Swearing

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Swearing

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Layla wrote:I already asked for the swearing topic to end somewhere else. If it starts up again (unless we want to bring up an entire topic about and keep it civil then I'm fine), I will hand out warnings.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea

Anyways, swearing.
Most of us are fine with it, but those who aren't, like myself, either avoid swearing entirely or use these loopholes:

1. Censoring the word
2. Using other words (like What the Fudge)

But as shown in other places in the forums, people don't seem to like this. Example: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... &start=300

So what do you think of all this? Post your opinions here :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Re: Swearing

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:42 pm

We've had these kinds of topics many times, and the answer has always ended pretty much the same: no censorship.

If you want to attempt to have a discussion over this, be my guest. I'll be sitting cozy indoors while you play in the cold.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Bomber57 wrote:We've had these kinds of topics many times, and the answer has always ended pretty much the same: no censorship.

If you want to attempt to have a discussion over this, be my guest. I'll be sitting cozy indoors while you play in the cold.
Er, thanks? I'd like to see one of these "other topics"
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I honestly hate crnsorships. Censoring is kinda immature just don't do it then. Tooo bad people don't grow up here.

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm pretty sure one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not swear" actually. :P
Not really of course.
Last edited by Mivixion on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Fuck it, I got nothing better to do.
Praesidium wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not swear" actually.
Quick Google search says otherwise (read: no).
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't have a problem with swearing (excluding the 10 year olds who curse like a sailor to look badass).

TangledLion
Spike
Spike

Postby TangledLion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Meh, I get mildly annoyed when I see swearing, But I feel it is a personal thing to decide weather or not to do so. My personal policy is to not swear, but substitutions are OK(EG "Crap" instead of "$***") it's a matter of principal for me. Now sometimes I avoid things that contain EXCESSIVE swearing, this is why I don't watch PewDiePie, and never really got into TAoK.
Praesidium wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not swear" actually.
Please tell me you said that as a joke...
Seriously, Sometimes I think people know more about LINK'S religion than mine...
I'll be honest, I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back here...

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I was joking, but in a serious way. Its a good thing to live by.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Praesidium wrote:I was joking, but in a serious way. Its a good thing to live by.
I uh...

Alright, alright, I am gonna explain how I feel on these kinds of things.

When people act sarcastic or appear very serious and then when they are called out on it and attempt to justify it by saying they were only joking (and then, even worse, saying they were still serious) it really ticks me off. On top of that, you had the gall to fucking act like some sort of a holy figure who is teaching virtues to us unclean, primitive, and savage peasent-folk.

I may be throwing this one out of the park here but come the hell on, this is NOT okay.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah, didn't seem like he was joking.

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:14 pm

This is the internet. Tone and attitude are hard to detect through simple words. If you feel that way, maybe you should try to listen for the tone that they indicate in the given context.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Praesidium wrote:This is the internet. Tone and attitude are hard to detect through simple words. If you feel that way, maybe you should try to listen for the tone that they indicate in the given context.
Explain to me how someone can see tone and body language WHEN THEY ARE READING WORDS ON A SCREEN. Context or no context, you can't fucking expect people to understand sarcasm unless you are being reaaally obvious about it.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:16 pm

By the way you put it, it looked serious and there was no indication that you were joking. It's not hard to make something serious into a joke, even on the internet.

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:17 pm

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. Anyway, people come from different cultures with different values and beliefs. I for one do not like swearing. Live how you want. Its just my two cents.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:19 pm

BACK ON TOPIC
So obviously you guys don't seem to like censorship over text in a serious way, but what about when it's meant to be funny?

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Turtwig wrote:So obviously you guys don't seem to like censorship over text in a serious way, but what about when it's meant to be funny?
How can censorship be funny?

I'm sorry but that may or may not be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
previously known as Kep

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Like in Edge of Tomorrow.

Holy FU-
*dies*
*day starts over*

TangledLion
Spike
Spike

Postby TangledLion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't mind censorship, I do it all the time, at least IRL, If I stub my toe I break out into Gibberish, it can be entertaining.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back here...

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Swearing is part of my everyday vocabulary but how those words came to be "bad" is something I don't really know. They're words, and although some can be hurtful if said in the wrong way, most of the time they're used as exclamations or something other.

There is one "swear" which I'm curious of how it came about as one since it's a name, but dick is pretty interesting because you don't have to censor it because it's not a swear, it's a name. "You're a dick." "Which one, Dick Cheney? Who are we talking about here."

Furthermore censoring your swears does absolutely nothing, and coming up with the weak excuse of "I don't like saying that word out loud", you're not technically saying anything, just typing text, which is in turn, pixels, which is transferred into invisible data waves, which is then transferred to the forum's servers, which in turn processes the pixels into text which is then visible on a monitor that projects photo images into your head. You aren't actually hearing sound waves, so you aren't saying anything!

So here's your homework for today; why do you not like "saying" these words, especially if you aren't even saying them in the first place. And if you don't like "saying" them, why bother mentioning and using them if you just censor them in the first place?
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Return to “Archives”