SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Enjl » Sun May 06, 2018 6:37 pm

The map interpolates between pixels. Each pixel represents one tile on the map, not one pixel. Considering SMBX tiles store no information about wall edges and such, having a sudden jump without interpolation would inevitably cause clipping.
The ABC of Creation

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 am

Enjl wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:31 pm
http://horikawaotane.com/smbx/blog/2018 ... etics-2-0/
A quick look at the claims sheet or presence in codehaus on discord always always spoils the blog posts a few days in advance, but not everyone does this, so here's a recap of last week!
I know this is a work in progress but after someone else pointed out the shadows in the 3d world map look off I also noticed that myself. Just thought I would let you know in case you did not already catch this. Nice to see a few more NPC's added and the option to include more BGO's. I still suggest the final version not be released until you cram as much content into this game as you can. Make it like solid gold so people just have that "wow i'm blown away" feeling because there is just so much content they get lost in it in a good way. This is looking to be really good when finished. I like Mario Maker but the lack of content and NPC's for MM is sad and SMBX is doing a much better job at this. Still waiting to see more base game NPC's or the completion of Phanto. I know we will get there eventually and I can't wait for more dev updates.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 07, 2018 6:07 am

Teemster2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 am
I like Mario Maker but the lack of content and NPC's for MM is sad and SMBX is doing a much better job at this.
I'm completely the other way around. I think the amount of content in Mario Maker is perfect. It encourages people to think outside the box and the amount of interactions is just insane.
Teemster2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 am
I know this is a work in progress but after someone else pointed out the shadows in the 3d world map look off I also noticed that myself.
The shadows are not "off". They're demonstrating that a light source can be used to cast a shadow on the environment using map3d's heightmaps.

We have a todo list for release on the claims sheet. Once we got all of that solid, we'll release. We're not going to arbitrarily lengthen the release by finishing all the claimed NPCs.
The ABC of Creation

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Mon May 07, 2018 6:26 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:07 am
The shadows are not "off". They're demonstrating that a light source can be used to cast a shadow on the environment using map3d's heightmaps.
The light direction and ambient lighting are customisable, as is the shading style. This particular screenshot is using the cel shaded style, but it can use Lambert lighting, or no lighting. It's very easy to tweak the lighting however you like.

Also, technically there's no "shadow" casting, only direct illumination. Things are only in shadow if they're facing away from the light source, and it doesn't take into account occlusion of the light source by other objects. That is something I COULD implement, but would make things a lot more complex, take a lot of time, and will probably tank the performance.

Ditchencat
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Various freelance games.
Chat Username: Ditchen

Postby Ditchencat » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 pm
Kirby and Sonic are the duo of Most Difficult To Program Characters.
Sonic because he needs a complete rewrite of the smbx collision system for proper slope handling.
Kirby because of his vaccuum and the sheer amount of content involved with his programming.

Also, we can't like... grab code from vanilla stuff like the boot or yoshi. Not to mention the fact that these two work nothing like Kirby's abilities and would be ultra jank.

They're both possible, but don't count on them until after the full release when we have everything fundamental set up. And even then there's probably a higher chance that some non-dev makes one of them for an episode first, if at all.
Ditchencat wrote: *sigh*
You're all cats. Aren't you..

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Enjl wrote:
We have a todo list for release on the claims sheet. Once we got all of that solid, we'll release. We're not going to arbitrarily lengthen the release by finishing all the claimed NPCs.
I saw the new to do list and even saw Horikawa Otane was back on the project helping out. As for releasing the final beta before all claimed NPC's are completed well I understand that because some of the claimed NPC's may never actually be finished or completed in time but I was just pointing out that with the possibility to keep adding new content endlessly to the game means there does not need to be a final release but that's just my way of thinking.

I still think before final release a few more base game NPC's are needed but everything else is looking great. I would love to see a few more air enemies that hurt when you land on top of them. I think we only have 1 enemy that you can't land on without getting hurt. Some more Bro's and Urchin would be nice to but i'm sure i'm sounding like a broken record asking for these repeatedly. Just saying it would be nice to see a bit more variety and a few more base game enemies before release.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Enjl wrote:
I saw the new to do list and even saw Horikawa Otane was back on the project helping out. As for releasing the final beta before all claimed NPC's are completed well I understand that because some of the claimed NPC's may never actually be finished or completed in time but I was just pointing out that with the possibility to keep adding new content endlessly to the game means there does not need to be a final release but that's just my way of thinking.

I still think before final release a few more base game NPC's are needed but everything else is looking great. I would love to see a few more air enemies that hurt when you land on top of them. I think we only have 1 enemy that you can't land on without getting hurt. Some more Bro's and Urchin would be nice to but i'm sure i'm sounding like a broken record asking for these repeatedly. Just saying it would be nice to see a bit more variety and a few more base game enemies before release.
Nobody ever claimed there would be a "final release". There will be a "final beta" in the future though, which will happen before we can move over to proper version numbering. The difference will be that while there won't be guaranteed compatibility between betas, there will be guaranteed compatibility between full releases.
The ABC of Creation

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm

How would there be compatibility between full releases guaranteed, if this is not the case for betas? Like, what would be different?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm
How would there be compatibility between full releases guaranteed, if this is not the case for betas? Like, what would be different?
By full release, they would probably have sorted out all the code that is relevant to compatibility between versions. Basically in a state where such code no longer will need to be changed.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Electriking wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Taycamgame wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm
By full release, they would probably have sorted out all the code that is relevant to compatibility between versions. Basically in a state where such code no longer will need to be changed.
Exactly. Throughout the betas, we are establishing the basic systems necessary to go forward. Those will not need to be changed in significant ways once their base is sane.
The ABC of Creation

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:24 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Enjl wrote:

Nobody ever claimed there would be a "final release". There will be a "final beta" in the future though, which will happen before we can move over to proper version numbering. The difference will be that while there won't be guaranteed compatibility between betas, there will be guaranteed compatibility between full releases.

