SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Want to Help With the World Map?)

Official community level contests.
PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 1?!)

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 am

Enjl wrote:Drawing this out over a week seems like it would very quickly kill the hype. I think revealing 10 or 13 per day would've been a good balance between quantity and suspense.
In the past results have even taken longer than that. I think the six days this will take is pretty reasonable

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:24 am

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote:Drawing this out over a week seems like it would very quickly kill the hype. I think revealing 10 or 13 per day would've been a good balance between quantity and suspense.
In the past results have even taken longer than that. I think the six days this will take is pretty reasonable
Don't get me wrong. 6 is certainly better than 10, I just think that both feel needlessly bloated.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Remember when we bullied mivixion into releasing all the results in a day?

It's time for the Sanct thing™ PixelPest. Prepare yourself.
She/Her

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:Remember when we bullied mivixion into releasing all the results in a day?

It's time for the Sanct thing™ PixelPest. Prepare yourself.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:20 pm

I am willing to compensate and have results done in 5 days instead of 6

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:32 pm

PixelPest wrote:I am willing to compensate and have results done in 5 days instead of 6
So that means from now on we'll have 8 placements revealed each day instead of 6-7? (since there are 32 levels left to reveal)

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby Ryaa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:46 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
PixelPest wrote:I am willing to compensate and have results done in 5 days instead of 6
So that means from now on we'll have 8 placements revealed each day instead of 6-7? (since there are 32 levels left to reveal)
Sounds pretty reasonable
Pronounced like "Rai-ah"

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Ryaa wrote:
ShadowStarX wrote:
Sounds pretty reasonable
I also think it sounds reasonable. I was not expecting this twist either by the way.

ImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 2!)

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Gentle reminder to please wait until results are over to release your level.

Disqualifications (Take 2)
  • DreDust has been disqualified for submitting someone else's level as their own. This is very unacceptable and disappointing behaviour. Thank you to the user who brought this to my attention.

And here is the second wave of your results!

Participants' names below will be bolded upon their results being released.
  • krazykat
  • Ludwig_von Koopa
  • Yang
  • Bowser is ded
  • Darkonious Mavakar
  • Shadow Turtle
  • FrozenHeatDesert
  • 7NameSam
  • DreDust DQ
  • Ditchencat
  • ShadowStarX
  • 1AmPlayer
  • Quantumenace
  • The0x539
  • Sanct
  • Zipper
  • Snowy_Desert
  • AndrewPixel
  • Smesblem
  • Quantix
  • Cloth pocket
  • h2643 DQ
  • 55jedat555
  • Taycamgame
  • Artemis008
  • Enjl
  • Yoshi021
  • thehelmetguy1
  • Ryaa
  • Musicality_Minister45
  • Mosaic
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • litchh
  • Pseudo
  • Electriking
  • ap3jmpt
  • Ness-Wednesday
  • kinggodot
  • NegativeBread
Artemis008 - City in Turmoil (48.3/100)
Spoiler: show
PixelPest (26 | 15 | 9)--50/100: This level was fun, but just too short to properly expand on the gimmick, which although relatively simple, could have had some interesting things done with this. However, it was a little confusing when the buildings were first sinking into the lava and it wasn't conveyed very well just by having the coins stay in place, which due to the player's perspective initially made it looked like the lava and coins were moving up. I wasn't too fond of the bombs falling from the sky either and didn't feel like it added much to the level. The secret star was also almost more of a guess than a cleverly-placed secret. The airship riding section was also uncreative and ruined the flow of the level, providing very little challenge and fast-paced excitement compared to the first half. The first section was okay in terms of aesthetics, although not everything seemed to fit, especially the buildings which were very bright in contrast to the background and the fill tiles which didn't look very good in with the style of many of the other elements. The boss section was especially aesthetically unappealing however kudos to the clever idea of taking a default boss and changing one simple attribute to completely change the feel of the boss battle. I really liked the concept of making the boss shoot solid projectile blocks as it made the battle unique.

Spinda (24 | 9 | 8)--41/100: The level itself felt pretty lackluster. The idea of sinking buildings is interesting, but is never really used aside from forcing the player to not just stop in the middle of the area. The issue is that there isn't really much in those sections that would force a player to stop. Some interaction with non-sinking objects in those or some obstacles to slow the player down in those sections (like timing a jump maybe, potentially even using the bomb generators that were already in the level) would be appreciated. The section where you sit on the ship is basically a really slow and uninteresting autoscroller. The spawning enemies pose little threat and there's barely any variation.
The boss fight is pretty alright, although somewhat bland, due to Doopliss posing too little of a threat: The idea of the fire balls not hurting you, but potentially shoving you into a wall is pretty good, but they're too easy to avoid to really pose a threat. The most dangerous part of this boss is probably the player kicking a shell while in midair and it then flying off a wall and back in their face. Unfortunately, this boss has little connection to the level. A boss that used some kind of element from the previous part would make the level flow more smoothly.
The city graphics used look rather flat and unappealing and don't really fit with the lava or the airship graphics. Additionally, it's not made clear that jumping on Doopliss hurts the player.

