Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Bowser's Bosses Fight Review]

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Cedur
Toad
Toad

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [New Forum Complete + Rule 3 Update]

Postby Cedur » Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 pm

where are the talking time forums? I couldn't find them from a quick google research.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Subcon Stars Boss Rush and Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Boss Rush

Review
Spoiler: show
Subcon Stars is an SMB2 style episode that's basically a casual romp. Check it out if you want something to just kill time, it's not really intensive and if it's not something I'd play again. My main issue is a third of the levels were just unnecessary mazes

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Yoshi's Archipelago Prequel Boss Rush and Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:09 pm

I definitely recommend playing Super RMN World. It's a collab episode with some truly unique levels in here. Like most collab levels it takes a bit to start, but after it does man it was fun. Also, this episode has a strange effect that it's actually better if you decide to collect the optional dragon coins. This episode is comparable to the sequel and two of the boss fights I have never seen before in an smbx episode. There's this mouser boss fight where you need to jump on big bombs to get to a higher place and this mother brain fight that shoots canons at you. So I'd definitely recommend this.

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Need help!
Current Project: Star of Darkness

Postby Animebryan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 pm
where are the talking time forums? I couldn't find them from a quick google research.
https://www.talking-time.net/
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 am

Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 am
Cedur wrote:

thanks, but where can I find SMBX content?

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Animebryan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 am
Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 am
Cedur wrote:

thanks, but where can I find SMBX content?
https://www.talking-time.net/tags.php?tag=sttb
Seems like they were planning to make another game called STTB 3: Percy's Revenge, but that thread started about 5 years ago & stopped 3 years ago. I guess after producing 3 whole episodes they all must've felt burnt out with SMBX. Maybe someone can convince them to pick up Beta 4 and go for a 4th game, but I wouldn't count on it.
Last edited by Animebryan on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm
Also, from what Eclipsed said, it sounds like one of the lead developers told him he couldn't do a LP of their episodes, which is weird, and a huge red flag. It's also hypocritical considering that I did a LP of the entire trilogy about 4 years ago & those videos are still up & I've never received a request to take them down (unless they simply don't know about them).
That's not what happened. You're misreading that, that's referring to one of the community leads requesting me not to play episodes from former community members who did literal illegal things. I played the talking time episodes already.

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Animebryan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:46 pm
Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm
Also, from what Eclipsed said, it sounds like one of the lead developers told him he couldn't do a LP of their episodes, which is weird, and a huge red flag. It's also hypocritical considering that I did a LP of the entire trilogy about 4 years ago & those videos are still up & I've never received a request to take them down (unless they simply don't know about them).
That's not what happened. You're misreading that, that's referring to one of the community leads requesting me not to play episodes from former community members who did literal illegal things. I played the talking time episodes already.
Ohhhh. Whoops. My bad :P

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Epic Quest: Initial Thoughts]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Epic Quest by Unknown68D is an episode that I have mixed feelings on. On the one hand, it has clever design elements here and there and would be perfectly fine as an any% episode to play. It feels like it would be what Mario Classic would be if it had less switches and was based upon NSMB instead of SMB3. However, 100%ing is really mixed. On the one hand there's really neat dragon coin rooms and ways to get them. However, on the other hand sometimes to get the dragon coin you have to enter a random pipe. Some levels have the entrances well telegraphed, but in the context of the whole episode this forces the player to check every single pipe after 1-4 due to setting a precedent. In fact, some of the dragon coins are really cleverly placed. There was one where you had to use an ice flower to freeze 3 goombas falling a bridge that you could not jump over. Then you nab them and stack them to get a dragon coin. All in all, this episode based on the first 3 worlds is one I recommend only any%ing. It's also pretty good for a first episode. If this episode is within my top 5% of episodes, it's likely to be placed at the very bottom due to badly telegraphed dragon coins. Currently, I give this episode probably a 6/10.

