Your opinions on joke levels.

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Troopa Koopa321
Banned
Flair: egg
Current Project: TBA Yoshi centered episode.
Chat Username: Troopa koopa 321

Your opinions on joke levels.

Postby Troopa Koopa321 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 am

I’ve seen people on the forums that actually like joke levels,I’ve seen some that are mixed,aaand I’ve seen some that absolutely despises joke levels with a passion. C̶o̶u̶g̶h̶...c̶o̶u̶g̶h̶....d̶r̶a̶g̶o̶n̶f̶a̶n̶9̶4̶....

What’s your opinion on them? Personally I think they can be fun and hilarious at times. They can provide a surreal,funny or maybe even a scary experience. I’ve been hearing that sometimes they are restricted,other times they aren’t. Honestly I think people should make whatever they want. Smbx is all about your creative freedom imo.
No matter where u go I am watching you.

Interesting projects.

cato
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Re: Your opinions on joke levels.

Postby cato » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:10 am

Joke level is good if the players enjoy it and are having fun.

Most good joke levels are comedy or dedicated to different people.
Take an example of good troll levels in Mario Maker 2, people find themselves enjoy being killed in hilarious ways, such as anti-softlock with N64 theme, or players played themselves, which sent them back to checkpoint 1. Despite the level having a joking motive, most levels like that are entertaining to play.

Most bad joke levels are random blocks placement/NPC spam/glitchy mechanic or just poor level design that makes people hate joke levels.
However, taking another example of bad joke levels in SMBX community contest, most of them are just plain levels or the creators being meme lords while making those levels. These levels are not enjoyable to play, for either the level can be completed in seconds, or the players have to die, then finish the levels through trial and error.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 am

There's obviously a difference between absolutely foolish levels, troll levels (which are not worth playing at all if it's just cheap torture and impossible stuff) and well-done hilarious joke levels (the latter being obviously rare). Even then, things like Betterified are not everybody's case (xd).

In a contest episode, joke levels are usually a nuisance, which is why they've been banned.
TroopaKoopa321 wrote:Honestly I think people should make whatever they want. Smbx is all about your creative freedom imo.

There's always a difference between freedom and nonsense. There are things you can't really call "creative".
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

stageleft
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Postby stageleft » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 pm

Super Troller Bros is really tough but also super hilarious. Especially the first world. Imo joke levels are great and underused. As Cedur said though the good ones are rare.
My first episode started as a joke episode but the humor was not well received so it eventually became a serious 3 year project.
It was disappointing that many of the users who originally offered criticism did not follow up with feedback after the changes.
Theres still elements of humor in it but doubtful everyone will get the jokes.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:06 pm

I like them when they are well done
They can be funny and hilarious, unless they use the concept of "troll" levels to make bad quality levels with random stuff around (spam) and that

A good example of a well done joke level is that one where the NPCs drank too much coffee and everything was faster

My project:

SuperSmashbroFanX
Banned
Chat Username: thesmashbro.

Postby SuperSmashbroFanX » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm

I haven’t played a joke level before WHICH one should I PLAY?
THESE EPISODES LOOKS AWESOME!!! I SUPPORT THEM :)

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:02 am

SuperSmashbroFanX wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm
I haven’t played a joke level before WHICH one should I PLAY?

I'd advise to not seek for one just for the mere sake of it?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Return to “General”