Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 6

Official community level contests.
User avatar
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6114
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:18 am

Harvey36Dice wrote:
ShadowStarX wrote:
Harvey36Dice wrote: I'm sure that you counted me, right?
I did, I'm going to send you the list in private if you want.
Remove me on your list
i'm a bad level designner
Can I be sent tht list ShadowStarX?

ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 am
Chat Username: ShadowStarX
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

I think I would rather stop the conversation about the list.
Any1 who's interested, send me a pm.
MECHDRAGON: I sent you the list via skype if you didn't notice.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016
Image

User avatar
TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby TDK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:26 am

Natsu wrote:
@TheDinoKing432: What I meant by optional is that people could skip all the levels of Tier 1 and go straight ahead to Tier 2. But if they need to refill on Power-ups they could stop by litchh's level. One does not counter the other.
I mean I would like to have a free star in the level as well as free power ups =P
Last edited by TDK on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby litchh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 am

At least my level would be useful in CC12 episode :3
Don't exclude it pls.

User avatar
TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby TDK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 am

Biased confirmed.
Last edited by TDK on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby underFlo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 am

Every time the word "Bias" is said Valt delays the results by 1 hour
im a girl yo

User avatar
Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 am
Flair: Martyr of SMBXdom
Chat Username: Aristo

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby Aristo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:09 am

bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias


see ya in a week
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby underFlo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

I dont know what I expected
im a girl yo

User avatar
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 am
Chat Username: ShadowStarX
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 1

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:19 am

Spinda wrote:I dont know what I expected
You expected a longer post from Marina.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016
Image

User avatar
Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby Valtteri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 am

