Is SMBX a "Kids" game?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
cato
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Is SMBX a "Kids" game?

Postby cato » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:34 am

If you have heard, the FTC and coppa are enforcing their laws in supervising the internet to protect kids. As far as I know, they have fined 40000 US dollars at most to a person who violates their law. Youtubers are fear that they will fall victim in regard to their content making would violate their laws. No matter you checked whether those videos are for kids, they are still going check most of it, like China.

My biggest concern is the guidelines of those laws. They are so vague that you sort of can't argue when you were caught. For example, content like "fun", "colour", "gaming" are included as they are intended in targetting kids. Words like "whatever", "duh", "fun" also raises a red flag.

For what I know, Mario is kind of a "kids" character. Even though Nintendo's game releases are "for everyone", the people hired at FTC/ coppa will think that that is for kids, thus would try to censor content related.

The question being is SMBX or even any other Nintendo games are a "kids" game, or would they/ related content be censored on the Internet?
SMBX users that are under 13, what do you think about this?

Edit: I made mistake, that should be SMBX content creators making Youtube videos like Bossedit8, Ecliped, Dr Mekar, etc.
Last edited by cato on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Too many things atm! Welp! :(
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: Is SMBX a "Kids" game?

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 am

Well, it depends on the SMBX episode made by the community

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:34 am

That's not what COPPA is. COPPA literally means "you cannot collect data about children under 13", it has absolutely nothing to do with censoring content. The issue specifically with YouTube is that YouTube collects data on all of its users. It has got away with this so far by stating that you need to be 13 or older to create a YouTube account, but the FTC took a look at YouTube and noted that a lot of the content is specifically targeting children (and YouTube's algorithms have been promoting and encouraging such content for a while now), and basically said "seems like a lie", and fined YouTube. They then decided to update COPPA to try and prevent this from happening again, except the changes they propose are totally unrealistic and unenforceable (effectively requiring any content on YouTube that might look as though it targets children to be marked as such, and thus preventing YouTube from collecting data about that video, including preventing comments and advertisements - this involves up to a 90% drop in revenue for that video, and it also hides it from all searches, which is why creators are concerned).

SMBX itself collects no data about users, and so is completely unaffected by changes to COPPA. This forum, though, requires an e-mail address, and thus does fall under COPPA's remit. However, it's a small community, and you don't need an account here to use SMBX. Because of that, it's probably safe.

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 am

If people were to make SMBX videos on YouTube, like Eclipsed's speedruns and bossedit8's playthroughs, could those potentially be affected by COPPA?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Dragon0307
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Linux PCs!
Current Project: Something for Beta 4

Postby Dragon0307 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 am

The moral guardians are insane these days. This is a website in some forgotten corner of the internet that is a battleground between fans and lawyers, and is likely unbeknownst to the moral guardians. COPPA wise, SMBX's website has two trackers according to my Privacy Badger - Google Analytics (Something that people use to see who goes on their websites) and Imgur.
MegaDood wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 am
If people were to make SMBX videos on YouTube, like Eclipsed's speedruns and bossedit8's playthroughs, could those potentially be affected by COPPA?
Yes, because they are on YouTube and we all know what Google is like, but Nintendo wants to blow these videos up to get people to play Mario Maker, so these videos probably won't last long.
No evil kumqats can get my siggy

chriserlarreglo2005
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: This is a user. Problem?
Chat Username: chriserlarreglo2005

Postby chriserlarreglo2005 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 am
Yes, because they are on YouTube and we all know what Google is like, but Nintendo wants to blow these videos up to get people to play Mario Maker, so these videos probably won't last long.
Mario Maker? For the Nintendo Switch?
chriserlarreglo2005's Mind wrote:This is my signature and this is what I support:
Quotes: show
“Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.”
― Augustine of Hippo, Confessions

“The reality of loving God is loving him like he's a Superhero who actually saved you from stuff rather than a Santa Claus who merely gave you some stuff.”
― Criss Jami, Killosophy

da_noob8playsMARIOX
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: i like mario games so much i got a nes
Chat Username: da_marionoob

Postby da_noob8playsMARIOX » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:46 am

i, as a smbx user under 13, think that smbx is a kid game. it's mario.

