LunaLua vs Teascript: Pro and Con Explain

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

LunaLua vs Teascript: Pro and Con Explain

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:31 am

Here we will go over the Teascript and LunaLua and Comparison The feature, Pros an Cons.
LunaLua origininating in 1.3.0.2, while Teascript in 1.4 nothing other than that.

So lets compare, pro and con.

LunaLua:
+You can load images without them taking up editor slots.
+All command is unlocked from the Start
+Tons of Function
+Change Hardcorded GFX
+Increase Music Quality and Change SFX
+User Friendly
+Parallax Scrolling doesnt need BGO Slots.
+Very fun to use for Lua Experts.
-High Amount trashed Code Can Slow Down Low PC
+Creator can contact easily, And can speak in english, and is not as much of a jerk.
+Standalone Levels using it are Fun Playing.
-Some of documenation is out of date
?Script is in Single Files, no Magic Patcher Support.
Teascript:
+More things can be done inside the engine, not in third party programs
+If you know The VB6, it will be easy but lots of they dont use VB6 because it is outdated.
+All docs are included with program made by develloper (5438A38A) meaning they will never out of date and are more help than Community.
+Support Magic Patcher and Script Can Be in seperate file.
+GFX expansion is not only GFX, thanks to teascript it can also expand custom NPC AI, allowing 23003136 custom NPCs.
-HUD is only Hardcorded GFX that can be Changed, not else.
-Adding Extra line can sometimes break it.
- A Bit terrible to use
- Developer can only contact through QQ Messenger
- Less Stability on New Windows
- Crashes if certain bug is achived (like water bug)
-You need GFX slots to load images.
If i posted In wrong places, Please tell me.

Also tell me if I wronged somethings.
Last edited by bowserkoopa24 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 am, edited 19 times in total.

Core
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Trans <3 She/her

Re: LunaLua vs Teascript: Pro and Con Explain

Postby Core » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am

SnoruntPyro's tutorials are outdated, its even written in wohlsoft's wiki. They are not tricking people. Also Teascript really sucks compared to LunaLua, it lacks A LOT. Also what does 'joke' episode means?
Join NSMBX's official server! - https://discord.gg/RMYdYfX

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 am

bowserkoopa24 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:31 am
-Lua in Other Games users May run trouble in this Version as it difference a bit from Lua regular and in other Game (Roblox Lua, GTA Online, Regular Lua etc)
LunaLua IS lua, but with more stuff on top of it. Divergences from regular lua are out of necessity (Text.print accepts coordinates so that the text is visible onscreen, etc). There are no features from lua that lunalua inherently lacks.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
-You need to load APIs to do most things and even install some, using up more space storage.
In 38A you load libraries like the walljump library too, you just do it with a button press. And your magic patcher utility also saves new code in your file.
When it comes down to it, space storage is always the same regardless of version you use. The difference between lunalua and teascript-vbs in this regard is only that lunalua libraries can be copypasted between levels without the need for any patcher utility.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
-Only used the Big potential in single level and joke episodes
This is less blamable on the language itself but more on the people using it.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
This is true and we're working on an improvement! Sorry for the inconvenience.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
-Reducts Performance on Low PC
Only if the code is bad. I've written code in lunalua that's heavily visually fancy and runs perfectly on low performance laptops before. It's all a matter of optimisation.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
-Script must be in Single Files, no Magic Patcher Support.
Addressed earlier, but this is a plus rather than a minus. Makes it so lua code isn't strictly tied to level and makes it easier to organise your code depending on what function it serves.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
-SnoruntPyro tutorials (some of most viewed the videos) are all broken by now and trick people.
I can ask her to take them down if they're causing that much trouble. There are text tutorials on the wiki that are fine enough.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
+No need to load + descargar API
In teascript you still load stuff but instead of in form of a library it's the code you magic-patch into your level. The result is actually a larger used filesize due to how much code needs to be copypasted if you want the same script to apply to an entire episode.
bowserkoopa24 wrote:
+If you know other version of Teascript or The VB6, will have no troubles here.
teascript-vbs is a language designed by 38A himself. It's in no way comparable to Javascript-teascript or other languages, and is heavily lacking in common language features, with essential tools like array support locked behind a puzzle-wall.
The ABC of Creation

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:09 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 am
really causing that much trouble
I have seen lots of comment complaining about it not working, like this...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 am

bowserkoopa24 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:09 am
Enjl wrote:
really causing that much trouble
I have seen lots of comment complaining about it not working, like this...

The stuff in the tutorials works. These people are either not doing it right or willingly trying to spread hate. If you're relying on someone calling themselves "The Insane Extremist" for your facts, I'd double-check your sources.
The ABC of Creation

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:19 am

Enjl wrote:
Better to have in single script file
You can do both in 38A. But they often choose seperate file as say they have Better Organisation.