Tier 2
Spoiler: show
72. Classic Tails - Candy Land (2.38/10)
  • Chad (3.0/10)
    • Well, this was an odd little level. It's super short and has no consistency, it's just a few jumps and warps and then you're done. It really doesn't bring much to the table, and it's over in just above a minute. Also, unswimmable water is not a good thing, especially without indication.
    ElTipsta (3.5/10)
    • This level isn't finished. There are NO NPCs whatsoever aside from a few coins. The sign at the start alludes to there being a boss, of which there is none. What is here is pretty good, the design is straightforward but fair (though the last half was clearly rushed) and graphics and music are fine. But this level was in no fit state to be submitted. Please take this to heart next time you enter a contest like this.
    Quill (1.9/10)
    • where are the enemies
    Shinbison-Kof (1.5/10)
    • This level seems random. It's short and has bad design. It lacks important elements like npcs. It's just two random sections. Nothing in this level is sweet.
    Valtteri (2.0/10)
    • The LunaLua in this level doesn't work. Without LunaLua the level has no enemies and therefore has no challenge and lasts less than a minute.
71. __a - Heresy (2.66/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • This is a really creative challenge filled with artfully-arranged obstacles, and having incredibly severe difficulty with numerous adjacent save points that instantly reset you is interesting. I really admire the idea behind this level, but... this is the most extreme example of pixel perfection I can imagine. Considering how unforgiving SMBX is with hitboxes, even the slightest error in inertia will kill you. It's fun for a while when it feels possible, because the small number of tasks between save points gives a feeling of hope even after many "deaths". Eventually however, it gets to a point where control of my success or failure feels completely taken out of my hands and it stops being enjoyable. I got to Section 3 in maybe 10 minutes, but then couldn't reach that room's second save point after a solid hour. It got to the point where trying to find an opening in the mess really started to hurt my eyes, and after that the save points suddenly get much farther apart alongside more difficulty skyrocketing and randomization. Looking through the editor, I can see how you're intended to do it, but replicating that requires insane amounts of tries and absolute flawlessness. This really is a brilliant level, but the hypersensitivity really makes it tough to deal with when it's not accomodated in the slightest. It could have stuck with the difficulty it started out with in the first couple of sections, because that was suitably challenging. This is really fun to try out and see how far you get, but actual completion takes a lot more time and patience than a lot of people would be willing to spend.
    ElTipsta (0.0/10) Quill (1.0/10)
    • no thanks
    Shinbison-Kof (3.8/10)
    • I wanna be the Mario? It's a very good adaption. The deaths and the check-points are very well done. I like the challenge, but unfortunately this is considered a kaizo level, is so stressful but addictive. There is luna used and you really know how use it. I can't consider this a decent level because it's near impossible. I can't beat it. It's a very good adaptation but still.
    Valtteri (2.0/10)
    • This is certainly unusual... This isn't a Mario level but rather an "I Wanna Be the Guy" type of thing where you progress screen by screen and have to go through tremendously difficult platforming settings with stuff that flies around and sends you back to the beginning upon touching. I find this unforgiving and hard to enjoy.
70. Horikawa Otane - frogsuit.lua (2.78/10)
  • Chad (2.5/10)
    • Well, that was certainly... different. A playable Wart is fascinating and offers some unique gameplay, but I wouldn't really define moving super slow and being super vulnerable to projectile attacks literally all the time as being fun.
    ElTipsta (1.0/10)
    • Heh, nice usage of LunaDLL (hence the point). I'm sure Horikawa will shit bubbles into her knickers when she plays this ;)
    Quill (3.1/10)
    • but wHERE IS SONI THE HDHOG, SEMUN BELLEMONEY AND KIEBREH HORICAKEWAKEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OTAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
    Shinbison-Kof (3.3/10)
    • Wow, the wart playable is perfect, it's slow but very good work. I wanted to see more of this but unfortunately this level is very short and random. You could have been creative with this! The level design, and everything is random, I guess this level was just to show the Wart playable. (The Horikawa sprite is very well done too!)
    Valtteri (4.0/10)
    • I honestly didn't expect a Wart suit, haha. It's such a pain controlling Wart. The scripts work really well but the level itself is nothing special.
69. King of GETs - The Power of Luna Lua (2.82/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • Well, this was an intriguing level. I didn't care much for the rainbow shell portion, because even though the course is paced pretty well for such a wild gimmick, the construction is absolutely minimal and you felt the need to add chasing lava that punishes you for the slightest mistake. The end of this throws a lot at you but gives you no time to adjust. Quick, stand between two spaces with icons of ambiguous purpose the second you get off the shell and before you even have time to look around! Quick, while you're still adjusting to that, fall left and right and not know how much space you have for the last wave of obstacles! Quick, dodge stuff from the ceiling while lava closes in from all sides! It's very cinematic and clever, and it's probably a lot easier for the designer, but it doesn't come nearly as naturally to someone who doesn't know what's coming. The second half, however, is incredibly cool. The many waves of moving blocks are timed excellently together, and go at a pace I can actually follow. It's still pretty challenging and impressive, and ends with a really tense boss fight that, while suddenly introduced and really nails that sense of impending doom, is actually pretty forgiving. The only part of the second half I didn't care for was the maze of blocks you had to stab through really quickly. It's not really a speedrun type of maneuver, and finding the right way out comes down to luck-or-die. Overall, while I don't agree with several of the design choices that were made, this is still a fascinating level concept and a good bit of it is pulled off well.
    ElTipsta (1.5/10)
    • This isn't really a seriosuly designed level but it does have it's challenges Like the shell ride and the extra star. The boss was funny. There were loads of references in this level from Touhou to Wohlstand to the Fairly Odd Parents. You're not missing much if you skip this, mind.
    Quill (1.8/10)
    • Did you see that maglx2 touhou level that raocow had to split into 2 videos and think "oh man that's a cool level i'm going to take that and make it worse" because that was not a good idea. If this is the same person, even worse, bcause you've clearly learned nothing. Did you honestly think this would be fun? The start is just a generic shell surfing segment that is initiated really awkwardly. The section where you switched characters a lot and things moved around was okay at first, then you turned it into some switch fuckery. What kind of super mushrooms have you been smoking?
    Shinbison-Kof (1.3/10)
    • Sorry but this level is annoying. In the first section you need the rainbow shell. When you ride the rainbow shell, the lava chases you very fast and it's very hard to dodge the obstacles. I tried so many times but it's so hard and annoying. In the part with the purple background some red balls fall on your head and it's nearly impossible to dodge them. The design is bad and kaizo-y. This level is bad and it confused me.
    Valtteri (3.0/10)
    • This level doesn't even utilize LunaLua... It's a collection of minigames starting with a Rainbow Shell ride and ending with a segment where you have to survive a bunch of blocks moving around. It's crazy hard.
68. superhammerbros100 - Rocky Cave (3.06/10)
  • Chad (3.0/10)
    • This level is... extremely basic. There's barely any enemies, several random dead-ends, and mainly consists of wandering around almost aimlessly until you find the three switches. After that, there's a short boss, and you're done. The design feels inconsistent and lacking of any real plan to the point where the level feels unfinished. However, it does offer a little bit of exploration, and I will say the boss was sort of interesting. The moving ground is a great touch and creates some variation with how you have to attack and evade.
    ElTipsta (3.5/10)
    • This is a pretty mediocre level. The graphics don't even fit properly with each other (the BG and tileset are two competely different colours), there are next to no NPCs, no scenery whatsoever and the boss is a Mother Brain (and also the same section where the starting point is incorrectly placed) that is a chore to kill. The music fits well, it's got that going for it at least.
    Quill (3.5/10)
    • An unneeded switch hunt and a boring boss fight.
    Shinbison-Kof (3.3/10)
    • Well this is a strange and very short level. The level design is bad. I don't like your block placement. It's ugly and random. This level consists of only finding switches and it's very empty. It's not interesting and there are no bgos. The npc placement in this level is 2 goombas in total. The tileset is beautiful, but doesn't go well with the smb1 cave background. There are no power-ups or special blocks. The boss is ok, but when you defeat one, the new one that's supposed to appear in place is off. The boss consists of just throwing some bombs at the monster ( replaces mother brain). Overall this is an ugly and strange level.
    Valtteri (2.0/10)
    • Completely barren of enemies, pipes, Question Blocks and background objects. Pointless switch hunt. Double no-brainer Mother Brain battle. There's a lot of basic things you need to learn about making a level fun.
67. Prado - Castle Cliche (3.82/10)
  • Chad (4.5/10)
    • I had mixed feelings about this level. It offers a lot of things to the player, but with varying consistency and quality. For starters, the tank section at the beginning is generally pretty easy and the tank construction is okay, but it's also very long and has you spend a lot of time just sitting still and waiting for the screen to scroll further. Some of the generators have super sudden fast projectiles when there aren't many powerups to compensate for them. The entrance sections involving a massive blue underwater emptiness and music too joyful for the situation don't really add anything, but it does pick up a little at the midpoint. The interior structure is actually pretty decent, and I somewhat enjoyed the use of spacing and enemy placement which made overcoming that section fun. Red coins spawning a few extra hazards is an interesting idea, and I also liked the brief key detour. However, the moving layer isn't introduced well because you have to wait a long time for something you don't yet know is there. It feels like you're supposed to go down the pipe which doesn't have a warp, and it's really easy to miss the layer once it returns and have to wait again. The layer does a good job at carrying you through projectile hazards, but getting on it and figuring out its movements is needlessly confusing. Returning to the lock with the key is also a blind jump with leap-of-faith levels of success. The level ends with a series of generic Koopaling/Bowser fights. None of these are frustrating or time-consuming by themselves, but they feel unnecessary collectively and don't need four phases. Overall, I wouldn't say this level is terrible, and it does offer bits of good here and there. However, it mostly feels like a mishmash of ideas that could have been polished and implemented better than they were. It's not extremely long or difficult to complete though, as the entire first half is only the tank section and the castle is an improvement on that.
    ElTipsta (5.0/10)
    • The beginning of this level is actually the bst part. It's a tank style leve which is really cool. However the castle entrance section is disappointing. There is no challenge as it's literally float to the bottom. The castle section by contrast is the hardest part of the level. There are traps of all sorts (with the graphical inconsistencies to match) and is devilish compared to the parts before, however the red coin idea is nice albiet simple, however considering that the player can work to avoid all but the first one I don't really see the point of it unless it's placed well. The boss blitz was simple, except the Kamek fight. It's really diffcult to get on the Koopas plus they spawn too quickly. Maybe that's just me, but like the section before, it was needlessly difficult in a relatively easy level otherwise. If you were to sort out the graphical and difficulrty inconsistencies, you'd be on to a good level (oh and shorten the castle enterance dive section while I'm at it too). I like what you treid to do so well done :)
    Quill (4.6/10)
    • Some indication that you had to continue moving forward after the autoscroll would have been nice. I thought I had screwed up and had to enter the pipe right before it. The level itself was pretty basic not to mention long, especially with the long autoscroll at the start. The level lost any appeal it had pretty quickly, especially with situations like dropping down into the lake for a whole minute before you reach the pipe.
    Shinbison-Kof (2.0/10)
    • This is a stressful level. The first part is a generic autoscroll tank level. That's okay but the npc spam and the lack of power-ups is a problem. The npc generators aren't well placed either. I don't like when there's a tall pipe and the player need find a hidden special block further in the auto scroll level. The first part isn't that bad, but the castle has bad npc placement. This ruins the enjoyability of the level, and the random design ruins it further. Multiple enemies spawning when you collect a red coin is unnecessary. I don't have anything to complain about the graphics. The bosses are clichey.
    Valtteri (3.0/10)
    • This level was too long. The autoscroll section's lenght could be cut one third and it would still have been pretty long. The level was very barren. Especially the last part with running right for a good 15 seconds and three Cheep-Cheeps in total jumping at you.
66. HVMetal - Ceiling of Doom (3.94/10)
  • Chad (2.0/10)
    • A standard SMB1 overworld with similar design conventions, except with a spike ceiling crashing down at random intervals where only some spots are safe. An interesting idea certainly, except the safe spots are very few and very far between. You have to move really quick to get from one to the next, which would be fine if not for the fact that the block and enemy arrangements are actually pretty tricky by themselves. The level is one big speedrun, but no part of the design is actually suitable for a speedrun because most enemies and jumps require some careful action. The layout doesn't even seen to be made with the ceiling in mind, it just feels like a gimmick that was tacked on later and assumed to work. The level would have been decent without it, but the added gimmick makes the difficulty unreasonable.
    ElTipsta (4.0/10)
    • Firstly, I really like the idea and the music and graphics compliment it well. However, there are issues with the execution of this concept. For example, how does the player know which areas are safe? How do they know how far the ceiling goes down? There are no visual indicators. The evnt itself also stops at an odd point, perhaps a couple of microseconds earlier and it would mean that the player is able to crouch on ground that is two tiles high. And some of the NPCs do not help either, meaning the timing has to be very tight, like the first goombas by the first hole. They aren't needed. Take them out. The player will need to do a LOT of trial and error in order to do this level. It's actually very unfair. I never finished this level as it's very frustrating.
    Quill (5.3/10)
    • I really think the space between the zones needs to be shortened. Sometimes, I only just barely get there. That doesn’t even take into account that if I do reach the spot, it’ll usually be flooded with goombas and if I jump, I die.
    Shinbison-Kof (3.4/10)
    • It's creepy how when the smash blocks appear and you're running, you don't have much time to escape them. The smash blocks are an interesting gimmick, but you need to put some warnings where you have to react quickly. The speed of the smash blocks and the npc placement are the biggest problems. There's piranha plant spam which makes it difficult to dodge the smashers. The background has bad quality if you look closely. The big piranha plants are very hard to dodge. Overall it's a strange level. It reminds me of mario forever.
    Valtteri (5.0/10)
    • At first it isn't clear what parts in the level are safe. Other than that it's an okay level. The crushing ceiling is pretty original.
65. Metroidologist X7 - Frigid Terrains (4.08/10)
  • Chad (4.0/10)
    • For the most part, an average level. It's on the easier side and decent to run and jump through, and while the design is generally basic and flat, it's passable, at least until you reach certain points. The cave route contains a few poorly-introduced instakill obstacles, such as expecting the player to know that a single skull raft NPC will move in a different direction from the rest and must be ridden while hopping fast across a set of them. That part also contains a few unavoidable Podoboos, followed by rapidly rising lava that you wouldn't even know about until it creeps into view because that's about where the sign is placed. Not dying to that requires going as fast as possible without knowing at first that you need to. I wouldn't say the route is worth it when your only reward consists of powerups, but it's at least entirely optional. What's not optional though are the things that come after the midpoint. The second half consists of a rudimentary line-platform segment with lines toggled by switch blocks, and a handful of minibosses. Not bad on their own, but if you take the snowy route instead of the cave route, there's a trio of question blocks mistakenly linked to an event by that point unknown to the player. If you hit them in an odd number by the time you reach the midpoint, the platform will leave you and you'll be stuck and forced to die. Although, before doing that, you can use the provided Leaf powerup to fly to the second star. This problem fixes itself when you die and return to the checkpoint, but even on the normal ride, the switches are a game of luck that can result in death. The bosses aren't much fun either, because Boom Boom and chasing-Paratroopa generators aren't a good mix. Killing Boom Boom results immediately in Larry falling on your head, and the same happens with Mouser. But if you grab hold of a shell after killing Boom Boom and let it bounce back and forth, it can break the other two phases, which the level frankly didn't need anyway. Overall, kind of a simple layout for a level, but one that felt undertested and underthought. In spite of everything, cave section is optional and the second half is beatable within a few tries, especially with the midpoint's placement being perfect for the situation.
    ElTipsta (4.5/10)
    • A pretty barren ice level with an interesting two-paths mechanic (however that requires a Fire Flower). The level was a bit dull, even though graphics and music were fine. The boss however was too hard in comparison to the rest of the level, those Paratroopas make it quite difficult.
    Quill (5.2/10)
    • This was alright. Nothing that really stood out. The alternate paths were neat, though I thought the cavern section was a little cramped at times.
    Shinbison-Kof (3.7/10)
    • This level is so empty. There's little to none decoration. The level design is flat. I like the platform gimmick. That's a good addition to the gameplay. I don't like your npc placement, because various parts don't have npcs. The player needs to only run, kill a few npcs and nothing else. I like the mix of tilesets. Really good for a snow level. It's impossible to go in the cave section when you play the level for the first time, because the only power-up in this section is mushrooms. If you want to go in the cave, you need a fire flower. The cave section is very stressful because of the cramped design and the npc spam. The boss is a normal boom-boom battle. Overall it's an empty level.
    Valtteri (3.0/10)
    • The slide into the pit was not cool. This level is very plain. It's missing some very basic things such as pipes and question blocks.
64. Ness-Wednesday - Bald Toad's Peak (4.12/10)
  • Chad (3.0/10)
    • I'm sorry, but this level was a pain. About 18 sections are used extensively, and in every one, the visuals are so heavy that it's extremely hard to see anything because you mix at least 3 tilesets and have massive amounts of decoration that obscure a clear view of the path. The entire thing is filled to the brim with many claustrophobic sections and enemies that don't reflect that well. There are also seldom instakill blocks that aren't obvious and serve no legitimate purpose, a convoluted switch hunt, and at the end of all that, a very convincing troll exit. You convey the idea that the player is done with your level after a length that might be reasonable if the above problems weren't present, but instead you drop them into a pit leading to twice as much of the same. The level also contains 5 bosses that all have lightning fast and sudden projectiles and movements, no room or warning whatsoever to deal with them, and among those is a Mother Brain AI with extended health. Even if the level consisted of only these bosses, I have no idea how you'd expect someone to beat them. I apologize for the harshness of this review, but I honestly can't say I enjoyed this. The level aspired to do way more than necessary and didn't handle it well.
    ElTipsta (6.0/10)
    • Hehe another LunaDLL level. Firstly, you play as a 1x1 pixel Link replacement, so we will hopefully get an entertaining reaction from Mr. Damn Knight should he decide to play this game. Seondly, the you died music is funny. Please die at least once, all of you. Thirdly, this level has a really interesting atmosphere, with some pretty visuals and an interesting sizable-switcheroo mechanic, which was well signalled. That's good design. However, the same can't be said for the DX balloons which replace lava. There is no indication whatsoever that they will instakill you. This is unfair and out of place for the level, perhaps maybe replacing a Jellyfish to match the difficulty better? I also got really lost with this level. I understand you say this a challenge but this isn't fun. At best, it's confusing. At worst, it's borderline trolling the player. The boss fight is when the level starts to get really interesting, even tohugh it's a bit random (though ALL the bosses with projectiles have projectiles that move FAR too fast). The story was funny (though ignoritus is a horribly overused NPC and boss in SMBX) and I woukd've scored higher, had the beginning be more straightforward and the bosses be a bit more fairer. Nice job though.
    Quill (4.8/10)
    • How many super mushrooms have you been smoking?
    Shinbison-Kof (3.8/10)
    • This is a strange level. It has some cool things, like the invert gimmick. It made nice puzzles, but I thought that the level was very stressful. The level design wasn't good. Several parts were cramped and confusing and the puzzles could have been less confusing. It would have been great if I had known where I wanted to go. The Npc spam was another thing, especially bullet-bills. I didn't find the check-point. The blocks which replaced lava weren't well collocated. The level was cramped, and you put the lava blocks in the most cramped parts. The tilesets don't mix very well, maybe because of the colors. I think it would be better if it only had desert tilesets in the mix. The playable sprite is ugly and your mask is wrong. It's also missing the death effect. At least this level is very well decorated.
    Valtteri (3.0/10)
    • The playable sprite needs tons of work. He's all shaky and most of the frames contain clashing 1x1 and 2x2 pixels. They also seem to be missing shading. Now about the level. I don't think the tileset mash-up is working. The main ground tileset with very high contrast does not go well with the desert tiles. The level is tight and the enemy placement too. The fireballs that the Fire Bros. shoot do not disappear which I don't think is good. The custom sound effects are too loud. The shooting sound scared me. There's a sign that says that the editor wouldn't allow any more blocks. This isn't something you'd put in the level. You're supposed to work around it in a way that the player doesn't have to know. There's also a note about the playable character's glitched climbing animation being the result of the author lacking the skill to fix it. This was also unnecessary information.
63. jasonbt - Mushroom Adventure (4.2/10)
  • Chad (2.0/10)
    • It starts out as a basic ordinary grass stage with not a lot of variation besides enemies and hills, which would be passable, but once you go underwater, it ends up excessively narrow. Avoiding enemies and navigating the tunnels is barely possible while small, and out of the question while big, especially in terms of Urchins and sudden fast Torpedoes. The boss is bad too, because fighting Wart underwater just doesn't work when the projectiles move way faster than you can, plus if you take a hit when the moving layer beneath you rises, it will outright instakill you. This would be a good foundation for a level, but it needs a much greater focus of what it wants to do and a better handle on difficulty and placement.
    ElTipsta (5.5/10)
    • This is another okay level. Graphics and music in the overworld and sky sectinos are fine, but I don't think that NSMBDS background fits. In the sky section, the water dosen't fit well, likewise the music which is too epic compared to the music used in the rest of the level. It is also possible to completley break the first sectino of the level by placing a Yoshi and the Blue/Rianbow shells in the same section. I would suggest taking ether the Yoshi or the Shells out. The boss is out of place and the section is in is barren. Pretty decent effort though nonetheless.
    Quill (5.6/10)
    • This was uh, alright? It was fairly generic. The underwater sections were a little more interesting. The boss being fought underwater was a neat idea, but since it was Wart it made it pretty hard to dodge him.
    Shinbison-Kof (3.9/10)
    • This is a cute grassland level I guess. I like the graphic choices. The level design is flat and uninteresting; it's very simple. You need put some challenge in it. The level seems empty. It could use a little bgos. The level isn't very fun, because you just put random npcs around the level. All you need to do is run and jump, kill the npcs. There are no secret rooms or anything else interesting. I saw cut-off too (and 6 dragon coins). The cave section is cramped. This isn't good because there are annoying npcs in this part, like bills launchers, fish and urchins. This causes unfair deaths. The boss is cliche, but the "crab" ( replaces wart) is hard because the vegetables are in the moving blocks and therefore glitchy. Overall it's a very simple level.
    Valtteri (4.0/10)
    • A couple of things: Don't build stretchy chunks of land and just line up enemies on it. Have pipes, pits and Question Blocks. And the tileset is flawed. The sizable blocks look exactly like the normal solid ones and can easily be mistaken for the solid ones.
Image

