Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Official community level contests.
User avatar
Ace
Posts: 582
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Ace » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm

sezixor wrote:
Ace wrote:The winner is always just going to be another ruins level in the sky or jungle, because people get overwhelmed by the custom graphics that they ignore everything else.
and even yourself, won because your levels were well designed.
I won with a jungle ruins level, which was exactly my point.
And also because of controversy that was caused by the levels not having a rubric.

User avatar
Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Nien wrote:First of all, the level isn't as difficult as you make it out to be, he did not expect everyone to be as good as bossedit, because he had a 100% tester completion rate, meaning his level wasn't as unbeatable as you make it out to be, all it takes is to literally not suck at jumping.
I guess it's just coincidence then that the level frustrated the judges so much that they all rated it less than 4/10 except Quill.
Nien wrote:ya a bland level with literally no gameplay is more enjoyable because it can be beaten, alright.
Yes. Except your level arguably did have gameplay. But it delights me immensely that you are realizing this. Certainly we don't have to bring up this question again since it's settled.
Nien wrote:Yes, that's what it means, it exists so the judges can give a score to every single part of the level, without having to give a vague final score based on "Nice concept and all but I can't beat this." nor "it's not pretty to look at". And, if your judges supposedly already do that, it shouldn't be that hard to implement a rubric.
Since you realize the current system is close to having some rubric why do you want a rubric so much?
Nien wrote:MaglX contests use this, so a level doesn't get high/low scores only because of one factor (factor on ace's level being the difficulty).
Levels that are too hard are not fun to play. If you disagree with this and want a contest that will not score these levels low, please join MaGLX3.
Nien wrote:"i'm sure it works good for that one level contest but this isn't that one level contest therefore it's not as good."Literally the only difference between maglx and cc is the name gimmick, there's really no reason on why it wouldn't work on CC
What if I want CC to be different from MaGLX?
Nien wrote:It's the opposite of limiting, it's several scores based on different factors, against the current one, which is one score based on whatever the judges decided to focus on.
Neither of them is more limiting than the other. A rubric would just require the judges to give one level several scores. The judges are instructed to focus on gameplay, then atmosphere. We don't need a specific rubric to achieve the balance we desire between the different factors because we're already achieving it.

We are not going to give overboard difficulty any less negative focus so unless that wasn't your intent I suggest you wait for MaGLX3 as I said earlier.
Image

User avatar
Ace
Posts: 582
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Ace » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Valtteri wrote: What if I want CC to be different from MaGLX?
"What if I want CC to be worse than MaGLX?"

and bossedit rated it a 6, so that's two judges. not really important, just saying.

User avatar
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Bomber57 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Ace wrote:
Valtteri wrote: What if I want CC to be different from MaGLX?
"What if I want CC to be worse than MaGLX?"

and bossedit rated it a 6, so that's two judges. not really important, just saying.
And, in retrospect (especially after replaying it for a while and finally beating it after getting consistently better) I shouldn't have graded it so harshly.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

User avatar
GameClip477
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby GameClip477 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:45 pm

After seeing my placement CC11, I surprisingly notice that the overall score (6.53) is even lower than my CC8 level "Emerald Ruins" with a 6.735 which was my first participation doing this community contest.

User avatar
Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 pm
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Erik » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:17 am

GameClip477 wrote:After seeing my placement CC11, I surprisingly notice that the overall score (6.53) is even lower than my CC8 level "Emerald Ruins" with a 6.735 which was my first participation doing this community contest.
Yeah but in CC8 we had bossedit8 and TNTtimelord so the scores there will automatically be higher.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8426
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Enjl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 am

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:
GameClip477 wrote:After seeing my placement CC11, I surprisingly notice that the overall score (6.53) is even lower than my CC8 level "Emerald Ruins" with a 6.735 which was my first participation doing this community contest.
Yeah but in CC8 we had bossedit8 and TNTtimelord so the scores there will automatically be higher.
You're forgetting that I kept the scores low that contest. Also, we have bossedit this time around as well.
The ABC of Creation
________________________________________________________
Image

User avatar
Ecruteak
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:53 am
Flair: It's been...
Current Project: sleeping
Chat Username: Castelia

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Ecruteak » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:25 am

Wait, so is it only Tier 1 and Tier 2 that will be optional? Because, being that this was my first contest, I'd at least like my level to be a main one, and one that's required to play.

I also think I did reasonably well. I do think what the judges said was quite true, though. I put too many coins and not enough enemies, and it was quite short. Next level contest, I'll try my best to do better.
Image
Ambiguously active.

User avatar
Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 am
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Aristo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:44 am

ShyGuyXP wrote:Wait, so is it only Tier 1 and Tier 2 that will be optional? Because, being that this was my first contest, I'd at least like my level to be a main one, and one that's required to play.

