Journey to Completion - Kaizo Contest X 1 All Levels Clear

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Journey to Completion - Kaizo Contest X 1 All Levels Clear

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 pm

I asked if anyone would be interested in a blog about trying to complete every episode in existence live and some people said they were intrested

So this is my blog about my journey to have no life 100% every episode (maxing out game percent) under the following rules:
1. No uncompleted or demo/beta versions of episodes
- If it mentions the episode is unfinished in any way, I will not play it
2. No installation of episodes that could possibly lead to a pc virus.
3. No cheat codes
4. Patching is only allowed if it is impossible to complete a level
5. I will be starting backwards with Page 21 with the episodes forums
6. The day count will only include those when I am actively working on this
I usually stream these here: https://www.twitch.tv/eclipsedseventyfive

Current Page: 11
Current Episode: Kaizo Contest 3 [Mountain of Scars]
Current Day: 75
Episodes Completed: 170
Without further ado, here is a blog written in an overly dramatic fashion.

Day 22: I finally arrived at an Oasis, Tower of Biased 8 after the strenuous and difficult travels here. The worst one was Super Luigi Bros 3, which was essentially a poorly written fanfiction, had multiple softlocks, loads of backtracking, and quite literally featured 40 minutes of pure waiting. What's worse about this one is that it didn't have the decent final level challenges at the last level like the last two have. Instead it featured a love triangle between diddy kong, dixie kong, and Mario, who was Kevin. In fact, they kept calling the nintendo characters different names and I was slightly irked. I have endured countless trials of tribulation and strength such as the final boss of Airship Adventure. Having a bomb spawn every half minute while you are trying to dodge roto-discs and two rinka generators is not fun. The tedium of the desert has gotten to me at times with its tactics such as The Green Star Quest and The Search for the White Stars which were essentially worse versions of The Great Castle Adventure or Some Mario's one block parkour and live patching several times on stream. With every waking step to get out this desert, I grow weary and exhausted with a faint glisten in the distance. Last time I had a respite was with episodes such as Bowser's Doomship Revenge and Island of Dreams and Illusions (Note: These are episodes that some people would like, but other people wouldn't like in my opinion, which is a 4/10 rating on my scale). I step forward into the Tower of Biased 8 Oasis and I must drink. "You know contest episodes are a mixed bag" - TheDinoKing 3/20/19. Hopefully it will be enough.

Added in 7 hours 33 minutes 47 seconds:
Day 22: Updated, I have just finished playing Tower of Biased 8 in terms of enjoyment (not necessarily creativity/graphics/design wise) and my two least favorite levels in no order are the following:

33rd Place - Invasion of Destruction
Spoiler: show
This level without the custom graphics is difficult. However, after the custom graphics got slapped on the difficulty of this level really ramped up quite a bit. The main issue with this level is that due to the similar palettes of the npcs and backgrounds. Countless times, I died to a dark red npc blending into the background going 60mph, which is further exacerbated by the fact that the autoscroller in the first section is fast and you have to dodge numerous things at once. The section after this requires you to outrun a p-switch, so it forces you to rush while demanding you to dodge to a max of 4 things at once while you're eyes are trying to tell what in the world is going on
Tl;dr The level felt like I was learning every part of the level while playing it rather than playing it via reaction and skill to beat it.
13th Place - PGE Airship
Overall this level was all over the place and really did not have a sense of what it wanted to be. Suddenly, I'm climbing nets, dodging lightning, or randomly eating berries and the sections feel too short to be substantial. This level is all over the place and lacks cohesiveness other than lightning occasionally shows up in areas or it takes place in the sky. Design wise the first half is at least okay and at most good. (Besides the fact there's a sequence break section 3 where you can just use the goomba to skip a whole portion of the level. <br/>
The second half is really iffy design. One section right after the midpoint you have to dodge lakithunder throwing bombs to break bridges and due to pseudo-rng I died a ton to it and put it quite literally impossible situations to beat the level since it demanded red coin collection. This section would have been much better without the coin requirement. It looks cool, but it doesn't play well. Two sections after the midpoint, you have to eat berries with yoshi. It's a neat concept but the more I played the level the more I got annoyed how my progress got delayed during it. Also this section can crash the game so I had to skip a sequence with pressing one p-switch to go to the other half of this section. One of the gold berries expected you to fall off the right side of a map with the only indication that a random donut block is there and was way too hard to find naturally. The only reason I got the secret star was because I was using yoshi with a blue shell. I still have absolutely no idea if that's what you're supposed to do after you collect all the berries or if it's something else.
I did not like the boss fight at all in this level, it's essentially waiting to dodge lightning. A bunch of flying koopas spawn and you have to kill all of them in a 2-3 screen area, so I'm trying to go back and forth respawning the koopas since some of them despawned. And it's impossible to die in since it gives you mushrooms really quickly so essentially you're just waiting for the boss to end. If the mushrooms weren't there this boss would be way too difficult instead of repetitive. Also if you stand still when there's only lakitu and lightning there's a 90% chance he won't hit you. Also, the 3rd wave softlocks you because I looked in the editor instead of putting the bubbles and koopas in different layers the creator put them in the same layer, which means that if a bubble pops and you despawn it instead of killing it you just get softlocked. The fact that the layers were different for all but one seems like this level was really rushed. Eventually, I beat this boss and I felt like I was essentially waiting the whole time. I honestly do not think this level should have placed in top 20
Tl;dr This level tries to do too much and too little at the same time. There's numerous mechanical flaws with the engine that kill enjoyment from the gameplay.
My two favorite levels in terms of enjoyment in order were
3rd Place - Celestial Starstorm
This level had really astounding visuals and the usage of the lava was overall creative. I really loved how the level felt alive each time the lava shifted or sections zones changed. It felt vibrant and ever-changing. Also another thing I appreciate is that the secret star is clearly communicated through red coins without directly mentioning it. The two sided vertical lava at the end actually felt threatening with the way the sound effects were used to warn you.
14th Place - Moonwalk Cola
This level is admittedly worse than the ones that placed higher. I just thought the graphic swap in this level was really funny especially with the bosses. I did not the item backtracking that much however.
Bosses:
Worst Boss Fight:
I didn't think I would make this thread so I'll give it to Invasion of Destruction on the technicality that it didn't exist.
Best Boss Fight:
2nd Place Uprising Heights - This boss had the only boss that didn't feel really repetitive, have a cramped arena, or felt like I was essentially waiting.
MVP Levels:
59th Place - An Autumn Stroll for giving me a hammer suit for boss fight
53rd Place - Woods of Wonder for giving me a tanooki suit for the following
Usage
52nd Place - Europhic Eyemart, the second star is literally inaccessible unless you do a spin clip with the suit into the pipe and then do statue rising in the section with two big piranha plants
10th Place - PGE Woody Forest, I really didn't feel like looking for the secret exit so I did two easy versions of the statue clip to sequence break what I needed to do for the level
Last edited by Eclipsed on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Check Out SMBX Servers List - It Hosts Every SMBX Server

Check out my channel for SMBX content and custom levels

My Best Speedruns:
[WR] Invasion 2 Any% All Characters in 28:28:602

[WR] The Princess Cliche in 7:16:263
[WR]Another Princess Cliche in 23:44:217
[WR] The Great Empire in 15:36:686
[WR]Super Mario Land Returns in 7:18:141
"I am the embodiment of Canada" - Darkonius Makavar

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Re: Journey to Completion

Postby Eri7 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Damn Eclipsed, you are doing way too much for this community...
But this is very interesting and i will be checking out your progress.

Scroll
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: :squint:
Current Project: I'm not a spoiler :v
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 pm
Damn Eclipsed, you are doing way too much for this community...
And by the way, I feel like if he were the official SMBX streamer/showcaser
Electriking wrote:Signatures are overrated.

Marcus248
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: I'm so tired...
Current Project: Super Mario Nostalgia (SMF1 Series)
Chat Username: Marcus#8989

Postby Marcus248 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Honestly, wasn't too sure if he was going to hold onto this task, it's impressive that you're making so much progress. Keep up the good work, bro!

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Firstly, I would like to say I really don't think I'm doing anything for the community by playing all the episodes. All I'm doing is playing the game out of the fun it is.
Also blog posts won't be daily, only every once in a while real life and all

Day 25: Anyways I was playing Wario Land 1 (5/10), and was surprised that every level felt distinct and no two different levels felt the same, through it there were only really 3/21 levels I actively disliked. Also it had weird graphical issues that slightly hindered gameplay and weird design choices in its bad levels. I was looking forward to playing Wario Land 2 (4/10), but I think the author wanted his episode to be better and more expansive so what ended up happening is that instead of every level feeling different you would have 4 levels of the same theme, but only add one element to the gimmick, which made these levels feel kind of repetitive, and I was thinking this could have been a lot better if these 2, 3, 4 levels were just one level. In fact the best level of Wario Land 2 only used that theme once, and I was left thinking that in an effort to make his episode better in its sequel, it somehow ended up worse due to this which is quite a paradox. Also, the boss rush at the end of Wario Land 1 is easier variants of all the bosses, which I found amusing.