User avatar
Meepingturtle
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby Meepingturtle » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 am

I didn't get tier 2, that's a new record

User avatar
The Thwomp King
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:09 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!

Postby The Thwomp King » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:48 am

Tensions will be getting higher for those who remain.

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

Image

This guy supports any project on smbx, but here are the banners I have:

Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
[/center]
Image

User avatar
HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:44 am
Current Project: SMBX: The Mushroom Island

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby HVMetal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:52 am

For example, how does the player know which areas are safe?
He may read the readme which says, "These hideouts are 1 block above the pit, they are usually SMB1 orange blocks. That's still not enough because you have to press down to be safe from instant death." Did I explain everything?

User avatar
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 am
Chat Username: ShadowStarX
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:52 am

People left: (62 contestants)
Spoiler: show
Valtteri
Chad
Shinbison-Kof
Marina
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
h2643
PROX
AeroMatter
Natsu
snoruntpyro
RudeGuy07
Spinda
Willhart
Harvey36Dice
MosaicMario
bulletbill43
FrozenQuills
HenryRichard
PixelPest
ShyGuyOfMoonside
Cedrik
FireLink
ShadowStarX
withcking666
Meepingturtle
as303298
glitch4
TheDinoKing432
Darkonius Mavakar
Phazon111
Murphmario
Turtwig
Rawr
Sewpah
Tinkerbell
The Thwomp King
Bomber57
nat The Porcupine
krakcurr
Yosho021
The0x539
Zipper
SuperMario7
andregemeo23
Sux
Nightmayor
DarkWolf658
Catastrophe
Reign
Gameinsky
ap3jmpt
LunaticQuark
Cloth pocket
Super Mario Channel
ShoulderBreakDown
Pivot40Channel
diamantico21
von Boltz
RoundPiplup
zlakergirl357
molybdochalkos
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016
Image

User avatar
Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:59 am
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby Cedrik » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 am

Wow... I am not in tier 1 or 2. (I think I am, but I am not.) :lol:

And somethink, noone wants to know, because it isn't relevant:
A Tier in german is an animal in english (not a special animal, it just means animal).

User avatar
King of GETs
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby King of GETs » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 am

I'll be uploading a video of my level later today when I get home. I get the whole "it's got Touhou so it's bad" part and the "I didn't play the level fully so I don't get the Lunalua joke" part, but I'm seriously laughing at the "it's Kaizo-hard" part. It appears Chad is the only judge with any skill as his review is the only one that makes any sense.

User avatar
ElTipsta
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:16 pm
Current Project: A project

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby ElTipsta » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 am

That was actually Horikawa's level?

Ifeel like a dunce now for my review.

Also Chad, you were too generous on Heresy by the way, but your persepctive on the level was very interesting to read.
Yeah, I've been inactive for a while. Just stopped coming here for whatever reason. Sorry about that. Still, I'll be lurking around more often, especially as I now have a craving to make SMBX levels again.
Supporter Of:
Image

User avatar
Nightmayor
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 am
Current Project: SMBx Omega

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby Nightmayor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:14 am

Well I made it past Tier 1 and 2. I'm satisfied with whatever Tier I'm in now. I'm pretty sure I'm in Tier 3 at this point.
When I'm not playing SMBx I'll probably be on steam either playing some Terraria, TF2, L4D2 or Civ 4.
If you want to get a game in don't be afraid to just ask. I also play on my Wii U frequently and my NNID
is SirNightmayor if you want to contact me that way.

User avatar
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby underFlo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:14 am

Valtteri wrote:Heh, nice usage of LunaDLL
Valtteri wrote:LunaDLL
Valtteri wrote:LunaDLL
ohno
im a girl yo

User avatar
Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 am
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR
Contact:

Re: Community Contest 12 - RESULTS! TIER 2

Postby Zipper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:15 am

King of GETs wrote:I get the whole "it's got Touhou so it's bad" part
lol
Last edited by Zipper on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Level Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests