SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby snoruntpyro » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:23 pm

^ what The0x539 said. I haven't added Whistling Chucks yet because I need hooks for rip van fish and I don't know how I'm gonna handle super koopas yet so I don't really have much to go off for for them.
timocomsmbx2345 wrote: is the pink yoshi the balloon baby yoshi and is the blue yoshi the bubble baby yoshi?
No but I'll probably add those guys at some point with different shades of pink and blue.
Spoiler: show

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Gunslinger wrote:
Jayce 777 wrote:
Enjl wrote:Image
The boys are back in town.
No kidding! :mrgreen:
Seriously, those are awesome. What is up with the baby Yoshis on the bottom of the screen though?
Demon baby yoshis.
Why are they like that?

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Enjl wrote:Image
The boys are back in town.
The farting thunder sumos! Hell yeah!
Those Yoshis though..

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby not rockythechao » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Legend-tony980 wrote:Another SMB2 costume possibility, that is if the characters are able to do the Somersault/High Jump technique, but that's just another suggestion of mine. Unless, that's what you planned to do...? :idea:
The power squat jump is already part of the costumes and they do indeed have the backflip animations from Advance. It's still a bit buggy, though.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Westretroman wrote:The farting thunder sumos! Hell yeah!
What are you talking about, the lightning's clearly coming from their legs.
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

Teemster2
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Teemster2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 pm

Hello, I come here often but rarely do I login to post. However I have some questions. I am happy with the way SMBX 2.0 is going.

My first question has probably already been answered but if I am adding new levels to the level list do I replace the name of the level to that of the new added blank tiles or do I still have to replace the tile that fits to them?

I like how the snake block has arrows to guide it around the map but I did not check on moving blocks/platforms etc so do these also get the arrows? Layers can be so confusing.

The Piranha plant comes in several varieties but no one plant can move left/right or up/down. It seems I have to use different plants if I want them moving in different directions and that does not look right. Has this changed for 2.0? I also want the piranha plant that shoots fireballs to also hang upside down. Is this possible?

I really love the mushroom houses from SMB3 but they seem pointless if we can't save multiple items for later like in SMB3. Will this be added in later? The frog suit, star and P Wings would also be nice to have.

Would it be possible for 2.0 to come with the card bonus games from SMB3? The learning curve to make those if possible is beyond me. The block that shoots out 3 1up's would be cool too.

I would also like more room for tiles and levels on the world map. I want to create a grand map and it seems to easy to reach my tile limit and even level limit. Can't these be endless?

Do you plan to add Donkey Kong NPC's to the game? DKC and SMB were the best nintendo games ever. The barrels you shoot out of for DKC would be awesome to have.

I was just wondering and I won't be disappointed if most of this stuff can't be done. Just having more NPC's is pretty cool.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 am

I have a suggestion, more types of Piranha Plants, like upside down and sideways Venus Firetraps and the MF fireball spitting one.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 am

I remember reading that Frogsuit was one of the higher priority things, along with new NPCs and new blocks...and a quick search confirmed that. BUT also that there's still not a good way to ADD new powerups, like...you have the Frogsuit functionality working but it would have to replace a different powerup? I wish I could help but I'm certainly no coder.

I'm not complaining, really. I guess I was just letting myself get excited thinking Frogsuit would be available in the next update. Oh well.

The number of new NPCs so far is amazing. I looked at the list again and saw that more NPCs were ready, among them one of my favorites, Fire Bros.!

And I just thought of something, any chance for more Zelda 2: Adventures of Link enemies coming? Link's been in SMBX like, forever (probably not...?) so it would be cool. I'd love some "melee" enemies for more variety.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

Teemster2 wrote:My first question has probably already been answered but if I am adding new levels to the level list do I replace the name of the level to that of the new added blank tiles or do I still have to replace the tile that fits to them?
wat
Teemster2 wrote:I like how the snake block has arrows to guide it around the map but I did not check on moving blocks/platforms etc so do these also get the arrows? Layers can be so confusing.
Only snake blocks get arrow redirectors, everything else gets line guides, and those have been made more powerful by Sambo. Neither of these things have anything inherently to do with layers, though???
Teemster2 wrote:The Piranha plant comes in several varieties but no one plant can move left/right or up/down. It seems I have to use different plants if I want them moving in different directions and that does not look right. Has this changed for 2.0?
It has not changed. Why does it not look right?
Teemster2 wrote:I also want the piranha plant that shoots fireballs to also hang upside down. Is this possible?
It is possible, in fact IDs 416 and 417 have been claimed for upside-down and sideways Venus Fire Traps.
Teemster2 wrote:I really love the mushroom houses from SMB3 but they seem pointless if we can't save multiple items for later like in SMB3. Will this be added in later?
Possible, but most likely quite difficult. Someone miiiiiiiiiight get motivated to do it, and if so likely in an opt-in API, but don't count on it.
Teemster2 wrote:The frog suit, star and P Wings would also be nice to have.
Frog suit and P-Wing would need a powerup array expansion, which out of the important remaining array expansions is the one of lowest priority.
Teemster2 wrote:Would it be possible for 2.0 to come with the card bonus games from SMB3? The learning curve to make those if possible is beyond me. The block that shoots out 3 1up's would be cool too.
See above comment about worldmap item reserve.
Teemster2 wrote:I would also like more room for tiles and levels on the world map. I want to create a grand map and it seems to easy to reach my tile limit and even level limit. Can't these be endless?
I might be wrong on this one, but I'm under the impression there are performance concerns until we can switch over to the PGE Engine.
Teemster2 wrote:Do you plan to add Donkey Kong NPC's to the game? DKC and SMB were the best nintendo games ever. The barrels you shoot out of for DKC would be awesome to have.
Not ruled out, but not planned, the main focus is on SMB1-SMW, with the occasional hint of MB, SMW2, or NSMB.
Snessy the duck wrote:I have a suggestion, more types of Piranha Plants, like upside down and sideways Venus Firetraps and the MF fireball spitting one.
See above comment about inverted Venus Fire Traps.
Dr Vivian wrote:I remember reading that Frogsuit was one of the higher priority things, along with new NPCs and new blocks...and a quick search confirmed that. BUT also that there's still not a good way to ADD new powerups, like...you have the Frogsuit functionality working but it would have to replace a different powerup? I wish I could help but I'm certainly no coder.
Yeah, that's basically the case as I understand it, but that can be changed if we manage to get more powerup IDs into the game. More block and BGO IDs take priority right now, though, last I checked.
Dr Vivian wrote:And I just thought of something, any chance for more Zelda 2: Adventures of Link enemies coming? Link's been in SMBX like, forever (probably not...?) so it would be cool. I'd love some "melee" enemies for more variety.
See above comment about DKC enemies, though these are probably a fair bit more likely.
Last edited by The0x539 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amyrakunejo
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Postby Amyrakunejo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm

You know, one thing I'd like to see is a readable text or pdf file (or whatever) that describes who each character is, for those of us who might not know every single character.

In my case, I don't know Rosalina all too well, and who tf are Princess Rinka and Uncle Broadsword?

One could use Googlebutt for this, but it's always better to have it all condensed into one, very user-friendly file that can be read by anyone, instead of a mess of files and search tabs...
Amyrakunejo, Lady Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby not rockythechao » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I wouldn't mind doing blast barrels and other DKC stuff at some point, in fact I actually made a prototype of DK a while back and once 2.0 is out of beta I'll likely revisit him as a potential candidate for a full playable character. But right now my main focus is on SMB2 stuff and as others have said, content from the main Mario platformers is currently the 2.0 team's biggest priority.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Touhou and somethin called Len'en
Current Project: failing English III
Chat Username: Sishin Hihiri (loop)

Postby loop13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:36 pm

The spreadsheet seems to have been spammed with "RED PLS". What is going on here?
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

whoops i deleted my avatar

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm

WE NEED TECH
im a girl yo

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Touhou and somethin called Len'en
Current Project: failing English III
Chat Username: Sishin Hihiri (loop)

Postby loop13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks. That explains a lot. I do like where this is going though.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

whoops i deleted my avatar

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Spinda wrote:WE NEED TECH
So why not say that instead? Like
Or
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 pm

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:04 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
Spinda wrote:WE NEED TECH
So why not say that instead? Like
<image links that'll be dead in a month anyway snip'd>
sambo's is better

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm

A question about snake blocks- could we have one snake block that branches off into multiple snake blocks?
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

All this new stuff is super exciting! and also makes me feel bad because I could never make anything nearly as cool
Could I request that several NPC ID's (ten or so) are reserved to remain as dummy NPCs so that people who aren't on the dev team could make custom NPCs and be sure that they don't have any weird behavior?
Amyrakunejo wrote:who tf are Princess Rinka and Uncle Broadsword?
Princess Rinka is a meme.

Uncle Broadsword is a character from ASMBXT (and its sequel A2MBXT), which is Talkhaus' SMBX episode series (which was based on a SMW hack I believe). I think he's a boss at some point (I've only played a bit of A2MBXT so I can't say anything with certainty).
Last edited by HenryRichard on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 pm

HenryRichard wrote:All this new stuff is super exciting! and also makes me feel bad because I could never make anything nearly as cool
Could I request that several NPC ID's (ten or so) are reserved to remain as dummy NPCs so that people who aren't on the dev team could make custom NPCs and be sure that they don't have any weird behavior?
We are already planning to leave a set of NPC IDs as dummies solely for level and episode use. It's not confirmed how many yet, but we're looking around the 100 mark.

Return to “Archives”