bossedit8 (23 | 15 | 16)--54/100: This city isn't safe for us, especially when Airships, Lava and also buildings that sink down into the lava aswell... oh my! I like how when after I climb up and then I just jump left back where I started that there's a star at the top of it as some kind of a secret area there which is pretty cool. Anyway, at first I thought the coins were moving upwards when I was jumping over houses then I realise that the whole building structure is sinking down into lava... a little difficult to indicate that when the background is dark and then that the section is bigger than usual that the lava is also not noticable at first till you see them fully and move on! Hello Toad on an airship, that moves slowly with some enemies coming from their airships and such. I guess I find it ok but not much is going on... oh and never, ever put a slope on a moving layer since when you do that it can be super glitchy depending on it's interactions and such. After that Toad you get to the "out of place" halfway point since it's just there in the air (like seriously, that's just lazy to just put the midway point NPC there with no background objects surrounding it so it doesn't just float in air like that). On top of that, once you spawn at that halfway point the player starts at the top because the sizeable is in the way. After that you get to the boss which is a Toad that is evil and then Doopliss which replaces SMB3 Bowser but faster and then shooting Airship pieces at you which don't hurt but just push you. I find that quite funny but you made the guy move faster every jump so I firstly got hit since I didn't know he would be moving faster than usual during his jump. Since it's SMB3 Bowser, you gotta hit that guy 20 times which is gonna take a bit to defeat that boss but since you fight the boss right away after the halfway point and that Toad it's reasonable... but it does get kinda repetitive after a while but y'know, it's SMB3 Bowser so not much can be done about that. Overall, the level was neat but it could of done more than that especially since that the slow moving airship area is just not much there. Music is quite fitting though. Definitely adding to the atmosphere.
Electriking - Switch-it Up Desert (70.3/100)
Reviews: show
PixelPest (38 | 23 | 17)--78/100: This was quite a nice example of some solid four-step level design (even though it kinda didn't explore the third step) and was a pretty solid level in all respects. However, it was a little too short; there was so much more it could have explored with what it had already done. The aesthetics were pretty solid and the challenges had a nice progression to them. I'm surprised how many levels used this mechanic, though this was probably the only one which explored it effectively. Well done.

Spinda (30 | 13 | 16)--59/100: This level was rather short and unfortunately didn't do much with its gimmick. There's only really one time where the switch platforms aren't arranged in an alternating pattern, so this gimmick doesn't make too big of an impact on the level.
Aside from that this is just a standard romp with not a lot to it.

bossedit8 (38 | 21 | 15)--74/100: Basically Flip-Swap panels but in switches and more solid... and a little buggy because when you perform a small jump they don't switch... they only activate if you perform a little bigger jump to maximum jump or by simply spinjumping. Well, it's sadly how SMBX works so we gotta go with that I guess. Eitherway, this level is rather sweet going and it's length is basically like how a lot of regular Mario levels are going along with which is good. There are slight secrets involved like where you are able to skip the whole jumping on the switchable blocks with your shoe but to find it it's in a invisible block over some pits... and the invisible block is over that one small block aswell. Not to mention, the whole landmass is pretty much high up on the screen like these power up blocks are very high, close to be off the top of the screen. I mean it's not much of an issue but it also kinda obstructs the view a little bit aswell. Other than that, the whole level is pretty neatly designed with upgoing difficulty aswell. At the end though, quite weird how there are 2 endings to this. One is a SMB3 Star and the other is a SMB3 Roulette Exit... and that literally at the same section at the same exit area.
litchh - Fusion;Crossroads (50/100)
PixelPest (28 | 8 | 11)--47/100: At the surface the level looked exciting but ended up not having a lot to it. Although it experimented at a mixed crossover-type environment there were a few notably eyesore transitions and mixing of multiple graphical styles that didn't fit. The platforming was repetitive and the placement of enemies seemed random and lacked any interesting set-ups or variety. It ended up just being really rompy and having very little to it.

Spinda (20 | 6 | 15)--41/100: The idea of combining many different enemies is good in concept, but this level very much goes for a ""quality over quantity"" vibe. Sure, it's neat to see stuff like Waddle Doos, but when you only see one of them the novelty quickly wears off. Aside from that, this level is painfully average. The enemies rarely bring anything new to the table and due to how many there are this level drags on for too long without being interesting.
The graphics are probably this level's strong suit, it's neat to see the different transitions and touches like the background changing in the Mega Man section is pretty neat.

bossedit8 (31| 17 | 14)--62/100: I do remember this level quite well surprisingly considering the fact that it's from another fangame. Basically you have multiple themes going along together into one level and I find it to be pretty neatly designed for sure. We have Mario, Kirby, MegaMan, Kid Icarus and some other themes I don't really know what they're coming from but it's quite well designed. You even add those MegaMan death effects like as of how they're supposed to act but those jumping enemies from MegaMan, they can be quite difficult to dodge especially if you have multiples of them jumping around like that. Also, power ups are not that many to find apparently... makes the level more challenging for sure. There is this one secret area where you get coins after finding it... and that's it. Not even 1 or some power ups to gather! Just 20 coins there for you to collect! Suuureee! Also that Waddle Doo that shoots out beam from their eye, it's a neat effect although it's only once as in once you let that guy walk further the enemy doesn't do it again... how sad! I know how difficult it is to add more of that guy but I do think there's a possibility to let that guy shoot it again instead of just once... oh well. Other than that, not much to say but it's pretty cool nonetheless.
Musicality_Minister45 - #Idonthavethetimeorpatienceforacontestlevel (28.7/100)
PixelPest (18 | 5 | 10)--33/100: The first few sections of this level were pretty enjoyable. Music choice could've been better to help develop the atmosphere more because for the most part the level was quite aesthetically appealing and had a nice feel to it but the music didn't fit. In terms of aesthetics though, the use of the sizables as background fill tiles in some sections was a little excessive and eyesore and in some areas the level felt a bit overworked from the business in the decorations of the ground. Some more power-ups would have especially been nice just due to the large number of enemies and the business of the level, especially when suddenly shell-kicking koopas are introduced in a busy area when trying to dodge two paragoombas (in the second section). The secret area was hidden quite cleverly as well. However, the level in general was pretty rompy and didn't explore any apparent mechanic and the enemy set-ups were varied but not overly effective. Coins also seemed to clutter up some areas unnecessarily, not really being used for any real purpose and just clumped in the main path. The second phase of the bossfight was a severe difficult point and really spammed the player between an SMB3 Bowser reskin, four reskinned rinka generators, and two generators for jumping parakoopas which was really tough and excessive, especially when not providing the player with any power-ups except for two before the boss room. The first phase, just throwing two Boom Booms in the section, wasn't very exciting either and easily exploited via SMB2 veggies. Overall the boss battles didn't really add much to the level and mostly took away from it due to their excessive difficulty and the rest of the level was pretty uneventful.

