Top 10: Best designers

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Sux
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Nova Era

Top 10: Best designers

Postby Sux » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 am

I know this topic seems to be kind of cliche, but it searching in this forum will not find any such. IDK why, but I feel the need of do a topic of this style. How the subject says, here's place to post the 10 best level-designers in your opinion.
Well, this is my ranking with a small comment

1- Kyo

I think everyone guessed it already, it is quite predictable ... he is more than my favorite designer, their levels have served me of inspiration to create my levels (although IMO our design is not similar). I love the way how he uses the blocks, their levels are well structured, creative tricks, and always innovating in the graphic choice, no wonder that he wins two contests.

2- sezixor

Always admire me every time I play one of your levels. No doubt he is the champion in terms of originality to draw the atmosphere a level. None of his levels are equal to the other, each level is a different surprise, with an amazing atmosphere, and combined it with an incredible design, extremely complex and non-linear. Reason why he is always in the Top 5 of the Contests since the CC4

3- Dark Yoshi

It is a memorable designer for our community, always creating impressive levels. Famous for their mixtures, is one of the most popular designer we have. Creating sensational levels, expansive and always unique blends.
And I confess that it inspired me to make my CC7 level, just do not know if this is apparent ...

4- Chad

One of the most admirable designers we have. I say with much security that Chad has one of the best design I've ever seen, always innovating in gimmicks, their levels are always a great job, well structured and excellent to play.

5- reghrhre

It's cool, their levels are usually with high difficulty (IMO) and how love difficult levels, it's great to play your projects, see them as a new challenge. Your desgin is generally solid, and their levels are really creative, but what I like most in his work is the way that it uses a single type of NPCs in many different ways, that's fine

6- Darkonius64

It's really a great designer, their levels are always fun to play, its design is unique, usually expansive. Their levels always have a creative trick and and he do too awesome bosses.

7- Shinbison

He is one of the best designers we have, their levels are always unique, they make an excellent combination of graphics, resulting in an amazing atmosphere with unique blends and a well-structured design, makes your levels always be scored so well, especially in contests

8- SuperMario7

He can not do complex levels, but even with a simple graphical choice, their designs are always amazing. Their levels are extremely organized, nowhere is rushed, or has a concetração of NPCs or BGOS, it's all very well distributed and structured. I confess that I am surprised to see that he has not yet won any contest, but I think it will happen soon.

9- zephyr

He is an excellent level designer, their levels are really gorgeous. Always innovating in gimmicks and often using the most varied advanced features. In addition he is a great graphic designer.

10- Quill

Well, I really like their levels, I don't know explain in detail why. But I feel very attracted by its design, it is really unique is impressive. Their levels are extremely organized and beautiful. It is very unique in creating events and developments of gimmicks

Okay, this is my Top 10, what is yours?
Please post in this topic :P
Last edited by Sux on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Re: Top 10: Best designers

Postby Core » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 am

Here many level designers XD and bad what Sezixor better than Shinbison-kof :(

Sux
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Nova Era

Postby Sux » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:49 am

Well dude, all is question of opinion :)

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

Postby SuperMario7 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:18 am

Oh my this is difficult. I'm not sure I can order these properly, I like each level designer here in a different way. But yeah, I'll try to do in the best order I can.

1: sezixor - Obviously a great level designer. His levels are really creative and fun, with lots of innovative gimmicks inside them. Even though some of his levels are a bit too long for my taste, he's a fantastic level designer. Most of his contest entries are my favorite level in that contest tbh.

2: Dark Mecha - He's an amazing level designer. His levels are pretty simple, but they have great ideas put into them, and they are tons of fun. Also, he's probably the best level decorator I've ever seen.

3: shinbison - His levels are really fun, with great graphics and amazing ideas. His project, The Restoration, is one of my favorites, and it's always fun to check on his screens to see what kind of innovative and aesthetically amazing level he's making.

4: Zephyr - Something about his levels are just so much fun to me. They look great, and they're loaded with gimmicks that make them really fun. I also really like his episode, because Mario Classic is my favorite completed episode.

5: Chad - His levels are awesome. There are tons of awesome ideas in them. They are expansive and intricate, but never frustrating or hard to navigate through (for the most part). That's why I like his levels so much.

6: FireLink - His design reminds me a lot of shinbison, for some reason. He has great gimmicks and graphics in his levels. I just haven't seen a lot from him, but what I have seen, I really like.

