SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:01 am

SnifitGuy wrote:
Enjl wrote:For the full release of 2.0 we plan to have a lot of the 1.4-exclusive features included in 2.0.
Like customizable world map gfxs?
World map graphics have been customisable for a long time, and with the PGE editor, sceneries will not crash either.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:27 am

Creepermon wrote:I notice there is quite a few features greyed out in the editor such as many liquid types, a physics menu and a timer option. Are these upcoming features, or am I doing something wrong. Leftovers from 1.4 compatability perhaps?
I think those are PGE features that you could only use in a .lvlx file, if I'm correct.
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Spoiler: show
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

Something important I'd like to notice: On all SMBX versions you can't exit Fullscreen mode unless you exit the game altogether (you can't switch to another program, change the volume etc). Please make that possible on the next version.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:31 am

Supershroom wrote:Something important I'd like to notice: On all SMBX versions you can't exit Fullscreen mode unless you exit the game altogether (you can't switch to another program, change the volume etc). Please make that possible on the next version.
You tecnically can, but it requires you to open the task manager!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
Supershroom wrote:Something important I'd like to notice: On all SMBX versions you can't exit Fullscreen mode unless you exit the game altogether (you can't switch to another program, change the volume etc). Please make that possible on the next version.
You tecnically can, but it requires you to open the task manager!
Actually, you just need to hit alt+enter; no task manager or game exiting required.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Tried but it didn't fully work out. I could access my other programs but the window would be swaged into some 4:3 format or whatever, that's not really applicable.

The task bar disappears completely when going into fullmode, and rightclicking doesn't do anything either, so I don't think I can access the task manager as well.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Enjl wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:
Enjl wrote:For the full release of 2.0 we plan to have a lot of the 1.4-exclusive features included in 2.0.
Like customizable world map gfxs?
World map graphics have been customisable for a long time, and with the PGE editor, sceneries will not crash either.
You can edit the dimensions, the number of frames, etc.?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:18 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:You can edit the dimensions, the number of frames, etc.?
No. But at the same time, you can't do that for blocks, either, which is the level of customisation I assumed you were talking about.
Once we have proper hooks into the map, you can just draw over it with lua until someone decides to make an API with UI.
ImageImageImageImage

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Enjl wrote:
No. But at the same time, you can't do that for blocks, either, which is the level of customisation I assumed you were talking about.
Once we have proper hooks into the map, you can just draw over it with lua until someone decides to make an API with UI.
I'm just saying; 1.4 already has this feature, so in theory it would take less work to use 1.4 as the base instead of coding the exclusive features from scratch (unless 1.4 has different code that renders LunaLua useless unless rewritten greatly).

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:29 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
Enjl wrote:
I'm just saying; 1.4 already has this feature, so in theory it would take less work to use 1.4 as the base instead of coding the exclusive features from scratch (unless 1.4 has different code that renders LunaLua useless unless rewritten greatly).
1.4 is not building off 1.3, but rather completely rewritten from scratch. Keep in mind we DON'T have the source code.
ImageImageImageImage

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:33 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
Enjl wrote:
First: We do plan to support 1.4 levels. It's in the works as we speak. The initial support will be rudimentary (no tea script support at first, etc). But we will aim for as high compatibility with 1.4 as possible.

Second: It would not take less work. 1.4 is closed source for one thing, so yeah. Beyond that, my understanding is the code is an utter mess and is hella terrible, so we'd need to rewrite most of it from scratch to make it workable anyway (and it's VB and most of 2.0 is asm/C/C++/Lua). Additionally, it's substantially inferior in terms of scripting, support for audio swapping, etc. What's more - 1.4 is a from-scratch rewrite with different physics, so tons of 1.3 levels just straight-up don't work. 2.0 will work with all 1.3 levels. 1.4 actually ISN'T smbx - it's another game entirely that happens to have some basic support for some SMBX levels. I want to preserve existing episodes so they're completely playable, so moving stuff to 1.4 isn't really doable. Beyond that, 2.0 works by manipulating existing 1.3 code live/upon launch - making it completely incompatible with 1.4 since it uses different offsets, different algorithms, etc. Moving our code to 1.4 would be a several-year project and would require us to do almost everything from scratch again. And it would be substantially inferior since 1.4 is largely inferior in some pretty key ways that matter for development.

Third: I would stay with 2.0 - in the next update we'll have more NPCs, blocks, etc. than 1.4. And it'll only keep growing from there. Eventually we'll support multiple frames for everything, blocks included. Additionally, since we'll support 1.4 levels in an open source way, when 1.4 inevitably dies (as virtually all single-dev, closed source projects do....), you can still make and play levels in a constantly updating version of the game (since 2.0 is open source, even if I give up, others can take over).

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Is there any way to blacklist episodes yet to remove them from the Mario Challenge? I know I could just copy them out to another folder, but bigger episodes take a really long time to copy and that gets annoying to do it every time I want to play the Mario Challenge

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Enjl wrote:1.4 is not building off 1.3, but rather completely rewritten from scratch. Keep in mind we DON'T have the source code.
Horikawa Otane wrote: First: We do plan to support 1.4 levels. It's in the works as we speak. The initial support will be rudimentary (no tea script support at first, etc). But we will aim for as high compatibility with 1.4 as possible.

Second: It would not take less work. 1.4 is closed source for one thing, so yeah. Beyond that, my understanding is the code is an utter mess and is hella terrible, so we'd need to rewrite most of it from scratch to make it workable anyway (and it's VB and most of 2.0 is asm/C/C++/Lua). Additionally, it's substantially inferior in terms of scripting, support for audio swapping, etc. What's more - 1.4 is a from-scratch rewrite with different physics, so tons of 1.3 levels just straight-up don't work. 2.0 will work with all 1.3 levels. 1.4 actually ISN'T smbx - it's another game entirely that happens to have some basic support for some SMBX levels. I want to preserve existing episodes so they're completely playable, so moving stuff to 1.4 isn't really doable. Beyond that, 2.0 works by manipulating existing 1.3 code live/upon launch - making it completely incompatible with 1.4 since it uses different offsets, different algorithms, etc. Moving our code to 1.4 would be a several-year project and would require us to do almost everything from scratch again. And it would be substantially inferior since 1.4 is largely inferior in some pretty key ways that matter for development.

Third: I would stay with 2.0 - in the next update we'll have more NPCs, blocks, etc. than 1.4. And it'll only keep growing from there. Eventually we'll support multiple frames for everything, blocks included. Additionally, since we'll support 1.4 levels in an open source way, when 1.4 inevitably dies (as virtually all single-dev, closed source projects do....), you can still make and play levels in a constantly updating version of the game (since 2.0 is open source, even if I give up, others can take over).
Thanks for the explanations, as that was I was getting at: whether or not LunaLua could be easily integrated into 1.4, and thus, 1.4 into 2.0. Excited to see what 2.0 has in store since it's in Beta sitll. Any ideas on how much y'all wanna add to the game before releasing it out of beta?

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:12 am

PixelPest wrote:Is there any way to blacklist episodes yet to remove them from the Mario Challenge? I know I could just copy them out to another folder, but bigger episodes take a really long time to copy and that gets annoying to do it every time I want to play the Mario Challenge
I need to add a way to do it on an episode-wide basis. Currently you can do it on a per-level basis, but yeah. Beyond adding the proper text (excludeFromMarioChallenge) somewhere in every level of the episode, there's no way currently.

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:43 am

Is there a way to play only any episode with the new characters? As in I choose the legend of mario episode and yet I can play as Rosalina or Megaman rather than the default 5? Also is it possible to choose levels in the Super Mario Challenge? I hope someone can answer to the best of their ability. Thanks in advance.

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 am

Tiger Festival wrote:Is there a way to play only any episode with the new characters? As in I choose the legend of mario episode and yet I can play as Rosalina or Megaman rather than the default 5? Also is it possible to choose levels in the Super Mario Challenge? I hope someone can answer to the best of their ability. Thanks in advance.
Currently you cannot choose levels in Mario Challenge. It's randomized by design.

On the world map, press start and press left or right to switch characters. Otherwise, use the relevant cheat code. They're documented on the website under "Changelog".

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:34 am

Horikawa Otane wrote:
PixelPest wrote:Is there any way to blacklist episodes yet to remove them from the Mario Challenge? I know I could just copy them out to another folder, but bigger episodes take a really long time to copy and that gets annoying to do it every time I want to play the Mario Challenge
I need to add a way to do it on an episode-wide basis. Currently you can do it on a per-level basis, but yeah. Beyond adding the proper text (excludeFromMarioChallenge) somewhere in every level of the episode, there's no way currently.
Wait, how do you blacklist on a level wide basis, I thought that was work in progress.
Double left click near the top of the screen.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 am

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Tiger Festival wrote:Is there a way to play only any episode with the new characters? As in I choose the legend of mario episode and yet I can play as Rosalina or Megaman rather than the default 5? Also is it possible to choose levels in the Super Mario Challenge? I hope someone can answer to the best of their ability. Thanks in advance.
Currently you cannot choose levels in Mario Challenge. It's randomized by design.

On the world map, press start and press left or right to switch characters. Otherwise, use the relevant cheat code. They're documented on the website under "Changelog".
Thanks. How do I access the character costumes on the overworld? I keep pressing many buttons but I'm unable to access them.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:02 am

Tiger Festival wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:

Thanks. How do I access the character costumes on the overworld? I keep pressing many buttons but I'm unable to access them.
Costumes can only be changed by the spade block that is from the world map of SMB3, or by typing "dressmeup" to get a random costume in level. "Increase" is to get back to the default costume. "Unless Horikawa changed it. If so, check the link she posted.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Reign
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario Enigmatic 2 Remake

Postby Reign » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:36 am

Horikawa Otane wrote: (excludeFromMarioChallenge) somewhere in every level of the episode
So you just add the line

excludeFromMarioChallenge

to every lunalua.dll file of your episode? Or is there some other place you need to add it?
Episodes released:
Super Mario Enigmatic ----- http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... php?t=1572
Mario Prime ----- http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... php?t=2962
An Enigmatic Daymare ----- http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... hp?t=12899

Episodes under development:
Super Mario Enigmatic 2 - The Remake ----- http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 90&t=16354

Return to “Archives”