Spinda (10 | 5 | 8)--23/100: This level is rather average and doesn't have much of a focus. The biggest thing it brings to the table are probably the occasional Blue Beach Koopa from Section 2 onwards, however I feel that their placement often merely serves to punish players wanting to go fast through this otherwise bland level. It's often better to have those enemies placed in a way that upon initially spawning, they shoot their shell in a way that it rebounds. That way, players have more time to react and aren't just shot at out of the blue.
The secret where you enter a pipe directly under a sizable is kinda neat albeit a little obvious. Unfortunately, it doesn't really offer too much and the rest of the level is just a straightforward romp.
The bosses really hurt this level. If this level had ended at the midpoint it'd be a straightforward, average level, but the bosses have no business being here other than just so this level can have the mandatory boss fights. The 2 Boom Booms are not too exciting but also pretty inoffensive, even though they have little relation to the level that came previously, but fighting SMB3 Bowser while there's 4 Rinka spawners and 2 Parakoopa Spawners with your only weapons being SMB2 Veggies and Shells from the Paratroopas is an incredible pain that has absolutely no business being here. It also really clashes with the level that came beforehand in a conceptual way: Nothing about the level indicated this kind of boss to come and the difficulty spike is huge.

bossedit8 (15 | 7 | 8)--30/100: Let me just start next to an enemy so if I don't move for about 3 seconds I get damaged! The level as of how it goes it went alright. Pretty straightforward grassland level with occational talking NPCs that are... a bit off but not too bad nonetheless. I do like your little secret you have there where you get to that one pipe that is more difficult to reach than the rest of it... but your reward gains a lot of coins. Also you have spawning generators where those enemies are way less likely to fall off at the pits so you have a high chance to farm 1UPs from them. Enemy placements were alright, adds up to the challenge on the level. Now to something more obscure as of how this level is going with, after the halfway point you get to a room before boss type of area with a boss door from the castle tiles which is quite weird for a grassland type area since there's no real indication that it does... well maybe except for the first Toad at the beginning of the level but that's it. Anyway, onto the boss which are 2 Boom Booms and a little slow Veggie on a grass generator at the middle. Doesn't seem too bad for now but after you defeat them, after a long waiting sequence you get to something that spikes up the difficulty unnecessarily high there. You get a SMB3 Bowser with a couple Rinka and Para-Koopa generators. Fuuuunnn! Least you can just hold your Veggie next to Bowser to get a quick kill on the boss so you don't have to deal with such huge difficulty spike like this. Also he spawning on top of the player including pipes at the sides you are able to get hurt unfairly or clip through the wall like that. Overall, the level itself went fine at the beginning till the halfway point, then it got killed for me. Music choices are neat though.
Quantumenace - Zenith Weapon Works (84.7/100) ***PixelPest's Favourite***
PixelPest (39 | 24 | 17)--80/100: I just want to start by saying that the work that went into this level is tremendous and gush over the fact that it has 12000+ lines of custom code, because I just find that jaw-dropping (though doesn't factor into the score directly just to make that clear). What was also jaw-dropping is that this level managed to keep me intrigued for almost all of the approximately hour and fourty-five minutes it took me to play this from start to finish...without dying. There were a lot of gimmicky ideas in this, such as the tank treads as a method of defense and transportation across lava, which were expanded on pretty effectively. There were also a lot of little subtle details, such as a large ship slowly approaching from the background. A lot of these 2.5D effects were quite stunning. The ship yard part was probably my favourite, where you encounter a bunch of battleships that attack you one by one, which provided lots of variety and some interesting challenges. However, some of the areas were slightly cramped and the robotic arm part was super cool but a little janky in terms of its interactions with the player. The bossfight took me about 45 minutes to complete, namely due to me not realizing that I actually was not really damaging the boss...until about 15 minutes in. All of the subtleties in this bossfight were amazing, such as the ship slightly tilting as you bust its motor on one side, however it did seem to go on for a little too long and as the phases began repeating it became less and less exciting and just a little dry to be completely honest. The aesthetics in this level were pretty crazy in the latter part of the level, however in the earlier part of the level not all of the components seemed to fit really well. Despite this, the atmosphere was pretty nicely put-together with the noticeable specific elements that developed the different scenes, such as the different sets of recurring enemies, such that it wasn't completely disjointed, however at some points it was slightly noticeable. Beating this level was extremely satisfying and if I don't play the whole thing again, I definitely want to play some bits and pieces of it.

Spinda (35 | 26 | 20)--81/100: Oh man, this was a long one.
So, first of all, the best thing about this level is the presentation. Not only are there some really amazing effects at work (the final boss showcases most of them so if you do check out one thing about this level, it's that), and I can't overstate how good some of these look, but one thing I really liked is how this whole level you're going along with the development of bombs, tanks and bullet bill blasters, among others, and it's super cool to see how you start out with the ore, then melt it down into bombs and apply the fuse, and almost every step of the way comes with an appropiate gimmick. My favorite would probably be the amount of bullet bills being pressed into a bullet bill blaster. This whole location seemed so fleshed-out, which is especially impressive considering that a lot of assets used to build it are vanilla graphics, and it still manages to look believable and cohesive.
This level has been created over the span of over a year, and it shows. Not just in the amount of detail and cohesion, but also in less positive ways in the level design. I believe that the creator got so intimate with all the mechanics that the level as a whole suffered because it became too difficult and too clustered. For instance, the Mouser boss you fight early on leads to there being about 10 bombs on-screen at any time, 4 bullet bill blasters right in your way and about 10 blocks you have to stack while they drop onto conveyers which you have to control using switches while the bombs can also trigger the switches. Stuff like that is just too much and not fun anymore.
A similar fate applies to the level as a whole: I started playing at 10:52 pm, and was only finished at 12:58 am, and that was with using donthurtme after I died a bunch of times in a section. There are plenty of checkpoints, but tackling such a long level just ends up draining you, which is a shame.
The level as a whole has a lot of moments where things get too clustered. For instance, there's a few times where you've got about 3 torpedo ted blasters aiming at you at once, and while the tech behind them is impressive, it just becomes overbearing, especially when you also have to tackle Hammer Bros. and Snifits that aim at you at the same time, or even the Jelectro sentries that are pretty cool in concept but ultimately end up being too much as well.
The final boss is super impressive from a technical side and has some neat design behind it, but it ends up taking up such a long time and you also have to go through so many phases of the boss being in the background without you being able to retaliate that it also becomes pretty draining - 30 minutes of my playtime were with the boss alone.
Ultimately, this review ended up sounding rather negative but the core design that is used is pretty well-executed in isolation. Stuff like the final gauntlet before the boss preparing you for it and even stuff like a ring of rinkas that expands first being destroyed by automated bombs and then you having to do that yourself in the boss are pretty impressive design.

