation site. Some comments go halfway: "Aesthetics were the level's strongest part. It has its own style, the tileset was very well used and every sprite looks very detailed", but here it's not clear WHY it's the level's strongest part because after a short remark about a meteor sprite the section is over. Why even say anything at all when another review's creativity section said "Litterally everything in this level just screams creativity. Do I have to say more?"
To answer that question: Yes. You should.

For future contests I suggest abandoning the restriction of judges having to comment on every subcategory, cause all it leads to is repetition and sentences that reviews would be better off without ("nothing creative in this level"). Give the judges some breathing room, let them talk about the level how they think the level needs to be talked about. Reading these sub-category-comments makes me just feel embarassed for the judges and the level creators, as a lot of them include sentences that make me think a judge completely missed the point, is trying to pad the review or doesn't know how to rank anything. But the very sparse but well-written sections betwixt these situations tell me that all of the judges are better than that.

Another thing I recommend for future contests is that the host plays all levels FIRST and FIXES STUFF LIKE THE BROKEN WARP. It's not only tiring to read the same complaint in every review like it's some sort of highlight of the level, but it's also a potential influence on the final score, when a blunder like this could easily be corrected before judging in order to allow the creator's level to be judged as it was intended. It's the same kind of scenario as penalising for using a non-smb3-star exit that other contests used to do: All it can do is lead to levels getting score reductions for fleeting oversights, which does nothing but muddy the authenticity of the results when measured for quality increase with ascending rank.

Structure your reviews in such a way that you can convey your score without having to talk about nitpicks. Structure your score in such a way that personal nitpicks do not influence it.

I give the reviews in this contest a collective 3/10. Do I have to say more?
The ABC of Creation

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 am

Enjl wrote:Another thing I recommend for future contests is that the host plays all levels FIRST and FIXES STUFF LIKE THE BROKEN WARP. It's not only tiring to read the same complaint in every review like it's some sort of highlight of the level, but it's also a potential influence on the final score, when a blunder like this could easily be corrected before judging in order to allow the creator's level to be judged as it was intended.

I'd say that it's the full responsibility of contestants to ensure that their level is bug-free and can be completed (and it's also your responsibility to read the rules). If you're in a big rush and pressure on deadline day then I might understand (by own experience, kek) that you didn't get to test fully and misplaced the start or forgot a warp etc. But the people pertained even submitted very early iirc. I don't think there's an excuse in that case.

In the case of misplaced start positions we still took the effort and played the full level (this especially pertains Core's ghost site).

btw welcome back from the dead Taw <3

expect a post from me containing the full table soon

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:39 am

Cedur wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 am
Enjl wrote:Another thing I recommend for future contests is that the host plays all levels FIRST and FIXES STUFF LIKE THE BROKEN WARP. It's not only tiring to read the same complaint in every review like it's some sort of highlight of the level, but it's also a potential influence on the final score, when a blunder like this could easily be corrected before judging in order to allow the creator's level to be judged as it was intended.

I'd say that it's the full responsibility of contestants to ensure that their level is bug-free and can be completed (and it's also your responsibility to read the rules). If you're in a big rush and pressure on deadline day then I might understand (by own experience, kek) that you didn't get to test fully and misplaced the start or forgot a warp etc. But the people pertained even submitted very early iirc. I don't think there's an excuse in that case.
I think that stance falls apart as soon as you consider that not everyone joining a contest is innately familiar with the standard submission routine. It may have been fine in this contest specifically, but, like I said, future contests. Counterexample to it being no big deal is MAGLX3. In MAGLX3 we fixed probably over half the levels for stuff like 2 stars in the same section, broken music paths, missing character filters, or wrong exit types. While there wouldn't have been penalties for them by design, some shadow-penalties would've come in if one or more judges ended up fixated on these issues and decided to pull them into the score.
By removing these issues, the level's REAL issues and REAL strengths have a bigger spotlight. Outside of the judges nobody would ever even care about a missing warp entry. Not just because it's fixed in a matter of minutes anyway, but also because even if it slipped past their mind, the agony of losing a placement over such a nitpick can cause nothing but drama. Not to mention that most contests make episodes out of their submissions and they have to fix it for those anyway. And when someone plays the episode and reads about nonexisting issues in the reviews afterwards it just becomes comical. I think minimizing that is in the best interest of the contest and its participants.
The ABC of Creation

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:30 am

Honestly I should ask Eric if he really judged On the Loose to full scope.