Added in 2 hours 28 minutes 57 seconds:
I retract my previous statement. I now give the episode a 5.2/10. There was a level that physically didn't work in the episode and also, both of the world 4 bosses literally had projectile attacks that were not telegraphed at all. Which literally means that I died due to bad boss design after I beat a hard level collecting both star coins. Both times, I didn't know there was a projectile generator and what they were generating in a specific place and I died immediately. It was really unfair and not that fun especially considering the fact checkpoints are useless for 100% and doing the 100%ing of a level makes all the levels at least one minute longer.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:56 am

Since this episode is still not finalized, your input is greatly appreciated.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:56 am
Since this episode is still not finalized, your input is greatly appreciated.
The main issue is like a lot of the 100%ing requirements drag the episode down in quality in indirect ways. It's fine to any% and it's definitely a really good episode for a first episode. Also, I'm playing this one since you said it was on indefinite hiatus

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Epic Quest: Midpoint Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:14 pm

World 5 was alright for the most part and alleviates most of the issues I had with the first 3 worlds. The main issue with world 5 is the level 5-S. This is by far the worst level in the episode so far and all of it stems from the 100% requirement for the episode of requiring to gather all 5 dragon coins. This level is an atrocity and I'll explain why.

Dragon Coin 1: This one is fine for the most part. It had a slight issue since your line of vision was towards a grey snifit meaning that it was kind of iffy to keep in mind enemies that might just fall on you when you had something more immediate falling towards you.

Dragon Coin 2: This dragon coin is awful design in its entirity. The first time you see this dragon coin, you barely have enough time to react to it and attempt to get it meaning that you have to already know it's there through pre-emption rather than reaction. However, after that if you try to get it, you barely have enough time to as it's unreasonable frame tight trying to grab it from the right. Therefore, the other option is to get it from the left side, but the skull raft goes onto a downwards slope giving you very little leeway with the jump you have to make. In fact, there's an npc right after the jump ends so if you didn't bring an item with you, you most likely git hit and die. Assuming, you do this jump, then you can get the dragon coin after spin jumping on a thwomp. However, it turns out there's an invisible moon right above the thowmp which just kills you sometimes if you're spin jumping. If they're invisible collectibles that are beneficial to you, DO NOT put them in a place that just kills you after hitting them. Assuming you do get the dragon coin, the skull raft below you despawns since it spends so much time off screen when you get it. Therefore the only way to reach this coin is to get a tanooki suit from outside this level and jump towards and immediately statue. THIS DRAGON COIN IS WHY?

Dragon Coin 3: This one would be fine if the skull raft from the previous area wasn't needed.

Dragon Coin 4: Before here, there's some lava that flies up and as a result some platforms that you need to platform on aren't visible. However, the room the section is designed really poorly. First off, there's a section that's set up for the character to slide, but if you do so, it just leads into a pit and there's time to react for it. After that there's a part between two projectile shell generators and the level is designed in a way such that your field of vision is towards the bottom of the screen. The issue is there's two thwomps resprited as icicles right above you and it's covered exactly by the middle blue item box of your hud, meaning most likely you'll always get hit here on a first playthrough. After this, there's the end of this section where 3 naked blue koopas shoot ice blocks you have to jump on. However, if you jump on the first two, you likely die and you have no knowledge of that before you attempt that section. Also if you jump on the first block, you somehow get hit on the second block. Then you can get the dragon coin. Needless to say, this section's design is just atrocious.

Dragon Coin 5: I think this dragon coin didn't function properly since there was a switch at the end of the level and after backtracking it was physically impossible to reach this one. The only way to actually reach this coin and get the star was to get all of the four coins previously and since there wasn't a good place for p-speed, it was only possible to get this one through tanooki statue clipping. As a result, I had to beat this entire level without taking damage and this level is not possible to complete in a vaccum.

Other: There's this one section where pipes shoot out iceballs and fireballs. Usually you want to generate clog one of them but if you jump off immediately, the generators are set in such a way that you instantly get hit, so you have to position yourself on the very sides of the pipes. Other than that, the fireballs go off screen and the iceballs fall back down. Due to this, a player might not notice the inconsistency which means after they see either one leave screen that might attempt to run right. The issue is since iceballs are still in the damage field because they fall back down. This actually killed me on my second last attempt.

Clearly whoever tested this didn't really do a good job as these are severely blatant issues that needed to be fixed. And this level is the epitome of why this episode is ruined by its 100% requirements. And also, discounting the 100% part of the episode while judging an episode's quality is not what I do since that basically removes half of the author's intent for this episode. And I swear, every single level that combines fire and ice I have ever played has never been good. At best, they've been okay. If the dragon coins weren't required for a star, you remove almost all of the issues of this level.

Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Epic Quest: Midpoint Review - Let's analyze atrocious level design 5-S]
I am lowering my rating a fifth of a point since it's one out of 90 levels but this level took like 45 minutes to beat.