Added in 22 seconds:

stageleft
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Postby stageleft » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 am

It is a fun kids game that all ages can enjoy and even adult like puzzle games have been made with SMBX.

skyhighway
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: hey i guess
Current Project: secret project; will reveal soon
Chat Username: FyreNova

Postby skyhighway » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 am

da_noob8playsMARIOX wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 am

Added in 22 seconds:
you, as an smbx user under 13, don't yet realize that there are several people of older audiences that still enjoy mario.
I do not care about who you believe in.
MEMES: show
mariosonicgamer55677 wrote:But man is this a cursed image.
Quill wrote:Bowser was laughing because he had an AK-47 and Luigi didn't.
Scroll wrote:Ice blocks in a desert.
Nice going, dude
Knux wrote: I imagine that the theme for hell is just smb3 sky over and over again
TYPOS: show
PixelPest wrote:Anything posted in the Graphics forum is free for use. It's nice to give credit though where it's do

Wiimeiser
Rex
Rex
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:12 pm

It appears the rollout has happened, but it seems only stuff like My Little Pony is affected for now.

mcnakahr
Goomba
Goomba

Postby mcnakahr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Mario is a general audience game franchise. Many people play from all walks of life. To clarify the COPPA thing here are two videos from KreekKraft, YouTuber who plays Roblox, that covers a lot of concerns. The basic take away is context. If your video is contextually for anyone under 13 (example has nursery rhymes, early education, could be on Nick JR, etc.) then your video is "made for kids" in the eyes of the Federal Trade Commission. The Mario franchise has a few flop games that fit that criteria. I doubt anyone is going to make a "Mario Teaches Typing" or "Mario's Early Years Preschool Fun" levels or episodes in SMBX any time soon. So I'd say SMBX is safe. Again the presentation of the material is key. There are videos of the two games mentioned on YouTube and they haven't been auto labeled as "made for kids" because of the way they are presented.

KreekCraft gives information about his meeting with one of the directors at the FTC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5O5GeVjm4&t=0s

KreekCraft gives information of YouTube finally clarifying the "not for kids" = "general audience 13+"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agK11nHb2-E&t=0s
Last edited by mcnakahr on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerless Penguin
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: gee it sure is Booooring around here.
Current Project: Super Mario And The 10 Golden Elements
Chat Username: Hammerless penguin

Postby Hammerless Penguin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:59 am

mcnakahr wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 pm
Mario is a general audience game franchise. Many people play from all walks of life. To clarify the COPPA thing here are two videos from KreekKraft, YouTuber who plays Roblox, that covers a lot of concerns. The basic take away is context. If your video is contextually for anyone under 13 (example has nursery rhymes, early education, could be on Nick JR, etc.) then your video is "made for kids" in the eyes of the Federal Trade Commission. The Mario franchise has a few flop games that fit that criteria. I doubt anyone is going to make a "Mario Teaches Typing" or "Mario's Early Years Preschool Fun" levels or episodes in SMBX any time soon. So I'd say SMBX is safe. Again the presentation of the material is key. There are videos of the two games mentioned on YouTube and they haven't been auto labeled as "made for kids" because of the way they are presented.

KreekKraft gives information about his meeting with one of the directors at the FTC:

KreekKraft gives information of YouTube finally clarifying the "not for kids" = "general audience 13+"
The main problem is that bots are automatically setting the audience for videos. And smbx has been effected. So far a smbx youtuber named rodrigo0 Official got some of his videos marked "for kids" so mario videos are getting effected. But this isnt just happening to general audience stuff. A video of Dont hug me im scared has been listed as for kids as well and that's not even a show kids should be watching, Hell even things that aren't even for kids in general has been caught. The filtering system is broken and its youtube's fault for being incompetent and not giving a general audience option or even giving an even more simple solution like automatically restricting accounts that are under the age of 13. Youtube is trying to solve this problem in the worst way possible.
Check out this big neat project coming soon to smbx2 beta4!

Switch FC: SW-8458-1591-5797

mcnakahr
Goomba
Goomba

Postby mcnakahr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Okay I checked out those two channels and here is what I found, rodrigo0's video has no commentary of any kind and yes kids under 13 would watch because of the fact to a child that's a funny animation. I strongly believe if that video were remade with at least audio commentary then it wouldn't be labeled as such. As for Don't Hug Me I'm Scared's videos... according to the FTC anything with bright colors or animated isn't necessarily made for kids but puppets aren't included in that assessment. Honestly the use of puppets in those videos, given the theme, is something a child could accidentally watch and be traumatized by. When kids under 13 see puppets something like a kids show should be the theme not the mildly disturbing content Don't Hug Me I'm Scared's videos have. Btw I have two videos so far that haven't been affected. A lot of other Mario related videos are not being hit because it isn't presented in a way that children would be attracted too, ex. no commentary gameplay or puppet usage. YouTube is solving this problem the way the FTC wants them to. ALSO the Not for Kids option IS General Audience is legal language. According to the FTC and YT it stands for general audience as the only general audience that should be on yt anyway is 13 and over. The two videos I shared initially explain all that and even that we do have general audience option it's just not in plain politically correct English as it seems people are demanding

Edit: What I shared initially isn't click bait at all, it's evidence to support my opinion on this issue.