7: Kyo - He's obviously a great designer. I mean, he's been the only one to win two contests! But yeah, his levels are fun and really well designed, but I haven't seen a ton from him either so it's hard for me to put him higher on the list.

8: DarkYoshi - I remember seeing his project a while ago, and it just totally amazed me. The few levels I've played from him, I've really enjoyed. Starry Way through the Night Time Sky used to be my favorite level, so yeah, you can probably see why he's on the list.

9: Sux - His levels are really great! They are very well-made and have some awesome ideas put into them. They're too long for me, but they're still really good, and I enjoy playing them.

10: Sednauir - He puts so much effort into his levels. He makes pretty much all the graphics, and then designs the levels beautifully. Definitely a great level designer.

Honorable Mentions:
-zlakergirl357
-Valtteri
-ElTipsa
-reghrhre
-SnifitGuy
-Darkonius Mavakar
Check out my current project that I am making with DarkMecha!

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:47 am

Last edited by zlaker on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:50 am

I haven't been around very long, but here are the most notable designers I've played levels from:

1. Chad - I tried his episode and I was converted by the second world.
2. Shibinson-Kof - His contest level was one of the most creative and fun levels I've ever played.
3. Knuckles96 - The Great Empire was a great game to run through and it's one of my favorite episodes.
3. SuperMario7 - Tied with Knuckles96 because his levels remind me of the best of the best levels, namely the Newer Super Mario Bros series.
5. Valtteri - His levels are very creative and chock-full of amazing, fun tricks and gimmicks.
6. Kyo - Some of his levels just amaze me. It's hard to describe.
7. Darkonius Mavakar - I have so much fun playing his levels from previous contests.
8. Kley - Expedition Foundation was so creative, so fun, and so outright awesome, I had to include him here.
9. Zephyr and krazykoopa - New Great Castle Adventure was great, no idea who made which levels though, so I included them as one person.
10. SnifitGuy - I tried his contest levels and it was amazing.
Last edited by Mivixion on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssumday
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby ssumday » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:57 am

1- Chad - Best designer IMO. Your levels are clean, full of gimmicks and without errors. Never exaggerate the NPCs and always do something innovative in their levels.
2- Kyo - Almost equal to Chad. However, it is possible to find some errors in their levels.
3- Sednaiur - In addition to using the best graphics ever made in SMBX, your levels are beautiful and fun. It has a mix of classic and modern style.
4- Shinbison - Their levels are very beautiful and fun, but you can find many errors in them.
5- SuperMario7 - Most of his levels I've played are simple, but their best levels are wonderful and uniquely designed.
6- Sezixor - I don't see something innovative in your design, but all of your levels are decent.
7- DarkMecha - I see a great similarity in your design and Shinbison' design because their levels are cute. But the design is generic and has few gimmicks.
8- Sux - It has an amazing design and unprecedented things in their levels, but he don't know put NPCs and sometimes uses weird graphics.
9- Darkonius - His levels are cute and fun, but its design is not innovator.
10- Valtteri - It always makes classic levels and always does amazing gimmicks.

Some excellent designers, but not are on the list because is inactivity in SMBX:
-DarkYoshi;
-Reghrhre;
-Zephyr;
-Ignoritus;
-Yoshiboo;
-SuperMarioMan;
-Magus.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I do nod really have a top ten, but I can say sednauir, bossedit8, zephyr, as303298, and a few others always made levels I liked!

Why is there not a best player section?

ImageImageImage

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:24 pm

1. Chad
2. shinbison
3. sezixor
4. SuperMario7
5. Sednaiur
6. FireLink
7. Kyo
8. Sux
9. Layla/TNTtimelord
10. Darkonius

Honorable mentions:
zephyr
Waddle Derp
Dragonmaster146
Bomber57
Valtteri
previously known as Kep

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:bossedit8
Sorry Touhou doesn't count
im a girl yo

