Super Community Contest - We have a Winner!

Official community level contests.
Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Re: Super Community Contest

Postby Oshi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:05 pm

I need to work on my level, it's looking good!!
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
Spoiler: show
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

Kixubug
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Project EonShroom
Chat Username: Kixu

Postby Kixubug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Changed! I'm out of the contest!
PLEASE NOTE: I often rarely used this site in case if I could. If you want to talk to me please Private Message me so I can answer your questions.

SOCIAL LINKS:
deivantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/kixubug
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kixubug
tumblr: https://kixibugstudios.tumblr.com/
The Three Main Mascots: show

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm

The101MarioGuy wrote:Changed! I'm out of the contest!
There were never sign-ups so...

Inspirited
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Inspirited » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 am

Watch out for the Freestyle Level!
Check out my levels!

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:16 pm

I was just thinking about something...

Since we have a lot of judges this contest, why not use something like the truncated mean? Since some peeps might still think people can be biased or have bad tastes in general, this system actively removes outlier scores so that they won't affect the placement of the level, while still keeping the scores from most of the judges.
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

dragonfan96
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby dragonfan96 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 am

Its been 76 days since I last been here officially, I'm not really that "thrilled" into SMBX as I once was but you know what, I might as well do one last SMBX level, Since MegaMaker is more "trendy" lately might as well change up the gameplay, :shrug:

Sign me up
-Community Contest Results-
CC9- Placed 46th 5.36/10 Sands of Time Tier 3
CC11- Placed 51st 5.72/10 Volcanic Panic Tier 5

You can Find Me Here forums.OmegaRealm.com
On the MC server omegarealm.com (play.omegarealm.com)
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8FMZ ... MJe94tH2Yw

AlphaFenix
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby AlphaFenix » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 pm

I not even start my level yet. I need determination. My class will start in the first day of august, so i need to hurry.

My project!

Ruan555
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Comical Adventure
Chat Username: Ruan555

Postby Ruan555 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

AlphaFenix wrote:I not even start my level yet. I need determination. My class will start in the first day of august, so i need to hurry.
I haven't started my level yet and my class already started. I'd say we're on a very similar situation, but mine is slightly worse. I hope we can finish our levels in time either way, and i wish good luck to you too.
Current Project

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex
Current Project: [ERROR 404: PROJECT NOT FOUND]
Chat Username: Yoshi678

Postby Yoshi678 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Ruan555 wrote:
AlphaFenix wrote:I not even start my level yet. I need determination. My class will start in the first day of august, so i need to hurry.
I haven't started my level yet and my class already started. I'd say we're on a very similar situation, but mine is slightly worse. I hope we can finish our levels in time either way, and i wish good luck to you too.
Aye. Good luck to the pair of you, both in making a level the judges will enjoy and not letting classes get in the way of the deadline. (Which as of posting this is still 19 days away, We all still got plenty of time.) But I have started my level and spent the better part of today really getting in there and making progress on it. I'd now say it's around 30-40% done.

I'm like Sans in a way. Just replace the puns with witty banter and remove the crippling depression. :P

=Contest Results in Order of Participation=
SVLC 2016: 17th/42 (Simple Wood Level - 6.07)
Downwards Level Contest: 6th/6 (*I don't remember the level name or score.) (Currently my greatest failure as a level designer.)
Super Community Contest: ?th/46 (Rhedoht Woods) (Disqualified for broken submission. RIP me. =\)

sleepyLundus
Banned
Chat Username: sleepyLundus

Postby sleepyLundus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I'll be ready to submit my level soon.
Avatar is from the Horrortale comic by Sour-Apple Studios.

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex

Postby Yoshi678 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 am

Well damn it. I've encountered a pretty miserable problem on my end and it's f*cked up my masks. I hope I can get it fixed soon...

I'm like Sans in a way. Just replace the puns with witty banter and remove the crippling depression. :P

Downwards Level Contest: 6th/6 (*I don't remember the level name or score.) (Currently my greatest failure as a level designer.)
Super Community Contest: ?th/46 (Rhedoht Woods) (Disqualified for broken submission. RIP me. =\)

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 am

Yoshi678 wrote:Well damn it. I've encountered a pretty miserable problem on my end and it's f*cked up my masks. I hope I can get it fixed soon...
Just use PNG?

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex

Postby Yoshi678 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am

The0x539 wrote: Just use PNG?
What? Just convert all my graphics to .png as opposed to the .gif files they've always been?

Doesntpostverymuch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: Resting
Chat Username: Doesntpostverymuch

Postby Doesntpostverymuch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Yoshi678 wrote:
What? Just convert all my graphics to .png as opposed to the .gif files they've always been?

Paint.net can edit both files just fine =p
i'm not very good at level design, please be specfic and tolerant of my ingorance.
Spinda wrote:by honestly I mean honestly
Try to guess what this next one means out of context
Supershroom wrote:Yeah, let's not please push on it this hard and then we'll get it hopefully.
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
TLtimelord wrote:"Cunt" was a bit aggressive, my bad
thehelmetguy1 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:People may as well stop submitting since this game's going to win either way.
I made the next one by accident
PixelPest wrote:Have you actually looked at how long
Witchking666 wrote:Ooh werewolves!
Approved!
I am highly autistic and get into misunderstandings easily. I also have ADHD.

What are you doing still looking at my post? scroll down to the next one!

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Yoshi678 wrote:
If you're using the PGE editor, there should be an option which will help you to safely convert graphics to PNG format. Note that just changing the file format isn't the only step required to change working GIFs to working PNGs, as working PNGs do not have masks.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Zha Hong Lang wrote:
Yoshi678 wrote:
If you're using the PGE editor, there should be an option which will help you to safely convert graphics to PNG format. Note that just changing the file format isn't the only step required to change working GIFs to working PNGs, as working PNGs do not have masks.
Also if your masks are broken, the converter won't work too well. Manually replacing black with transparency in the actual file, though, should work fine, and then you save as PNG.

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex

Postby Yoshi678 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Zha Hong Lang wrote: If you're using the PGE editor, there should be an option which will help you to safely convert graphics to PNG format. Note that just changing the file format isn't the only step required to change working GIFs to working PNGs, as working PNGs do not have masks.
Also if your masks are broken, the converter won't work too well. Manually replacing black with transparency in the actual file, though, should work fine, and then you save as PNG.
Allow me to explain my predicament in more detail. I ran the fix bad masks tool (And yes I'm using PGE) out of curiosity and it turned my graphics from this:
To this:

It's not just these two though. Most of the custom graphics in my level have been broken in this fashion.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Zha Hong Lang wrote:I was just thinking about something...

Since we have a lot of judges this contest, why not use something like the truncated mean? Since some peeps might still think people can be biased or have bad tastes in general, this system actively removes outlier scores so that they won't affect the placement of the level, while still keeping the scores from most of the judges.
That's not a good idea. The whole point of judges is to have different opinions
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am

JupiHornet wrote:That's not a good idea. The whole point of judges is to have different opinions
Yet people use the truncated mean all the time for judging, especially in sports. Someone even suggested it for maglx3 if they had enough judges.

This doesn't mean that the judges' reviews shouldn't be mentioned if they hit the high or low barrier, but just that their score would not be used in the final mean. If six judges score a level 70-80, and one scores the level 30, then all this does is avoid a score of 69 instead of 75. The end goal isn't to get rid of their opinion, but to avoid it from negatively effecting placement if it's too much of an outlier.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 am

Zha Hong Lang wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:That's not a good idea. The whole point of judges is to have different opinions
Yet people use the truncated mean all the time for judging, especially in sports. Someone even suggested it for maglx3 if they had enough judges.

This doesn't mean that the judges' reviews shouldn't be mentioned if they hit the high or low barrier, but just that their score would not be used in the final mean. If six judges score a level 70-80, and one scores the level 30, then all this does is avoid a score of 69 instead of 75. The end goal isn't to get rid of their opinion, but to avoid it from negatively effecting placement if it's too much of an outlier.
In other words, it prevents the Quill Factor

Return to “Level Contests”