Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Official community level contests.
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 3 & 4

Postby RoundPiplup » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:21 pm

A random review wrote:Quill: 4.2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ygE01sOhzz0
Wunt dod I wotch jst nuw.

Though it fits in a way.

QUOTE OF THIS VIDEO:
Spoiler: show
WHAT HAVE I DONE!? *mumbles* MY BRAINZ ARE GOING INTO MY FEET!
Last edited by RoundPiplup on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Past still haunts me.

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:38 pm

as303298 wrote:Well I am pretty experienced and I never give it my all. If I did, I could make it to Top 10 at least. But whats the fun if the veterans steal the spotlight. Afterall, I am perfectly content with just providing new ideas to use in levels.
Valtteri wrote:63. as303298 - Level 5-3 (4.39/10)
Placing 63rd really IS an innovative idea.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dollarluigi
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: TBA
Chat Username: Rehncohro

Postby Dollarluigi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, shoot. Seems I did a bit worse this time. Oh, well. I'll try again in one of the next ones.
I have no idea what's going on half the time.

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Reddit deviantArt

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:
A random review wrote:Quill: 4.2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ygE01sOhzz0
Wunt dod I wotch jst nuw.

Though it fits in a way.

QUOTE OF THIS VIDEO:
WHAT HAVE I DONE!? *mumbles* MY BRAINZ ARE GOING INTO MY FEET!
I think Quill was showing he has the same reaction as used in that movie to that level!

ImageImageImage

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:36 pm

I find it amusing that I am new but did know how to edit levels.
I will wish best wishes to everyone's level that wasn't between Tiers 1-4.
The pretty good tiers would seem to be like meaning that this will get interesting.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

CraftedPbody
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Luigi's Mushroom Tour & a Quest of Eggs

Postby CraftedPbody » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:49 pm

I don't appear to be in tiers 1-4... DID I ACTUALLY DO GOOD?!? Image
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

[rimg]http://38.media.tumblr.com/4b3b8c5d36a2 ... o1_400.gif[/rimg]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UYw ... JMFa0/edit

My Project:
(Currently being revised, Updates Soon!)
I support:
ImageImage

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:54 pm

CraftedPbody wrote:I don't appear to be in tiers 1-4... DID I ACTUALLY DO GOOD?!? Image
I've seen screens of your levels. Contest newbies like you, witchking666, and Man1234FK I expected to do fairly well at least.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:22 pm

I know I did well.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:44 pm

tfw valtteri and chad gave me a lower score than nien's 20 second mouser level

Edit: i've been told that there's no judging rubric.
what the fuck, valtteri.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Woah. How did I just get bumped up from tier 2 to tier 3?!

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 1, TIERS 2, TIERS... :P

Postby RoundPiplup » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Cosmik wrote:Woah. How did I just get bumped up from tier 2 to tier 3?!
Subject: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! (TOPIC 1)
Valtteri wrote:Here's tiers 3 and 4. Notice that I rearranged the tiers to correspond what they will be in Tower of Biased 10. Some levels from the end of tier 1 moved to tier 2, some moved from tier 2 to 3.
My opinion(reason) is probably because tier 1 and 2 had more levels than what tier 3 and 4 would have... So yeah.
The Past still haunts me.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 pm

For some reason I couldn't reply on the other thread ;-;

Anyway, I'm surprised I got this far cuz I just submitted an old level :U
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Postby Man1234FK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:13 am

TNTtimelord wrote:I've seen screens of your levels. Contest newbies like you, witchking666, and Man1234FK I expected to do fairly well at least.
Thanks dude! :D
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 am

Man1234FK wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote:I've seen screens of your levels. Contest newbies like you, witchking666, and Man1234FK I expected to do fairly well at least.
When did TNTtimelord say that?

ImageImageImage

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Man1234FK wrote:
When did TNTtimelord say that?
Look back on page 3.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 am

Thank you Castlewar!

@Quill: if I include a readme.html in my update just for the tower, would that help it be required for 100%

ImageImageImage

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 am

Ace wrote:tfw valtteri and chad gave me a lower score than nien's 20 second mouser level

what the fuck, valtteri.
You're not seriously defending your level, right? No one was able to beat it. It wasn't awful but we're still going to rate a level we can complete in a reasonable amount of time higher than a level that we, well, can't. There's a reason why I warned people to not submit very hard levels in the first post. If we tried to complete the hardest levels spending hours retrying them the judging process would take forever. Instead we'll just score them low because the truth is the frustration takes a lot from the enjoyability factor.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 am

Valtteri wrote:
Ace wrote:tfw valtteri and chad gave me a lower score than nien's 20 second mouser level

what the fuck, valtteri.
You're not seriously defending your level, right? No one was able to beat it. It wasn't awful but we're still going to rate a level we can complete in a reasonable amount of time higher than a level that we, well, can't. There's a reason why I warned people to not submit very hard levels in the first post. If we tried to complete the hardest levels spending hours retrying them the judging process would take forever. Instead we'll just score them low because the truth is the frustration takes a lot from the enjoyability factor.
Unless the judge takes a few hours to beat it and still enjoys it, but that rarely happens!

ImageImageImage

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Valtteri wrote:

what the fuck, valtteri.
Unless the judge takes a few hours to beat it and still enjoys it, but that rarely happens!
To be honest the longer it takes to beat a level, the less they enjoy it.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 am

Tiers 5 and 6.

Tier 5 Places 46-53
53. Turtwig - Shell Surfin' Fortress (5.31/10)
  • Bomber57 (4.25/10)
    • This was a nice little shell surfing challenge. Only complaint was the last one at the end of the checkpoint room. You have to get on the shell facing left, but for whatever absolutely retarded reason you can't get on the rainbow shell if you are facing the left. Its hard enough with the volcano lotus below your runway. The boss was nothing special, and I'm disappointed you didn't have to beat it with shell surfing.
    bossedit8 (5.0/10)
    • Shellride type level. This was actually a nice shellride level even if there's almost nothing going on along your path but even for that it was still interesting. This shellride level wasn't hard to beat and everything was done very well but there were some objects that are useless to have in this level like the roto-disk inside the lava and a para-koopa going up. Not much to say otherwise since it's just shellsurfing on lava and be quick to realize at the far side of the screen as of what's going on. After that you get to the boss which is DJ Koopa. Easy once you know how it's done.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • This shell-surfing level is... actually reasonable. I don't see that very often. The course is smooth enough that the player can anticipate what to do, the level's short enough that deaths aren't especially punishing, you get plenty of places to rest and recover, and the level has clever ways to make you retrace previous paths without it getting overly complicated. The boss is fairly interesting as well, as it's a creative way to use switches to damage him. The Paratroopa generator is infrequent enough that it doesn't get too stressful, as the Roto-disc is already pretty effective as a hazard. The level's gimmick does come at the cost of complexity though, as it makes the level a simple linear run for the most part. The lava surfaces should stay simple, but I think the castle's structure overall could have been a bit more detailed and interesting rather than looking mostly flat, and maybe you could have had some platforming and enemy evasion in between shell rides to provide some variety. Still, very good job on making a shell-surfing course that's actually intuitive and a uniquely fun boss afterwards, that's much appreciated.
    Quill (4.8/10)
    • Well, this was a thing. Shell surfing is uncommon, so it was nice to see it as the main feature of the level, but it was used pretty basically. I suppose I should be thankful, since really crazy shell surfin levels can be dumb. The boss didn't really have anything to do with the gimmick and the koopa took too long to respawn. Other than that, it was also pretty easy.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • I think this level makes decent use of the Rainbow Shell. The level's aestethics need work. Add some decoration like pillars and lanterns. The boss is maybe a bit too easy. You have to dodge the Roto-disc while throwing a shell upwards at a switch and you can pretty much do that in a specific pattern where you just jump repeatedly and you won't hit the Roto-disc. A Koopa spawns sometimes for if you lose the shell. Maybe increase the spawn rate so you have to dodge a Koopa like once in 6 seconds? Make the left wall open so the Koopas don't get stuck in the room and flood it.
52. Frozen Boo - This Level Has Ice Physics (5.53/10)
  • Bomber57 (3.0/10)
    • The level provides challenge and remains mostly fair about it. There are a few instances where I feel things were placed just to screw the player over, like a few of the bullet bills or the low lava ceiling. The checkpoint could've been a little earlier because of the difficulty. The lava drops falling from the sky in the cloud section was cool, but remember to make the axes invisible when you are done playtesting if you wanted invisible triggers.
    bossedit8 (6.75/10)
    • I went into a lava-based area, has rocks and lava on it's way and there were no ice-physics what so ever... misleading title! I do kinda like this level like how what you did with the lava formations sometimes but sometimes your enemy placements were kinda mean like those bullet bills, banzai bills and podoboos including in a narrowed space at the inside cave area. Also there was a short way inside the cave area filled with lava where it's a dead end with no reward what so ever... why is it there? Some jumps were kinda difficult to accross though. We also have falling podoboos coming from the ceiling which is nice but once you actually kill one their death effect isn't right since you can actually see that they're replacing SMB3 red cheep-cheeps. There's 2 ways you can get to the halfway point like there's 2 paths to choose but it seems that once you get very close to the halfway point it lacks enemies at the bottom of the area and the top area you can dodge those falling generating podoboos very easily. After the halfway you see a wall of SMB axes as they're triggering events once you hit one. They're supposed to be invisible ingame but apparently they aren't. Once you trigger the axe there's a lava drop from the ceiling of the screen falling down and that only once. There's multiple ones on top of that and everyone acts differently which is ok to nice. At the last section there's a lakitu, some enemies and such and there's your star that you can easily die once you have great momentum. Also this level can be easily crashed with a run-time error 9 - subscript out of range once a mushroom power up fall into the lava at the near end of the level.
    Chad (7.0/10)
    • Yes, I suppose it does. Oh man look at all that ice, I'm slipping and sliding all over the place. ...All right, I suppose I can't review this without admitting it's a lava level, so I might as well spoil the surprise. Anyway, this is quite a hard level, but mostly in really good and interesting ways. The level is littered with volcano-themed enemies and strategic Bullet Bill placements, keeping you on your toes even in the more standard areas. I really like how you arranged platforms and lava to create a lot of tricky close calls and encourage a lot of careful thought from the player. It was a bit much at times, like in places where you had to duck to narrowly avoid the extremely low lava ceiling, but it's still doable, just requires a lot of caution. Excellent use is also made of Podoboo placements in order to make players walk precisely between narrowly but clearly-defined safe zones, and I like the falling lava masses which have a very cinematic quality to them. The design is very careful and deliberate without being overboard, and it really makes the level thrilling. A level with this length and difficulty really needs more than 3 total powerups, though.
    Quill (5.9/10)
    • You lied! This is a lava level!!! It's a pretty decent one too. You tried some interesting mechanics such as the lava falling down when you reach a certain spot. I get the impression you are still learning the editor, so keep working with it and polishing up everything. The level does get a bit heavy with enemy spam, such as with the bullet bills, at times.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • And it's a lava level. Of course. It's mediocre at best. It's decently designed and the visuals are all right. You forgot to make the Axes that trigger the falling lava invisible. Speaking of that, the last chunk of falling lava unfairly covers the entire platform the player would be standing on as it falls. Impossible reflexes are required from the player as the only way to dodge the lava is to not jump, and most of the time the player has already begun the jump when they touch the axes.