That I can understand. A Beta is more or less a test version so that makes sense that the Beta's will eventually end and then it will be full releases. Thanks for clarifying that.

ZanMan6144
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Whatever my current project is

Postby ZanMan6144 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm
ZanMan6144 wrote:Thanks, I fixed my post.
Anyway, I wasn't understood your ```but why can you move off the map's pathways?``` question, can you explain it more detailed?
It's okay, I found out I had "world freedom" checked in the level test settings.
Wait, a signature? How do you use cursive in a forum like this? :lol:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 09, 2018 6:12 pm

ZanMan6144 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:57 pm
It's okay, I found out I had "world freedom" checked in the level test settings.
Ow, Yeah! It's the cheat settings made for debug purpose. So, now you know what it is and for what it is made ;)
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

MrVaderSpino
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Spino's Journey 1.4.4(38A) Progress is 15.25% before post a Forum.
Chat Username: KingBillSeeker666

Postby MrVaderSpino » Thu May 10, 2018 4:32 am

Thats mean i currently walk to 750 Npcs including the King Bill And Expanded SMB3 Npcs then Posible Release...
Making Custom Levels Already Soon...
I Waiting in SMBX2 beta 4..
i am Currently Participating In Other Projects
My Quotes In SMBX.
GforGoomba wrote:Are you sure removing slopes is cool?
Meepyglobix wrote: DON'T SAY "Banned My Acount??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
iphtechnologies wrote:NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2.7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
Neo Super Mario World X is Expensively in largest File is 2.7GB? Are your cannot Download they because Expensive Stored in Too Many Files?
Does Having Wasting Time...

SMBX8TerrariaFan
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Still Planning...
Chat Username: Books N' Swords

Postby SMBX8TerrariaFan » Fri May 11, 2018 2:22 am

I apologize if this is redundant but why is it that some antivirus programs think that:
-SMBX2 exe is malware or infected(in the case of Avast)
-The pge_editor is considered as malware(in the case of Bitdefender)

I'm curious because when I updated PGE inside SMBX2 Beta 3(manually) Bitdefender started deleting the pge_editor.exe specifically and repeatedly.
Later on, when I checked Bitdefender, the antivirus considered that the pge_editor of SMBX Beta 3 is malware.

I'm asking why because I know that SMBX 2 Beta 3(or any other version for that matter) is not a virus

1AmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Current Project: Mega Man NPC Pack (and more)
Chat Username: IAmPlayer

Postby 1AmPlayer » Fri May 11, 2018 4:42 am

SMBX8TerrariaFan wrote: I apologize if this is redundant but why is it that some antivirus programs think that:
-SMBX2 exe is malware or infected(in the case of Avast)
-The pge_editor is considered as malware(in the case of Bitdefender)

I'm curious because when I updated PGE inside SMBX2 Beta 3(manually) Bitdefender started deleting the pge_editor.exe specifically and repeatedly.
Later on, when I checked Bitdefender, the antivirus considered that the pge_editor of SMBX Beta 3 is malware.

I'm asking why because I know that SMBX 2 Beta 3(or any other version for that matter) is not a virus
Maybe you should've just deactivate antivirus when you're trying to install SMBX.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Yet untitled.

Postby Reign » Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 am

1AmPlayer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:42 am
Maybe you should've just deactivate antivirus when you're trying to install SMBX.
This is not a good solution.

I know for a fact that there are people who just gave up on SMBX 2.0 because Norton considered it malware and deleted the exe file. There are many people can't be bothered making exceptions in the firewall settings or turning it off temporarily. This is actually a big issue if we want to make SMBX 2.0 as popular as 1.3.
Episodes released:

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 am

Reign wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 am
1AmPlayer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:42 am
This is not a good solution.

I know for a fact that there are people who just gave up on SMBX 2.0 because Norton considered it malware and deleted the exe file. There are many people can't be bothered making exceptions in the firewall settings or turning it off temporarily. This is actually a big issue if we want to make SMBX 2.0 as popular as 1.3.
Indeed it is, but I also had another issue with a similar fangame, Mariovania, just had to add it to my exceptions list before, so really, this is not a big issue, because it depends on what antivirus you are using (I use McAfee and never get this.) and what the file in question is and where it originates. I'd say this is a bit of a annoying issue.

SMBX8TerrariaFan
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Still Planning...
Chat Username: Books N' Swords

Postby SMBX8TerrariaFan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 am

Um.. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about troubles in installing SMBX2 Beta 3(I'm waiting for Beta 4 anyways)

I'm only asking if anyone has a clue or an explanation as to why some antiviruses see SMBX2 Beta 3 or PGE editor exes as malware

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 am

The exe has been hacked and some antiviruses get suspicious over that. It used to be more, but as of Beta 3 it's literally just Norton which does that.
The ABC of Creation

Return to “Archives”