Page 10 of 21

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 am
by Zipper
166. Unfair levels will make people hate you faster than you can say "IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO"

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 am
by Angelus
Should all the enemies from the stage be introduced before the checkpoint, or it's ok to introduce new enemies/ideas after that? Also, how many different enemies should be placed into a stage before it gets "all over the place"?

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 am
by Valtteri
Angelus wrote:Should all the enemies from the stage be introduced before the checkpoint, or it's ok to introduce new enemies/ideas after that? Also, how many different enemies should be placed into a stage before it gets "all over the place"?
You can have new enemies after the Checkpoint. I don't see a problem in this. How many different enemies should you have? I would say pick two or three per level. If your level has different areas, say, an underground room, you can change the set for that area to have Buzzy Beetles instead of Goombas for instance. If your level has "special" enemies like Lakitus or Hammer Brothers I think it's fine to have them as a fourth type of enemies as they're more rare.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:47 am
by Radiance
167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:46 am
by Enjl
Afraid of the Heights wrote:167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.
Why avoid the less obnoxious one?

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:15 am
by Radiance
Enjl wrote:
Afraid of the Heights wrote:167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.
Why avoid the less obnoxious one?
Which is "the less obnoxious one", stacked Goombas or stacked Shy Guys?

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:51 am
by Enjl
Afraid of the Heights wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Afraid of the Heights wrote:167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.
Why avoid the less obnoxious one?
Which is "the less obnoxious one", stacked Goombas or stacked Shy Guys?
The one you're telling people to avoid.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:15 am
by MECHDRAGON777
Enjl wrote:
Afraid of the Heights wrote:167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.
Why avoid the less obnoxious one?
(Unless you make them have "NPCblocktop=1" then) it serves no point except to have multiple health and massive score/life income. AS for Shyguys, they have "NPCblocktop=1" by default.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:52 am
by Radiance
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Afraid of the Heights wrote:167. Avoid stacked Goombas, but in some cases, stacked Shy Guys is a great idea.
Why avoid the less obnoxious one?
(Unless you make them have "NPCblocktop=1" then) it serves no point except to have multiple health and massive score/life income. AS for Shyguys, they have "NPCblocktop=1" by default.
Well, getting multiple lives in stacked NPCs is sometimes annoying. :roll:

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:46 am
by Mable
If you stack only 4 at a time and have the next npc be something else you don't get infinite lives..

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 am
by Radiance
Tinkerbell wrote:If you stack only 4 at a time and have the next npc be something else you don't get infinite lives..
Oh, sorry for that.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:40 am
by underFlo
Also lives are pretty irrelevant anyway.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:50 am
by ShadowStarX
Spinda wrote:Also lives are pretty irrelevant anyway.
Well, not really if the level is 15 minutes long but has like 4 checkpoints.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:51 am
by Mable
I think Spinda was talking more about Sinlge standalone levels. Of course a real Episode is something different.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 am
by HVMetal
Afraid of the Heights wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:If you stack only 4 at a time and have the next npc be something else you don't get infinite lives..
Oh, sorry for that.
Wow, I tought you were talking about this:
Spoiler: show

Video by bossedit8

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:17 am
by Electriking
168: Mainly for episodes and based on an earlier post about the annoyance of tracking down missing stars, because of this, you should create a level at the end of each world to show the stars that have been collected on that world (if stars are used in each level), so players know where to look if they desire 100%ing the game and/or looking to progress down a path that requires more stars than they have. I know Airship Attack 2 does this.

169: Also episode exclusive but if you have a large world map then add a few shortcuts so it is easier to get around the so players don't have to travel long distances to travel between earlier and later levels.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 pm
by Enjl
King of Eterity wrote:168: Mainly for episodes and based on an earlier post about the annoyance of tracking down missing stars, because of this, you should create a level at the end of each world to show the stars that have been collected on that world (if stars are used in each level), so players know where to look if they desire 100%ing the game and/or looking to progress down a path that requires more stars than they have. I know Airship Attack 2 does this.
Image
Alternatively you can show it when on the level space ^^

Anyways, what King of Eterity said doesn't justify putting stupid secret exits in your level. Make them reasonable and add something to the level that isn't frustration.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:21 pm
by Electriking
Enjl wrote:
King of Eterity wrote: Image
Alternatively you can show it when on the level space ^^
Wouldn't that require LunaLua? And I don't understand where it shows the star counter.

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 pm
by Enjl
Bottom center and yes

Re: Level Design Tips

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:45 pm
by ShadowStarX
Just a random advise:
You should never make your level cheat-proof. You should make the player not want to cheat.