bossedit8 (44 | 29 | 20)--93/100: Oh... my... lord... this was probably the longest level I ever played... ever in my SMBX history! Like damn, this took me way, way longer than I even think it would be. The story as of how the whole, and I do mean, the whole level has been going with is very neat and amazing although, if you are a regular Mario player, being more impatient and didn't expect this to happen on your way at all, you're highly likely going to feel tired of it due to the level being this surpremengly long like that. I do love what you did with legimitely everything though like tank treats riding over hazards with multiple ways as of how it's done, factories with respawnable blocks that can be either interacted or not, outside and inside areas of the factory area with newly created enemies you've never seen in the Mario universe, slight gravity appearances during conveyor belts in the far later area where you can't jump high at all, laser pointers for targets on the player, a power up that's quite amazing to like play with, and many, many more I would like to list up but let it not spoil everything. There are at least a lot of checkpoints along the way and also secret discoveries are cool too. These bosses though throughout the level, I do find a lot of them clever but I think the Mouser fight was probably one of the weirdest Midbosses there is I would say as of how to fight him and such. I like how you even make Birdo more of a threat than she already is. The rest is pretty much super custom I would say, like damn, those bosses are really cleverly designed, and it just gets better later on! Like seriously, I would never thought of doing something like that especially for a very lengthy level like that. I do would love it more if these levels are more split up appart so the lag isn't as much of an occourance and also that trucking through everything will take a long while to complete it all especially for newer players... but yeah, it is a single level and for a contest only one level is allowed so yeah that does make sense. So yeah, took me a lot of tries for sure but even so, this level is simply amazing! Sometimes I do feel that the projectiles are a biiit too much for the players to handle especially the final boss and since you can only have 2 power ups like that, it can be quite frustrating (I know that you get power ups during bosses but still). What I do like what you did though is that the power ups immediadly jumps to the player once dropped which is very neat.
ShadowStarX - Cyberfrost Facility (79/100)
PixelPest (34 | 20 | 16)--70/100: I quite enjoyed this level, especially how much it explored the gimmick. It was nice to see the conveyor ladders introduced in a relatively safe setting, however I think it would be better to start exploring set-ups without the impending threat of instant-killing lava, and instead just begin with some set-ups that don't hurt the player if they hit the top or bottom of the ladder, and then work your way up to adding spikes at the top (so the player is just harmed but not necessarily instantly killed), and then lava. What somewhat disappointed me was the introduction of the lasers. It was interesting that they were introduced in their own section without the ladders and then introduced with the ladders again, however they really slowed down the gameplay. The first part of the level was quite fast-paced and the lasers absolutely ruined the flow. Their set-ups also became very similar and unvaried towards the end of the level and also started getting less creative. This level probably would have benefitted from solely working with the ladders as a mechanic and playing around as you did with them, without the large amount of stalling the player was required to do. The sections that forced the player to move fast due to a scrolling laser were an interesting addition that forced the player to move faster, however I think it would have been better if these two sections were not back-to-back. Adding the poisoning mechanic in which the player could no longer jump was interesting, but again incorporated in some ways that slowed the player down significantly and the last section was very repetitive with its set-ups and often just required the player to climb slowly up a ladder (sometimes moving in the opposite direction the player tries to climb) and then falling off onto a block or another ladder. Another thing this level did well were the subtle changes in music which really added to the atmosphere and just the overall feeling of it. The aesthetics overall were pretty well-developed, however there was a slight graphical discrepancy when lasers overlapped and I think it might have been more effective if the lava was gray (or at least less saturated) since it stuck out a little too much compared to the other graphics. Other things like the ticking sound for the lasers helped the player know when they were switching, which was well-executed, however again this level would have been much better if it started exploring with the ladders a little more thoroughly instead of jumping ahead quickly and then into the lasers which severely disturbed the flow of the level.

Spinda (40 | 21 | 16)--77/100: Ths was a really good level! My biggest gripe is probably the first few sections - the gimmicks by themselves aren't too exiting and they don't need to be by themselves for such a long time. I also feel that the timing of the lasers in the first section that they appear take a bit too long to appear/disappear considering that there aren't any extremely tough challenges in that section - there's quite a bit of waiting as a result.
I really liked the combination of all the elements in the latter sections. Having to control your height when waiting for the laser to toggle is a good way to get around the issue with waiting that earlier sections had, and I like how it is combined with some of the jumps you have to do - they aren't all that tough in isolation, but by making it harder to reposition yourself and making it impossible to just idly wait, those jumps get a decent level of challenge.
I'm not a huge fan of the autoscroll section - waiting is already discouraged by the design of the conveyor ladders, so it doesn't really add too much to the level. It would've been interesting to maybe see that autoscroll in combination with not being able to jump. Additionally, this level has some issues with telegraphing, especially concerning the Ice Flower: neither Hammer Bros. nor Buzzy Beetles are able to be frozen, yet there is no indication of that. It's also not really made clear the the yellow laser instantly kills the player.
The last section is really good and is probably the best use of the conveyor ladders in the game. Having to actually use them to gain any height makes you rethink many of the setups previously used in the level, although it is cut a bit too short - having a larger part of the level dedicated to this gimmick and having less of the introductory parts would improve the flow.

bossedit8 (48 | 24 | 18)--90/100: Frostbyte Warning ahead... or at least as of how it looks as a whole. Ok so what do we have here in this level... we have ladders that acts like conveyor belts and the different colors means different directions which is quite nice since later on they're been used to it's full potential. We even have lasers later on that are being used to it's full potential once being introduced and thankfully you added multiple checkpoints so we don't have to redo most of the level again... and also very fairly placed too. Enemy placements were also pretty neat like you have podoboos and grinders added in such a way where you made the ladder part more interesting and challenging rather than just simply acrossing it without danger. Also those beetles that can't be frozen by iceballs, there are specific places that once you kick the shell, let it bounce back and forth and keep on throwing iceballs at the shell you basically gain a chain reaction of coins and then 1UPs. A little weird but well, we can honestly blame redigit for that since iceballs were implemented pretty late in the game and they have their own buggy aspects like that. For some reason the music, once you get to the part where it switches the music it has a slight different volume into it which is a little odd but oh well, it's a notice. I like how it gets relatively challenging with the ladders and laser part while still being engaged with the level design here... like later on you gotta even flee from the laser or else you're gonna die immediadly but don't worry, checkpoints right before the flee part! But also before the flee part there is a secret exit for you to get which is a SMB3 Star. After the fleeing part you get closer to the end but one last few moments you are unable to jump in these few sections which basically means, the challenge is to know where to go without the ability to jump. After that you get the end with a SMB3 Star.
Smesblem - Infernal Ruins (52.7/100)
PixelPest (36 | 7 | 17)--60/100: The exploration-based nature of this level was interesting and the areas weren't overly large as to require backtracking from the player or for them to get lost. On the other hand though, there really didn't seem to be much else going on in the level. The atmosphere and aesthetics were nice, though it almost felt a little empty at times, though there weren't very many challenges or interesting set-ups of obstacles, nor really any significant difficulty curve; the level remained pretty stagnant and started to get boring at times, even though it wasn't too long. In terms of the mechanics it used, with the platforms that switched when jumping, there weren't really many varied set-ups with them or challenges; they mostly just seemed to be a means of getting across a pit rather than an exciting obstacle for the player and their set-ups weren't varied. The falling platforms weren't used very effectively either (due to the same situation completely) and didn't need to be explained at the beginning; you simply could have shown the player a short trail of coins leading down and they probably would have caught what you were implying. Overall this level just didn't cut it in terms of creativity as it just didn't provide much progression or variation of any kind really.

Spinda (30 | 10 | 15)--55/100: Ok so first of all please don't use signs like you did at the start. The blocks switching should be pretty obvious after 3.75 seconds of seeing them in action and the fragile blocks looking exactly like the normal blocks is... a weird choice. It'd be better if they were at least recolored. You could introduce them better by forcing the player to fall with one of those blocks or something similar.
The first actual gameplay section felt way too nonfocussed for me. I felt myself constantly lost and not sure which way was correct and when I followed an arrow pointing downwards I had to backtrack all the way up because I didn't go left at a junction. Then there's a mandatory switch to be used after the midpoint but it's placed before the midpoint so you have to backtrack every time you die which is... nice.
The more linear sections play better, but a general issue is that the switching blocks just... aren't used well at all. They serve barely any change aside from making you jump once before taking on a row of them, since they're always placed in a way that you can just go through without any issues which makes one wonder why they were included in the first place.

bossedit8 (17 | 12 | 14)--43/100: A big level to play with a couple checkpoints along the way. I do like how you did with the atmosphere, the whole level's structures, some several pathways to go along and challenges but I do find a couple places to be a little less enjoyable. Example, even if there are multiple pathways to go along with, you gotta figure it out as of what to do which is exploring the level, find the switch and then you can go further but even after hitting the switch you have to walk to the desired area where the wall disappeared and it's indication isn't much there either which makes it unnecessarily more difficult by walking around and getting flames and spinies around the area. You even have those blocks that every time you jump or spinjump they switch... which is alright but later on it just gets more repetitive... samething for enemies and such... I mean not everything is always repetitive but it's just, mostly is just the same thing and the length isn't too helpful either. The first checkpoint is in such a place that you firstly run right instead of left to hit the switch in order to advance... so yeah, more time wasting. Oh and there is this one pipe that once you take it you have a small chance to land on the roto-disk which is pretty unfair. I'm not a fan of having spikes next to a block where you can stand on, makes it slightly bigger to not land on that set of block next to a spike and such. Also I'd rather have those blocks that fall be more indicational like having cracks on it rather than just be like the others but maybe that's just me. What I do like is that some of the tiles do float on lava which is quite cool. There is a secret star where you need all of the dragon coins for and the main exist is a big star. Overall, decent just quite repetitive and other issues encountered.
Looks like we have a little shifting around here in our top 3! Quantumenace takes the lead with a solid score, bumping Darkonious to 2nd and ShadowStarX sneaks in and grabs 3rd...for the time being. The0x539 has been knocked out of the top 3 but still maintains a pretty strong position.
  • Quantumenace - Zenith Weapon Works (84.7/100)
  • Darkonious Mavakar - Granite Mountains (83/100)
  • ShadowStarX - Cyberfrost Facility (79/100)
Followed by:

4. The0x539 - Explosion Island Excavation Act III: Tragedy on the Solar Express (72.7/100)
5. Electriking - Switch-it Up Desert (70.3/100)
6. Quantix - Dungeon of Firebar Spam (67.7/100)
7. AndrewPixel - Line Detonation (57.7/100)
8. Smesblem - Infernal Ruins (52.7/100)
9. litchh - Fusion;Crossroads (50/100)
10. Artemis008 - City in Turmoil (48.3/100)
11. FrozenHeatDesert - Yellow Switch Palace (45/100)
12. thehelmetguy1 - Into the Desert Temple (29.7/100)
13. Musicality_Minister45 - #Idonthavethetimeorpatienceforacontestlevel (28.7/100)

That concludes today's segment. Also shout-out to some of the new faces around here who pulled through with some pretty nice scores in this contest.

More results will arrive tomorrow!

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanks! Not too bad for a first level.

I originally started making that level for Vinny's contest, but he stopped having them. Looking back there's a few things I'd have done a little differently but I'm happy you liked it.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:05 am

What is this, Sanctuary Fortress 3?
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 am

Enjl wrote:What is this, Sanctuary Fortress 3?
Sanctuary Fortress 3: Enjoyable Edition™

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Sancles-Chan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Sanctuary Fortress 2 jokes are as stale as somebody using the stretchy sanct emojies on discodehaus at this point let's be honest.
She/Her

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby Ryaa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:02 pm

This is why Mechdragon never wants to make levels
Pronounced like "Rai-ah"

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:Sanctuary Fortress 2 jokes are as stale as somebody using the stretchy sanct emojies on discodehaus at this point let's be honest.
That's very suspicious........................I like those emojis

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:Sanctuary Fortress 2 jokes are as stale as somebody using the stretchy sanct emojies on discodehaus at this point let's be honest.
more like SANCTuary fortress 2 am i right
im a girl yo

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Sancles-Chan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:53 pm

no to both
She/Her

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Spinda wrote:
more like SANCTuary fortress 2 am i right
I've already tortured Sanct enough with that pun.
You shall not pass spare him like a nice person.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 3!)