I also think I did reasonably well. I do think what the judges said was quite true, though. I put too many coins and not enough enemies, and it was quite short. Next level contest, I'll try my best to do better.
Your level is in Tier 4, so unless it was unfairly hard, you shouldn't have to worry about it being optional.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:51 am

Marina wrote:
ShyGuyXP wrote:Wait, so is it only Tier 1 and Tier 2 that will be optional? Because, being that this was my first contest, I'd at least like my level to be a main one, and one that's required to play.

I also think I did reasonably well. I do think what the judges said was quite true, though. I put too many coins and not enough enemies, and it was quite short. Next level contest, I'll try my best to do better.
Your level is in Tier 4, so unless it was unfairly hard, you shouldn't have to worry about it being optional.
...and how would you make mine optional since there are events tied to the SMW stars?

ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3443
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Marina wrote:
ShyGuyXP wrote:Wait, so is it only Tier 1 and Tier 2 that will be optional? Because, being that this was my first contest, I'd at least like my level to be a main one, and one that's required to play.

I also think I did reasonably well. I do think what the judges said was quite true, though. I put too many coins and not enough enemies, and it was quite short. Next level contest, I'll try my best to do better.
Your level is in Tier 4, so unless it was unfairly hard, you shouldn't have to worry about it being optional.
...and how would you make mine optional since there are events tied to the SMW stars?
They probably won't if the events are tied to the SMW stars.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

User avatar
Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 am
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Aristo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:56 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Marina wrote:
ShyGuyXP wrote:Wait, so is it only Tier 1 and Tier 2 that will be optional? Because, being that this was my first contest, I'd at least like my level to be a main one, and one that's required to play.

I also think I did reasonably well. I do think what the judges said was quite true, though. I put too many coins and not enough enemies, and it was quite short. Next level contest, I'll try my best to do better.
Your level is in Tier 4, so unless it was unfairly hard, you shouldn't have to worry about it being optional.
...and how would you make mine optional since there are events tied to the SMW stars?
By not... having to play your level... in order to progress? You just make the starlocks contain one star less for each of the optional levels. I don't see the problem.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4987
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 am

Linik wrote: They probably won't if the events are tied to the SMW stars.
Hopefully they will I don't want to waste my time playing a 2 hours long level
im bored

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Mable » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 am

I hope mine either gets optional or Valtter could remove it :D After the midpoint you can't beat it anymore so yeah i guess it would be better to take it out entirely.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 am

RudeGuy07 wrote:
Linik wrote: They probably won't if the events are tied to the SMW stars.
Hopefully they will I don't want to waste my time playing a 2 hours long level
The first star is to make it so you do not have to explore hours upon hours to get all three keys after you get past the lock. I.E. Making the level easier!
There are about 40 events tied to the checkpoint, (Which the first star also triggers. So the mid-boss does not re-spawn.
...the level also ends in a star lock that requires 85 stars, and a SMW star. (The Star Lock is the only joke in the level)

ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby Quill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:28 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
RudeGuy07 wrote:
Linik wrote: They probably won't if the events are tied to the SMW stars.
Hopefully they will I don't want to waste my time playing a 2 hours long level
The first star is to make it so you do not have to explore hours upon hours to get all three keys after you get past the lock. I.E. Making the level easier!
There are about 40 events tied to the checkpoint, (Which the first star also triggers. So the mid-boss does not re-spawn.
...the level also ends in a star lock that requires 85 stars, and a SMW star. (The Star Lock is the only joke in the level)
The SMW Stars in your level are pretty insignificant, so it'll be fine.

For those who ignored my previous message about optional levels, only a select few decided by a judges will be optional.

QZPMsixeight9
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:34 am

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby QZPMsixeight9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:41 am

Just came here because talkhaus sticked this.
Um, looking the reviews given so far, it seems some of the levels here do look pretty interesting to play, like the catch the star level.

User avatar
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:48 am

Quill wrote: The SMW Stars in your level are pretty insignificant, so it'll be fine.

For those who ignored my previous message about optional levels, only a select few decided by a judges will be optional.
Yes! Free Stars! ToB10 just got a lot easier.
Spoiler: show
Image
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4987
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:10 am

mariogeek2 wrote:ToB10 just got a lot easier.
Good luck navigating through mech's level.
im bored

User avatar
bossedit8
Banned
Posts: 6846
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 11 - WE HAVE RESULTS! TIERS 5 & 6

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:26 am

RudeGuy07 wrote:Good luck navigating through mech's level.
Good luck navigating through all of those annoying levels. :^)


Return to “Level Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest