How you got into SMBX?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

How you got into SMBX?

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:35 am

So, as we know, everyone here is into SMBX. But the question is, how? This is my story of how I got into SMBX:

Well, before SMBX, I started my level-editing career in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2. Or, more specifically, the Mission Builder, back when I was 9. I amused myself and my brother with it and we learned how to make our own CFS2 missions together. However, two years later, I just so happened to discover GameNinja.com when playing Heat Rush, and discover it had a section dedicated to Mario games! This was where I found Super Mario Flash, which had a level editor. However, upon accidentally discovering supermariobrothers.org when searching for some flash Super Mario games when I was 12 was what got me into SMBX. I found the SMBX 1.1.2 link at the top and I eagerly clicked it, seeing it had a level editor. Back then, I really enjoyed making my own levels, as my creativity was so vast. However, I couldn't figure out how to fully use the editor until I got SMBX 1.2. In effect, it was CFS2 that set the scene for my SMBX life.

How did you guys here in the community end up getting into SMBX?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Beyond
Pokey
Pokey

Re: How you got into SMBX?

Postby Beyond » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:24 am

During a search in the Google. I discovered the "supermariobrothersx.org" site. It's probably the best search I ever have made.
I'm back to the SMBX, HOORAY!
Doing some progress in WIP levels and trying to learn more about LunaLua stuff... =3

ImageImageImageImage

Keddy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Keddy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 am

To clarify, It was 3 years ago, I wanted to play games that required no internet connection, since my internet was pretty bad back then. I went to my local library down the street to do things like homework and such. I was getting a few gaming apps and came across SMBX, it was relatively small in file size so I downloaded it and went home. To confirm, I went home, installed it, flipped out, played it, made a few crap levels, showed everybody, and that's the story.
If my grammar ever seems bad, that's because me vale bien y bonito! :v
nya: show

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:14 am

Making this as short as possible, I hacked SMW first; discovered SMBX on Youtube somehow, probably because of a related video of the video I was watching; played with SMBX A LITTLE bit as I was still into SMW hacking; eventually tried using SMBX especially since I started losing interest in SMW hacking; started using SMBX more while losing motivation for SMW hacking more at the same time; quit SMW hacking and started using SMBX full time.

Septentrion Pleiades
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:06 am

reghrhre wrote:Making this as short as possible, I hacked SMW first; discovered SMBX on Youtube somehow, probably because of a related video of the video I was watching; played with SMBX A LITTLE bit as I was still into SMW hacking; eventually tried using SMBX especially since I started losing interest in SMW hacking; started using SMBX more while losing motivation for SMW hacking more at the same time; quit SMW hacking and started using SMBX full time.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who came from SMW hacking, although I'm probably more recent. SMW sort of stop making impressive leap and bounds, and so much hasn't been tried in SMBX. Plus SMBX is being hack so more things are possible.

Navi
Ninji
Ninji

Postby Navi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:23 am

I will post the REAL story of mine.(rlly)
I found some game called Super Mario flash which had graphics of SMB1 and SMW. Then i found super mario flash 2.(had graphics of smw only(had that real torpedo launchers))
Then i was bored of that crappy gameplay (no spinjumps) so I went to youtube(made many youtube channels) found smw hacks then SMBX. So i downloaded it and i really liked that gameplay. Then i found the closed NSMBX forums (i did not know it was closed)then Cloud's forum (the forum that merged with nsmbx forums) then revived (i'm mostly online there). Then found knux forums.
THE END
Hello~ I'm previously known as Alex48, or by crunch40 for very old people.

Memorabilia:
Spoiler: show
<Legend-tony980> And I'm sexually impure.
== broadband was kicked from #teatime by Gohan [eww broadband]
"I don't have time for this, sorry" ~ Joey 2015
<reghrhre> close, ronald garcia

Crusher: kedy (the adjective) means rude or mean
kedy (the verb) means to ban/kick/kickban
kedy (the noun) means bad leader

now, see you in 3 years when im finally unbanned
xD

[Friday, May 01, 2015 6:12 PM] Crusher169: Kedy-kun-kawaii-desu-san-chan-sensai-senpai
Good morning/afternoon/noon/evening/night/midnight/dawn to everyone!
Supporting:
bossedit8's project:
Touhou Mario 2
OPEN SESAME:

Septentrion Pleiades
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:30 am

Luigifan400 wrote:Then found knux forums.
THE END
No, that is only the beginning. Do not fear the darkness, for it is just the lack of light. Fear the vacuum, for it is the lack of air.

