SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby The0x539 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Benial wrote:Sir! Sir! I have a question.

Will you ever fix the autoscrolling?
That is all...
we plan to streamline the existing tool known as autoscroll.lua (which you can use in its lua form today) such that it can be configured from within the editor
TheDinoKing wrote:
Quantix wrote:oh boy i can't wait for someone to put like 50 switch palaces in one episode
Because of this post I will make all 61 switch palaces in my episode (if I make an episode).
It takes some clever npc.txt usage to cram more than four switch palaces into the four switches I've made, and if you want to have more than four switch block colors in a given level, you *need* to use some Lua.

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: The Invasion ln [(π*420/e²)] + log (69*1337¹³)
Chat Username: Thg1

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:04 pm

MossaicMerio wrote:finally multiple checkpoints

now I can do 500 hour levels with 20 checkpoints
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
My greatest forum achievement:
Spoiler: show

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:

Fuck, i meant to say, lmao
Last edited by Pseudo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging double post

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

My Level Thread

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16338

Join My Discord Server below!

https://discord.gg/2pHMZg4

My Projects

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
[/center]

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Postby Amyrakunejo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Mega Thwomp vs NITRO CRATE...
Amyrakunejo, Lady Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:39 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:

Right, speaking of multiple midpoints...
The multipoints API is now basegame and NPC 400 is the new checkpoint which has support for multiple checkpoints. The flag is a seperate object. The old checkpoint will still work but shouldn't be used.

That said, multipoints existed for two years, guys. It's only one line of code per midpoint which you can copy from any level that used the API in the past.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

MarioKirby101 wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
ben wrote:Hello.

I would like to ask friendly if somebody could tell me what he or she estimates when the "final" version of 2.0 is ready to download.

I'm looking "much" for it. :)

I wait of course furthermore patiently for this version.
There is no such date, enjoy the betas.
Out of curiosity do you have an release date estimate for Beta 4?
Not really a set date, but mid-late summer seems about right? It'll be a big update.

And incidentally, since I cleared it with Enjl first, achievements are going to be a thing you can do. With a dedicated area in the launcher (the "Achievement Center") for achievement listing, progress, etc.

Very easy to include in your episodes, no Lua required.

Also, you can now have background music, videos, etc. in your launcher pages. As well as dynamic launcher pages that change as progress through an episode happens. And you can configure controls from the launcher finally.

When this stuff is more complete and I finalize some design elements, I'll be sure to write a blog post or something.

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:13 pm

oh wow, there's gonna be some really cool stuff added then.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

My Project (No logo yet): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18321&start=20

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Oh man everything looks super cool!

Do the Switch Palace switches work like they do in SMW, where if you hit one, all the switches in an episode will be turned on?
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Matt_The_Slime wrote:Do the Switch Palace switches work like they do in SMW, where if you hit one, all the switches in an episode will be turned on?
Yup though we'll reserve some new blocks for their default to keep them distinct from the switch blocks. NPC.txt files let you change the IDs of the switched blocks on a per-level basis though.
ImageImageImageImage

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity

Postby Amyrakunejo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Sounds sweet. I'll check back when things are looking towards the next release.
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Enjl wrote:
Matt_The_Slime wrote:Do the Switch Palace switches work like they do in SMW, where if you hit one, all the switches in an episode will be turned on?
Yup though we'll reserve some new blocks for their default to keep them distinct from the switch blocks. NPC.txt files let you change the IDs of the switched blocks on a per-level basis though.
Or, as I primarily had in mind, a per-episode basis so you could have switch palaces that enable, say, jump blocks or breakable bricks or slopes.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm

^
Why not both?

Also it would be REALLY cool if there was an easy way to list the achievements you've got on your user profile on this site - no idea how easy that would be and some people would probably exploit it but it would still be neat.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

Lila M-3210
Spiny
Spiny
Chat Username: Lila_M3210

Postby Lila M-3210 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm

I am mostly looking forward to configurable BGOs and Blocks. I had a slight contingency involving making my own animated block of a certain type earlier. And some of my first ever levels have glitchy behaving doors.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:37 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
thehelmetguy1 wrote:

Fuck, i meant to say, lmao
Please use the edit button instead of double posting in the future, thanks.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

telequillo
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby telequillo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:20 am

Hello everyone,

I am quite new here, I did a few searches but I couldn't find anything about this even if I consider it very important.

Has it been discussed the possibility of giving widescreen (16:9 or wider) support in SMBX 2.0? I think widescreen resolutions benefit enormously any scrolling 2D platform game (I have seen this for example in Sonic fan games, or the new Sonic Mania) among other things because it allows users to see more information of what platforms/enemies/holes are coming, if you are moving fast. And anyways, its 2017 so it would make sense to use your whole screen, almost no one uses 4:3 screens anymore.

Is there any technical difficulty for this? maybe due to keeping backwards compatibility?

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:51 am

you're pretty much encouraging mechdragon to make sanctuary fortress 3 with those checkpoints
im bored

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:48 am

telequillo wrote:Hello everyone,'

I am quite new here, I did a few searches but I couldn't find anything about this even if I consider it very important.

Has it been discussed the possibility of giving widescreen (16:9 or wider) support in SMBX 2.0? I think widescreen resolutions benefit enormously any scrolling 2D platform game (I have seen this for example in Sonic fan games, or the new Sonic Mania) among other things because it allows users to see more information of what platforms/enemies/holes are coming, if you are moving fast. And anyways, its 2017 so it would make sense to use your whole screen, almost no one uses 4:3 screens anymore.

Is there any technical difficulty for this? maybe due to keeping backwards compatibility?
I remember this being mentioned somewhere else some time ago, and it's likely due to backwards compatibility it would be happening. It would still be cool if you could use widescreen tho (Maybe make it an option you could set for a specific episode/level?)

Also, it would be really cool if, at one point, a site similar to my Level Portal idea could become part of PGE or the launcher, which would allow you to download episodes and levels directly without having to have a website open.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 am

telequillo wrote: Is there any technical difficulty for this? maybe due to keeping backwards compatibility?
Yes and yes. Lots of technical difficulty. It's been discussed among devs more technologically involved than I am, though.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 am

Snessy the duck wrote: Also, it would be really cool if, at one point, a site similar to my Level Portal idea could become part of PGE or the launcher, which would allow you to download episodes and levels directly without having to have a website open.
While we won't host games on a dedicated server, the idea of linking to the episode threads or download links from the launcher has come up in the past.
ImageImageImageImage

Amyrakunejo
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Amyrakunejo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am

telequillo wrote:Hello everyone,

Widescreen games in general tend to be more resource heavy (I know because I have some that are intended for full screen widescreen play), so there's that.

Aside from this, not everyone uses a 16:9 capable viewing device (or in some cases the widescreen ratio is actually 16:10 depending on the region), so the idea is great in theory because yes, it would be useful to see more on the screen, but at the same time it would require a higher graphical load and dump, same with sprite count (oh yeah, good ol' Windows Lockup due to sprite overload).

On that note, I wonder how well SMBX plays if one is using an HDTV as a monitor?

Return to “Archives”