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:44 pm

lol i am not level designer.. also i've add:
1. Shinbison-Kof - Yes is best designer! Is best user and level designer!.
2. Sezixor - He like Shinbison-kof... but somehow we can find errors in his levels.
3. Zephyr - Is will be best... but Shinbison-Kof better so... somehow he have error in his episode this only because he not post his levels.
4. Chad - Chad join in 4th place from more reasons... but he have great design and bit win Shinbison-kof...
5. AirSesus - Yes... he have not bad But not so good design... his first levels and other can be bad... his final levels - good... but have errors in his levels.
6. Valtteri - His Level Design like Chad but have more classics what i like... is great designer...
7. Waddle Derp - stop! i am know this somehow stupid... but i think is average design... have errors in his levels.
8. Quill - That's good designer.
and 9 and 10 get 9th - Hawkeyeone 10th - epipixel

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Hawkeyeone? epipixel? I haven't really even seen them make levels.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Bomber57 wrote:Hawkeyeone? epipixel? I haven't really even seen them make levels.
Hawkeyeone made parls like "MY DICK IN YOUR FACE: EXTENDED" and "egg" and epipixel made some Casual Levels.
im a girl yo

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:53 pm

9th - very bad design 10th - worst ever so they have bad design

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ZA BARUDO

Postby Mudkip » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 pm

How come I'm so underrated. I guess I should post some levels again.

Emral is the best imo. Best easter eggs and tons of fun stuff in his levels.
And with her heart of silver, Silva!

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 pm

I did a top 20 since I felt bad leaving some of the good designers out.

1. Kyo

My favorite designer in the community. There isn't a single level I've played by him that hasn't amazed me. Every level that I've seen by him is just brilliant, with top notch design, amazing atmosphere, and extremely creative ideas that all result in me immensely enjoying the level. He's won the community contest twice, came in second place once and third place another time. Every level that I play by him become better than the last and I'm always overwhelmed by how much fun they are. I can say the same about his project called The Twilight Star. I'm a little sad that I haven't seen much of it for a while, but if it continues then I feel that it has the potential to surpass even Super Mario Star Expedition. That's how much fun I had with the demo that was released for it. But yeah, I always look forward to playing Kyo's levels, because they're simply wonderful.

2. SuperMario7

SuperMario7 is a once in a generation designer. It's as simple as this: he knows just how to make a perfect level. His levels are just excellent in every way, with perfect gimmicks and length, awesome design and atmosphere, and are almost always gorgeous. I had the chance to beta test his project Super Mario Legends: Part 1 which he will be releasing shortly, and it's one of the best projects there is. Play his level Mystic Mosslands or Wild Western Walk and you'll know what I'm talking about. The level Wild Western Walk is probably the single most perfect SMBX level ever created. It's tied as my favorite SMBX level ever for a reason.

3. Chad

If there's anybody in this entire community who knows how to make a flawless level, it's Chad. He might just be the most intelligent user on this entire forum because of his ability to design levels so perfectly. He has been around for so long and has made countless levels that are all amazing. Now only that, but his ability to be creative surpasses everybody. His levels are just perfect in every way. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that he's the sole creator of the most perfect SMBX episode to ever exist.

4. Shinbison

Everything I said about Dark Yoshi would be an accurate description for Shinbison's , since they both pretty much have identical design. The only difference is that Shinbison has made many more levels than Dark Yoshi, so he is ranked higher. But yeah, his design is splendid. He always puts more effort into his levels than anyone else, and the result is almost always the same: amazing. His level Strange Star Galaxy is tied for my favorite level of all time.

5. Dark Yoshi

It's a real shame that he's left the community, because his levels are unlike anything I've ever seen. I can not even begin to describe how I felt when I played some of his works. The level of talent and skill he had was far beyond any user in the history of the community in my opinion. His levels were just crazy, with unbelievable design and ridiculous decoration. He would probably be number one on this list if he had made a few more levels.

6. FireLink

Firelink's levels are awesome. They're complex, interesting, almost always visually stunning, and excellent overall. I'm surprised none of them have won any contests, because a lot of them are deserving of that. His level Overheat Instillation might just be one of my favorite levels ever.

7. Dark Mecha

Dark Mecha's design is really, REALLY similar to SuperMario7's. If I was given a level folder that had both of their levels in it then I probably wouldn't know which one belonged to who. Okay, besides that fact his design is really good. It's sometimes not quite as polished as SuperMario7's, but as I said, it's still fantastic, with beautiful graphics and decoration, and design that is fresh and fun to play. He also has a wonderful project.

