Welcome to a contest that we wanted to host and judge for a while: a Vanilla contest using the PAL build, which can be downloaded here.
The new build of SMBX2 has brought hundreds of new playthings to design your levels around, and with the MaGLX3 judging taking place right now, we wanted to be able to focus on the new stuff specifically.
The gimmick of this contest will, as you may have already noticed, be Vanilla Design.
We aren't THAT mean, as we will allow custom music, but you are not allowed to have any custom graphics, NPC configs or use LunaLua!
How to submit:
Post a zip file of your level and music in the submissions thread. I will collect and distribute them among the judges
- Vanilla means no custom graphics, npcs, etc. In other words, you will only submit a .lvlx file + music. Otherwise, you will be refused.
- Use either the SMBX 1.3/126.96.36.199 build or preferably SMBX2 PAL, a preview build of Beta 4. The levels will be judged in the latter. Submissions made in the Beta 3 or MaGLX3 build will be accepted, but compatibility issues might arise. Levels made in SMBX38A (aka 1.4.4/1.4.5) won't be accepted.
- Try to avoid using .wav files for the custom music and try to use .mp3 .ogg or .spc
- Submit a text file if notes regarding the level are deemed necessary. (including how many stars your level has)
- Joke/troll/kaizo levels are allowed but may not be judged highly, depending on their design.
- Your level must end in an SMB3 star exit. At maximum, you are allowed 3 stars in total.
- You may not use lua at all
- Teams up to 2 people are allowed
- You may not use global switches: These are the switches that have card symbols on them
- Design: 50 points - How well you have designed the level and how fun the gameplay is.
- Creativity: 30 Points - How creative your level design is.
- Aesthetics: 20 Points - How the level looks/feels and how its setting synergizes with the level design
After the submission period, the levels will be judged in an indeterminate time period, followed by the results being revealed.
- Special Thanks to Cedur for compiling a list of new features in the latest version