51. dragonfan96 - Volcanic Panic (5.72/10)
  • Bomber57 (5.75/10)
    • The level was kinda nice, but had a lot of unfair parts to it. One example being on the first skull raft ride a lot of the enemies were placed at the very edge of the platforms the raft goes under, meaning that when you have to go on top you are most likely going to be hit by that enemy. A lot of the skull rafts I feel are supposed to be stationary but wound up moving when I jumped on them. Enemy placement also tended to just be lines of dry bones and dry goombas, which is boring and difficult. The rising lava section started the player a little too close to the lava for my liking and gives you a slim window for getting to higher ground at the start. Also what was up with the weird psychological phrases the level spewed at me at the end?
    bossedit8 (5.25/10)
    • Volcano level which seems to be filled with a lot of coins apparently. This level was really nice and I do like what you did with the multiple skull raft platforms that are going left and you have to be fast in order to jump over a pit of lava. Sometimes I feel that you put way too many power ups like at the beginning and at the midway but that's actually good for 2 players which is sadly rarely on the use. What I personally don't like is the secret and that is that there is a lavafall where you have to physically enter via door in order to get to the secret star of this level. At the end the message tells you about it but even then it's kinda confusing since for the first time players, you don't really know where the secrets are and also for whatever reason, the message trigger are on those '?' blocks at the very end aswell which is very strange. At the area where you have to get away from the lava due to an erruption, at the beginning you have to react to that very fast or else you die very quickly and also there's a chance that you can crash this level with a run-time error 9 - subscript out of range message once the 1UP falls into lava after you open it from a block.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • Pretty nice volcanic level. The structure is simple in execution, but has a pretty nice arrangement of lava pits and clever skull raft setups, where they're usually either backwards-moving stepping stones or require you to follow them while traversing land above. However, it'd be better to not have enemies consistently right at the edge of the solid ground following each ride, but it's manageable. Enemies overall are good, but an excess of Goombas makes getting around them feel cluttered. I like the platform arrangements in the rising lava room, but the lava shouldn't start rising right at your feet. Once you clear that though, you can usually ascend much faster than the lava, so while a better balance could have been found there in a few ways, it functions fine enough once you're past the bottom. The second star's bad though, because not only would players never expect to have to enter a completely random lavafall like a door, but the shell needed to activate the switches sometimes despawns by the time you reach the blue blocks, making it needlessly buggy to get.
    Quill (6.1/10)
    • This level isn't bad in any means, it just lacks what makes a decent level a good level. It needed something that would make this level stand out. What was presented was fairly fun to play through despite that it got a little repetitive. Keep working on your level design.
    Valtteri (5.5/10)
    • Towards the end the level had a couple of pretty bad bugs you could have easily fixed by play testing a little more. The Axe that triggered the raising lava was visible and all the ? blocks near the Message Block trigger the hint about the secret star. Besides these bugs it's a decent lava level.
50. AeroMatter - Another SMB3 1-1 Level (5.92/10)
  • Bomber57 (6.0/10)
    • Hey, the SMBX Vanilla contest was a few months ago bud. This is a perfectly average level. It wasn't bad, but doesn't stand out. Did a good job of being a SMB3 level though.
    bossedit8 (7.0/10)
    • Fun SMB3 type level. I do like the whole SMB3 aspects and heh, the music... good one! For the secrets, I do like what you did with the underwater area where you can get a lot of coins and there's even a 1UP at the far right once you either go above or under the screen. The Hammer Bro's hammer though... it's, SMB! How could you do this to a SMB3 themed level? The rest is for sure nicely designed throughout the area since I don't really see anything of what is wrong except for a somewhat huge amount of coins in this level.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • A simple SMB3 theme with simple design, but it's a pleasantly easy experience. There's enough platforming variation to keep the player engaged, a decent amount of effort put into the level's visual presentation, and a modest length that finishes the level once it sets out to do what it intends. There's not much unique or outstanding about it, but nothing really wrong with it either, it's about what you'd expect from an overworld level of nice quality.
    Quill (5.6/10)
    • Simple, fun and gets the job done. It's a pleasant run and I have to give it a lot of praise for that, though I'd just like to see something new brought to the table. This level has many elements extracted from SMB3 and not much user creativity.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • This is a casual level. So casual that I can't really think of anything to say about it, in fact. It's functional and somewhat enjoyable but too generic.
49. XerX - GreyVSAnatomy (5.94/10)
  • Bomber57 (5.0/10)
    • Eh, this level was okay. Its pretty much a SMB3 overworld but in (mostly) gray. It felt a little bit bland but there wasn't really a point where I wanted to stop playing the level. Though all in all this was really just a basic, everyday overworld level. Nothing too special about it.
    bossedit8 (7.0/10)
    • So dark I can barely see the background. An average SMB3 type level where everything is gray except for the sprites. I do like the whole design of it like that is an actual SMB3 type level of where you have to go through with some secrets involved. The P switch isn't SMB3 in this level, it's SMW for apparent reason. Inside the secret area after you pressed the P switch you get coins that's formed like a heart but your reward are just coins and then nothing else... at least a power up from a block would be benefitual for a hard to reach bonus room like that rather than just coins. The rest of the level were generic SMB3 designs but it was nice. If I fly at the very top of the screen you can see that the background is too far at the top as you can see that it has been glitched out if any kind of objects travels over that.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • While this one is mainly a greyscale SMB3 overworld, it's one with a decently polished feel to it. There's a nice amount of detail and decoration, a good range of block placements to test the player's maneuvering in different ways, and thoughtful placements of enemies and pipes. It has the feel of a midgamey SMB3 level, but it doesn't really have anything to complain about.
    Quill (5.7/10)
