DMPYLAIY 2: Sending your Ideals into the Kiln

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.

Here we go again! Vote for the 2 worst judges for something later!

Bomber57
21%
Chad
6%
Quill
18%
TNTimelord
8%
zlakerboy357
48%

Total votes: 80
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Re: DMPYLAIY 2: Sending your Ideals into the Kiln

Postby SnifitGuy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Wow, top 40. I am truly honored that you didn't hate my level that much, DarkMatt. That says a lot.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:21 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:Wow, top 40. I am truly honored that you didn't hate my level that much, DarkMatt. That says a lot.
What level was yours?
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:36 am

I like you aknowledged my level with a diffenrt tital!

This was a edit of a level from my project! The original level is in my signiture! It is entended to only be played two or three times by the playe if hey desire true 100%! There was nothing even optional in the level! Where is half (50%) of the level you claim tht is cut off? Is this what I get for makeing a level, and changed it just to follow the star limit rule?

ImageImageImage

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 am

>It is entended to only be played two or three times by the playe if hey desire true 100%!
>There was nothing even optional in the level!

These two phrases are mutually exclusive.

And you're forgetting the bigger points, about how you can't make a level without making shitty glitch exploits and shitty backtracking.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:29 am

Can't wait to see how badly you insult my level eh!
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:24 am

DarkMatt wrote:>It is entended to only be played two or three times by the playe if hey desire true 100%!
>There was nothing even optional in the level!

These two phrases are mutually exclusive.

And you're forgetting the bigger points, about how you can't make a level without making shitty glitch exploits and shitty backtracking.
I did not use a single glitch!
What two phase are you talking about? Since one does not get the tanooki suit til latter in the game, you would be unable to he the secret exit til then. And if you get the star the first time, then you can get the moon coins easily without backtracking next time! I did that only because of valtteri'a star rule! Just watch the video in my signiture for the original level! I had to remove a star, and so the to make the gimmick useful, I moved a moon coin about 15 or so tiles to the left. That moon coin is in the place of the star I removed for valtteri's rule!no moon coin requires backtracking in the original, and the backtracking is irrelevant if then player desides to play the level again! It is not even that long!

ImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:02 am

Don't worry MECHDRAGON.
I still liked your level :3
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:40 am

I've seen that somebody used one of my graphics, but the... non updated version. Would like if I should work a bit more in it or not...
Anyway, hope tier 5 will come tomorrow.
im bored

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:43 am

>Tier 5 out tomorrow
That is a good joke.
Do you know how long it takes to, review the levels, stream the levels to my copilots, make the screenshots for the levels, and then make the post?

That isn't something I can wave a magic wand and do. It does take time.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:06 pm

DarkMatt wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:Wow, top 40. I am truly honored that you didn't hate my level that much, DarkMatt. That says a lot.
What level was yours?
I don't want to say if it will affect you score.

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:13 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
DarkMatt wrote:
What level was yours?
I don't want to say if it will affect you score.
He can just take a look at the contest thread.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Too late. I'm looking it up now.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:54 am

DarkMatt wrote:Too late. I'm looking it up now.
Ok, then. Don't be biased, please.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:11 am

I might make the bonus "Afraid of my Opinion" but other than that,

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 pm

That reminds me, My level is gonna kick your Hine, It's that hard. (I think it was the hardest level to make it that high.)
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Then I hope you enjoy your bonus, which sounds like it's gonna be "Broken Ass Difficulty".

Isaac Rebirth came out, so chances are this update will come even slower.

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 am

DarkMatt, this is some of the funniest shit. Total respect from me, if you're just playing random levels, what about playing the only level i ever made? I'dl ike to see the hilarious shit you'd say about it.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Image-Leo sez: So we were off selling products and getting into fights. It was a better thing to do than associate with your macaroni art. However, the boss wants to finish this, and that means I have to still market this crap to you smelly humans. This is Tier 5, but we're just now seeing platforming games that aren't incompetent. Next time let's just split the tiers into 4 episodes instead of selling it all as one giant turd with maybe some shiny pebbles in it. We'd make more money that way.

TODAY'S GUEST:
#40:

Munchers Galore!!!
The bastard who made this: Valtries the Fox

Gameplay: 3/5
Aesthetics: 3/5
Throwaway Level Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2.66

DarkMatt sez:This level starts off stable but then it starts using a bunch of other shit outside of munchers because OOPS DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO MAKE A LEVEL INTERESTING. This level also ends rather abruptly after realizing it's going all over the place with its level. A really bad show of competency, but I suppose this level is decent enough. I just wouldn't play an episode by this guy.