Postby PixelPest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Just a friendly reminder to please wait until results are over to release your level.

And here is the third wave of your results!

Participants' names below will be bolded upon their results being released.
  • krazykat
  • Ludwig_von Koopa
  • Yang
  • Bowser is ded
  • Darkonious Mavakar
  • Shadow Turtle
  • FrozenHeatDesert
  • 7NameSam
  • DreDust DQ
  • Ditchencat
  • ShadowStarX
  • 1AmPlayer
  • Quantumenace
  • The0x539
  • Sanct
  • Zipper
  • Snowy_Desert
  • AndrewPixel
  • Smesblem
  • Quantix
  • Cloth pocket
  • h2643 DQ
  • 55jedat555
  • Taycamgame
  • Artemis008
  • Enjl
  • Yoshi021
  • thehelmetguy1
  • Ryaa
  • Musicality_Minister45
  • Mosaic
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • litchh
  • Pseudo
  • Electriking
  • ap3jmpt
  • Ness-Wednesday
  • kinggodot
  • NegativeBread
7NameSam - HEAT (76/100)
PixelPest (30 | 13 | 15)--58/100: I felt like this level had an interesting concept behind it but wasn't executed well. The challenges didn't seem to have much of a progression to them and the level itself was unnecessarily cramped. The heat meter didn't seem necessary since the player had to move quickly already to perform most of the challenges. Some of the set-ups of the platforms were relatively uninteresting though there were also a few interesting ones that challenged the player's precision and ability to think ahead. The final section wasn't very fun and due to the player's falling speed it was difficult to actually follow the coins and hit the ice cream cones as needed. It also just in general wasn't an interesting section compared to the platforming in the rest of the level. The visuals at the end of the level were a little confusing and eyesore compared to the relatively good aesthetics throughout the rest of the level. There was also a slight issue where the player could burn up (the fire particle effect appearing) after the player had already died to an obstacle in the level, which just added to the level seeming a little unpolished. Overall it was interesting to play but the challenges could have been developed more effectively and the level would have been better without the vertical falling section whatsoever.

Spinda (40 | 21 | 14)--75/100: This level was really fun! While the ice cream idea only sees specific use a few times where you have to go out of your way to get it was well as at the end, the moving platforms were really well-executed! One gripe I had is that the platform's momentum doesn't carry over to the player - it's not too big of a deal since the level is designed around that, but after playing games like Celeste where a similar concept is used with momentum it feels akward to just... be unaffected by it now.
Overall though this level was really tightly designed and I enjoyed that, and some of the challenges, especially the one where you had to position yourself with a wall in order to get through a gap, had clever solutions.

bossedit8 (48 | 29 | 18)--95/100: What a heatful level we have here! It's so hot we can't survive for long until you pick up those... ice cream power ups that are conveniently located for you to refresh your heatness status which is, by it's own concept pretty darn neat to go through! I also love how the later you go through the level the meter goes faster up which logically it makes sense since you are actually going deeper to the underground filled with lava and also spikes aswell. We also get platforms that once you land on it it goes in a line then stops at the other end of the line and travels back slowly. It's utulised very well later on in the level like as of how the whole level is going with. Oh and forceable spinjumping, we can't forget that but it's not bad in a way where it gets too ridiculous so yeah, that's fine aswell. The level length is very good for this kind of level and since you also have multiple checkpoints it surely makes it up for how this level is designed. At the end, welcome to fall down survival till you reach to a spot where... oh no, it's becoming super white where we have to fall even longer... and falling... and falling till we see the star that's literally in the center of the heated cave here. How Mario is surviving all of this? Maybe all of the ice creams he gathered has a side effect of never be able to fear the heat at all in this place anymore but overall, this level was simply amazing!
kinggodot - Climbing in the Desert (41/100)
PixelPest (28 | 16 | 5)--45/100: I found this level quite fun after getting past the first initial section with the quicksand which was in some spots pretty slow and unnecessarily so. The latter part of the level had a lot of good ideas in terms of varied platform and enemy set-ups that were executed well with very little delays in the player's movement in terms of waiting for platforms, etc. However, there were some set-ups with bullet bills that were a little unfair and especially difficult to pass without taking a hit (almost impossible to do so when the player was big). Some of these set-ups could have also been improved by using coins to lead the player along the best/safest path in areas that were like this. The level wasn't very aesthetically appealing though and had some areas that looked unfinished and had edges that completely cut off. It looked a little busy in some areas as well and bland in others. In many cases, the mixing of different styles (SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW assets were used) didn't always look great, as well as an over-use of ?-blocks as platforms and walls. I quite enjoyed the latter part of this level though and there were some very good ideas overall.

Spinda (30 | 18 | 1)--49/100: The first section of this level is pretty bad and it'd be better off without it, but what follows is actually pretty decent! The first section feels very much like a romp and while it does introduce some of the elements used later on, none of them really need to have this introduction and it happens far too late. The additional challenge for an Ice Flower is a pretty neat idea, though.
From the second section onwards, this feels like a completely different level. My biggest gripe conceptually is probably the amount of mechanics used - Sparkies, the SMB2 climby guys, Thwomps, Bullet Bills and the SMB3 Moving Platforms all play prominent roles, as well as some Paratroopas used as obstacles. This leads to some of them, especially the Sparkies and Thwomps, feeling underutilized.
The challenges presented in the second and third section are all pretty well-executed, however I feel that some of the SMB2 climby guys challenges are a bit too repetitive without much being done to change them up.
Graphically, this level is a mess. The tileset is used with little care into its boundaries and things like ?-Blocks are used everywhere, which leads to a pretty messy presentation. This also factors in some general issues this level has with telegraphing: There's a door to the second section near the start but it's surrounded by Yellow Switch Blocks but the switch to it is right next to the door and??? There's a similar situation with blue ones and that door doesn't lead anywhere, either. It's pretty confusing. I also feel that at the end of section 1, it should've been made more clear which path is the powerup and which one's the main path - the main path splitting upwards while the path continues going to the right made me initially think that section 2 was a bonus area or something like that. Also, it's often unclear where lineguides end - at a few points they end right next to a ?-Block, which makes it seem like they continue and it's just being masked. Making them stop in a way that makes it clear that they stop there would be a better solution.