    • The theme presented here was pretty unique and reminded me of 8-bit SMB3. The level itself was designed decently. A lot of segments could easily be ran through and there wasn't much variety in the terrain or enemy choice. It's not a bad level by any means, it just needs more.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • This is a decent overworld level. The gimmick is that it's in black and white (for the most part). Like I already said it's a decent level and I can't come up with anything to complain about besides some personal nitpicks. The textureless hills should only be placed in the end darkness! If you're going to make a Mario 3 overworld level, why not follow the rules?
48. ap3jmpt - Goomba's Lair (6.06/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.0/10)
    • This level has a LOT of goombas, like, more variety than I have ever seen. In most cases its pretty clear what the goombas replace, in others it isn't so obvious. My two favorites was the Hammer Bro. that threw goombas and the Large Goombas on the big pipes that replaced Blaargs. Those two were real unique concepts. The graphics are beautiful and match the gloomy atmosphere of this underground Goomba paradise. Unfortunately, the one thing that really brings down this level is the insane length. Another issue is sometimes the enemy density gets too high in many areas, probably because you wanted to showcase the wide variety of goomba-themed enemies. If the level had been more concise it would have been better.
    bossedit8 (7.5/10)
    • The goombas are invading our nights again! Oh man, there are like a lot of different variation of goomba enemies and such even in different styles. I do like the whole concept of having a lot of variation of goombas doing different things at once into one level but some of them are also kinda glitchy like those goombas that are replacing SMW Koopas. I do like the whole variety of obstacles this level provides including the goomba's shoe segment. What I personally don't like is how some of the hitboxes of the goombas are kinda off like those para-goombas that are going down slowly... they have a big hitbox. There's one area where you can get stuck if done correctly at the spinjump on the breakable blocks area and also if you forget to defeat at least one switchgoomba you have to go back aswell just to kill specific switchgoombas and then you can advance further into the level. The boss is king goomba... twice as much since after you killed one you have to stay away from his spawning point or else you earn an unfair hit as of where he spawns and at the second phase you have to avoid multiple rinkas aswell. After that you earn the star.
    Chad (4.5/10)
    • I like the idea of having a level full of various types of Goombas that do different things, and the NPCs do a pretty good job of being distinct from one another. The level has some standard design and platforming too, with a nice variety of hazards such as Piranha Plants, Munchers, cannons, and lava to change things up a bit. However, the level suffers from a few consistent issues that make it less enjoyable, such as many of the visuals blending in with one another and making it a little hard to see what you're doing. There's an excess of scenery that's all colored like everything else, so it can be somewhat difficult to concentrate on where you're going next. There's also an excessive number of enemies. It feels like the focus was more on the variety at the cost of thoughtful placement, because there are more in each area than there should be, making the level needlessly tough at times. Those wouldn't be so bad either if the level wasn't so long. It really drags on and becomes repetitive after a while, and by the time I reached the Kuribo Shoes, I found myself really wondering when it was going to end. Turns out that is pretty close to the end, but then there's still a two-phase boss. The boss in itself is good, as it begins standard and then introduces a few more hazards halfway through, but I couldn't appreciate it as much because the level had gone on long enough and dying there would have been extremely costly because the midpoint is quite the distance backwards. I like what you were going for, but those few issues being constantly present were a nuisance.
    Quill (5.8/10)
    • It was neat seeing all the goombas, but the level does get a little repetitive after a while after the player has experienced all the different types of goomba. There isn't enough variety in the gameplay. The closest it gets is the switch goombas, but that's pretty simplistic. I'd also recommend shortening it too. I also like the part where I went down the slide after the checkpoint and died.
    Valtteri (5.5/10)
    • That level was crazy long. And it was all about killing Goombas. You gotta have some variety, especially when your level is this big. I think the everything-is-Goomba gimmick would have worked better if you based all the variations off a Goomba from a specific game, like the Super Mario Bros. 1. Now with Goombas from five games and then some custom versions thrown in the mix the result is quite messy.
47. AlexGKubbed - Canyon Path (6.09/10)
  • Bomber57 (6.0/10)
    • Wasn't a huge fan of this one. The level was cramped and in several parts there were too many enemies. There was a part with a Venus Fire Trap with two bullet bill cannons. The low ceiling makes it tough to dodge both at the same time. The Ace Coin hunt is easy unless you die past the checkpoint, in which it becomes impossible because you can't go back to get the ones before the checkpoint. It's only for a second star, so whatever.
    bossedit8 (4.75/10)
    • Ahh... some nice little canyon-styled level going on there but for sure there are a lot of places that are just too cramped to avoid NPCs and such... even with multiple vines at the ceiling makes me want to climb every time... not really. For sure it was nice to collect these Ace coins to get a star and even some nice reward at the end but if you die after you've collect the halfway point you pretty much have to recollect the Ace coins again but since this level is not that long anyway it wasn't too much of an issue. Like I said before with the cramped areas, it's hard to avoid enemies and other specific stuff like this. There is a pipe that is kinda difficult to enter because there is a slope tile at the bottom of the sideways pipe on both ways so it's more recommended to use something flat rather then having it on a steep slope like this at the halfway point in this level. Your music choicements was alright but at the end, why is there a SMB3 hammer bro. battle theme once I want to collect the stat and then that's the end of the level.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • I like the rough and jagged tile placement in this level. It makes it more of a challenge to deal with enemies and navigate tight corridors, and gives the level a surprising amount of complexity for being purely horizontal, and creates interesting placements for the Ace Coins that unlock the second star. At the same time though, it's a bit much when it comes to bullets and fireballs. The space for avoiding those is so limited that you almost have to be perfect to get through that without taking a hit. It's still highly possible, albeit somewhat of a pain, to get through those rough spots, but the skinny passages work better with the simpler enemies like Goombas and Koopas. Those were a bit awkward sometimes too, like the ones at the start being too close and the ones in Section 2 seemed aimless. The general platforming is pretty good, though. Cautious jumps will get you through pretty well, and there's a nice arrangement of the mushroom tiles/stalks.
