SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:46 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:
FirestarPlays wrote:Hi, I have a bug that makes me unable to carry items and spinjump in PGE. Basically, I can't use certain controls for whatever reason. Do I need to wait for the next version, or can I fix it myself?
Firestar
Explain this in full details please! :shock:
He must be talking about the leveltesting feature. It's still in early beta and very glitchy. I suggest using the LunaTesting feature instead. It takes a bit longer to load but it works.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:55 pm

TLtimelord wrote:
NintendoOtaku93 wrote:
FirestarPlays wrote:Hi, I have a bug that makes me unable to carry items and spinjump in PGE. Basically, I can't use certain controls for whatever reason. Do I need to wait for the next version, or can I fix it myself?
Firestar
Explain this in full details please! :shock:
He must be talking about the leveltesting feature. It's still in early beta and very glitchy. I suggest using the LunaTesting feature instead. It takes a bit longer to load but it works.
LunaTester is literally the SMBX Engine. PGE Alpha Test, as the name implies, is still in Alpha. Just hit F5 and you'll load LunaTester.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Enjl wrote:LunaTester is literally the SMBX Engine. PGE Alpha Test, as the name implies, is still in Alpha. Just hit F5 and you'll load LunaTester.
Exactly. I'm still learning about PGE myself so I discovered the LunaTesting like a week ago. It's the recommended way to test.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm

It's not the recommended way, it's the only way because PGE testing is literally unfinished.
ImageImageImageImage

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: World domination

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 pm

I myself have my problem. Basically, Luatester crashes whenever I try to use it
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
Read the worst webcomic on the forums!
My greatest forum achievement:
Spoiler: show

FirestarPlays
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Super Mario and the Plague of Valerius
Chat Username: Firestar

Postby FirestarPlays » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I am using Mario and PGE tester. I will try Lunatester soon (hopefully).

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 am

FirestarPlays wrote:I am using Mario and PGE tester. I will try Lunatester soon (hopefully).
Use LunaTester instead. The PGE engine is really only experimental and has many issues so you should avoid it entirely

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah don't use the PGE engine. It's called Alpha for a reason. Eventually, that will replace SMBX 2.0 entirely - but it's a WAYS off from that.

wrldwzrd89
Goomba
Goomba

Postby wrldwzrd89 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:Yeah don't use the PGE engine. It's called Alpha for a reason. Eventually, that will replace SMBX 2.0 entirely - but it's a WAYS off from that.
Thank you for this PSA, Horikawa Otane. Very easy to get mislead into thinking PGE is stable enough for testing use when the reality is anything but.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm

It's been said like 5 times on the past page lmao
ImageImageImageImage

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 am

So seeing that 6 months has passed since the release of the current beta, should we be expecting some interesting surprises for the next beta?(I'm aware the next beta's release is in the air,but I'm only asking out of curiosity)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am

Tiger Festival wrote:So seeing that 6 months has passed since the release of the current beta, should we be expecting some interesting surprises for the next beta?(I'm aware the next beta's release is in the air,but I'm only asking out of curiosity)
Our plan for Beta 4 from the start was "catch up to 38A in terms of NPCs!"
That goal however required research about the NPC array table and modifying it to allow for numbers above 300. We're getting there, but while it's true that we've been mostly busy with other things up until now, there are some neat features added that don't directly relate to new npcs. Sorry for another really long wait between releases. If you wanna peek into what's being discussed and how things are going I suggest joining the codehaus discord. The link is in a topic here in the general forum.
ImageImageImageImage

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:05 am

Enjl wrote:
Tiger Festival wrote:So seeing that 6 months has passed since the release of the current beta, should we be expecting some interesting surprises for the next beta?(I'm aware the next beta's release is in the air,but I'm only asking out of curiosity)
That goal however required research about the NPC array table and modifying it to allow for numbers above 300. We're getting there, but while it's true that we've been mostly busy with other things up until now, there are some neat features added that don't directly relate to new npcs. Sorry for another really long wait between releases. If you wanna peek into what's being discussed and how things are going I suggest joining the codehaus discord. The link is in a topic here in the general forum.
Alright thanks for informing me. I may look into the discord now and then to see what surprises might be revealed. Also there's no reason for an apology for the wait between releases, everyone know this isn't easy to do on top of having other obligations outside of the community. So take as much time as you need to get things taken care of. The current beta has enough content to hold ppl over for years.

