SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:32 am

darkhog wrote:I have a bone to pick up with the PGE released along this version. When creating a script with Script->LunaLua Scripts->Level script it creates luna.lua which isn't processed instead of the correct lunadll.lua, which is.
We're hoping to make luna.lua the standard in the next release. Wohlstand kind of speeded ahead without confirming that luna.lua works for this release. Our bad!
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

darkhog
Rex
Rex

Postby darkhog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:38 am

I see. Though I hope you'll also keep interpretting lunadll.lua, otherwise you'll brick a lot of older episodes and levels that aren't vanilla SMBX.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 am

Yeah, backwards-compatibility will be there of course.
im a girl yo

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 am

darkhog wrote:I see. Though I hope you'll also keep interpretting lunadll.lua, otherwise you'll brick a lot of older episodes and levels that aren't vanilla SMBX.
As Spinda said, lunadll and lunaworld will continue working just fine. The main reasons for this shift are readability and execution order of the files themselves. You're free to use lunadll and lunaworld in the future, but when you get further into coding you'll notice some nasty weirdnesses that make coding for episodes more of a pain than it needs to be with the non-luna.lua system.

darkhog
Rex
Rex

Postby darkhog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Yeah, I'll probably switch to new system as soon as it comes out, but it just rubs me the wrong way that the editor creates one file and the engine needs another (like early releases of GoldSrc Hammer did).

//edit: Any chance of supporting LOOPSTART/LOOPLENGTH for OGG files so we can make OGG files that have intro and loop part? Or is it already supported?

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:17 pm

darkhog wrote:Yeah, I'll probably switch to new system as soon as it comes out, but it just rubs me the wrong way that the editor creates one file and the engine needs another (like early releases of GoldSrc Hammer did).

//edit: Any chance of supporting LOOPSTART/LOOPLENGTH for OGG files so we can make OGG files that have intro and loop part? Or is it already supported?
PGE itself (Editor and Engine) and LunaLua are using same audio library SDL Mixer X which already supports that (I implemented that myself: code to parse tags and code to jump from loop end into loop start. Supported both variants of an end: "LOOPLENGTH" and "LOOPEND").
Even you can use pre-included PGE MusPlay utility to probe your just-made music. Even I wrote a manual how to make that: http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/How_To:_Looping_music_files
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

darkhog
Rex
Rex

Postby darkhog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Cool, haven't realized this. Will need to read up more of capabilities of SDL Mixer X. Could support for Klystrack Tracker and SunVox's formats be added? They have custom playback libraries, but because they're fully procedural (no samples, unless you really need them), the files are usually only kilobytes long. Don't see these anywhere on the list of supported formats so I'm asking.

Another, unrelated question: Is PNG Alpha Channel fully supported in 2.0? I mean all 256 levels of transparency.

//edit: Suggestion: I'd like if certain number of npc/block/background object slots could be set aside for custom use - when you want to add some custom thing but don't necessarily want to replace existing one. It doesn't even have to be big amount - 5-10 per type would suffice, I think.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:28 am

PNG alpha channel is fully supported already, reserving of slots will become a thing once we got enough to work with. Last discussed was reserving npc-10000 and onwards for personal use. Same could be done for other things once we get the hooks.

Wolfexer
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Wolfexer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:50 am

Actually since 2.0 started i wanted to ask, but forgot. I tought smbx was impossible to modify cause it's not open source. PGE and 1.4 are made from scratch, but seems like 2.0 is on the same engine, how did you achieve that ? Through luna lua ?
Super Mario X. The Grand Quest
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=17289