Kyo sez:So munchers grow on vines nowadays? Oh, okay. This level is definitely better than the tier 2 ones, though that's not something you'd call a compliment. And couldn't you just use the normal NSMB one instead of the Yoshi one? Those sounds are annoying.

#39:

Oldschool Metal
The bastard who made this: SuperWingedYoshi

Gameplay: 2/5
Aesthetics: 2/5
"Makes jokes about own shitty taste in music" Bonus: 1/5

FINAL SCORE: 1.66

DarkMatt sez:This level wasn't fun to play, and it doesn't help how shitty your jokes were. Key doors that defy the theme, lava for no fucking reason, and when I was forced to solve a shitty switch puzzle in 10 seconds, I threw your level back into the garbage pile. That's good, because the returned portion of your level doesn't look any more fun, just more unforgiving and shitty to go through. Also, fuck you for saying Metallica is garbage.

Kyo sez:"This looks like a switch puzzle." no shit sherlock. And that music is... God, at least you decided to make it the boss. Would have probably disabled the music, though. Also, it'S never good to mix 16-bit with 8-bit, just a little tip. Also, I bet that background took YEARS to design! Good job!

ATUHOR'S NOSE: God damn it Valtteri. Some shit happened with the results because the incredible judging abilities of this contest's panel was a bit too bad and Valtteri decided that maybe his panel wasn't the best around and people should be compensated for their own ineptitude which he just lets happen? So that got changed during my thread, so now my positions are fucked up and #38 now is Snowflake Valley, which, was #42. I APPRECIATE IT. I ALSO APPRECIATE STILL BEING 48TH. Instead, have this level that may or may not be 38th, or 41st, or anything.

#??:

Time to Visit Grassland Village
The bastard who made this: Vanishing Bilborb

Aesthetics: 1/5
Apples Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2

DarkMatt sez:I want to like this level, but one, it goes all over the fucking plcae with what graphics it wants to use, and two, there are so many branches with nothing but powerups/coins/shit I don't need it's not even funny. Like, if you made an episode like it I'd probably praise the clusterfuck level direction as a good thing, but I honestly do not understand what you're trying to do to make a level interesting.

Kyo sez:Remember, clash is the biggest sin you can commit when designing a level, unless you're not going to show it to the community. But to be honest, you should have chosen the GFX in this level a little bit more carefully. The choice of music is somewhat off as wll. This level is just really inconsistent and weird. But aside from the aesthetics, the design is actually quite decent. Some gimmicks in this are quite interesting, if only they were implemented a bit better than that.

[11:24:51 AM] DarkMatt: well
[11:25:00 AM] DarkMatt: I hope you enjoyed your stay in grassland village
[11:25:05 AM] Kyo: no i didnt

#37:

All Night Biased Hills
The bastard who made this: litchh

Terraria Bonus: 1/5

DarkMatt sez:I thought this was going to be the most boring SMB1 level ever. Then I get to the halfway point then doors that throw you back, Terraria shit, funny Lord of the Rings jokes. The castle doesn't exactly look fun to play. Your attempts to spice things up didn't work. I was still bored as shit by the end of your level.

Kyo sez:The only thing that's scary about this level are the enemies. But frankly, this level is actually good. The design is a bit generic, but still nice otherwise. The outside part looks pretty cool as well. But why, that Terraria part? That was just, not necessary at all. That star is amazing though.

#36:

Waltz in the Autumn Woods
The bastard who made this: Dragonmaster146

This is Not a Shell Bonus: 2/5

DarkMatt sez:Well here's a level that is so generic I only have a couple gripes about it. It takes creative liberties with the ground and they all look stupid; just make normal ground and a normal person. That and why are veggies shells? Why the fuck did you think the player won't just go, "Hey a shell let's kick i-wait what the fuck?" Other than that this is a very generic level I would find in a Super Mario World romhack. Read: not a good thing.

Kyo sez:The design is pretty okay, though the recolor of that tileset and the music choice in this level are both outstanding. That's pretty much all there is to say about this level.

#35:

Bowser's Sky Tower
The bastard who made this: Pivot40Channel

"I don't fucking know what to say about this." Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2.33

DarkMatt sez:I honestly cannot say anything about this level past how horribad its mixing of graphics look, which the only reason it doesn't get a 1 in Aesthetics is because I suppose it's not so atrocious as others I've played. I can say that doesn't mean it's a good level, nor does it mean I liked playing it. I can say it has a dumb platform riding section but that doesn't go into "used too much shit" territory. This is really just a mediocre castle level plagued by a couple bad design decisions. I would say it's hard but I godmoded through it, so nope, can't say anything about that.

