Why do people like SMB3 recolored graphics so much?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.

Why do people like SMB3 recolored graphics so much?

Postby Mosaic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi I was just wondering why so many people like SMB3 recolored graphics. Sure the graphics are pretty but they just seem a bit overrated. And SMB1 recolored graphics in my opinion are underrated. This is just my honest opinion. :|

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy

Re: Why do people like SMB3 recolored graphics so much?

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Because SMB3 is the most used style. I don't exactly know why, though.
im bored

Tango
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Tango » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Maybe Redigit favorite SNES game was Super Mario Bros. 3 All Stars. You can notice because he could use the SMW Magic Feather instead Raccoon Leaf from SMB3.

Also, SMB3 has the most variety of tilesets. But they like recolor Super Mario World too.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:07 pm

People don't like smb3 recoloured stuff. They go crazy about smb3 styled stuff. That's because the shading style of smb3 is the most realistic looking from the classic mario games which are included in smbx.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 pm

SMB3 is pretty much the defaulty when it comes to SMBX's creation. For sure, SMB3 is a lot on the use because of details but I wish others would be oftenly used aswell like SMB, SMB2, Zelda 2 and even Metroid.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:54 pm

I think about half of it comes from people seeing great designers using them for some reason and thinking that it's the graphics that make their episode/levels good. This causes people to use SMB3 recolored excessively, simply because they didn't understand what made good levels good.

Of course, not everyone that uses SMB3 recolored graphics thinks this way - there are some people who use them from time to time or even always and their levels are still great - because they did a good job designing their levels and didn't focus only on the graphics.
Jesus is my savior.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 am

Actually, SMB3 styled graphics are the more popular, reasons being things like a higher level of detail and more realism. But I gotta agree, SMB1 is pretty cool, too. I actually like every style except SMW, since it's just too cartoony for my taste.
im a girl yo

Thetoxicminecrafter1
Rex
Rex

Postby Thetoxicminecrafter1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:31 pm

I think there are multiple factors that go into the Smb3 gfx obsession. One of them is the fact that a lot of people like the 16 bit smb3 style which is more colorful and pleasing to look at as opposed to smw or smb2. This probably lead to many people designing graphics that fit with the smb3 style and not as many people making gfx of other styles. That is assisted by the fact that there are more Smb3 graphics in the plain editor, as well as more unique and useful npc's and bgo's, it is easier to find graphics to match with those rather than finding a ton of graphics for another style. Probably one of the other reasons it isnt that often we find Smb1, 2 or Smw levels is because now there are just so many Smb3 graphics out there. If you were to look in a graphics pack the majority would most likely be smb3, whether it is recolored, styled or completely custom. I do think there should be more graphics for the other games, especially Smb1 and 2 but Smb3 gfx arent bad, there just very obsessed over.
I Support:
Spoiler: show

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:06 am

The smb3 graphics have a strong outline, which makes them visually clear, easy to use for tiling, and simpler to make and draw.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:50 am

Thetoxicminecrafter1 wrote:them is the fact that a lot of people like the 16 bit smb3 style which is more colorful and pleasing to look at as opposed to smw or smb2
SMW is more colourful than SMB3.
Thetoxicminecrafter1 wrote:That is assisted by the fact that there are more Smb3 graphics in the plain editor, as well as more unique and useful npc's and bgo's, it is
What about the SMW tab? I think that one has as many unique NPCs.
Thetoxicminecrafter1 wrote:look in a graphics pack the majority would most likely be smb3, whether it is recolored, styled or completely custom
SMB3's shading style is the easiest to pull off, and the one people making handdrawn items will pull off without even trying. Therefore many custom graphics, while not classified as SMB3 graphics, will still go with graphics from the game.
Willhart wrote: The smb3 graphics have a strong outline, which makes them visually clear, easy to use for tiling, and simpler to make and draw.
SMW graphics beat SMB3 graphics in all of this.
Miles Troopa wrote: Maybe Redigit favorite SNES game was Super Mario Bros. 3 All Stars. You can notice because he could use the SMW Magic Feather instead Raccoon Leaf from SMB3.
Leaf powerup is easier to program.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

TheKingOfBoos
Grinder
Grinder

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:00 pm

As everybody else said, SMB3 is the easiest and funnest to draw. And in my personal opinion, the simple shading and dark grey outline look completely awesome. I rarely if ever make non-SMB3 styled (or recolored) GFX. And sorry, but SMB1 is the least fun to draw.
<TheKingOfBoos> I don't speak non-american, shadowstar, I have no idea how hot that is
<Kogasa> it's like 92-93 in patriot units
<Merve> TKOB for next mod
Support the GGP! Put this in your signature!
I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm

I would argue that the SMB1, 2 and 3 styles all look as "realistic". SMB2 and 3 also have very similar palettes so the color scheme isn't likely the reason. I believe the general popularity of the game in this community comes from other factors. Compare SMB2 and 3's graphics. SMB2 has way more detailed tilesets and imaginative backgrounds. Still it's not nearly as popular as a style here as SMB3. Maybe it's random. Redigit just happened to take most of the stuff in SMBX from SMB3 and people started editing more things to fit with it. At one point someone tried recoloring a tileset from SMW with colors taken from a SMB3 tileset and probably found the result interesting, and a lot of other people thought so too. Maybe this started the public love for SMB3 recolors. They could have chosen to take colors from SMB1 or 2 and get equally interesting results.

Why does the majority like SMB3 the most? I think there's a clearer answer to that. While it looks at least as pretty as SMB1 and SMB2 (in SMAS), it also has a way more evolved engine. Then why is Super Metroid not the most popular game (out of the games that SMBX takes elements from)? Because it's not Mario. The majority here isn't into Metroid. A good portion is, it is a great series. But the fact is that we have more people here who like Mario (a given, since this is a Mario forum, right?)

Return to “General”