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Wolfexer wrote:Actually since 2.0 started I wanted to ask, but forgot. I thought smbx was impossible to modify cause it's not open source. PGE and 1.4 are made from scratch, but seems like 2.0 is the same engine, how did you achieve that ? Through luna lua ?
Yes, we are used LunaLua as a core, and then embedded PGE's Editor into it with the own launcher (a code of it you can find in the LunaLua's repo). When PGE Engine will be completely implemented, SMBX 2.0 will move to it and the Legacy Engine will be finally trashed. Therefore for the nearest time, I have to focus on PGE Engine development, and I will temporary pause work on editor except for a bugfixing support.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Sambo
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Sambo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:51 pm

darkhog wrote:Okay, while doing my own world for SMBX, I've came across something that admittedly is a bug. Probably old and known one, but just in case I'll report it anyway. The bug is regarding backgrounds. If you replace some BG, say castle because you don't need one in your current level and make graphic smaller than it was previously, it will render correctly, no problem. But if you try to make it bigger than original bg, it'll clip it. I think this should be looked into and if possible fixed, because it limits my creativity regarding backgrounds (either scale it down or make it replace several backgrounds and fit like jigsaw puzzle) for few custom graphics that I need. Found a workaround, but I'd rather just draw whatever, replacing whatever background object and don't worry about the size.
I made an API that fixes this. You can find it here. All you have to do is load the API and it will do the rest. (It takes a little more work if you want to change the size of animated BGOs, though)
And you would have to have the BGOs in .PNG format.

mitja
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby mitja » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Can someone tell me how to make this work?? I have read the instructions but nothing works. I have two folders with SMBX one is named just SMBX which has smbx 1.3.0.1 inside it and one is named SMBX1.4.1 and it doesn't work the other one I created is ZSMBX and this one has SMBX 2.0 game inside it and I didn't replace a thing. When I open the SMBXLauncher and chose the option to play the episode the on the window it says smbx 1.3.01 instead of SMBX 2.0 or whatever it is meant to say. On the current episode if I choose save & quit then I choose the episode the invasion 3 beta or something like that and if my character is link all the sounds in the game will be some kid screaming only music is fine. I mean it really gives an impression of a joke game. I doesn't matter what character I chose in the invasion 3 beta episode it will always end up being link. The other two episodes seem to work fine. I've noticed there is a sound file named kyaa that sounds exactly like it so that must be it. if I launch legacy editor it's the same like when I chose play episode option it says 1.3.0.1 on top if I chose new editor then it simply launches in background. I also tried deleting all the other folders that have smbx and just leaving SMBX 2.0 folder but nothing changed.
My youtube channel
Which has mario series and other series (can be found under my interests on my profile but I also do other things).

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays

Postby loop13 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm

mitja wrote:Can someone tell me how to make this work?? I have read the instructions but nothing works. I have two folders with SMBX one is named just SMBX which has smbx 1.3.0.1 inside it and one is named SMBX1.4.1 and it doesn't work the other one I created is ZSMBX and this one has SMBX 2.0 game inside it and I didn't replace a thing. When I open the SMBXLauncher and chose the option to play the episode the on the window it says smbx 1.3.01 instead of SMBX 2.0 or whatever it is meant to say. On the current episode if I choose save & quit then I choose the episode the invasion 3 beta or something like that and if my character is link all the sounds in the game will be some kid screaming only music is fine. I mean it really gives an impression of a joke game. I doesn't matter what character I chose in the invasion 3 beta episode it will always end up being link. The other two episodes seem to work fine. I've noticed there is a sound file named kyaa that sounds exactly like it so that must be it. if I launch legacy editor it's the same like when I chose play episode option it says 1.3.0.1 on top if I chose new editor then it simply launches in background. I also tried deleting all the other folders that have smbx and just leaving SMBX 2.0 folder but nothing changed.
Are you sure that you have the third beta? You cannot patch the second beta.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

mitja
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby mitja » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 am

it is now SMBX 2.0 it works now.
My youtube channel
Which has mario series and other series (can be found under my interests on my profile but I also do other things).

MMM
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MMM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:29 am

Every time I try to extract the files, I get an error. What now?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 am

MMM wrote:Every time I try to extract the files, I get an error. What now?
What is the error?

MMM
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MMM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:46 am

It says "Unknown method in CREDITS.xls" and this happens to every file.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:54 am

What are you using to extract the files?

MMM
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MMM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 am

WinRar.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:08 am

MMM wrote:WinRar.
WinRAR, while technically having support for 7z files, is extremely unreliable at decoding them. Please use 7zip instead.

Return to “Archives”