Added in 22 seconds:
I updated the topic with more usefful info.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 am

This post is full of huge amounts of misinformation. Pretty much all the negatives you've written about LunaLua are either totally false or actually positives, and a lot of the supposed "benefits" of Teascript aren't actually benefits. Pretty much everyone who knows what they're talking about agrees that LunaLua is by far the better scripting system in every way. That's not up for debate.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:29 am

Yeah even I agree with Hoeloe's statement as I have reached a lot of the limits of what teascript can do and Luna lua has already surpassed these limits and even more.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:46 am

A lot of these pros and cons seem to be about the people that use these languages rather than the languages themselves.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 am

I was also trying to include benefits of the documentation and community, not just language, but the LunaLua is better.
Anyway, i update it again.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am

This is true, but we have an entire support Discord server where people can ask for help on issues that aren't covered in the documentation.
-Script must be in Single Files, no Magic Patcher Support.
This is a positive thing. Scripts can be split into libraries if necessary, but having a single entry point is actually a positive, as it makes things less ambiguous and easier to organise.
-SnoruntPyro tutorials (some of most viewed the videos) are outdated and only working on Older Scripts.
As has been mentioned, the scripts do work still, but they are updated. This again has nothing to do with the language.
-URL redirection can abused to Malwares
This is false. There are protections in place to prevent this.
-Old OpenGL
This is a good thing. By supporting an older version of the OpenGL standard, we ensure older computers can actually run the software. It doesn't mean anything is worse, it just means more things can run it.
-Can sometimes crash SMBX, even if it is not used.
This is false. These are bugs in the base engine (some of which is written using LunaLua), not the script itself. These are just bugs, and have nothing to do with LunaLua itself.

Now for the Teascript ones:
+No need to load + descargar API
This is a bad thing. It means code will have to be copy and pasted a lot of times, and that issues with that code cannot be easily fixed, as it exists in multiple places.
+If you know The VB6, will have no troubles here.
While this may be true, VB6 has been a dead, unsupported language for longer than SMBX has existed. Most people will not know VB6, and should not be encouraged to learn it. And besides, LunaLua is just an extension of Lua - if you know Lua, learning the LunaLua API is really easy.
+Runs Bit Faster
Teascript-vb is substantially slower than LunaLua. This point is just straight up false.
+All docs are included with program made by develloper (5438A38A) meaning they will never out of date and are more help than Community.
The Teascript docs are fragments and huge chunks are missing. At least with LunaLua, you can talk to the developers directly via the Codehaus Discord.
+Support Magic Patcher and Script Can Be in seperate file.
Scripts can be separated in LunaLua by putting them into libraries. That's the entire point.
+Can change how every GFX expansion of NPC acts, adding the possible of 23003136 Custom NPCs.
This has nothing to do with Teascript-vb. It's a feature of 38A, and while it is nice, won't be a benefit over SMBX2 in future versions, as you'll be able to add custom NPCs.

Please stop this now. You're grossly misinformed, and it's only helping to spread misinformation the more you try to "fix" it.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

This is true, but we have an entire support Discord server where people can ask for help on issues that aren't covered in the documentation.
Hey hoeloe, about the documentation, what about people who don't have access to codehaus, is it fair to let them have less/outdated knowledge on stuff?

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:06 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am
Hey hoeloe, about the documentation, what about people who don't have access to codehaus, is it fair to let them have less/outdated knowledge on stuff?
We will be getting better documentation with future versions. There are plenty of people who can help with issues outside Codehaus, such as on these forums.

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:26 am

Wait, LunaLua has scanning URL redirection of lua virus?

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:33 am

bowserkoopa24 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:26 am
Wait, LunaLua has scanning URL redirection of lua virus?
What Lua virus? LunaLua cannot access resources from outside the SMBX installation, by design, to avoid people maliciously modifying computers or downloading malware using it.

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:43 am

Ah, sorry. I heard some announce on a unnofical French-speaking SMBX Forums, they told us about malicious redirect found in fake Beta 4 version.
I have rewritten the topics, many of the things i did not have the great knowledge were removed.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:50 am

bowserkoopa24 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:43 am
Ah, sorry. I heard some announce on a unnofical French-speaking SMBX Forums, they told us about malicious redirect found in fake Beta 4 version.
I have rewritten the topics, many of the things i did not have the great knowledge were removed.
That's not quite accurate. An incomplete version of Beta 4 was leaked, but it doesn't contain anything malicious. It's just unstable and buggy due to being an in-development build.

There's been a lot of misinformation about SMBX2 floating around recently, and I'd appreciate it if people would take the time to learn the facts before spreading it.

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 am

I am aware of a fake 2018 version, but they said there is a new version that has malware when you save in PGE or complete a level...

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 pm

I have not heard of that, and I doubt it exists. But if it does, that's nothing to do with LunaLua or SMBX2 itself, but is a fake version of the program, and is one of the many reasons we encourage people to only download from http://codehaus.moe.

As I said though, I doubt that actually exists, since it would be incredibly hard to actually make (it'd need a lot of ASM hacking to do). It sounds like someone trying to spread rumours to scare people away from using SMBX2.

bowserkoopa24
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby bowserkoopa24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm

how would they scare them if it is a fake version?

Return to “General”