KreekCraft gives information about his meeting with one of the directors at the FTC:

KreekCraft gives information of YouTube finally clarifying the "not for kids" = "general audience 13+"

You are right though the bot is making mistakes, however you have to see this from a legal side too. Sometimes the law doesn't make sense at first and honestly I think instead of a bot they should hire more human reviewers to do what the bot is doing or help it learn what is and isn't considered made for kids since Don't Hug Me I'm Scared's videos are not made for kids but contain puppets... yet just like animation some puppet stuff isn't for kids... the bot can't handle gray areas (use common sense) so I agree the bot is an issue yet I believe, in my opinion, you are over generalizing this without seeing the evidence.
Edit 2: The two videos are not loading correctly at least on my end. If for whatever reason they are showing and error and no thumbnail please click the links below:
Link to KreekCraft gives information about his meeting with one of the directors at the FTC video:
Link to KreekCraft gives information of YouTube finally clarifying the "not for kids" = "general audience 13+"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agK11nHb2-E&t=0s Thank you and I hope those two videos help clear things up.
Last edited by mcnakahr on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wiimeiser
Rex
Rex
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 pm

mariosonicgamer55677 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:59 am
mcnakahr wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 pm

KreekKraft gives information about his meeting with one of the directors at the FTC:

KreekKraft gives information of YouTube finally clarifying the "not for kids" = "general audience 13+"
The main problem is that bots are automatically setting the audience for videos. And smbx has been effected. So far a smbx youtuber named rodrigo0 Official got some of his videos marked "for kids" so mario videos are getting effected. But this isnt just happening to general audience stuff. A video of Dont hug me im scared has been listed as for kids as well and that's not even a show kids should be watching, Hell even things that aren't even for kids in general has been caught. The filtering system is broken and its youtube's fault for being incompetent and not giving a general audience option or even giving an even more simple solution like automatically restricting accounts that are under the age of 13. Youtube is trying to solve this problem in the worst way possible.
For DHMIS it looks like something kids would click on, so they will click on it and immediately have their data recorded, which is grounds for an even bigger fine from the FTC.

SBells27
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Súper Mario 100 II has been released!
Current Project: Super Mario 100 II
Chat Username: SBells27

Postby SBells27 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:08 pm

From my experience at least, the biggest damage that I saw happening on YouTube related to the COPPA problem right now was that a lot of the videos that are animated (not animation reviews, more the medium itself) had the comments disabled, probably because the videos were forced to be set on to "for kids". But I haven't seen any active creator have this problem yet, so I don't think it will affect SMBX youtubers like bossedit8 and Eclipsed at the moment and possibly in the future yet. Even if the videos gets affected, the videos can be uploaded in another website or engine since the SMBX community is not all that big, so it wouldn't be much of a problem. I'd say to not worry right now, especially considering COPPA seems to only be affecting YouTube at the moment.
Join my Discord Server: https://discord.gg/xjbqCCj (General, smbx-related and my SM100 series disccussion)
Latest Bells's Episode: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 36&t=25034

mcnakahr
Goomba
Goomba

Postby mcnakahr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:27 am

I know a YouTuber by the name of jediwarriormike, also a close friend of mine, that has 188 videos with nothing but Mario animations using Mario 64 assets and none of his are auto set to made for kids... can you give examples of animators that got affected? Also animators LevelUP and Pixelcraftian haven;t been affected either. So I'm unclear about what you are saying by animation channel's are being hit. I do think it will affect most gaming videos that have no commentary.

Edit: Not trying to be brash here but is anyone watching the two videos I've posted twice now that has evidence that shows what will and what will not be labeled as made for kids?
I feel as if the evidence I'm trying to share about this matter is getting ignored.

Here it is again, I'm not making any of this up nor is this click bait I'm trying to educate people here:
Regarding KreekCraft's meeting with a FTC director (how all animation isn't targeted, how gaming is a case by case gray area, etc.):
Regarding YouTube's Offical response to the no general audience option complaint (spoiler: Not for Kids = General Audience 13+)

I really hope some will watch those videos and be enlightened by this news.

SparrowWithASword
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby SparrowWithASword » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:56 am

As long as the episode/level itself does not have any inappropiate content, sure, which seems to always be the case.

Like someone already pointed out, we are more likely to get copystriked rather than fined for not complying with COPPA, since this site does not collect data on it's users.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 am

https://youtu.be/RR-qNkuCmvY

Also if a trainwreck does (or already has) happen on YouTube, then it will be from the AI rather than the COPPA regulations themselves.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Return to “General”