    Quill (6.2/10)
    • This was somewhat interesting. The design was decent and it was fun to play through, aside from a small segment after the checkpoint where the area was cramped as heck and I happened to climb a 1 tile sized vine and since it was so small, Mario released it instantly and fell into a pit. Hooray.
    Valtteri (7.5/10)
    • I'm very fond of the looks of this level! (Props for keeping the Mario 2 vines climbable even though they're just scenery!) Please don't make hidden ? blocks that are required to progress in the level. I found it by accident and I'm sure most people will but there's the chance you won't find it. Unless it's supposed to be a puzzle, and I wouldn't expect an overworld level like this to have puzzles. This isn't Lost Levels. The level is pretty cramped in general. There are several parts where I'd rather the ceiling was higher.
46. KingBowserKoopa - Shy Guy Plains (6.12/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • Nice SMB2 overworld with...Touhou music. You manage to keep the level interesting by having a few enemies you wouldn't normally see, like propeller guys or ghost shy guys. In the underground section, if you happen to use up all the bombs it would be impossible to progress. Making one of the grasses that contain a bomb a generator would solve this issue. The custom Birdo looked pretty cool, and fit with the SMB2 theme perfectly.
    bossedit8 (7.0/10)
    • SMB2 all over the place! I really like the whole design of the level relative to SMB2 including further implementations as of what the original SMB2 didn't have. The rest is just generic SMB2 design which is nothing special but hey, at least this level is fun to play. Some plants though on hard to reach areas, at least you could of made it more rewarding like a 1UP or something that was like hidden inside an enemy plant so yeah. At the cave part, once you waste all of your bombs you can't advance further where the barrier is so you forcefully have to restart the level all over just to get to the bomb part again since they never respawn once you waste them all. At the vine where you advance further to the next section, every time you hit the instant warp it has a delay until it can be activated by the warp again so once you're doing it correctly you can either get at the top of the screen or at the other section die at the hole where you're supposed to advance. At the end you fight a Birdo which is blue, has a grass on and that NPC spits out footballs rather than an egg. Overall this level was nice with SMB2 designs but several flaws encountered.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • A rather standard SMB2 level, but not a bad one. The landforms have a lively enough design to look nice, and the enemy/platform distributions are decent. There are some uncommon Subcon enemies, there's a little bit of vine climbing and bomb throwing here and there, and it ends in a Birdo fight, so there is a little bit of variety to the level. However, there should be more bombs by the second rock wall, considering that it's really easy to mess up when you only get one, and it's a very lame way to get stuck. Other than that, nothing too remarkable but nothing really wrong either.
    Quill (5.1/10)
    • It's okay. A lot of the sections felt too similar, with almost identical design and usage of enemies. This level needs something unique to the table to make it really stand out.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • This is an all right overworld level, spanning in an underground area as well. The cave probably doesn't need Boos. It's a very basic level. It's well done, just really simple.
Tier 6 Places 38-45
45. mariogeek2 - Scorching Skies (6.16/10)
  • Bomber57 (6.0/10)
    • OH MY GOD THIS LEVEL IS SO RED-ORANGE. Seriously I had to squint at first. Anyhow, the level was okay I guess. It had some low ceilings over pits and lava and occasionally poor enemy placement. The rising lava section wasn't ever threatening, at least in my experience. The boss though, was way too difficult. Its two phases of a flying hammer brother that acts like wart. You have to dodge both his projectiles and two rinka spawners, while occasionally getting bombs to throw at him. The rinkas make it impossible to use a safe spot, and most of the time destroyed any bombs you wanted to throw at him. I tried this fight twice before giving up because it was too difficult. I don't know how you are supposed to do it, really. I probably just suck, but that doesn't excuse the difficulty.
    bossedit8 (6.5/10)
    • Incredibly red and orange. This was an ok level although there was a secret that you can only enter once you have a Yoshi or Shoe but there were none of them anywhere in this level so that basically defeats the purpose of even having it unless you bring a Yoshi or Shoe into this level at first but still. I don't like that one instant warp at the end of the first section... kind of unindicated. The level has difficulty involved and what I don't like is how these coins are on the unreachable spot at the later sections. Boss, two times wart which was only ok.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • A lava and sky hybrid level is a interesting rarity, although the visuals of this one are a bit bright and enemies blend in on occasion. The level presents interesting merges of lava and cloud tilesets, and a moderately complex layout designed around nice tricky jumps and strategic enemy placements. They're good most of the time, but Section 3 is a bit too excessive once you get past that first group of Parabeetles. At that point, the passages are too narrow and contains projectile-throwing enemies that really require more room than there is. Even with only two instances, they managed to make the entire room a pain. A green Koopa waiting at the top of a vine is a bad idea as well. The propeller section is okay, but could have been better planned as it's very empty and mainly about following the coin trails, and not having a good sense of how far beneath you the lava is. The boss is impressive, because it adds additional hazards to a Wart NPC battle to make it fairly difficult without being overpowered, but the second identical phase is unnecessary and makes the boss overstay its welcome. Overall, good challenging level, but the execution of most things is rather hit-and-miss.
    Quill (6.8/10)
    • Combining both skies + lava was a unique concept. The design is fairly nice, nothing stands out that much but it kept me entertained. The boss ruins the level a little bit as I see no reason why he should come back after you beat him the first time. You do the exact same thing too.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • This is an interesting mix of lava and sky. It definitely looks scorching. The propeller block segment gives the level a pretty neat twist. The boss is simple. Overall it's a decent level.
44. PaperPlayerX - Familiar Stronghold (6.17/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.25/10)