Added in 2 hours 30 minutes 2 seconds:
Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Epic Quest: Midpoint Review - Let's analyze atrocious level design 5-S]
I just finished World 6 and had no issues with it, aside from the fact that there's no indications that tell where vines are. I think my rating of this as an episode to 100% would probably be a 5.2

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Neo Retro Super Mario Bros Playthrough - Hidden Gem]

Postby Eclipsed » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Review
Neo Retro Super Mario Bros is designed by one of the main devs of Yoshi's Archipelago and is a hidden gem of an episode. Unlike most SMB1 episode it doesn't fall into the pitfalls of only using SMB1 enemies of the episode and doing castle mazes. This episode can be thought of one giant level and as time progresses it gradually introduces concepts and then integrates them into later levels. It expands on the ideas that it has in a way that as time progresses each level feels like that it has a place in the episode. 2-3 has a nice uses of downwards moving platforms. Each level is around 20-30 seconds long.
7-4 is a nice twist on the standard SMB1 maze levels since in this level it's not really a maze, it's a puzzle that gives subtle indications where the right pipe is. For example in the midpoint room, there's two spikes oddly missing and as a result you can jump through it. Also, 8-4 in this episode legitimately feels like an nintendo postgame level that tests everything it has introduced in the episode such as levels like Champion's Road and Grandmaster galaxy.

That being said, let's view the other side of quality, it takes a few levels before the design starts ramping up and becoming pretty fun. Also, the difficulty curve in this episode is unnatural. It doesn't feel like a nice curve as it just suddenly spikes up in the world 6 castle rather than gradually building up. Another issue I had with this episode was that there were two blind jumps that were present in the entire episode (6-4 and a level in 8-1) that are just unfair on a first playthrough. There's also this jump that really shouldn't be there in the last cave area in 8-2. Also, it wasn't clearly indicated the thwomps you could stand on rather than just spin jumping on leading to the episode inadvertently being harder. Another thing I'd like to mention is that I feel like the episode should have just ended at 8-4 since it felt like a level with finality. Instead the last level felt rather lackluster since it was based on 9-7 on NSMBWii, had an SMB3 bowser boss and had this 5 hp boss that didn't feel super cool to play. Speaking of 8-4, I felt like the author could have created a fun platforming twist based on using smb1 bowser fire but that was a lost oppurtunity.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode and this is definitely one of the best two super mario bros 1 episodes I have played and I will be giving this a 7.1/10. My difficulty gauge says this is between intermediate and advanced difficulty for a player

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Saraslands Adventure Sequel Boss Rush And Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Sarasaland Adventure 2

Review
This episode has all of the problems of the first episode. The quality is virtually the same and how this entire episode is padded out. Also, the first 3 worlds are worse than the last 2. The last 2 worlds have ideas but don't really expand upon them. I give this episode a 3/10
Added in 3 hours 5 minutes 39 seconds:
Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Saraslands Adventure 2 Boss Rush And Review+New Forum Complete]
I have just finished all of the episodes on the smbx forums

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Super Mario Island
Chat Username: Hatsune Blake

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [1 More Episode Left]

Postby Hatsune Blake » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 pm
It's almost over, I only need to play 1 more episode and then im done all english smbx episodes that I could find.
Absolute mad lad. Congratulations on getting so close to finishing!
Check out my custom GFX pack!
The two logos below are made by FyreNova, the one true Nova.

Please check out my levels!
My up and coming project:

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [3 More Worlds]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 am

Hatsune Blake wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 am
Eclipsed wrote:
It's almost over, I only need to play 1 more episode and then im done all english smbx episodes that I could find.
Thanks, I'm never doing something like this ever again. It was fun finding hidden gems of episodes such as Neo Retro Super Mario Bros or Super RMN World
- 3 More Worlds to go

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Super Mario Island
Chat Username: Hatsune Blake

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [3 More Worlds]

Postby Hatsune Blake » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 am
Hatsune Blake wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 am
Eclipsed wrote:
Thanks, I'm never doing something like this ever again. It was fun finding hidden gems of episodes such as Neo Retro Super Mario Bros or Super RMN World
- 3 More Worlds to go
Three more worlds to go? Awesome!!

Anyways do you think I should try beating every SMBX episode as well? I'm interested in seeing a vast amount of different types of levels, as well as just giving myself hopefully fun stream / recording sessions.
Check out my custom GFX pack!
The two logos below are made by FyreNova, the one true Nova.

Please check out my levels!
My up and coming project:

Return to “General”