Added in 2 minutes 55 seconds:
I also see that its score in the video is significantly higher than in my table (5.05 --> 4.3) so it might already be rejudged

Ludwig_von Koopa
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: FINAL BOSS
Current Project: Who knows?
Chat Username: Eric

Postby Ludwig_von Koopa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 am
Sad to see barely any praise, excitement or encouragement in the reviews. The few reviews where there is some are like a breath of fresh air next to the checklists of repetitive vague comments and nitpicks. Are the judges okay? Do they need hugs?
Please comment on the positives more! I don't wanna learn about the minor graphical glitches due to some object's render priority that a layman would have missed. I want to learn about the things a level excels at. Paint a picture for someone who hasn't played. It's like you just returned from a treasure hunt and are fixated on the poor room service at the hotel near the excavation site. Some comments go halfway: "Aesthetics were the level's strongest part. It has its own style, the tileset was very well used and every sprite looks very detailed", but here it's not clear WHY it's the level's strongest part because after a short remark about a meteor sprite the section is over. Why even say anything at all when another review's creativity section said "Litterally everything in this level just screams creativity. Do I have to say more?"
To answer that question: Yes. You should.

For future contests I suggest abandoning the restriction of judges having to comment on every subcategory, cause all it leads to is repetition and sentences that reviews would be better off without ("nothing creative in this level"). Give the judges some breathing room, let them talk about the level how they think the level needs to be talked about. Reading these sub-category-comments makes me just feel embarassed for the judges and the level creators, as a lot of them include sentences that make me think a judge completely missed the point, is trying to pad the review or doesn't know how to rank anything. But the very sparse but well-written sections betwixt these situations tell me that all of the judges are better than that.

Another thing I recommend for future contests is that the host plays all levels FIRST and FIXES STUFF LIKE THE BROKEN WARP. It's not only tiring to read the same complaint in every review like it's some sort of highlight of the level, but it's also a potential influence on the final score, when a blunder like this could easily be corrected before judging in order to allow the creator's level to be judged as it was intended. It's the same kind of scenario as penalising for using a non-smb3-star exit that other contests used to do: All it can do is lead to levels getting score reductions for fleeting oversights, which does nothing but muddy the authenticity of the results when measured for quality increase with ascending rank.

Structure your reviews in such a way that you can convey your score without having to talk about nitpicks. Structure your score in such a way that personal nitpicks do not influence it.

I give the reviews in this contest a collective 3/10. Do I have to say more?
Personally, I'll take your feedback as you've mentioned quite a few good points.
I think what made the reviews worse though is the fact that these are our first real reviews and, in my case, most of them were done under huge thim constraints as I had a few personal problems.
Just wait and see.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:17 pm

I hope there's something in there you can take away for future reviews of yours! Looking forward to seeing those when it's time.
The ABC of Creation

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm

Is there going to be another contest in the future though? If Eri7 wants to host another level contest in the future, who's gonna deliver the news when it begins?
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Ludwig_von Koopa
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: FINAL BOSS
Current Project: Who knows?
Chat Username: Eric

Postby Ludwig_von Koopa » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:01 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Is there going to be another contest in the future though? If Eri7 wants to host another level contest in the future, who's gonna deliver the news when it begins?
Eri has stated that there is potential for a second contest, yes.
I hope I get to host another one in the future that could be as successful as this one!
He said this in the comments of the video.
Just wait and see.

Inferno_Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Bandana Dee for SSBU DLC!
Current Project: Mario and the Wrath of Dimentio + Project: Taco
Chat Username: Inferno_Guy

Postby Inferno_Guy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:12 am

This was fun to participate in, and glad to have won the 38a side! Good job to the other peeps who got 2nd-6th place, and good job AirSheep on winning the 2.0 side!
If you're looking for my Discord server, Featherflock Studios, it has been deleted because it was a ghost town and I never really cared about it either lol. I made a new one though for a new project of mine tho:
Image Image

Follow the development for my project: Mario and the Wrath of Dimentio (MATWOD) by joining the Novaverse!

Check out my custom levels!

Check out my projects!

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:55 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm

there are enough people who can, myself, Inferno, Taycamgame, also Taw once he comes back to Discord ...

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:17 am

Here's the final overall rankings. The 38A half is marked in blue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aertpwnvngj7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Re: Nova Level Contest - Episode coming soon

Postby Eri7 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 am

So I didn't have the chance to say this before but that was a very successful contest with 40 submissions. It is my first contest and it was so successful which makes me very happy. As you might already know, The Novaverse announced its second contest that is being hosted by Cedur. I hope it ends up fun for everyone involved since its focused on the people's choice of the contest's gimmick. I also am announcing that soon, an episode of the contest will get released so stay tuned for that. I apologize it took so long to judge the contest and now release an episode of it but hopefully the wait was worth it. Anyway good luck to the people who will participate in the second Nova Level Contest.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:02 am

Quick update, 8luestorm has agreed to design both world maps for both versions of the Nova Contest and so far, the 38A world map has been finished! I have also promised to design the bosses that the winners of the contest desired so that will be fun, I will release this episode when I post the topic of my next project which should happen fairly soon.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 am

I'm still a lil bit confused. Is there going to be a separate 38A episode of the 16 levels, AND they're being included in SMNZero?

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:36 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 am
I'm still a lil bit confused. Is there going to be a separate 38A episode of the 16 levels, AND they're being included in SMNZero?
Everything will be explained once the episode is released.

Return to “General”