    • Hm, familiar indeed. This is a very DEMENTED level that takes place in a DUNGEON. You play as link and stab some stuff. The level has an interesting mechanic where it loops infinitely unless you find the right pipe. This leads to checking every pipe along the way, but it's not too much of a hassle. The boss wasn't too hard, and you can really just pogo bounce on his head until he dies. I dunno if this was the intended way of doing it but it was the easiest.
    bossedit8 (6.0/10)
    • Link! Link! Apparently you have to travel in an unknown place which is called "Mushroom Kingdom" in a castle which is located in World 8-4 in SMB! So this is just basic SMB castle but into SMB3 and some differency of design choicements going on. And yes, you are forced to be Link in this area which was actually nicely done. The rest is just basic SMB design with the same gimmicks and such except for a few additional secrets. At the end of course you fight SMB Bowser but this time the arena is kinda small like the ceiling is a bit too narrow to jump over. After you defeat that Bowser you thougth it would be over... nope, we gain Storylines, halfway point and then get to the main boss which is quite challenging and at least you provide power ups in order to defeat SMB3 Bowser in dark format. Bombs are not necessary at the bottom of the arena since you can just stap your sword at Bowser.
    Chad (7.5/10)
    • The title of the level certainly fits, as it felt like SMB1's World 8 castle, only with a lot less at stake. The narration is comical, the warp gimmick is well-established and not nearly as mazey or seemingly random, and enemies/hazards are quite strategically placed. The level has a modest but interesting visual style as well. I admire the creativity of the boss, as it really makes the SMB3 Bowser fight intense in a logical way without making it maddeningly difficult... sort of. The Piranha Plants are implemented really well, there's a great amount of powerups there, and as long as you take into account all the factors of the battlefield at all times, it's possible to come up with a plan. The Hammer Bros. were a bit excessive, though. They created an extra level of intensity above the brick blocks where it wasn't really needed, but you don't always even need to worry about them until the blocks become one tile high or it's time to fall through. And yet, if you don't pay enough attention to them, one could jump up and snipe you, so they're basically a wildcard of almost luck. Falling to their level to finally take them out is almost certain to make you take a hit, but finally getting rid of them and the Piranha Plants makes the battle easier... again, sort of. At this point, any remaining bricks repurpose themselves to form a shield to Bowser's furious stomping while you stock up on bombs, which is interesting because it creatively redefines the fight without anything new really happening. But at the same time, when Bowser's on the floor, he'll decide randomly whether to phase through the bricks or collide with them, and Link's shield is unreliable so the best option for fireballs is to go over the bricks again... only to risk Bowser launching up at you at mach speed. It's also completely unclear how much of a mistake it is to take shelter at the side pipes until you do it. At that point, you can swing your sword at Bowser relentlessly and conceivably get in enough hits to kill him, but once he shoots fire, you're taking a hit, no question about it. Other than that, great job on squeezing so much creativity and fair difficulty into one tiny area using only vanilla elements. It's highly intense and somewhat of a pain, but the execution of the fight plus the fact that the fight's the only thing after the checkpoint makes dying not severely punishing, which made trying again seem worth it.
    Quill (4.6/10)
    • The narration was pretty cute, though I'm unsure if the majority of the level basically being the final level of SMB1 was a great idea for a level design contest.
    Valtteri (5.5/10)
    • It is familiar, yeah. The more I played into the level the more it resembled SMB1 8-4. I like the narration, it's quite amusing. The level itself is a pretty cool castle level, taking a lot of inspiration from Mario 1. Not much else to say. It's simple and good for what it is.
43. glitch4 - Valtteri's Space Mission (6.27/10)
  • Bomber57 (5.0/10)
    • *sniffle* The beautiful true story of how Valtteri destroyed the HSMBXC with bombs. This was a pretty decent level that doesn't take itself too seriously, yet still manages to have serious platforming. The layout wasn't too special, but still managed to keep me interested. The boss was just a Mouser made to look like a certain someone and wasn't too difficult. A nice experience overall with some fun community references.
    bossedit8 (6.25/10)
    • Valtteri! There's another mission for you... stop 'em now! Factory space type level including forum characters and regular level design aswell. At least you could of used a little bit more decorations surrounding the area though since I have seen these levels before and they used up more decorations rather than this level right here. At least there's variety in this level with multiple platforms and propeller block stuff to get through the level. At the end you have to fight a boss which is "Uncle Sam" that replaces SMB2 Mouser but that boss was a little bit too near placed at the wall so once he walks towards to the wall he basically doesn't move to the left and right anymore. I do like your music choicements though especially that you even used MegaMan 3 Dr. Wily 1st and 2nd castle theme.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • This is a rather good level. After setting a silly scenario, it throws you into some standard progression considering the level's mostly passages and enemies with the occasional moving platform, but the overall layout is quite good. I do think the level could have offered more of a central gimmick than just "here's some messages that tell you to do a thing", but what's here is nice and there aren't any particular trouble spots.
    Quill (7.1/10)
    • Only about 1.6% of people will understand the context behind this level. Hooray. Anyway, it's a good level! There's some nice variety in the design and it's fun to play through. There's not much 'wow' to the level to make it really stand out, but it's still interesting.
    Valtteri (6.5/10)
    • This is a funny level at best. Gameplay-wise, it's pretty casual. There's not much going on that's special besides some fast moving platform and boss fights to spice it up. The level's nice for what it is, though. The frequently placed enemies and coins and obstacles etc. make it an ok gameplay experience.
42. Sewpah - Mouser's Slippery Stronghold (6.31/10)
  • Bomber57 (6.75/10)
    • A short slippery SMB2 stronghold stage. I was confused by the fact that there were only 3 dragon coins at first before I realized they were for the second star. The level is pretty easy and things were a little flat at times, but not too bad.
    bossedit8 (8.0/10)
    • Lovely SMB2 themed icy castle level. Simple yet it was a relatively fun SMB2 level I must say including exploration for an Ace coin so you can get a SMW star at the checkpoint once you collect them all. I find this level a bit short though sadly since once you get to the checkpoint you get to the boss quickly which is Mouser. Mouser is kinda badly placed because he can run towards the left wall and get stuck there. Not much to say since it's SMB2 but hey, it was fun. Only 3 Ace coins to collect in this level so you won't earn a 1UP at the end.
