DMPYLAIY 2: Sending your Ideals into the Kiln

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.

Here we go again! Vote for the 2 worst judges for something later!

Bomber57
21%
Chad
6%
Quill
18%
TNTimelord
8%
zlakerboy357
48%

Total votes: 80
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Re: DMPYLAIY 2: Sending your Ideals into the Kiln

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
DarkMatt wrote:Well, why don't we put in spiked Para-Beetles and make them NOT solid, so that if you DON'T spinjump on them, you just fall to your death? Great game design!
I fail to see how this is a problem.

Also, regarding Woods of Wonder, I think DarkMatt sped the GIF up a bit.
He did.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:19 am

krazykat wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
DarkMatt wrote:Well, why don't we put in spiked Para-Beetles and make them NOT solid, so that if you DON'T spinjump on them, you just fall to your death? Great game design!
I fail to see how this is a problem.

Also, regarding Woods of Wonder, I think DarkMatt sped the GIF up a bit.
He did.
Believe it or not, that is normal speed. It's just very, very hypnotic.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 am

DarkMatt wrote:Believe it or not, that is normal speed. It's just very, very hypnotic.
Nah, it's not normal speed, because Toad's animation speed is too fast, unless the level creator really decided to speed up the animation speed of Toad, but that would be unnecessary.

But it does add for comedic effect.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:41 am

I honestly don't know at this point. I might've just forgotten to set frame delay to double because I had to shorten down file size.

I mean, it really does look like normal, but I could be wrong for all I know.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:00 am

I don't know if it's possible to make the spinies (read: para beetles) solid without messing up spin jumping.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:06 pm

DarkMatt, did you honestly get past the final part of the endless knick-knack section? Or do you need me to tell you the stupid way you were supposed to do it? My level was definitely filled with awful design choices, no doubt, but it was my first contest level (which isn't even an excuse :P).
Steam:
YouTube Channel: Twitch Channel:

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I thought "something special" was just a lie and an exaggeration.

Also your star event is broken so nope, can't finish the level.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:12 pm

DarkMatt wrote:I honestly don't know at this point. I might've just forgotten to set frame delay to double because I had to shorten down file size.

I mean, it really does look like normal, but I could be wrong for all I know.
We can say that you sped it up for comedic effect and leave it at that. Sounds good to me.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

qig
Eerie
Eerie
Current Project: SMBX FORUM THE RPG (ahahaahhahaha)

Postby qig » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:44 am

FanofSMBX wrote:I don't know if it's possible to make the spinies (read: para beetles) solid without messing up spin jumping.
then don't design a level with spiked para-beetles.

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:56 am

DarkMatt wrote:I thought "something special" was just a lie and an exaggeration.

Also your star event is broken so nope, can't finish the level.
You sure? I tested it several times and it worked the way it was supposed to. Tell me EXACTLY what happens after you leave the checkpoint room.
Steam:

Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?

Postby Quill » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:28 am

Now I wish I actually made a level.

Also, it might be interesting if you go through previous level contests and trash review those levels. That could be fun if you have nothing better to do.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:59 pm

PaperPlayerX wrote:You sure? I tested it several times and it worked the way it was supposed to. Tell me EXACTLY what happens after you leave the checkpoint room.
Nothing. Nothing happens. I can't collect the star. I can't leave. Your level deadlocks.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I can't wait to see how much you hate my level! Yay!

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:07 pm

DarkMatt wrote:
PaperPlayerX wrote:You sure? I tested it several times and it worked the way it was supposed to. Tell me EXACTLY what happens after you leave the checkpoint room.
Nothing. Nothing happens. I can't collect the star. I can't leave. Your level deadlocks.
Just tested it like 5 seconds ago, the boss works fine for me. I run up to the star, where it disappears and a boom-boom appears, then once I've killed the boom-boom, the star comes back (the star that disappears and the star that comes back are two different stars). The judges mentioned making the fake star "friendly" so that the game doesn't count it as three stars. Do you think that factors into your problem?
Steam:

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Possbly yeah :V

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:59 pm

DarkMatt wrote:Possibly yeah :V
So here's my theory:
Someone in the TOB crew decided to fix the star problem in my level, but accidentally screwed up the events in the process.
DarkMatt, do you need me to send you the original level (if it's been altered)? Or have you already fixed the problem?
Steam:

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:25 am

What difference will it make? It's not like I'd bump your score up because your level now functions.