bossedit8 (18 | 6 | 5)--29/100: Ugh this level! Let's say, it's enjoyment is just a little bit of an existing point but then it went very quickly. So yeah,as the level title suggests you do climb in a desert quite a bit but the problem with this level is it's kinda all over the place like you have platforms, climbable fences, bullet bills, other couple enemies, switches that are mostly useless anyway and also a lot of the landmasses aren't even completly designed for some reason. Some of the secrets are neat though like some of the tasks you gotta do is to jump on certain enemies to get to harder places so you get to some bonuses like either Power Ups or 1UPs which is neat. Other than that, power ups are nearly nonexistent during the whole level and also some of the enemy placements are just rather cruel like that Thwomp when you try to jump out of the fence, pretty unfair for the first time when you traverse quickly like that. Also, spam full of coin boxes for no apparent reason. I do like how you used a megaman soundtrack here which does fit for not only for the desert but also for the level design there but even so, it could of done a lot better without being so strange as of how some of the ways are set up with and also unnecessarily hard and unfair on some places to go through.
krazykat - Bad Boom's Castle of Death and Other Unpleasant Sensations (37/100)
PixelPest ( 13 | 4 | 8 )--25/100: A pretty classic castle level with some intense moving layer action. It seemed to be a little all over the place and severely needed a checkpoint after the first two sections before the crazy fast airship section to which the player is given absolutely no warning and almost definitely has to start the level again as it's hard to recover from, and some of the jumps performed in that section require quite the precision while travelling very quickly. The sections utilizing appearing and disappearing lava weren't incorporated very well as they weren't at the same level of challenge the rest of the level provided and mostly just made the player wait; the way the marked also wasn't aesthetically pleasing. The roto-disc section was pretty unnecessary and didn't really add much; it was very random and relied on very similar set-ups throughout it, with the coins mostly just cluttering up the narrow space. It also would've been great if the player could have received a power-up before this section. In the boss section with the small room the quickly-moving objects weren't telegraphed really well which would have been really helpful with the speed at which they were moving. Also having the checkpoint right before you speak to the boss requires the player to go back to through the slow scrolling to reveal the boss (about 5 seconds) and the boss's dialogue every single time they die (which for me was quite frequent). Overall this level was pretty basic aesthetically. For the most part the graphics used looked good though it was pretty rudimentary and unexciting. The mechanics explored overall were very shallow and brief with too much variety and a severe lack of properly conveying things to the player which made it not very fun and have many difficulty spikes.

Spinda (23 | 12 | 7)--42/100: Boy, this level is a mix of a lot of things. The first section is pretty competent, actually! I thought the fast moving layers and the appearing lava were both pretty good mechanics to build off, although it's weird how your first encounter with the moving platforms has you dodging 2 at the same time while your second one has only one and is a lot easier due to that. The Propeller Block section fits somewhat well, although I feel the other 2 mechanics could have been given a bit more time to build up before that section. I also don't really like how, when using the block to cross the red block/lava gimmick, you can't actually see what's above you beyond some blocks. This section is also over far too quickly before the Propeller Block can really be used to its fullest.
The next section comes way too sudden and isn't well-explained at all. Their first time there a player is likely to hit the block, then be surprised by the incoming airship and die. Additionally, if one doesn't hit the block at just the right spot, there's a chance the airship might just push the player into a pit. The level of unpredictability this section has makes me wish there was a midpoint right before it, because it is likely for players to die a few times there before understanding what's going on. A midpoint right before the section might improve this situation somewhat.
Then there's the Sans fight, which has some alright setups. Unfortunately, the difficulty curve during those attacks is pretty uneven, with some feeling way too easy and some feeling way too hard. Also, the problem with vanilla SMBX is that retries take quite a while, making this section more frustrating than it should be.
In the end, this level would be better if it was either the first part or the Sans fight on their own. The gimmicks of the first section have potential, which they unfortunately don't use, and the Sans fight would be better if it stood on its own instead of coming after a level. The airship section feels tacked on and the level would be better off without it.

bossedit8 (14 | 18 | 12)--44/100: What a very hard level to go through! Ok so, it's a castle level with some enemies, a couple of layers like the moving ones and then the auto-toggled lava on a weird yet neat warning background to go by. The first moving layer is a rather tight one to pass, most likely to get hit. Crouchjump is needed for better space but still a little too tight to go through. Secrets in the 1st section you start in are those difficult reaching blocks where you get a 1UP or actual 3 1UP mushrooms if you find the 2 hidden blocks aswell which is surely different. Next section you get to a propeller section with moving layers and auto-toggled lava combined which is neat yet after that, be aware to not get hit at the ceiling of spikes once you pass the lava auto-toggle layer thing. Then a single swoop through spikes to the ending of that vertical section. Would be nice if it were a little longer than that since this whole propeller gimmick thing simply appeared and then went afterwards. Then, oh boy, a rather super difficult section. You have a block that activates that super fast moving airship and with that you need to quickly react to dodge some of the spike pillars and such to go through while having such awkward physics on moving layers that it's super easy to fall off the airship platform and die if you are not in front enough of the airship. What a frustrating section to go through even, again, it's not that long but still. Then you have a lot of roto-disks in a singular, nonscrollable section. Not too bad. Then here's our midway point with a 1UP and a forceable thing to be small area! How nice and cruel at the same time. Then we get to the boss of this level which is a surprise... it's Sans Boom! Yes, welcome to Undertale X SMBX shenanigans once again. It's not like we had a couple of those back then, let's get more onto our toes. Speaking of which, you actually are fighting in somewhat of a Undertale style based fight a little like that. Well let's say, it's a little stressful especially since SMBX physics are a thing again and also, for me it would of been better if it wasn't this tight to go through at times since occationally you have to be very perfect in order to manage. At least it isn't super long unlike the real version and you can skip it after such informations were given to skip the dialogue before the fight begins but it's still quite painful as a whole. After all of this you fight Sans Boom straight on that isn't quite like any other Boom Boom you've seen. Then that's it for this level. Overall, it's surely clever, I gotta admit but with SMBX's physics like the whole moving layer shenanigans it's tricky to pass it. Music choices were cool for sure.
MECHDRAGON777 - Toxic Fissure Facility (52.7/100)
PixelPest (28 | 9 | 12)--49/100: This level felt really cluttered and didn't seem to have a very good progression. The challenges felt pretty repetitive and it didn't feel like it explored the simple mechanic it did to much of an extent at all. The NSMB walls didn't add much to the level and seemed somewhat random, plus some of the areas were unnecessarily tight and cluttered. The rainbow pipes didn't really seem to fit the level and neither did the music. It just wasn't very fun and also lacked flow in many areas.

