Official community level contests.
Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Re: SVLC 2016

Postby Zipper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Valtteri wrote: I do hope Zipper's reviews didn't cause as much trouble given that he has no experience... or any level judge qualifications that I can see for that matter. (No offense.)
None taken. I can understand people being skeptic when one of the judges can basically be summarised as "who dis?". Though, Marina DID ask for some examples of my level judging before selecting me, so you don't have to worry about me being absolutely clueless. (I judged like, 3 levels, that's almost 10!)

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:48 pm

While we wait, we could watch this new movie
Spoiler: show

ElTipsta
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: A project

Postby ElTipsta » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Valtteri wrote:
as303298 wrote:Marina chewed my head off. Apparently it was against the rules to go below 0..even if I found a level to be absolute shit.
Then he questioned my methods further...but idc. If a level sucked it got nothing..end of story.

What I do know is that we are waiting on only Shadow Star right now, since he has a few rejected levels to judge in our stead.
I did think it was weird when you said you would give negative scores to levels... Do you know if you add a single negative value to an average that otherwise consists of positive ones, the result will be negative as well? That's a great way to guarantee the level a place from the absolute bottom of the results.

I do hope Zipper's reviews didn't cause as much trouble given that he has no experience... or any level judge qualifications that I can see for that matter. (No offense.)
I think my -9000 score has been changed then. But then again, the level deserved it IMO.
Yeah, I've been inactive for a while. Just stopped coming here for whatever reason. Sorry about that. Still, I'll be lurking around more often, especially as I now have a craving to make SMBX levels again.
Supporter Of:

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:26 pm

ElTipsta wrote:-9000
What?! How?! Why?!

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm

ElTipsta wrote:I think my -9000 score has been changed then. But then again, the level deserved it IMO.
IT'S BELOW MINUS NINE THOUSAND

Well, I've reviewed those two levels, if anyone was waiting for me.
Curious about the results though.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:29 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
ElTipsta wrote:I think my -9000 score has been changed then. But then again, the level deserved it IMO.
IT'S BELOW MINUS NINE THOUSAND

Well, I've reviewed those two levels, if you were waiting for me.
Curious about the results though.
Yay! Looking forward to the results now

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Postby h2643 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
bossedit8 wrote:
Camacho wrote:
I hope it's not my level.
Nah... it's just a level that uses those NPCs that goes beyond it's limits... basically. =P
I suppose it's one of the dummy npcs, eh?
They don't crash SMBX because Redigit programmed them into SMBX, just like every other NPC.
Last edited by h2643 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:38 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:IT'S BELOW MINUS NINE THOUSAND
What, -9000?! There's no way that can be right!
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

ElTipsta
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: A project

Postby ElTipsta » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:50 pm

It was a level that I really hated playing. And I aleady played through a VERY similar level in CC12 (and that's a pretty big clue).

I gave the low score as it's not funny whatsoever. Keep it for contests with that kind of level, it will be appreciated more.
Yeah, I've been inactive for a while. Just stopped coming here for whatever reason. Sorry about that. Still, I'll be lurking around more often, especially as I now have a craving to make SMBX levels again.
Supporter Of:

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Martyr of SMBXdom
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Guys, we have reviews.

Honorable Mentions

Shadow40 and liamsjunk both sent in levels that could only be opened with 1.4. Furthermore, Shadow40 apparently did not understand the purpose of a vanilla contest and included custom music and graphics with their level.

Tier 1

43. Zyglrox Oddysey - Rinkas;whoops wrong contest - 0.00 (This level's score is displayed in Rinkas.)
Bossedit8 - 0.00
Well... all I can say is... it's a spam of Rinkas while you're Link going down till you hit the Star. Nothing left to do. Just watch destroying Rinkas everywhere to get points and then get a lot of 1UPs at the end because a lot of NPCs on the screen... good!

Wraith Adamknight - 0.00(Original score of -10.00 was rounded up to 0.00)
Uninstall this program.