And it's not like I change scores anyway.

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:27 am

DarkMatt wrote:What difference will it make? It's not like I'd bump your score up because your level now functions.

The difference it makes is that the level may not be playable in the TOB. Which is a problem.
Steam:

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 am

PaperPlayerX wrote:
DarkMatt wrote:What difference will it make? It's not like I'd bump your score up because your level now functions.

The difference it makes is that the level may not be playable in the TOB. Which is a problem.
Then talk to Valtteri about it if you are so concerned. DarkMatt isn't the guy who runs that stuff.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Image-Leo sez: ZZZZZhuh? Oh, new tier? Well let's see...this doesn't look like it was made by child labor, so that's a start. Maybe these kids have more than their mom's lunch money. I've been told that the craftsmanship of this platformer only goes up, but I would like it if it goes faster than a snail's pace. Oh well, at least we've gone from "cavemen banging rocks together" to "natives cutting up logs to make crude imagery".

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER:
ImageThatRandomGuy
-The raddest Prinny. Once defended a dwarven child for murdering a preschool of lesser mortals and won. Bitches can't handle his style, or his habit of propping his peglegs on the desk and tilting his chair. Refers to DarkMatt as Agumon. Has never touched SMBX, but he makes RPGs in RPGmaker. Does that count? Owns a magical spinning top that summons a dragon with enough force. Do not throw in a crowded area.

#50:

Fire Castle
The bastard who made this: Trace42

Gameplay: 1/5
Aesthetics: 1/5
Lava Bonus: 0/5

FINAL SCORE: 0.66

DarkMatt sez:I hate the lava everything in this level and it does a LOT of bad ideas with lava. Fuck moving lava and the platforms that LOOK like you can go on them but you really shouldn't, low lava ceiling + podoboo's shoe because having to duck is a feature, character switch blocks that I HOPE YOU DIDN'T EQUIP THE SHOE YOU NEED ALREADY OTHERWISE IT GOES BYE BYE, not to mention character switch blocks to FORCE ME TO LUIGI FOR NO REASON, and the elevator kills me when it stops. Holy shit was this level unfun to play. Also, is it normal if I cringe every time someone uses lava in a level? I think it is, because so far I've only seen really bad applications of something that instakills you and they treat that like it's no big thing.

Random sez:Floating Lava, pillars because reasons, lava falls right next to the floating lava, a boss who dies and quotes Zelda CD-I because.. uhh. And well, a lot of bugs that could have used much more playtesting.

#49:

Relentless Fortress
The bastard who made this: DatDude

Gameplay: 2/5
Aesthetics: 2/5
Boss Fight Bonus: 1/5

FINAL SCORE: 1.66

DarkMatt sez:This castle is boring and it just slaps enemies around left and right and expect them to work. The graphics are ASSUMED to function together, even though it's so lazy it can't even differentiate background bricks from foreground. Also, you can tell this level overstayed its welcome, because by the time of the first Bowser fight, the level kind of just falls apart in detail and challenge. It's like the person who made this never had an idea of what he was doing.

Random sez:Bowser is not a good interior decorator.

#48:

A Field of Vicious Trappers
Hey look it's that faggot: DarkMatt

Gameplay: MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T/BE SUCH A SCRUB
Aesthetics: IT'S FINE/YOU FILTHY PLEB
Golden Bonus: 8 * 10^9999/5

FINAL SCORE: :?

DarkMatt sez:Okay fine. To be honest, I do feel this deserved the score it got. I definitely didn't put in as much work as I did the previous contest level. But seriously, some of the things our judges don't like, it baffles me at times.

Random sez:I don't know why Mario is killing all of these harmless villagers but clearly he must be hitler.

#47:

Volcano Madness
The bastard who made this: Zupermariobros

Burning Red Bonus: 1/5

DarkMatt sez:Hey. News flash. Making everything the same god damn color =/= working art style. Also dumbest boss that shows how people do not give a fuck about program limitations and just want to make things to clap their hands to.

Random sez:NOT RED ENOUGH.

