Dragon Coins

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Dragon Coins

Postby Radiance » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:33 pm

So how do you actually use Dragon Coins in your levels?

I use Dragon Coins in my levels to add extra difficulty. I sometimes put the Dragon Coins on dangerous places or after finishing a certain challenge, advanced techniques on the gimmick introduced in my levels.

Since collecting Dragon Coins is optional, it doesn't require the beginners to do advanced techniques/platforming to finish the game.

Idk if 1UP is enough as a reward for collecting all the Dragon Coins tho

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Re: Dragon Coins

Postby Eri7 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:59 pm

In my project, dragon coins are the main currency of the game used to buy power ups/items and different services by different side characters,
Dragon coins are a big part of my levels and every one of them has a purpose and a challenge.
Some of my dragon coins end up being in a special collectables room where there is a unique gimmick present that is tied to my new gameplay's concept abilities by introducing a small neat interaction and it can carry on to other collectables rooms.

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:26 am

I'm using Bro Coins as the trigger for the level star to appear at the end. All coins, Bro Coins and the Star count towards the total completion of the game. And getting stars will grant the player access to more levels and secrets.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 am

Elaborate gummy points that are worth nothing which the player can obtain if they go out of their way a little.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: bruh

Postby Saltlord » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 am

I really like the idea of Dragon Coins, seeing how they can be used akin to the "KONG" letters in Donkey Kong Country, as a reward for clearing difficult platforming sections. I don't really like using the "vanilla" dragon coins though, most people don't care about the one extra live they get from collecting the coins without dying. There needs to be some other incentive for the player to go out of their way in order to collect these things, like a star, for example.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 pm

I appreciate anyone adding dragon / ace coins. extra 15,000 score
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Bomb Kicker DX
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Bomb Kicker DX » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 pm
What's the point of having score? since it always reset when you reopen an episode/level

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:32 pm

Bomb Kicker DX wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:28 pm
Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 pm
What's the point of having score? since it always reset when you reopen an episode/level

wish it had not been like this from the beginning, so I'm using a .txt file to add and manage all scores

besides it's still fun to do a large score in one larger run (up to a million sometimes)
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

1di_Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Postby 1di_Scroll » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:30 am

In my project Rosalina's Satellite, I have some bonus levels called "planets", in which you can get a live by collecting the dragon coins on them.

Return to “General”