SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Westretroman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Quantix wrote:the truth is megan's our new lord and savior
Or the truth could be that Megan is Mario from an Alternate timeline stored in a alternate Galaxy beyond the galaxy's stars, beyond space itself, contained in one giant box contained in a giant universe which is contained in a giant universe which is-

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Postby Amyrakunejo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Seriously...

Why don't we STOP TWISTING THE KNIFE.

Saying 'She's her' and all this blah, blah, BS is just making it all the worse.

So, I'm going to write a bio about her, and if any info I wrote is wrong, feel free to correct it.

Code: Select all

Name: Megan
Origin: Super Mario RPG
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Green
Height: 64"
Weight: 144 lbs.
Role: Spellcaster
Best Ability: Ruinga
Amyrakunejo, Lady Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 pm

you got her name right
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby not rockythechao » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Honestly, we're not sure how old Megan is, if she's even human or whether that candid capture of timo's is her true appearance or merely the closest our feeble mortal minds can comprehend.
She just is.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spoiler: show
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: The Second Reality Project X (SMBX), Hyrule Fantasy (Zelda Classic), ?????? (????)
Chat Username: FireSeraphim

Postby FireSeraphim » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm going to kill this joke right here, since people are getting irritated by this cryptic BS.
Megan is simply a NPC added as injoke referring to all the NPCs in the upcoming Beta 4 of SMBX2 that have the word "Mega" as part of their name, such as the Megaspike, and the Megashroom. Now can we please stop BSing each other and yanking each other's chain? It's not funny and it's really pissing people off. I never thought I would have to be the voice of reason here or be the one to defuse this mess. Good grief. :oops:

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 pm

rip

Links: show
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!"

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Wow I didn't know Megan could be that influential

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey

Postby not rockythechao » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 pm

FireSeraphim wrote:I'm going to kill this joke right here, since people are getting irritated by this cryptic BS.
Megan is simply a NPC added as injoke referring to all the NPCs in the upcoming Beta 4 of SMBX2 that have the word "Mega" as part of their name, such as the Megaspike, and the Megashroom. Now can we please stop BSing each other and yanking each other's chain? It's not funny and it's really pissing people off. I never thought I would have to be the voice of reason here or be the one to defuse this mess. Good grief. :oops:
Dude, chill. 0x539 already explained she was a joke character a few pages back and it's been explained multiple times on codehaus. We didn't make people sign NDAs or anything like that, the info's been there to share or to find if anyone really wanted to put in the effort and look for it, like:
thehelmetguy1 (immediately after 0x539's post) wrote:So Megan was made as a joke?
Jayce 777 wrote:Yes. It was, judging from the development channel on Discord.
But folks just kept asking.

And not to FS but in general: besides the joke element part of the character's appeal (imo) is the fact that she doesn't have or need an extensive bio or backstory or anything. She's a mystery, a blank slate, unlimited possibility. If she must have a "canon" characterization, there's no need to force one right away; why not let it evolve organically based on how folks decide to depict her in their episodes?
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
what did you do
ROCKY

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity

Postby Amyrakunejo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm

FireSeraphim wrote:...Megan is simply a NPC added as a joke referring to all the NPCs in the upcoming Beta 4 of SMBX2 that have the word "Mega" as part of their name, such as the Megaspike, and the Megashroom. ...
That's actually pretty neat.
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:00 am

Jayce 777 wrote:
thehelmetguy1 wrote:So Megan was made as a joke?
Yes. It was, judging from the development channel on Discord.
Thank you for not saying "Megan is Megan"
rockythechao wrote:Honestly, we're not sure how old Megan is, if she's even human or whether that candid capture of timo's is her true appearance or merely the closest our feeble mortal minds can comprehend.
She just is.
Megan is just a Female version of Mario, that's what i see.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey

Postby not rockythechao » Mon May 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Can't easily grab the quote from Discord right now because I'm on mobile, but if someone else wants to do so feel free. To paraphrase Hoeloe (as I understand it), Megan's similarities to Mario were unintentional but once he noticed she looked like a Distaff Counterpart he decided to play it up. With that said, she doesn't have to be a gender-swap of Mario or some alternate universe version of him; she could be just wearing similar clothes or modeling her appearance after him for whatever reason.

If the rest of the dev team is okay with it I may take a crack at whipping up some alternate sprites later so folks have more options for graphic swaps in episodes. Because even if she did start as a joke, she has the potential to be an interesting character and I don't want to see that opportunity squandered.

EDIT:
Last edited by not rockythechao on Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

what did you do
ROCKY

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Mon May 01, 2017 1:52 pm

What happened to the cannonballs and diagonal bullets? They just outright disappeared from the sheet.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Nothing is coming on Christmas. Why? Because I missed my past promises and should stop putting release dates on my stuff.

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Amyrakunejo » Mon May 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Hmmm...

I wanna create some sprites based off of Final Fantasy characters.

But for what I had in mind...

How would one go about making the sprite not fall off the screen when killed?

Like, for the Final Fantasy characters, they just slump over instead. How to implement that?

Cetus808
Bit
Bit
Current Project: a bunch of levels

Postby Cetus808 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Cetus808 wrote:Does anyone know how can I get rid of the "Bad Image" error prior to the startup, because I keep getting that message even though I clearly have MVSCR100.dll in the data folder. And yes, I have installed both vc_redist.exe files.

I also can't seem to test my level with LunaTester for some reason, even I have OpenGL 4.4. (SMBX works for me just fine, despite the ocassional crashes that occur if played for a long time)
I'm still waiting for a solution to these problems, because I'm pretty damn sure I have the minimum requirements to play SMBX, yet LunaTester always crashes if I make an attempt to test my level.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon May 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Cetus808 wrote:
Cetus808 wrote:Does anyone know how can I get rid of the "Bad Image" error prior to the startup, because I keep getting that message even though I clearly have MVSCR100.dll in the data folder. And yes, I have installed both vc_redist.exe files.

I also can't seem to test my level with LunaTester for some reason, even I have OpenGL 4.4. (SMBX works for me just fine, despite the ocassional crashes that occur if played for a long time)
I'm still waiting for a solution to these problems, because I'm pretty damn sure I have the minimum requirements to play SMBX, yet LunaTester always crashes if I make an attempt to test my level.
Is it a runtime error? There's a runtime error kinda like that that basically boils down to "your image is in a wrong format". For example, when SMBX finds a png file that has the file ending .gif it freaks out. Does your level use any custom graphics? Check them. Tried testing a different level to see if the error persists?
Amyrakunejo wrote:Hmmm...
I wanna create some sprites based off of Final Fantasy characters.
But for what I had in mind...
How would one go about making the sprite not fall off the screen when killed?
Like, for the Final Fantasy characters, they just slump over instead. How to implement that?
You make the sprite that falls down invisible, then use the onNPCKill event to detect when an enemy dies, and spawn your own death effect that you apply your own code to (load the image, draw it in onDraw and handle any kind of animation on a timer in onTick).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Cetus808
Bit
Bit
Current Project: a bunch of levels

Postby Cetus808 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Enjl wrote:
Cetus808 wrote:

Is it a runtime error? There's a runtime error kinda like that that basically boils down to "your image is in a wrong format". For example, when SMBX finds a png file that has the file ending .gif it freaks out. Does your level use any custom graphics? Check them. Tried testing a different level to see if the error persists?
No runtime errors at all, I believe. I just tried testing a level from the Invasion 2, and I was met with the typical "SuperMarioBrothersX.org has crashed" prompt after the loading screen. Seems like a bunch of other people experience the same thing.

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 pm

hey, i made a good color pallete if anyone wants to use it.
ImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 pm

timocomsmbx2345 wrote:hey, i made a good color pallete if anyone wants to use it.
Not only is this not related, but it seems pretty useless. It's poorly organized and constructed

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 pm

PixelPest wrote:
timocomsmbx2345 wrote:hey, i made a good color pallete if anyone wants to use it.
Not only is this not related, but it seems pretty useless. It's poorly organized and constructed
it's too bad i can't delete the post.
ImageImage

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Also, are you able to adjust blocks, just like npcs?
ImageImage

Return to “Archives”