#46:

The Sands of Time
The bastard who made this: dragonfan96

Convoluted Ass Puzzle Bonus: 0/5

FINAL SCORE: Image

DarkMatt sez:This is a very generous score given to a level that commits several horrible mistakes in level design: assumes a LOT about where the player should go, twists and distorts the level path to the point where the author vainly tries to outright tell the player how to play his mess, and puts in so many fucking P-Switches and Keys and assumes they just all work. I can easily guess this wasn't playtested, and who can blame the author if he doesn't want to play his own shit?

Random sez:I feel like the maker was like "Boy I really want to make a labyrinth esque place like that pyramid level in Super Mario 64. *five minutes pass* Well I'm kind of bored with this now, I better pop out a few more screens and make some key-ferrying sections to make the level seem even MORE labyrinthine than it really is!. *finishes* Should I play test this? Ehh I'll walk through it once and that should be enough." Don't do this, kids. Real friends don't let friends not playtest levels.

#45:

Regen Gefüllt Plains
TIME FOR ANOTHER CLUSTERFUCK BY: MECHDRAGON777

Gimmick Bonus: 1/5

DarkMatt sez:All that's different between this level and his previous contest submission is he's figured out to make a level that tries to be one of the top tier winners while having all the entertainment and forethought of our bottom tier losers. It doesn't help the level if you make the bad parts of your level optional, I still see that you have very bad ideas for fun and challenge. I'm just given the virtue of skipping the full brunt of your crap, and I suppose I do appreciate that, but you're still a bad designer.

Random sez:Was he afraid that the judges wouldn't like his entire level? Why would you section off most of your level and leave it up to backtracking to get more and more stars? That's like artificially shortening AND lengthening it at the same time. Why not make a level without any artificial flavoring? Secrets and bonuses should be a discovery, not a labor.

#44:

Ghost's Vine Puzzle
The bastard who made this: RubberParasite

Aesthetics: 1/5
Maze Bonus: 0/5

FINAL SCORE: 0.66

DarkMatt sez:So shit maze, followed by shit boss, followed by shit chase. This was the most engaging level ever and I had so much fucking fun playing it. Why this didn't get 1st place is beyond me.

Random sez:The maker either just watched SAW or played Dark Souls, because there's a lot of idiot traps and forced-damage unless you have foresight that no player will be able to reasonbly figure out their first way through.

That's not good level design.

#43:

Arid Chambers
The bastard who made this: Blue Bomber

Stitching Graphics Together Bonus: 1/5

DarkMatt sez:This level was boring and each attempt to entertain me was hilariously forgotten to make way for the new one. Also, is there any fucking point to this level's multiple paths? It looks like there really isn't. You just play an even more boring level.

Random sez:I guess the multiple paths idea is alright, but nothing really.. I guess, motivates you to do the other? Except maybe a secret star? It's nonlinear but not exactly meaningful. The level design itself was average.

Though that part with the nonmoving fireballs? No. Fix that. Put some effort into it.

#42:

Snowflake Valley
The bastard who made this: Wind

Gameplay: 3/5
Frozen Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2.33

DarkMatt sez:FINALLY A LEVEL THAT ISN'T OFFENSIVE IN ANYWAY WHATSOEVER. ...Well, not in any bad way, just a couple of dirks: graphics choices is questionable at places, otherwise I would've liked the aesthetics; slippery physics for no reasons at random places I'm guessing because the author did not check if it was on, and as much as I want to like the snow special FX, if you stop it doesn't look as beautiful as it could be. I dunno if you can do it or not but what you did does get a gold star with "You tried." written on it.

Random sez:That's a snow level alright. Those football players sure are digging the shit out of that snow though, rocks? From logs? Damn, I commend their commitment.

#41:

Cold Autumn's Night
The bastard who made this: Thetoxicminecrafter1

Big Buncha Dirt Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2

DarkMatt sez:I honestly can't tell what makes this level better than some of the ones that came before it. This level is super boring and it doesn't help that it's long as well. There's a couple enemies added in an attempt to spice the level up, (And as you can see in the screen, one of them's broken!) but they show up a drop at a time and are usually boring and/or ineffective. This is a snoresfest.

Random sez:This barebones forest sure has a lot of palm trees. Also that ground is just. Everywhere. Nothing done with it, just brown repeating ground constantly. ALWAYS. FOREVER. MAKE IT STOP OH GOD PLEASE.

Also why are the wigglers beginner traps? Do you want your players to make a :T face and be like "well that was fucking stupid." Is that an emotion you actually want to invoke?

Return to “General”