Zipper - 0.00
>>>>>>Rinkas;Proud Sky

Chad - 0.00
cool elves don't look at explosions

42. (i don't know who made this level. i rechecked all my pms. i have no idea how this level got into the review folder.) - Intro Level - 0.10(One point deducted for not including an end star)
Bossedit8 - 1.00
For an intro level it was ok but... not much going on despite the fact that there are a lot of NPCs such as coins, koopas and friendly cheep-cheeps. Ways to get 1UPs easily if you really want to at the koopa area at the bottom and then coins at the top. After the first section, you're in a random castle with Peach telling you the story of what's going on here and then after you enter the next door... the level ends. No stars for you. What a great level for an intro.

Wraith Adamknight - 0.00
No. You clearly only made this to enter the level. If you can’t make a legitimate level, don’t submit.

Zipper - 0.50
Submitting a level of your episode can be a good idea.
Submitting a ridiculously flat and pointless 15-second level of your episode is not a good idea.

Chad - 1.00
This is... very plain. It's just a couple of jumps, randomly arranged platforms, a door to Peach, and then you're done. Not a lot's really accomplished here, frankly.

ElTipsta - 3.00
You submitted an intro level to a contest? Ignore the lack of star, pointless and missable checkpoint, enemy spam and barren design and it's pretty decent. If you're a first timer, it's not bad, but please don't submit levels like this to a contest.
41. ProngoKingdom - Vanilla Ice - 0.20
Bossedit8 - 1.00
Simply a level from The Invasion 2 but without any custom graphics... that's all I can say. Please, be original next time rather than taking a level from a different SMBX Episode since that is just unoriginality all the way.

Wraith Adamknight - Cedrik.00
Seriously. Why would you steal such a great and wonderful level from the absolute best game that this community has ever been graced the ability to play by the all-knowing and drunk Redigit, also known as Demologic who is also the designer of Terraria; did you know he had to C&D SMBX because he doesn’t love us?

Zipper - 4.70(Apparently Zipper didn't know this was a stolen level and typed up an actual review. So here you have Zipper analyzing Redigit's level design skills. Sorry but this review doesn't count.)
wheeeeeee slideeeeeeeeeeeee
....well that was fun. Anyway, despite the toad at the start warning me about moles, they played a surprisingly small role in the level. It was mostly a cluster of pipes trying to block me from moving quickly. The first area was pretty nice with the split path options on the pipes, and falling actually required thought. It had plenty of bonuses, and enemies (mostly spike-tops) were placed well. Unfortunately, the same gimmick didn't translate over to the underwater section gracefully. It really felt like a chore at this point, trying to manuever around twisted pipes very slowly, while dodging fish that you can't really kill unless you got a lucky path choice at the start. All the movement that was required to proceed felt like artificial extension, and it would've been better if it didn't exist.
After that, we have about 10 seconds of climbing, then it....ends? That was abrupt, especially considering most of my playtime was a in a slow water passageway and I expected a lot more to do. Mildly disappointing.

Chad - 0.00
Did you know that with the advent SMBX, you can create your very own Mario levels? As in, arrange blocks and enemies to your own special liking? As in, not just copying and pasting an existing .lvl file somebody else made into a contest? Whoa! Neither did I until right just this very minute!

ElTipsta - 0.00
I never knew 'The Mole Hole' could look so good with vanilla graphics. Thank you for enlightening me on this.
40. Team Suzukyun (Akyuu & Yuka) - unique and original level name - 0.25
Bossedit8 - 1.25
Messed up level with something written on it to say something to the player. It says "UH HEY SORRY DONT MAKE A LEVEL WE ARE TOO LAZY <3". Well, for sure the level itself is a messed up clutterage of NPC placements and so on. Also, infinite 1UP farming at the very end.

Wraith Adamknight - Cookie.00
Have a cookie.
Points Awarded: Chocolate Cookie

Zipper - 0.00
actual footage of me punching in zeroes for the score

Chad - 0.00
I mean... I hope you weren't expecting too much with this one. The words in the level itself sort of do my job for me here.