My Best Speedruns:

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Journey to Completion - Help on this jump please

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm

Day 26: I have been working through Page 17 and have encountered a roadblock in Forbidden Kaizo 3, a misnomer, but I am having trouble doing one jump. I've asked several people so far, and the forum thread's second reply is RudeGuy07 stating they did the jump in around 5 tries, so it is possible. I do not know what I am missing, but can anyone help describe how to do this jump?

My Best Speedruns:

MegaDood
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am

I feel like you're an explorer on a quest to discover the unknown... This incredible journey should be written into SMBX lore. Also, does this thread get updated every time an episode is completed?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 am

About the jump, there's a bit of missing information for me to fully judge what might be going on, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
With Peach, and I think Mario too, a running full jump has the potential to get you over the entire setup. I don't know what's on the other side, so that might just land you in a pit.
Spinjumping on the crabs won't get you far, as you probably already figured out, and a running spinjump to the thwomp might be possible as Luigi, but I'm uncertain.
Another idea I had was to down-stab the crabs and then the spikes next to the Thwomp as Link. If character change is an option, this seems like the most plausible way to approach this setup to me, again without knowing what's further to the right.

I hope some of this information proves to be useful to you.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Eclipsed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 am
About the jump, there's a bit of missing information for me to fully judge what might be going on, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
With Peach, and I think Mario too, a running full jump has the potential to get you over the entire setup. I don't know what's on the other side, so that might just land you in a pit.
Spinjumping on the crabs won't get you far, as you probably already figured out, and a running spinjump to the thwomp might be possible as Luigi, but I'm uncertain.
Another idea I had was to down-stab the crabs and then the spikes next to the Thwomp as Link. If character change is an option, this seems like the most plausible way to approach this setup to me, again without knowing what's further to the right.

I hope some of this information proves to be useful to you.
I forgot to specify that the level restricts to mario only, and I tested by extending the level out left that if I reach max speed with mario if i spinjump off the last pixel of the concrete I can land on the thowmp, but I'm not sure how I can reach max speed due to how smbxs acceleration works and how small the block is. The only other theories I can think of is somehow the change from 1.3 to 1.3.0.1 changed the thowmps hitbox or there's a really weird pixel perfect exploit/glitch in the game or i can clip through using the hub (that has no powerups) with luigi with some sand interaction.

Here's the hub:
No Powerups
Shy guys are friendly so can't npc movement clip either

Here's the full level:
MegaDood wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am
I feel like you're an explorer on a quest to discover the unknown... This incredible journey should be written into SMBX lore. Also, does this thread get updated every time an episode is completed?
No, I'm only going to be posting when I have time to/feel like there's something worth talking about.

Added in 3 hours 32 minutes 39 seconds:
Update:

For the jump at the end, I’ve decided to just patch it. I asked MECHDRAGON, bossedit8, and lockirby2 and they told me that the jump was p much impossible. Furthermore, when asked to the person who heated the level they said they think they probably used cheat codes.

My Best Speedruns:

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Re: Journey to Completion - Jump Update

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:31 pm

This is exactly why testing is important. Feels bad that you went through this trouble for nothing.
Also is it me or do all kaizo levels just not care about the look of the level? Almost every one i've seen, basically just blocks here and there (like the screenshot shows)
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Journey to Completion - Forbidden Kaizo 2+3 Review

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 am

Day 27: After that conundrum, I finally beat Forbidden Kaizo 3, and the experience was awful more in the sense, I was severely disappointed than rather annoyed.

Forbidden Kaizo 3 Review
My experience throughout this episode was not good, so first of all, I was trying to play the first level and after 10 minutes, I looked at the thread and it was stated that Mario Trial 1 was beaten in 5 tries, so I try the level again for another 10 minutes. Then after that debacle, I decided to patch the level. However, even with the patch, the level demands you to literally jump off of the very last pixel of the block, so I spend another 20 minutes trying to do this frame/pixel perfect jump and have too much momentum that I get killed by the podoboo, in around 20 minutes IGT, I only pulled off the jump 5 times. I attempted to use the gfx of the blocks, lift my finger slightly up use my speedrun timer and try to eye the frame, tried to analyze a clip of it and in the end I feel like I literally only got lucky. This whole section took 40 minutes.

All of the below took 8 minutes.
So after that mess, I decide to do the 2nd Mario Trial which is literally waiting slowly for mushroom blocks to spawn out and I'm essentially waiting for like 3 minutes trying to catch them from the generator. This feels like something from Super Luigi Bros 3.

After that came the luigi challenges.
The first challenge was that I was running on Ice and there was spikes at the end, but the creator didn't know if i just jump left i lose all my momentum so that nullified the gimmick of the level.
The second challenge I died once because it was severely unclear there was wrap around, and the level wasn't kaizo

After that came the peach challenges
The first one was fighting mouser while half the blocks were bomb breakable, which didn't matter since once you hit mouser once you can quickly cycle him by picking up the next bomb as soon as possible, and even if the bricks broke you still have half the stage and a float to work with.
The next one was larry koopa on a floor with ice physics, so wow, amazing.

After that came the toad challenges
The first one was running first where you literally jump over 4 spikes, and the only sense of difficulty is just deciding not to be an idiot and jump into the rotodiscs. This level feels like someone made a geometry dash level in 30 seconds.
The next one gave you 17.5 seconds to get a star and a key, or else you get killed, only issue is this can easily be done in 15 seconds first try. Also if you try to get the star first and die, restart on death and the way stars work makes it you only need to get a key, so you can die and have a easier time in the level.

Also the final boss is just smb3 bowser with breakable blocks so its the easier way people use that boss. Furthermore due to the level layout you can do an exploit which locks bowser on the left side and have him just kill himself without working on where to lead him.

Also, the hub said that the 1-up generators were slow when you get 6 1 ups every 1.5 seconds around the time to collect 6 1 ups.
Honestly, the only positive thing I can say about this is that the poison mushroom farm was unique.

In Conclusion, the luigi, toad, peach, and mario challenges + final boss were not kaizo so this miserably failed at its goal
The most difficult one to beat was the first mario challenge due to fake/pit difficulty reason and just felt like pseudo-RNG eventually
No one should ever play this episode, and I'm giving this a 0/10.
Forbidden Kaizo 2 Review
Firstly, this is better than FK3 already due to the fact that you don't need to patch it to beat it. However this is still pretty bad. The beginning is spin jumping on a saw to build a bridge of length 20 invisible blocks, so I'm essentially wasting my time building this bridge.

After that there are two legitmately hard jumps one with a bullet generator and one with a koopa shell, but the latter did not feel natural at all unlike Super Shellway 3000.
After that you essentially had pseudo-RNG with trying to aim bullets from a billy gun in a one block space to kill larry koopa, and unclarity issues with blocks under the level boundary.
Then you just had to sit in a window and hold the billy gun to kill 4 bosses and hope SMB bowser doesnt kill you via RNG

I suggest avoiding playing this level also, since it's really not kaizo. It just has 2 hard jumps and I'm giving this a 2/10 due to the fact there were actually 2 difficult jumps and the level didn't majorly annoy the hell out of me. Everything under 2 star is really obnoxious to play.
Also there was another episode that there was 6 levels in a row with no checkpoints so I had to abuse i-frames on the 5th/6th level
In other news, next episode is Make A Good Level X so I can finally play a contest after this nonsense

My Best Speedruns:

SAStar777
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: At the moment, nothing much...
Chat Username: SAStar777

Postby SAStar777 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:53 am

So this is what this Journey to Completion thread is. (I first saw it at some point when it got the latest reply but didn't feel like checking it out before. Have seen many of the episodes done on stream, though, and have clipped some funny moments as well as that one point Eclipsed needed to analyze.)

Yeah, that Forbidden Kaizo 3 episode is...not a good one.
What is is in a nutshell (spoiler in case you want to read the review first): show
It's like Rage Mario, except without a ton of 1-block parkour and with a level that ended up being considered impossible. Doesn't even reach fake kaizo-tier of difficulty in all but one level, and said level needed patching.

...Btw, where's Days 1-21 in this blog? (I was honestly looking for any mention of that one Super Mario Galaxy inspired episode that turned out to be unfinished.)
yaaaaaaawn Huh? Oh. Hi. I'm SAStar. ...I don't do stuff here much.
Want to play Mafia but can't here because it closed? Minigame Plaza just so happens to have Mafia games played the same way as they were played here. We also have Roll the Dice, DnD, and more. We welcome all players regardless of experience in the games (or lack thereof). If you're interested, click here to join.

Upcoming Mafia game: Bowser's Mafia Attacks the Mushroom Kingdom by Mosaic! (16 players, 15/16 slots filled.)
I support these projects: show
Image Image Image
Other Images I Put In This Signature: show
I'll just be closing this sig with some random color text now...

55jedat555
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: it's some kaizo thing
Chat Username: 55jedat555

Postby 55jedat555 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Taycamgame wrote: Also is it me or do all kaizo levels just not care about the look of the level? Almost every one i've seen, basically just blocks here and there (like the screenshot shows)
Firstly, to make things clearer, there's barely any Kaizo in SMBX, so the picture you get from looking at such levels/episodes gives limited representation on what's actually going on in, for instance, the Kaizo ROM hacking communities. Secondly, aesthetics never played an important role in (traditional) Kaizo level design, seeing as it focuses on the gameplay (and cheese prevention, to assure the level is only beatable the way it was intended to be beaten in) rather than making it look pretty and appealing. You can refer to this document to get an even better picture of what Kaizo actually is about: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U5a ... J5TeE/edit
My YouTube channel: jedat555
Check out my levels!
"Don't trust your eyes, trust mine."
I support:

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Journey to Completion - Insane Link Level

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

I love this document thanks for linking it.
Day 28: Nothing significant happened except, I came across one of the hardest levels I have played or seen in a while. The only reason I was able to beat it was because of the original video of it. If that was not present, I really think I would not have managed to beat this level.

My Best Speedruns:

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Journey to Completion - Various Reviews

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:09 am

Day 32

Megaman
Essentially, this game starts out with the entire world map unlocked. It is a boss rush and even if you enter those files you can just damage boost with the powerup at the start of the level. So, the bosses are optional and even in the level file they are optional. The only thing to complete is the catch nabbit stage, where nabbit collides with a poison mushroom, runs off screen and the game crashes. Jumping on nabbit solves this issue and then you run in a straight line to get a collectible star which means you have to die to 100% this. Rating 0/10

Troll Island
There's 3 levels with literally no indication of where door warps are. Rating 0/10

Tower of Biased 5
Why is every level a 12 minute marathon. Essentially, I feel the level is creative and cool but I'm not having fun due to a level dragging out to long or being stressed out that I will die. Favorite levels: 4th + 1st Place. Also, these were the only levels in top 10 that was not a complete marathon.

Forbidden Kaizo
It seems the first one was more creative and introduced concepts more well and less of the design was repetitive or boring. However, none of these were particularly difficult. The final level is the saving grace of this episode. It essentially displays the level in review and feels fair in difficulty. Also, there's a gaga at the end where bowser slowly falls off a conveyor belt. Rating 3/10
Super Blancho X
The episode starts out with Mario ending up in jail and having to do community service as punishment. The first level is about becoming the IRS and expecting taxes. That being said, I did not expect this episode to be as decent as it was. Essentially, this episode is a kaizo-lite episode but it provides leeway with powerups. Every single npc placement feels purposeful and has a usage and did not feel used for fake difficulty, including no difficulty due to RNG. However, the downsides were the first 2 levels out of 11 total were not that great, there was a clarity issue in one of the levels with text and you have to enter 2 levels each time you have to play a level. Essentially, if these things were fixed, I would replay this casually, but for now it's a turn off so my final rating is 5/10. I would recommend this as an episode to bridge the gap between hard and kaizo-lite.
Added in 4 minutes 50 seconds:
Episodes to Check Out: [4-10]/10 Range. Count: 19
Note: The bottom rating is essentially some amount of people might like these, but some amount of people, so essentially, I'd say check these out for a first glance to see if you'd enjoy playing them.
Note 2: If the episode is not listed here, that could mean I have not streamed it yet.
2k15 Fall Calamity
Another Princess Cliche
Betterfried 2+5
Bowsers Doomship Revenge
Enigmatic Daymare
Island of Dreams and Illusions
Luigi's Boss Rush
Luigi’s Fight For the Mushroom Kingdom
Mario Classic
Mario Mansion 2-4
Super Blanchon X
That One Arena
The Great Empire
The Invasion 2
The Universe War
Your Journey Awaits (Was told patches fixed its issues)
Episodes I would Replay [Count: 8]
Another Princess Cliche
Betterfired 2+5
Mario Classic
Mario Mansion 3-4
The Invasion 2
The Last King is Hyrule
Remakes [Count: 4]
Ace Attorney X Mr. Luigi Episodes 1+2
Super Kaizo Mario World X 1-2
Super Mario Land Returns
Contests [Count: 4]
Crazy Cat Corridor
Kaizo Contest X
Tower of Biased 1
Tower of Biased 5
Tower of Biased 8
Last edited by Eclipsed on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

My Best Speedruns:

SAStar777
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SAStar777 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:59 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:14 am
Troll Island
There's 3 levels with literally no indication of where door warps are. Rating 0/10
Wow, really? I missed this one when it was streamed, and this...isn't what I expected it to be.

Anyway, the other day, I broght up the SMBX Classics Collection after remembering about it since they were episodes made before 2014. Eclipsed said he'll save those for the end of page 1 to ensure good quality at the end of this. ...Except for Valtteri Island since he'll reach Revisited before then.

I have to wonder, though. Eclipsed, if, for some reason, you reach another episode in the collection before you reach the collection itself, which I HIGHLY doubt, will you take it on right there and then as well?
Want to play Mafia but can't here because it closed? Minigame Plaza just so happens to have Mafia games played the same way as they were played here. We also have Roll the Dice, DnD, and more. We welcome all players regardless of experience in the games (or lack thereof). If you're interested, click here to join.

Upcoming Mafia game: Bowser's Mafia Attacks the Mushroom Kingdom by Mosaic! (16 players, 15/16 slots filled.)
Image Image Image

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Day 33'
Yeah if it's the newest version to SAStar's question.

Also Wario Land 2 and The Koopalings Back have been removed due to softlock issues. Only want functional episodes on the list.

My Best Speedruns:

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Journey to Completion - 2 Reviews

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 am

Day 39
Rating System
0-2/10 means I would recommend no one to ever play these
3/10 means it doesn't do anything wrong but it's mostly forgettable in the long run
After that there is a sizable quality shift
4/10 means that some people may not like the episode and some people may like the episode
5/10 means if some things were changed, I would definitely replay the episode
6-10/10 means I would replay the episode.

Luigi's Boss Rush 5/10
After the trek of boss rushes, I finally encountered Luigi's Boss Rush. It featured 9 different bosses and almost of the room layouts were really creative in how npcs were positioned and interactions with the player and the way to gain ammo to defeat the boss. The worst boss was the first one since it was literally just three mousers. Other than that this episode was pretty fun. However, this episode suffers from difficulty balancing because some of the bosses like yoshi required you to dodge a hammer bro, a rinka, and a fast ludwig at the same time and slight repetitiveness with bosses such as birdo and weegee, but that's a given based on this time period. A good point is that it knows exactly when to provide lives since restart on death is true. If both these issues were solved, I would definitely replay this episode.

Tl;dr Luigi's Boss Rush is the best boss rush I have played so far and is definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed it or not.
Pit of 100 Trials 0/10
Essentially you had to kill the right enemy almost 100 times to progress to the next section. Was extremely repetitive and dragged out for way too long. To top it all off the ending was a boss rush with no interesting layouts, so needless to say I did not have fun with this episode. Also was not sure if restart level on death was active or not, the episode has no checkpoints at all so if it was not active you had to play essentially 1 hour without dying.

My Best Speedruns:

SAStar777
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SAStar777 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 am
Pit of 100 Trials 0/10
Essentially you had to kill the right enemy almost 100 times to progress to the next section. Was extremely repetitive and dragged out for way too long. To top it all off the ending was a boss rush with no interesting layouts, so needless to say I did not have fun with this episode. Also was not sure if restart level on death was active or not, the episode has no checkpoints at all so if it was not active you had to play essentially 1 hour without dying.
Based on this, it sounds like this was a lot like one of the Pits of 100 Trials in Super Paper Mario, so the details of this episode didn't surprise me.

...And now I can only guess what you'd think if/when you take on any Pit of 100 Trials in either Paper Mario game with at least one.

Image Image Image

MegaDood
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 am

SAStar777 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm
Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 am
Pit of 100 Trials 0/10
Based on this, it sounds like this was a lot like one of the Pits of 100 Trials in Super Paper Mario, so the details of this episode didn't surprise me.

...And now I can only guess what you'd think if/when you take on any Pit of 100 Trials in either Paper Mario game with at least one.
Wasn't it also used in a Super Mario World ROM hack?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Return to “General”