what theme level do you hate?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: what theme level do you hate?

Postby zlaker » Mon May 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Emral wrote:
zlakergirl357 wrote:Any themes that isn't done right.
Please elaborate. What if someone thinks outside the box with a theme, being something you don't consider "right", but is right in its own way?

Okay, I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant is that as long the theme appeals me, then I don't hate/dislike it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

nessunuqa
Goomba
Goomba

Postby nessunuqa » Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 am

nothing.. please visit my site Thesis writing service

Chris14
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby Chris14 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm

I don't like the tank level, Bullet Bill Chases, or levels with a lot of star powers ( 1 is fine but like ones with like 3 or more I don't like.)
Not today.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Superiorstar » Mon May 11, 2015 7:16 pm

nessunuqa wrote:nothing.. please visit my site Thesis writing service
Lol why are you advertising here.
Also I hate noob levels that try to be flashy levels like chad's levels (Mr dragonboy96 has made several level like this).
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon May 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Superiorstar wrote:(Mr dragonboy96 has made several level like this).
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Superiorstar » Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Emral wrote:Image
Offensive how? they really are what I just said you can't deny that.
ImageImage

it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:35 am

(Any) Long-Themed Levels since if you die you have to do the whole Level again if I didn't get the halfway Point or near the end.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:29 am

bossedit8 wrote:(Any) Long-Themed Levels since if you die you have to do the whole Level again if I didn't get the halfway Point or near the end.
I am the exact opposite. I hate short easy levels!

I also hate any level that can insta-kill me as well!

ImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 am

Maze levels >_<

But anyone who feels the same as me is going to LOVE my section in the MAGL X2 collab ;)
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 12, 2015 11:27 am

Superiorstar wrote:Offensive how? they really are what I just said you can't deny that.
Publicly saying that one specific user's style of making levels is shit in your opinion doesn't help anyone. The least you can do is either keep this to yourself, or give him constructive feedback on his style.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 am

I dont really hate any level type
I just like some more then others
I do hate puzzle levels who just require you to run around like an idiot hitting switches though
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!

Postby WerewolfGD » Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 am

witchking666 wrote: I do hate puzzle levels who just require you to run around like an idiot hitting switches though
yes I hate puzzle level because i'm too lazy for thinking, and makes me frustration.
also I hate kaizo because 2 hard and slow autoscroll level because it's boring.
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Superiorstar » Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Emral wrote:
Superiorstar wrote:Offensive how? they really are what I just said you can't deny that.
Publicly saying that one specific user's style of making levels is shit in your opinion doesn't help anyone. The least you can do is either keep this to yourself, or give him constructive feedback on his style.
I've gave him many constructive feedback upon many occassions. I will give you a more constructive post later because I'm on a phone right now.
ImageImage

Aulphexia
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby Aulphexia » Sun May 17, 2015 6:58 pm

I just hate any kind of level that is bright and happy. I can't stand bright and happy levels, they're boring and don't provide much excitement.

Okay, being serious now, I just don't particularly like any sort of level with a lack of polish or design. Levels which are without any background objects or levels of untidy tile placements are not my thing. As well as plain flat levels with the occasional enemy there and then. Plus levels with unfitting music, like having a sky theme inside a cave. Yawn, don't want to play those kind of levels.
HIRING BETA TESTERS
World 1 - Spiky hilltops ready to be tested. PM if you're interested.
ImageImageImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 am

You know, scratch what I've said before. Tank levels are fine. They can provide a fun experience.

Touhou levels, on the other hand, consistently have unfitting music and tedious boss fights. The main part of these levels is structured like any other, while the player constantly gets assaulted by random rinkas and hammers for no reason.

crusher169
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby crusher169 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 am

Emral wrote:You know, scratch what I've said before. Tank levels are fine. They can provide a fun experience.

Touhou levels, on the other hand, consistently have unfitting music and tedious boss fights. The main part of these levels is structured like any other, while the player constantly gets assaulted by random rinkas and hammers for no reason.
I love touhou levels. the music is great, the boss fights are about as fun as the level itself either way and the levels themselves are fun for me.
on the other hand, I HATE every autoscroll level and also hate boss fight only levels. im not a fan of bosses
I'm not good at making signatures.

Navi
Ninji
Ninji

Postby Navi » Mon May 18, 2015 7:29 am

crusher plssss

I also dislike tanks 'cause the autoscroll is too slow and kinda booring
Hello~ I'm previously known as Alex48, or by crunch40 for very old people.

Memorabilia:
<Legend-tony980> And I'm sexually impure.
== broadband was kicked from #teatime by Gohan [eww broadband]
"I don't have time for this, sorry" ~ Joey 2015
<reghrhre> close, ronald garcia

Crusher: kedy (the adjective) means rude or mean
kedy (the verb) means to ban/kick/kickban
kedy (the noun) means bad leader

now, see you in 3 years when im finally unbanned
xD

[Friday, May 01, 2015 6:12 PM] Crusher169: Kedy-kun-kawaii-desu-san-chan-sensai-senpai
Good morning/afternoon/noon/evening/night/midnight/dawn to everyone!
Supporting:
bossedit8's project:
Touhou Mario 2
OPEN SESAME:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 18, 2015 7:42 am

crusher169 wrote:
Emral wrote:You know, scratch what I've said before. Tank levels are fine. They can provide a fun experience.

I love touhou levels. the music is great, the boss fights are about as fun as the level itself either way and the levels themselves are fun for me.
on the other hand, I HATE every autoscroll level and also hate boss fight only levels. im not a fan of bosses
Alright, I'm not saying touhou music is abysmal and I don't like it. In fact, the touhou soundtrack is one of my favourite soundtracks! HOWEVER, people have no business using them in slow-paced 2D sidescrolling non-bullet hell video games. It feels SO out of place it's unreal.

I wouldn't have a problem with the bossfights if it weren't for three things:
-they aren't boss fights, as all you do is stand around and wait, dodge
-they're extremely long
-new phases often come without warning, making them a tedious remembering game

Therefore I'd say the level part is definetly more fun than the boss fights. However, even then, it's just any other level theme ++ rinkas and -- fitting music. Both are steps in the wrong direction. It's intentionally downgrading your level.

Also you're saying you like touhou bosses but are no fan of bosses kk. Where's my tableflip gif when I need it?

crusher169
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby crusher169 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am

Emral wrote:
crusher169 wrote:

Alright, I'm not saying touhou music is abysmal and I don't like it. In fact, the touhou soundtrack is one of my favourite soundtracks! HOWEVER, people have no business using them in slow-paced 2D sidescrolling non-bullet hell video games. It feels SO out of place it's unreal.

I wouldn't have a problem with the bossfights if it weren't for three things:
-they aren't boss fights, as all you do is stand around and wait, dodge
-they're extremely long
-new phases often come without warning, making them a tedious remembering game

Therefore I'd say the level part is definetly more fun than the boss fights. However, even then, it's just any other level theme ++ rinkas and -- fitting music. Both are steps in the wrong direction. It's intentionally downgrading your level.

Also you're saying you like touhou bosses but are no fan of bosses kk. Where's my tableflip gif when I need it?
1. well I kinda find the music to be fitting since the levels are usually intense a lot
2. yes, they arnt boss fights. they arnt even CALLED boss fights.
3. I don't find them to be that long. well at least not bossedits.
4. its more then ++rinkas, its ++projectiles in general, which is a main point of the level.
5. "Also you're saying you like touhou bosses but are no fan of bosses kk." I. you said they arnt even boss FIGHTS. II. i kinda worded it wrong, i mean i hate most bosses (i can go on for a long time about stuff that's already been said about the kinda bosses ive seen but i wont) III. i specifically said "boss ONLY" implying i do not hate the bosses, i specifically hate having a level which only has a boss. IV. tableflip gif? kewl
I'm not good at making signatures.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 am

It's hard to pick on anything; even water levels have their place. I'm not even really authoritarian about the aesthetic choices people will make (including music) as part of their personal expression.

I might have come in saying that boss rush levels are inherently bad; they aren't. Imaynotbehere4long's creation is a testament to that—not that I've seen many that I feel are particularly creative otherwise.

I'd pick on the town/mushroom house levels in certain episodes that seem vapid a majority of the time, but that's an episode thing more than an individual level thing.
Squishy Rex wrote:For me, it would be auto-scroll or chase levels. Basically anything that inhibits free roam/play or restricts the player.
I only have a minor problem with autoscroll levels mainly because of how much sense they can make in the game's context. From a gameplay standpoint, though, restricting the player CAN work as an intended challenge. Forcing the player to be in the fray with enemies more directly rather than treat them as brief obstacles is still legit gameplay. I can also draw a comparison to boss rooms being restrictive, yet not only do boss rooms seem less generally disliked, they're often considered obligatory in an episode. I'm pretty sure plenty of people have released episodes without autoscroll. Has anyone here EVER released a finished episode that didn't contain any boss fights?
Autoscroll can be unbelievable in most settings because the player is usually faster than the screen's movement, and there's no real sense of what's causing the restriction. However, what that has inspired me to do is think and challenge myself as to how I'd make the autoscroll work in a level functionally AND believably, including how I'd work a boss* (or miniboss of sorts) into it, and I find these kinds of creative limitations fascinating.

*(By this I don't mean NSMBWii-type Mega Bowser; I mean a boss that you would face as the level scrolls.)

Long-form in general is what might do it for me. In single levels, it's too punishing for the player to be yanked back so far when only taking one or two hits, or falling down a pit. Then again, workarounds for the single SMW checkpoint limit are possible, and players forced to repeat sections might be more inclined to scour for secrets like 1UPs or even hidden warps (in the same vein as the SMB series) contained within the level, to otherwise make up the lost progress.

I dunno. Any theme or concept that my brain comes up with—that I feel I might dislike inherently—can be done in a way that works best with SMBX's core engine. The only possible exception being kaizo, but that depends on its severity, and how rewarding it feels to complete. If you happen to think the core importance of kaizo is that it is as difficult as humanly possible for its own sake, then yeah I would say I hate that. If you use the difficulty as a creative means to an end, on the other hand... no, I wouldn't.

Return to “General”