ElTipsta - 0.00
39. ParmaJon - Three Minutes of Horror - 0.70
Bossedit8 - 1.00
I beat this in under a minute. This level is kaizo but less flavoured in difficulty and length edition. Invisible coinblocks with some enemies in your way that are bouncing off of invisible coinblocks which looks kinda funny but then there is a banzai bill on your way. At least, if you're good enough you can slide on these slopes so you can kill enemies that way if you have enough momentum involved. Next up after you fully bring the springboard at the other side of the coinblocks, jump up there to get to the midway. Then Yoshi with a blue parakoopa. Fly down to get to the red switch and then keep the blue shell to get to the blue switch up there but the funny part is, you don't even need the blue switch in order to get pass it. Later on some "tricky" jumps because those aren't too difficult to get over with and then a star with some ice blocks underneeth it. Too much momentum = death. Overall, kaizo quality with less flavour confirmed.

Wraith Adamknight - 0.00(Original score of -1.00 was rounded up to 0.00)
Honestly: go join Pixel Pest’s terrible contest if you want to do this.

Zipper - 1.50
I'm quite baffled. On one hand, this is the most atrocious trial and error system I've seen. On the other hand, if you do everything correctly, the level is like 25 seconds, so it's not THAT ridiculous, and yet I can't spare any points. The problem is, none of the challenges are worth doing legitimately. I just cheesed it with collision bugs and Yoshi's wings from the blue koopa. If anyone tries to do them without "exploits", they're not going to enjoy themselves one bit. The level says "go to hell" literally as soon as you start it up,and it only gets worse from there. Kaizo is not fun in SMBX, and never will be, unless we get active savestates as part of the regular game or something of equal caliber.

Chad - 1.00
While this level is certainly doable, especially when Yoshi and a blue shell make a lot of it easier, that doesn't mean it's fun. Invisible blocks overhead and enemies trapped under them with you are lousy, it's really easy for flying Yoshi to multi-hit the switches, and the rest can be outright skipped. On top of that, the design is incredibly messy and formless, and while a short length is appreciated for a level intended to screw you over, there's really not much good here in the minimal content given.

ElTipsta - 0.00(Original score of -9000.00 was rounded up to 0.00)
yeah.
38. TEAM NUCLEAR CROWS (MECHDRAGON777) - Doko yougan no ugoki o surunode, chikyuumasu - 一.四三
Bossedit8 - 1.25
Level's short... lava waves like NSMBWii's World 8 Level 3 and a boss that's easily beatable because the star is not hidden... unless you are Peach for unknown reasons then it's harder to survive. There's not even any music themes playing in the boss area. Also the secret star requires Peach in order to get it which... well, makes me want to hit the Level Settings and turn into Peach like that. I'd rather have a Block that turns into Peach but well, can't have everything. Oh and the last thing to add... NO POWER-UPS!!!

No.

Zipper - 0.40
oh a tight cave level let's g- oh the level's over.
An awkward lava wave and 30 seconds of content. Cool. Especially with SMBX's disgustingly large lava hitbox.

Chad - 2.50
This level is... strange. The moving lava's sort of cool I guess, but barely serves a purpose. The platforming is ordinary and the construction is random and messy. That's not really terrible, but that's all it does for a very brief moment before throwing you into a super barebones Ludwig fight. You also left the star layer on, so the Koopaling can be ignored entirely and you can just end the level. Also, not sure what the point of all the Peach blocks was.

ElTipsta - 3.00
Long name for ashort level. Events were nice and all, but this was clearly rushed.
37. Jettpizza - Sands of Vanill - 1.59
Bossedit8 - 3.00
Eeehhhh... well this was a level where I can say... it's not too good. I mean, level design is ok for certain areas but others... is not as of what you're especting from this level and also it's untested for sure because the wooden platforms turns back abruptly just because the lines are stupidly placed... so you're forced to walk on spikes which is really bad. Power ups are all hammer suits... ok. The end... is a SMB3 roulette exit... and there is a SMB3 star somewhere in this level... which is after the broken linerider area at the left side where tiles are looking like cutoff... not too bad of a secret but ehh. Aaaaand sooo many coins in this level and also so many ways to get 1UPs from. Good choice... but also a bad one because of a force hit at the top of the area.

Wraith Adamknight - 1.14
Clever usage of the SMW Line piece on top of SMB3 Sand. This gives it the illusion of being smoothed out without having to create a whole new graphic, so kudos mate.
However; test your level before you send it. Your lines are faulty and I know you used PGE to make this and didn’t bother testing the results.

Zipper - 1.80
Jeez, it's really easy to pinpoint the part of the level where you went "You know what? I don't care anymore." It started decent, like it was going to be promising, then you threw me a Hammer Suit with no challenge to correspond to it. After that, the whole wood block ride (which becomes UNWINNABLE if you fall from it once by the way), was just a very complicated Hammer combo of "Press Run -> Press Run -> Press Run -> Repeat". Post-checkpoint, the ride is bugged, it'll reverse before it passes through the spikes, so you HAVE to take a hit to get past it. Died after the checkpoint? Tough stuff, start over. There's no way this was playtested. If you somehow MIRACULOUSLY get past that, the rest is just a mess of broken sizables(most of which are graphically broken, by the way), and a mesh of enemies throws together. And then it just ends. All of this happens in the span of 2 minutes by the way.
...Yeah. You know you can do better than this, this just screams "rushjob".

Chad - 0.50
The functionality of this level equates to your use of the word "vanilla" in the title. Enough of the foundation is there that the purpose is recognizable, but enough of it is broken that it just doesn't quite work.

ElTipsta - 1.50This level is impossible to complete without cheating. The platform line just after the checkpoint has a break within it so the platform goes back on itself before it can get through the spike passage. That entire line needs to have half of it replaced. You need to test your levels properly, dude. If you can make Megaman out of vanilla graphics, you can test the level too. It's a shame, because the level was flawless up till that point, and after that the graphics get a little weird.
36. Dog of Annoyance - A Vanilla Level - 1.60
Bossedit8 - 2.50
Castle level with things that I say... is ok but not much to say except that there's multiple power ups as of how you navigate through the areas. Even if it's kind of neat and all there's one that you can just simply being stuck if you're doing this wrong by the turn blocks. Others it's ok. No real enemies to avoid and it's short. That's... all I can say to it. At the end there is a Toad saying that the princess is in another castle but well... no boss for ya. Have fun.

This one doesn’t even get a review. Simply put, lazy designer.

Zipper - 0.00
Congrats, you know what power-ups do. You basically turned a 6-line text message into a level. There's nothing to discuss about, you give the player ONE chance to use the HIP NEW power-up they just got for about 2 seconds and then do something else...which ALSO lasts 2 seconds.
Yeah uh, I don't have anything else to say. You can do better than this.

Chad - 1.50
This is extremely minimalistic. It demonstrates a bunch of one-off concepts with what appears to be as little effort as possible, and then just as quickly ends. I guess it has a tiny bit of variety, but doesn't do nearly enough with any of it.

ElTipsta - 4.00
Well, this is short lived. It's basically a short fortress level with basic usage of the variosu powerups. An expanded version of this would've been great, as the level is over in under a minute. Vanilla graphics fit well.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: SVLC 2016 (RESULTS!)

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Phew, glad I'm not in the bottom tier. Except now the waits will start to get more suspenseful.
Last edited by HeroLinik on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:44 pm

beautiful
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Prongo and mechdragon are my favourite designers ao far in this contest.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:58 pm

i cant believe that zyglrox won
im a girl yo

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:58 pm

what Chad zlaker said
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Weird, I remember giving out 4 zeroes.

...I wonder what happened to the fourth one...

edit: I think it was one of the disqualified ones, nevermind

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Prongo and mechdragon are my favourite designers ao far in this contest.
Thanks, but I just submitted a dev level. Eltipsa is right about it being rushed, I had no time. I just wanted to show what you can do with Vanilla SMBX (The lava waves).

ImageImageImage

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Martyr of SMBXdom
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Zipper wrote:Weird, I remember giving out 4 zeroes.

...I wonder what happened to the fourth one...

edit: I think it was one of the disqualified ones, nevermind
pappy's power challenge was made by liamsjunk
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Zipper wrote:edit: I think it was one of the disqualified ones, nevermind
Yeah and this is why I put that image up there before that one level that's impossible to open with all of the original SMBX versions lol.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Yay. Past the bottom tier! Btw,
as303298 wrote:
Somewhat offended

Return to “Level Contests”