    Chad (5.5/10)
    • A decent level. It's somewhat basic in structure, consisting of mostly enemies and hallways, but it's a pleasant run considering that. The Ace Coins are placed fine, but only one of them really requires the player to go out of their way to take a completely different path, so you might as well have just put the star there. Also, it's not obvious that they have anything to do with a second star, so some players might just ignore them the first time through. The Mouser fight's nice, though. It's standard, but Mouser being on an elevated position makes him a bit more challenging to hit. Other than that, the level's fairly average. Nothing outstanding, but nothing really bad either.
    Quill (5.3/10)
    • Did you really have to use the SMB2 Underground theme? :c Anyway, this level was alright. Nothing really stood out and it felt like a lot of the level was just running and jumping over enemies, not much variety was present.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • I rather like this level. It's a pretty well done ice fortress. It gives me the feeling of the classic castles in Mario 2.
41. RoundPiplup - Pyramid with Lava (6.46/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • Pretty nice pyramid level, though it had a few problems. The largest one was enemy placement. At certain parts you overdid it with things like thwomps and swoopers, or simply put them in a spot that made them too tough to avoid, such as putting a swooper on the ceiling after a large jump. There's no way to avoid that. Same with having two thwomps and a small lava pit with a podoboo between them. There is simply too much going on for the player and they are going to have a tough (if not impossible) time avoiding these hazards. The block movement layers were done well, but again in some points where they were meant to be hazards they were a tad overdone.
    bossedit8 (7.0/10)
    • Nice desert pyramid themed level. Your little secrets were nice throughout the level and I do like the whole design of it but sometimes I find it pretty overkill relative to moving objects and also sometimes your enemy placements. The way how you advance through the level is by keys but that has to be done 3 times throughout the level which is kinda repetitive that you have to go back again just for the same obstacles but at least your key can kill enemies on your way so that's a thing. Not much to say except that there's soem glitches involved by the moving layers but yeah.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • I like this level's focus on key-and-lock puzzles, with design that has a wide variety of ways to test the player around lava and tight passages. The moving blocks are an interesting gimmick with a number of applications, and enemy placements are pretty strategic. However, much of the level's layout is too narrow. I often found that I barely had any space to avoid many hazards, and the moving blocks in certain places pose a far larger crushing risk than they should have any right to. The level's pretty decent otherwise, and each area's carefully planned out really well, but there definitely needs to be some more leeway in terms of the player's general ability to move.
    Quill (6.3/10)
    • The thing that bothered me about these level was the key segments. You often had to go out of your way to pick up the key and backtrack a fair amount to reach the locked door. The moving blocks were also more of a nuisance than anything. The rest of the level was fairly solid though.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • Those palm trees look bad. I liked this level, to be honest. I had some decent fun carrying those keys around. The level's constructed well and looks fine. Good job.
40. Ludwig von Koopa - Roy's Sinister Stronghold (6.46/10)
  • Bomber57 (6.0/10)
    • Wow, this felt exactly like a level from the earlier NSMB games. That is, it felt the same the entire way through. Nothing new or interesting was really done, besides the sliding blocks, but they are done the exact same every time. The Roy fight is annoying because you get no powerups or breaks between the first and second battle, and the second battle takes forever since you are basically fighting a bowser equivalent with bombs.
    bossedit8 (8.0/10)
    • Lovely castle level with for sure differency of obstacles involved and I really like the challenge that this level has. Your unintended sizeable pillar though, I was be able to stand at the far left and right without falling off like that I was standing at the complete air which makes no sense lol. There was also one part that completly blocked the thwomp unintentionally because of the sizeable being in the way. The rest it was very well designed and I do like your secondary star placement and other related areas. I also like the gimmick in this area. Boss is Roy and that times 2... the second phase it has to do with fighting SMB3 Bowser with throwing bombs though. After that you earn a star.
    Chad (7.0/10)
    • Pretty good castle level. Very formulaic in terms of what it sets out to do, but it does a great job with it. The structure is polished, the enemy placement is decent, the moving tiles are a good central gimmick, the secret star is simple but functional, and there's a decent two-phase boss that's slightly tricky but not stressful. There isn't anything especially new or different, but the level does all right in what it does.
    Quill (5.3/10)
    • It was alright. There's a lot of repetition in this level. The moving layers were neat, but didn't add all too much and like the level, suffered from a lot of repetition. The first phase of the boss was fine and it should have ended there. The second phase takes over 20 hits on the boss to kill and what you use to hit him doesn't last that long, doesn't work if you throw up when he's landing on you and can explode in your face.
    Valtteri (6.0/10)
    • Here's a pretty great castle. The moving blocks remind me of a castle in NSMB for the DS. In general the level is designed quite neatly. It looks great. The boss isn't all that special but functional as is the rest of the level.
39. GameClip477 - Abyss Sea of the Cryptic Sunken Ship (6.53/10)
  • Bomber57 (8.25/10)
    • I enjoyed the serene atmosphere of this level, and it was a well done water level. Though, it still has some issues. It can sometimes be hard to discern the BGO ship parts from the FGO ones simple because there isn't that great of a difference. There were areas where things got too cramped, especially by Torpedo Teds and other projectile enemies. Also, it wasn't necessary to make the Venus Fire Trap's projectile dark blue, which really makes it blend in with the dark blue background. I think the quest to find the 3 baby squids (the main way to beat the level) was pretty neat, but there were some issues in each of their areas, again regarding enemy crowding. In the area for the second baby there was a jump where the ceiling was way too low, and you'd get killed by the spikes or, if that didn't get you, you'd hit your head and fall into a pit below. It took me a few tries to realize I had to just run to the right without jumping to make it, but its not really clear you can make it without jumping. I also didn't like the area with the darkness too much, even though it was easy. Oh yeah, there's also a second star that requires you to get all the 5 dragon coins but I really couldn't be bothered. Though, I did stumble upon a familiar face where the star would (I assume) appear. A friendly face.
    bossedit8 (4.0/10)
    • Abyss of torture abilities! For sure this level was nicely designed with great atmostphere and such but it contains flaws throughout the area. First of all, all of these dragon coin huntings is for the first time unnoticeable if it's actually accuired to do it once you reach to the point where the red guy is after the halfway point which means you basically either have to backtrack in order to get the missing dragon coins or beat the level so you can restart it again. I do like your NPC choicements in this level although there were some NPCs that are having a messed up death effect like one of those "Kirby 64" type enemies (those red triangle-shooters) once you kill them and there is one NPC that is incredible messed up just because of specific NPC codings that doesn't really support for european computers apparently which means on my display of playing SMBX they show up completly different than it used to be by the creator. The hitbox of the broken fish is incredible messed up and it also makes it invisible which means it can lead into unfair hits. The crates with cracks on them, at least it's nice enough that you tell the player that you can enter those like that they're doors. Your hunting with the white bloopers, there are 3 of them scattered around the area after the halfway point. Kinda ok by that but it seems that the whole level is just based of hunting specific objects that you need in order to get to the main goal of the level. I do think 1 time is enough for 1 stars, not by 2 different missions just to get 2 different stars because by that you could of just done something different rather than having to do with the hunting missions twice just to get everything done from your level.
    Chad (5.0/10)
    • The visuals in this level are simply amazing! The essence and mood of a sunken ship are captured incredibly well, both in terms of atmosphere and the broken-looking design of it, and the amount of detail incorporated is highly impressive. The layout's a bit cramped, but also intriguingly complex. However, a few consistent issues with the level make it not very fun. Enemies are all over the place, taking up the narrow passageways and not giving you a lot of room to avoid them unless you swim near-perfectly and take the level at a pace so slow that it becomes somewhat of a chore. The little room wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were less hazards taking up that space. A lot of them shoot projectiles too, and traversing this underwater environment would have been a lot more fun if there weren't so many of them, or if there was a bit more room. It isn't so bad before the midpoint, but after that, just navigating becomes really difficult, and you don't even get a weapon to defend yourself with before that. Not helping this is the fact that almost every spot has BGOs that resemble the solid tiles extremely closely, to the point where I kept running into stuff I thought was scenery and missing things like Dragon Coins (needed for the second star) because I thought those walls were solid. By the time I knew Dragon Coins were even significant after only being told more than halfway through the level, I'd already missed a few of them. I like the hide and seek idea and the rooms are well-designed, but the darkness gimmick was a big pain and made a level that I was already exploring semi-blindly even more so. I honestly didn't even bother with the Dragon Coins, because after the first star, I didn't want to feel my way around ambiguously solid blocks and tight passages any further. I did check out the resulting path though, and that area was better. The Dragon Coins themselves are nicely placed and the executions of the cutscene and battle are interesting, but the aforementioned issues still come into play, making the punishment very high if you fail because then you have to explore the entire level all over again. This level would have been super fun if not for the above problems, but I admire the effort that went into it.
    Quill (7.4/10)
    • I thought this was an interesting take on a sunken ship level. The first half was alright to play through but I think the second half is where this level really shines. Finding the three squids was fun and I liked how you had to retrieve them. Once you got them, the exit routes back to the main section were easier to get to which I thought was a nice touch. Overall, great job!
    Valtteri (8.0/10)
    • This level looks gorgeous. I think the music is pretty fascinating as well. The atmosphere that the visuals and the music shape makes me think of being lost. The weird mishmash of Dino Rhino and Nipper Plant is random but I like it. The background blocks could be more distinguishable from the solid ones. I would say the lighting gimmick in the angler fish room is pretty lazily done. It's all blocky and ugly and it took me a while to realize what it was supposed to be. I find this level to be relatively creative with the quest to find the lost squid siblings.
38. Chip Potato - Breaking into the Tower (6.62/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.75/10)
    • Nice, a SMB1 level. The level looked nice and all of the custom sprites looked as if they came from SMB1. I think they actually came from Mario Maker, didn't they? I liked the style choice of having the inside tiles be just darkness. Though, I felt that the level ended too soon. I passed the checkpoint expecting more but was thrown into a rather easy Bowser fight.
    bossedit8 (6.75/10)
    • Pretty nice averagely SMB themed castle with multitude of graphical choicements even with Mario Maker included. I do like the obstacles that this level has been provided with but for sure it wasn't too spectacular to stand out throughout it especially that after the halfway point you immediadly get to the boss, Bowser which is SMB3 Bowser but in SMB styled. The fight was quickly done and there is a chance to die after you collect the star if you break the floor tiles next to it that Bowser stomps on the breakable castle blocks. Overall this level was pretty nice but you could of done soemthing more after the halfway point because it leads me immediadly to the boss which was pretty easy to beat anyway. I do like the music choicements though.
    Chad (6.0/10)
    • An interesting take on a SMB1 tower. The visual style makes it look like a tall factory almost, with carefully placed blocks and obstacles for decent platforming. I like the tight design of the level that makes you act cautiously, and the enemy placement is nicely strategic. It's short, but sweet, ends with a standard but decent SMB3 Bowser battle, and has fair difficulty to make it a pleasant run. The scenery pipes could stand to be distinctly darker, though.
    Quill (6.1/10)
    • Pretty simple and short level, but I kinda liked it. The background pipes were a neat touch and the first main section was constructed really nicely. Add some polish to it and you'll have a great, solid level!
    Valtteri (6.5/10)
    • This is a pretty casual level. I like some of the custom graphic choices. They complement the SMB1 theme well. Gameplay-wise I don't have anything to complain about. It's a simple level that functions pretty fluidly. Nothing special though.

Return to “Level Contests”