Anyway thanks for answering my question. Cheers!

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Enjl wrote:
I'm curious to see what's accomplished with the "catch up to 38A in terms of NPCs!" thing too.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Quantumenace
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Quantumenace » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 am

I want to use Audio.SfxPlayObj but it keeps randomly freezing the game. I know it's a new feature, is that being worked on?

Edit: It just freezes like this, it looks like it's far more likely when all the sound channels are being used. This is what happens when I use this with a fairly short ~0.8 sec or so sound loaded to "sndchunk":

Code: Select all

sndchunk = Audio.SfxOpen("rocketloop.ogg")
counter = 0

function onCameraUpdate()

snd = Audio.SfxPlayObj(sndchunk, 0)
if snd:IsPlaying() then counter = counter + 1 end
Text.print(counter,0,0)

end
The number of sounds successfully played before it freezes appears random.

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:08 pm

What's the progress with the
Enjl wrote:Our plan for Beta 4 from the start was "catch up to 38A in terms of NPCs!"
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 am

Quantumenace wrote:I want to use Audio.SfxPlayObj but it keeps randomly freezing the game. I know it's a new feature, is that being worked on?

Edit: It just freezes like this, it looks like it's far more likely when all the sound channels are being used. This is what happens when I use this with a fairly short ~0.8 sec or so sound loaded to "sndchunk":

sndchunk = Audio.SfxOpen("rocketloop.ogg")
counter = 0

function onCameraUpdate()

snd = Audio.SfxPlayObj(sndchunk, 0)
if snd:IsPlaying() then counter = counter + 1 end
Text.print(counter,0,0)

end
The number of sounds successfully played before it freezes appears random.
Your mistake you calling SfxPlayObj every loop! You have to spawn lots of copies of same sound player, and causing memory overflow!
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Quantumenace
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Quantumenace » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 am

Wohlstand wrote: Your mistake you calling SfxPlayObj every loop! You have to spawn lots of copies of same sound player, and causing memory overflow!
What?! I was just giving an easy example of it always freezing. It has a low chance of freezing in my level even though there's only one of that sound playing at any time. I had a really hard time isolating it. Using Audio.playSFX(string fileName) doesn't freeze even if I spam it lke this.

Are you saying that the obj variable leaks memory unless I destroy the struct somehow? I thought garbage collection handled that.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 am

Quantumenace wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: Your mistake you calling SfxPlayObj every loop! You have to spawn lots of copies of same sound player, and causing memory overflow!
What?! I was just giving an easy example of it always freezing. It has a low chance of freezing in my level even though there's only one of that sound playing at any time. I had a really hard time isolating it. Using Audio.playSFX(string fileName) doesn't freeze even if I spam it lke this.

Are you saying that the obj variable leaks memory unless I destroy the struct somehow? I thought garbage collection handled that.
It's hard to diagnose the issue without looking at your actual code.

See, I'm pretty sure that SfxPlayObj doesn't itself crash the game, as various 2.0 characters such as Zelda make use of it. In this case, I'm not too surprised that spamming it like this causes issues, but its hard to relate that to your actual usage.

Quantumenace
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Quantumenace » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 pm

if loopvolume > 0 then
		if rocketloopsoundobj == nil or rocketloopsoundobj:IsPlaying() == false then
			rocketloopsoundobj = Audio.SfxPlayObj(rocketloopsound, -1)
		end
		rocketloopsound.volume = loopvolume*40
	elseif rocketloopsoundobj ~= nil and rocketloopsoundobj:IsPlaying() then
		rocketloopsoundobj:Stop(); rocketloopsoundobj = nil
	end
It runs on onCameraUpdate(). That is the only part of the code that references the function. But I'm pretty certain it isn't my code's fault because:

If I place a bunch of shell cannons to spam sound in the channels, type speeddemon, and mash whatever button is responsible for triggering said function (attack button for megaman and mushroom-broadsword, tanooki for zelda) it eventually freezes. It sometimes takes hundreds of presses. There is no other custom Lua code in this test area.

Edit: Megaman is the easiest to make freeze, because his charge sound starts quickly and has no cooldown.

Return to “Archives”