Navi
Ninji
Ninji

Postby Navi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 am

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Luigifan400 wrote:Then found knux forums.
THE END
No, that is only the beginning. Do not fear the darkness, for it is just the lack of light. Fear the vacuum, for it is the lack of air.
What?
Hello~ I'm previously known as Alex48, or by crunch40 for very old people.

Memorabilia:
<Legend-tony980> And I'm sexually impure.
== broadband was kicked from #teatime by Gohan [eww broadband]
"I don't have time for this, sorry" ~ Joey 2015
<reghrhre> close, ronald garcia

Crusher: kedy (the adjective) means rude or mean
kedy (the verb) means to ban/kick/kickban
kedy (the noun) means bad leader

now, see you in 3 years when im finally unbanned
xD

[Friday, May 01, 2015 6:12 PM] Crusher169: Kedy-kun-kawaii-desu-san-chan-sensai-senpai
Good morning/afternoon/noon/evening/night/midnight/dawn to everyone!
Supporting:
bossedit8's project:
Touhou Mario 2
OPEN SESAME:

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Eh searched for level editors and stuff on 2010(I lied to you all) but never joined any forum and just maked the boss series.
Had a long break from it then until 2012 then got back into making the boss series.
2013 joined my first smbx forum which was revived and blabla.
2013 end joined this forum cause i always wanted to know how it feels in here with the normal layout and stuff
2014 started hacking nsmbwii now.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:06 pm

It was back in the summer of 2011. I was 11 that day I looked for Mario games on the Internet because I had played most of them. So I searched up Super Mario Bros on Google and the strangest thing came up. Super Mario Bros X. I had no idea what it was so I checked it out at YouTube and watched a trailer and looked just awesome. I downloaded it right away and tried it out, and I have to say it was best Mario engine I have ever tried out. And that's my friend how I got into SMBX.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

FutureNyanCat2014
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby FutureNyanCat2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 am

It was 2010. I was bored of playing Club Penguin after a few months. While searching on the Internet, I stumbled across a website called "supermariobrothers.org". I eagerly clicked it. And yes, so many Mario flash games! I started to play one of them, which was Super Mario 63. After completing Super Mario 63 and playing around with its level editor, I looked for more Mario games, and I saw SMBX. Yes, it's Super Mario Bros. X. Since the description says it has a fun level editor that I can start playing with, I downloaded the game in time.

During the time I was playing SMBX, I found the original SMBX Forums. I don't know how to even register there, so I browsed for levels and graphics as a guest. I keep on updating the game regularly with regular updates. I downloaded the Water Beta (1.2 Beta 4), but somehow I was still bored of the Water Beta, so I went back to Beta 3. Suddenly, I lost motivation into playing SMBX, and so I stopped playing it.

Few years later, I forgot about SMBX, and decided that I'll play SMBX again. I went across a SMBX forum (I can't remember its name) and I found "Secret of the Dry Guys" by as303298. It was a really exciting episode for me to play, so I decided to download it! I was so happy when the download was complete, so I decided to play it with 1.2 Beta 3. Suddenly, I encountered a RUNTIME ERROR! Arghh! A runtime error! I panicked in time as I went back to supermariobrothers.org, and I found out that SMBX was updated! It was at 1.3, at last! I downloaded the installer and started to install the game! Yes! Finally! However, I left out Secret of the Dry Guys and only made a new episode with graphics from the CGFX Pack that I also placed.

The episode that I'm working on was lost. On December 2011, I joined the Knux forums, however on 2012, I realized that my account was still there (I left it behind, yikes!), so I logged in and posted an introduction. Suddenly, I left to join the Minecraft Forums. When I'm back at the Knux Forums, I posted my very first project in 2013, which was Toad Goes to Outer Space! My first episode ever. It uses lots of graphics from various CGFX Packs. I kept working on it in 2014 with the new CGFX Pack that was compiled by Squishy Rex. Plus, the first level I posted was Rocky Cave, which was a SMW styled level.

And so, I continued playing SMBX, and had the motivation to work on my project. And that's how I discovered SMBX!
ImageImageImageImage
Forum: http://futurenyancat2002.prophpbb.com/
"F*ck you Einstein! Let's make a level with water + lava!" ~FutureNyanCat2014, 05/05/14
FutureNyanCat2002: Big Fan of Valtteri Since 2013

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 am

My story.

At first in 2007 I thought of an Mario game where you can edit your own level. I searched through the internet until I found a game that is called "Super Mario Flash". I was happy for the level editor.