8. Sux

If there was a reward for most improved designer in the community, then it would belong to Sux. He used to make levels that were considered to be not very good by the majority of users, but that has long changed. His design is now amazing, with every inch of the level being incredibly detailed with immense effort. He mixes elements like no other user, but in a good way! There are a few parts of his levels that are a little too detailed, not to mention are sometimes really long, but besides that they are fantastic. I look forward to every level I see by him because I know it will probably be a blast to play.

9. Sednaiur

Probably the greatest graphic designer the community will ever see. I've only played one level by him, but that one was one of the best levels in SMBX. He can make anything he wants to with his unbelievable graphical ability. He has talent, lots of it. I might have ranked him higher if I had played more of his levels.

10. Valtteri

I doubt there will ever be another designer like Valtteri. His design style is so unique and original compared to other users, it doesn't particularly stand out, but those who played some of his levels would know. From what I've seen, he takes gimmicks and ideas from other games that seem like they would be impossible to replicate, and he finds ways to put them into SMBX. Not only can he make some incredible level gimmicks, but he's also very graphic-savvy; he can make entire tilesets based off of just a few blocks from SMBX. He's made a pure SMW project, levels that are graphically 100% based off of certain games, such as his contest level Brainstar Vegetation, and another one called Dreamland Dread, and much more.

11. reghrhre

Reghrhre's design is interesting, to say the least. A lot of his levels are really long and tedious, but most of them are still beautifully crafted with some really creative ideas. His ability to customize his levels far surpasses most of the users in the community.

12. Zephyr

What's that? Why Zephyr so low? That's right. I'm actually not a huge fan of his design. Even so, his design is still brilliant, with amazing gimmicks and absurdly creative ideas that probably no one else in the community would ever come up with. His episode A New Beginning was my absolute favorite episode for the longest time until I played Chad's Super Mario Star Expedition. But I don't really like his newer design as much.

13. andregemeo23

By far the most underrated designer in the community in my opinion. He's had some bad luck with his placements in a lot of the recent contests, and sure, some of those levels weren't as good as some of his older ones, but still, his design has always been one of my favorites. He also has an amazing looking project of which I haven't seen for a while.

14. Darkonius64

I'll be honest, I used to dislike his level design, but that's far in the past. He has become an excellent designer who makes levels that are really creative and fun to play. He even got 2nd place in the previous contest.

15. Jarckius

I wish he was more active, because in my opinion his levels are almost as good as Chad's. His design is extremely polished, has great design and gimmicks, and are really fun to play. Some of them are a little too long, though.

16. zlakergirl357

I've only played two of his levels, which is why he's ranked so low, but those two were excellent. He is a genius designer when it comes to creating new and original level design and gimmicks.

17. bossedit8

I know some people don't really like his avid use of touhou elements in his levels, myself included, but disregarding that fact his levels are brilliant. The level usage abilities might just be the most creative level I've ever played.

18. Gintoki/Yoshiboo62

He's literally not active on this forum at all, which is why I'm not surprised that he isn't on anyone else's list, but he proved to be an elite designer back in the day. Some of his memorable levels were Adventurous Altitude, Pestilential Plant, Crevasse Canyon, Pelagic Pipeline, and Fluffy Cliffs.

19. Quill

Quill has the ability to make some terrific levels when he wants to. At first I thought his design was a little overrated and his project The Apocalypse of Froze wasn't as good as others claimed it to be, but those thoughts have been diminished after playing some of his recent contest levels. His contest level Sky Islands is one of my favorite sky levels ever.

20. TNTtimelord

From what I've seen from him, he's a solid designer but rather underrated. I've only seen a few levels from him from the contests, but those levels were all great.
Last edited by sezixor on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Marionette The Puppet wrote:9th - very bad design 10th - worst ever so they have bad design
If the 10th BEST designer has worst design then I'd start to worry about this community...
im a girl yo

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Mudkip wrote:How come I'm so underrated. I guess I should post some levels again.

Emral is the best imo. Best easter eggs and tons of fun stuff in his levels.
Same here, I should probably step up my game.

I love your levels aswell. They're very enjoyable and have a great atmosphere to them. They're among my favourites, definetly.
Another Designer who makes solid levels is Natsu. I have lots of fun playing his levels.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Marionette The Puppet wrote:9th - very bad design 10th - worst ever so they have bad design
Doesn't make sense, this is a top 10 list, not a top to bottom list.

You put the 10 best not best to worst.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:02 pm

What? Worst is final places like 9 and 10

Return to “General”