Kyo sez:What the hell is up with the first Bowser fight? The second is pretty generic as well, and the grabable brick blocks and other stuff in that fight aren't going to change this fact. This level looks fun otherwise, and the design is okay as well, though you really shouldn't mix GFX from different games in one level (desperately trying to avoid the term 'clash' >_>), obviously because it doesn't end up looking good at all. The rest of this level seems good to go, though.

#34:

Mushroom Lore
The bastard who made this: Radishl
TOO BAD. OGURA TIME.
Cutscene Bonus: 2/5

DarkMatt sez:This starts off as a steady competent grassland level and then throws that aside from a very, very questionable cave theme and then the longest fucking plot sequence. This isn't a bad level, per se, but there are some noticeable problems with how this level plays out: for one, is there are a lot of side areas that take up a lot of time; and another, FUCK THAT PLATFORMING SECTION. This should learn a bit more about level pacing and graphic synergy. That'd definitely help out the author of this level.

Kyo sez:That jump animation as cape Mario sure is irritating. But otherwise, decent level. Design is kinda nice. Music choices are fine, and I swear I heard that cave theme once, but I can't remember where it was from again. The GFX in this level is really good, though. Also, never forget to use at least two pipe segments.i'd keep that one

[11:55:28 AM] DarkMatt: also I'd like to point out
[11:55:30 AM] DarkMatt: big empty nothing
[11:55:38 AM] DarkMatt: here's the thing Kyo
[11:55:40 AM] DarkMatt: that was a side path
[11:55:41 AM] DarkMatt: that isn't
[11:55:42 AM] DarkMatt: the whole level
[11:55:48 AM] Kyo: really
[11:55:53 AM] DarkMatt: Yes
[11:56:06 AM] Kyo: am i supposed to care about that
[11:56:09 AM] Kyo: because i dont

[10:53:49 AM] DarkMatt: oh, I now know what you're talking about
[10:53:53 AM] DarkMatt: that music you're asking about is from Gradius 3
[10:54:08 AM] Kyo: i heard that music once
[10:54:14 AM] Kyo: yet never heard about that game

#33:

Invasion on Destruction
Managed to not get mad: Superiorstar

Aesthetics: 1/5
Broken Ass Difficulty Bonus: 2/5

DarkMatt sez:I want to give this level benefit of the doubt; I don't want to dock points just because it's balls to the wall hard, but some of the shit it pulls off is really dumb and punishing to the player, and some of the shit is completely ineffective. It doesn't do a bad job making a hard level, per se, but it needs to think more about how the player would tackle the level. Furthermore, jesus fuck did you really paint everything one color scheme? Holy shit this looks fugly.

Kyo sez:The contrast between black and red is way too strong in this one. The idea is interesting, but could have used a better implementation than that. Especially the bubbles look weird, with those random black dots in it. The design is fine, and the amount of detail in this level is really admirable. Sometimes this level felt like a spamfest of cannon balls, to be honest.

#32:

Mouser's Brigade
The bastard who made this: BlimpFruit

Pacing Bonus: 1/5

DarkMatt sez:A step up from our previous tank level, this tank level autoscrolls but the tanks don't actually move. Furthermore, the graphics used are really simple and plain to the point where that's worth docking a point. I also felt this went on for longer than it has the right to stay, with the level getting really boring at times. Tank levels are hard to do right, after all.

Kyo sez:The tank graphics are standing out way too much in this level. It's also hardly decorated, quite boring and uninteresting, because it felt like it was always the same. There was no variation, no particular gimmick. The boss was nothing really special as well, and the rinka shooter in it felt random. So yeah, next time try to bring some gimmicks and variation in this level.

#31:

A Small Quest
The bastard who made this: GLD4

Kitchen Sink Bonus: 2/5

FINAL SCORE: 2.33

DarkMatt sez:Here's our first level that suffers from a community-encouraged pitfall: Using every single fucking thing from a single graphics pack. This level takes Sednaiur's SMB1 extended graphics pack and just unloads it onto his level. The end result is variety with no consistency or working theme. As a level it was okay, but a level that uses a consistent set of graphics to convey a theme does a better job aesthetically than a level that uses every single piece from a pack and expects them all to work. That simply doesn't make a level pretty nor aesthetically pleasing.

Kyo sez:It's cool how several SMB1 elements were mixed in this level, and how you combined those with SMB1 CGFX. However, most of the giant graphics look really out of place and unfitting. They should be removed and replaced with smaller ones. This level also feels rather barren at some spots. It's fine, otherwise.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Did Kyo really say the same thing about Oldschool Metal that she did with Munchers Galore!!!, or is that just another mistake on your part?
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Did Kyo really say the same thing about Oldschool Metal that she did with Munchers Galore!!!, or is that just another mistake on your part?
>she
Bomber57 where are you when I need you?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!