The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

Postby Valtteri » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:15 am

Supershroom wrote:I've also been told that 50 levels are done already. Does that mean ~150 levels are being planned?
I don't remember saying there were 50 levels. I might have as that was the count before we dropped a bunch of levels. The current count is 37, out of the planned 98. The plan may still change obviously.

Fuyu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: Super Mario Fantasy
Chat Username: take a guess

Postby Fuyu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:50 am

So, in turn, TI3 will be released around 7 years later. jk

To be honest I'm glad you people haven't dropped this yet considering we're kinda pressuring you all with progress on the episode, date of release, etc. I wish you good luck. I might even start using SMBX if I enjoy this, though the odds of that happening are near null.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:06 pm

How is the deadline of 2017 going to be met at the current pace when after two years of this thread being up only 1/3 of the planned levels are done? I have some people telling me that progress is at a stand still, and one other saying they made a few levels. Also what's with all the hush talk, like the project is confidential business? Other projects don't have this problem, what makes this so special?

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:35 pm

You are making a way too big of a deal out of this AeroMatter.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Good answer.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 am

I think it'd be cool if you gave a proper answer to his first question. Dodging to give any information on the project's progress isn't exactly reassuring to everyone excited for it.
The ABC of Creation

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 am

What you all need to realize is that they are all doing this because they want to. For free. This is not a job, this is for fun, so please stop pressuring them to get this done right away. There is no set deadline, it will be finished when it's finished. Constantly asking how much progress is done and calling the designers lazy is just rude and unnecessary.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:47 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:What you all need to realize is that they are all doing this because they want to. For free. This is not a job, this is for fun, so please stop pressuring them to get this done right away. There is no set deadline, it will be finished when it's finished. Constantly asking how much progress is done and calling the designers lazy is just rude and unnecessary.
The only thing pressuring the designers to get this done right away is the big "2017" at the end of Valtteri's video which, at this rate, does nothing but disappoint by promising something the team can't meet. There are a number of smarter approaches which could've been done, but I'm not here to discuss marketing and proper hype buildup for a project which, judging from your post, doesn't need it.
The ABC of Creation

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:53 am

Does it really matter if it's done by 2017? Again, this is a project for fun. Nobody is being paid to design levels for this. If it's not done by 2017, then it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:56 am

You don't know what the rate of our progress is, Enjl.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:Does it really matter if it's done by 2017? Again, this is a project for fun. Nobody is being paid to design levels for this. If it's not done by 2017, then it shouldn't be the end of the world.
In terms of managing hype and buildup for this project, it does matter since the year was brought up. If hype and popularity aren't something this project is aiming for, which is what you're suggesting, there is no reason to keep it stickied.
Yes, I realise this is a project for fun, but so is literally every other project on this forum. "Being made for fun" is no excuse for dodging criticism. In this case, regarding the announcement of 2017 which sooner or later turns out to be a lie and makes people suspicious of further announcements.
It won't be the end of the world, but it's a dent which could've been easily avoided.
The ABC of Creation

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:04 pm

What dent? This is literally being blown way out of proportion. Again, this is a project for fun. This isn't criticism either, it's people unnecessesarily complaining about the project not being done when they want it done.

SMBX isn't a job, it is a hobby. You guys really need to stop taking this so seriously.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Criticism? I've only asked questions and brought the rate at which this is being done into question. 1/3 of the levels are done after two years with the current pace. Other level designers have asked similar questions pages back and they didn't get good answers either. Every other project is upfront and direct with progress and some even give percentages to go along with it. Why is this not the case here, and why are designers not supposed to talk about anything TI3 related because of "higher authorities?"

These aren't complaints, they're questions. I'm not demanding the project be done by a date.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm gonna agree with Aeromatter and Enjl here.
Two months ago I was part of the LD team, so I have a kind of idea about what's the real progress and how do they "work" on this.

I won't call the Level Designers lazy because I know they have better things to do, they may lost the interest of this and they aren't forced to keep working on this. But imo the fault of the lack or progress is Valtteri. Since he went to the Armada the project has been frozen (two years, almost three because Christmas is near), when he wanted to make the project alive again, it was too late, the Level Designers lost the interest on this and it's understandeable. But let's forget the past, let's focus on how this project could be alive again. Valtteri COULD make some changes like let join new members or ask people to contribute with their levels and decide if they will be accepted or not (I mean make a "real" community project). There are sore ways to make this active again but he just keeps trying to work with an inactive team (just look around and tell me how many LDs still even visit the forum). Valtteri, sorry for being a headache for you, it was not really my intention annoy and cause some problems here, I know you may have better things to do, but please, you need to make some changes here or at least clarify all the misunderstandings, if the project keeps so, it won't lead to anything.
ZeldaMaster12 wrote:For fun
I think we all know this was made "for fun" and the LDs aren't forced to contribute with this, but is it necessary keep this sticked and make people believe there's a real progress on this? Just look some comments above, people is "hyped" for a thing that probably never will be finished. Also this project could be easily active if Valtteri make some changes, so I'm not asking something impossible or really difficult to do. In my opinion the problem problem here is that people (newcomers specially) are still paying attention to this, without know what's the current situation.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Lx Xzit wrote:I'm gonna agree with Aeromatter and Enjl here.
Two months ago I was part of the LD team, so I have a kind of idea about what's the real progress and how do they "work" on this.

I won't call the Level Designers lazy because I know they have better things to do, they may lost the interest of this and they aren't forced to keep working on this. But imo the fault of the lack or progress is Valtteri. Since he went to the Armada the project has been frozen (two years, almost three because Christmas is near), when he wanted to make the project alive again, it was too late, the Level Designers lost the interest on this and it's understandeable. But let's forget the past, let's focus on how this project could be alive again. Valtteri COULD make some changes like let join new members or ask people to contribute with their levels and decide if they will be accepted or not (I mean make a "real" community project). There are sore ways to make this active again but he just keeps trying to work with an inactive team (just look around and tell me how many LDs still even visit the forum). Valtteri, sorry for being a headache for you, it was not really my intention annoy and cause some problems here, I know you may have better things to do, but please, you need to make some changes here or at least clarify all the misunderstandings, if the project keeps so, it won't lead to anything.
ZeldaMaster12 wrote:For fun
I think we all know this was made "for fun" and the LDs aren't forced to contribute with this, but is it necessary keep this sticked and make people believe there's a real progress on this? Just look some comments above, people is "hyped" for a thing that probably never will be finished. Also this project could be easily active if Valtteri make some changes, so I'm not asking something impossible or really difficult to do. In my opinion the problem problem here is that people (newcomers specially) are still paying attention to this, without know what's the current situation.
I'm sorry but you don't have a clue what you're talking about. You were a level designer for a good while but you've still managed to form a totally false understanding of its state. It's far from dead. All the people currently in the group responded to a PM I sent a month ago that they are interested to continue working. 16 levels have been made since I got out of the army (41% of the total levels at the moment). Five levels were made in the past two months and two levels were made just this week. I was saving the screenshots for later but I will post them here.

Image Image

Additionally, Red Yoshi and I have been working on the world map and Switch Palaces in the past week.

This isn't a community project and don't tell me that it should be. This was tried and the result was a mess. We're doing this in the same fashion as The Great Castle Adventure 2.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I still don't know what the issue is. Are you guys strictly concerned about the deadline not being accurate?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:01 pm

I think releasing a demo at some time could help, if that's possible.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Valtteri wrote:It's far from dead. All the people currently in the group responded to a PM I sent a month ago that they are interested to continue working. 16 levels have been made since I got out of the army
Thanks for clarifying my misunderstandings! This is what I wanted to hear.
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Joey wrote:I still don't know what the issue is. Are you guys strictly concerned about the deadline not being accurate?
Progress and how the deadline would be met is basically the core of what I was asking.
Valtteri wrote:All the people currently in the group responded to a PM I sent a month ago that they are interested to continue working. 16 levels have been made since I got out of the army (41% of the total levels at the moment). Five levels were made in the past two months and two levels were made just this week.
That's all I wanted to hear. Now that you clarified the progress being made, 2017 sounds like a reasonable deadline now since you're at a rate of being almost halfway done instead of 1/3 of the way there after a long time. Thanks.
Supershroom wrote:I think releasing a demo at some time could help, if that's possible.
Either that or progress percentages like other projects do so screenshots don't always have to be posted.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Idk whether or not I should play the role of kiss-ass or devil's advocated...I'LL DO BOTH!!!!! I'LL EVEN OFFER SOLUTIONS THAT SHOULD TOTES BE CUNSIDERD GUYZ!!!!! (pretty sure you should use common sense to deduce which ones you should believe are serious).

For the role of kiss-ass, I must say this (and it has been said miilionz of timezes); SMBX is just a hobby for people, and no offense, but no major things have happened between SMBX 1.2 and SMBX 1.3 that really constitute a whole-new episode. Yes, there were some cool additions like extended powerups for the characters and some more bosses, but apart from that, there were no new blocks, no new mechanics added to the game (was the "no more objects in layer" added in 1.2 or 1.3?) that really made it stand out. It was relatively similar to 1.2, which actually had a shit ton of updates that greatly expanded the game's usability compared to 1.1: custom graphics, custom music, more powerups, more bosses, more blocks. That was a good reason for making TI2; it demonstrated the massive changes and additions made to the game since 1.1 that exponentially added to the customization. Now, 2.0 is going to be a hell of an amazing update (don't know if TI3 will use any new features of it. I know Valtteri said no LunaLua, but I'm not 100% certain that will stick with 2.0's increasing usability), but I really doubt that 2.0, in its current state, is going to be the go-to for an SMBX download (which is fine in all honesty).
Solution: Stop bitching about when this project is released. Encourage others to join into the project and get their lazy asses off of the park bench. we can also sitz back and relaxes and continue to bitch at teh levl desinurz bc dat is motivatin, rite?

Now for me to take Devil's Advocate; a very rough deadline was posted about this project, and while I have no doubts that, if the entire team cracked down on the project, it would be done and tested for any issues by the date of release. If we are all going to be honest here, what Aero and Enjil say is rather valid; it's been a good two years since this project was posted, and so far the only person who seems to be sharing any progress whatsoever is Valtteri, and he certainly can't carry this entire project on his back. I don't know what the other's are doing, but guyz, if you can't exactly dedicate a lot of time to this (let's face it; this project is real demanding with its quality), you probably should not be a level designer for it, plain and simple. I'm not calling anyone lazy, but again, I feel that the only people who should work on this project should be those who have a genuine passion for making levels.
Solution: have meh, vals, sm6.999999, and a bunch of other peeps work on dis pruject, fire everyone, establish Hitler's Reign 2.0, and delete system32. Hire more people to work on the levels but keep the quality control.

Return to “Archives”