At 2007-2008 I looked on specific websites until I found another editor that is called "Mario Builder v4", the latest version of this game (now this game is keep updating) and here I was more happier because you can actually make an overworld map too.

The time of 2009-2010 (2011?) where SMBX has occured I want to really know if you can make some levels by it. After I checked multiple websites there is a SMBX that has a download button. I downloaded it and I already can say this editing software is perfect for me to make some awesome platforming games. Well, that is my wish: Making my own game/levels about platforming.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Years ago, I used to play a lovely game by the name of Mario Flash on whogivesafuck.com. when I moved over to a new CPU I lost all my hot-bar links and lost the link to this game. So in my efforts I tried my best to look it up, and came across SMBX by sheer accident. After continual research I saw the great potential in this game, and merely toyed with it. Made up to three games, all of which I consider experiments, in order to test the game's full potential. Now, I stand here, typing this..very..sentence
The SMBX Let's Player, as303298 / Wraith Admanknight
Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/as303298?feature=mhee

Star
Bit
Bit

Postby Star » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:58 am

Time for my story. I sometimes went on Newsground for fun and discovered Super mario 63. It was basically a 2D version of Super mario 64.
It even had a Level editor. Then i had school stacking on me and i soon forgot about it.
I remembered it again and when i saw it was gone. Then i searched up Super mario level editor and found SMBX.
And thats my story.
I have stop updating my project. Don't cry though. It's being updated here!

http://smbxuniverse.my-board.org/

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 am

I used to regularly browse Mario Fan Games Galaxy and one day in August of 2009 Redigit submitted SMBX 1.1.1 (or 1.1.2, can't remember which) to the site. From there, I found out about the forums and the community because it was just such a great game.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Drluigi
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Drluigi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Here's my history in this community.
Sometime in the end of May 2010, I was looking for Mario midis to use in Mario Builder, and just so happened to come across the original supermariobrothers.org. I don't know what, but something told me to click "Mario Downloads" and I found SMBX, and saw how much better it was. I decided to start my project, Super Mario Bros. 4 (Yeah, pretty original, huh? :P ) from scratch in smbx, and even made a Youtube account for smbx, which ended up becoming a music channel after I learned how to use FL Studio. That project, and a few other ones got cancelled, and I've been an smbx user ever since.
Nintendo Network ID: Drluigi1337
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1934 1615 0864
Steam Profile:

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

I saw two members from SMFE a long time ago (about 2 months before 1.2) using at and I thought it looked totally amazing and wanted to play it instantly.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

KOTH
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby KOTH » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 am

I actually cant remember very well but it was likely do to me searching for mario games or something like that,do to be bored of other mario games and SMW Hacking.
Current Proyects

SMBX: Mario and Luigi - The Conquerors (SMBX Episode) (2%)
Mario and Luigi: Mystery Quest - Bowser's Revenge (SMW Hack) (25%)
UA Frontier - The Return of the Resistance (UA Mod) (25%)

Bryan
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Bryan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:18 pm

I was on the web in search of Mario flash games and fansites and baaam! I found Super Mario Brothers.org. For the entire first month, I never really paid attention to the link for SMBX, I never actually noticed it to be honest. I was there about three weeks to a month before the original forums closed. I recall registering an account, but I no longer recall. Hmm... anyhow, I was in search of Mario flash games and I found an entire community that I've been part of since 2010.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 am

I made Super Mario Flash levels in 2009, when I was 14. One day, I randomly typed supermariobrothers.org in the URL bar and found Redigit's site. I liked it, and then, one day, Super Mario Bros. X was added on the site. I downloaded it and was pleased it as it was a remarkably better Mario editor than SMF. My first SMBX level was Valtteri's Forest and it appears as the first level in Valtteri Island (I've never been good at coming up with names), my first SMBX episode. After finishing Valtteri Island, I desperately wanted to share it with the community and joined Redigit's SMBX forum on February 19th, 2010. I even found my old account on Web Archive!

http://web.archive.org/web/201007101116 ... ile&u=1072

So, (after a lot of struggle :P) I figured how to post and posted my episode. Most of its levels were remakes of my early SMF levels! :o It was pretty bad, but people seemed to like it. Soon after the graphics update I made my first custom graphic, which was SMW Ludwig von Koopa over Bowser (the Koopalings didn't exist in SMBX back then). I proceeded to making all seven Koopalings from SMB3 replacing Bowser, and they ended up as the bosses of my second episode, Valtteri Island II. To this day I've been doing graphics and levels stuff. I was also promoted to SMBX beta tester at one point and later became a Terraria beta tester.

Return to “General”