Spinda (20 | 8 | 12)--40/100: This level feels like it was made with an entirely different character in mind. Peach's float has the potential to make the timing on the note blocks a lot harder as well as mess up getting a big jump while spinjumping on the SMW turn blocks. Then there's also a walljump that doesn't seem to work too well with Peach's float and is never necessary to progress and it all just leads to an experience that is pretty unpleasant to play.
The design also feels pretty cluttered and there's little sense of progression. There's Mecha Koopas, poison mushrooms and a Podoboo's shoe section but they all appear precisely once and don't build up to anything, adding to the feeling of clutter. The NSMBW walls are used, but never to actual good effect, mostly being used to skip certain parts of the level.

bossedit8 (26 | 15 | 18)--69/100: Factory of death! So first of all, I don't get music because for whatever reason it errors in front of me. Probably misleaded file directories. Well, what do I say about this level? Basically factory with green toxic that is like lava that goes up and down! Also those red coins, at first I thought those are important collectibles but later then it's supposed to be a indicator that the lava will be reaching to that area which is neat but also a little confusing at first time's play. Oh and apparently those switches that are in a separate sections are just not working as in when I trigger them the switches won't go to actual blocks which... if those switches don't work, why having them in the first place? Peach be able to spinjump and walljump is just so weird to be honest like not only Peach can just float in air for a little bit, she is able spinjump aswell which makes that character literally broken. Also it's misleading how from a fence you don't spinjump but from regular floors she can. It's really weird. The level itself does has it's interesting difficulty involvements and such to manage for sure including the hiding wall mechanics and such but some areas it's a little too tight to go through like venus fire traps in such spots that can be quite tricky to traverse through with other obstacles and such... least it's not all too bad but yeah. Speaking of venus fire traps, there is one that can literally crash the game if you enter the pipe while the venus fire trap spits fire at that time. I do like the secrets this level has but if some of them just simply don't work like what I mentioned with the switches it's a wasted effort for me. Other than that, a nice difficult level!
Pseudo - The Cellar (66.7/100)
PixelPest (36 | 16 | 15)--67/100: A nice solid and fun level. The progression throughout it aesthetically was really quite nice and varied, however there were some awkward difficulty spikes and a lack of communication with the player in some areas where they needed to take a certain route, else backtrack. The story in the level was nice but could be played down a little bit. The level also had pretty good flow which was disturbed however by waiting for a few platforms without anything to keep the player busy while doing so, however for the most part it was okay. Would have been nice to see some more varied platforming and some focus on a gameplay-based mechanic to go along with the level's aesthetics, instead of just the tileset and enemies changing. Was quite enjoyable to play overall.

Spinda (30 | 15 | 15)--60/100: This level was pretty good! I personally feel the first two sections weren't quite necessary, though, because their mechanics didn't really build up to anything. The underground section had you hitting a shell at a ?-Block but then that was just never brought up again, unfortunately. It would've been neat to see that in combination with the moving platforms or the spiders.
I also wish the return pipe for the key route wasn't before the key - I initially went into it and had to replay a section of the level.
In the future, try thinking of more ways of all the level's mechanics to interact, there were some neat parts, but they were unfortunately rather limited.

bossedit8 (37 | 22 | 14)--73/100: This house in front of us can't be opened unless you find a key for it and once you found the key for it which can be thrown out of the screen and then there's no way to retain the key back what so ever unless you restart the level freshly. Keys spawning from blocks is not always a good idea when it's necessary to get further on. A good way to make the key not die off in any sense is to hide the key in a layer over the block where you want to spawn the key in. That way the key will always be there even if you throw it out of the window or being offscreen for over 3 seconds. Anyway, moving on into the house and then to the pipelines, pretty neat and then to the basement where we can hear The Binding of Isaac's Cellar Theme in a cellar area! this brings up good and bad memories at the same time! And would you look at that, missing death effects on certain NPCs such as the Ninjis and Dry Bones. How unfortunate! However, the design as of how you traverse in a cellar including slight secret involvements and obstacles are pretty cool and it's quite well done. Even the plot as of how this whole level goes is also well done here! Some secrets do take some time to figure it out though like at the section where you have to hit a invisible block to pass over the area where it's normally unreachable, I mean least the coins were a slight indication there but still quite difficult to manage... at least your reward has it's benefits so it's not all too bad for that matter. Other than that, overall a very well thought out level and I definitely like it a lot for sure. Those beakers though... they don't look all too right in the end of the level apparently. NPC text files seems to be missing on that particular NPC to make them look properly. I mean during the editor they look alright but during the game they don't. Oh well, still a good level overall!
Sanct - HD Prismal Towers (70/100)
PixelPest (34 | 16 | 12)--62/100: This was quite an enjoyable level. It experimented with a significant number of effective and progressive enemy set-ups that provided a lot of variation and unique and intense platforming. I found that the vertically-moving flashing enemies were used quite well as they moved quickly as to, in most cases, not disrupt flow, while also providing an interesting challenge. However, I felt that the roto-disc section was a little excessive in that the set-ups felt a little less interesting and more just exccessively precision-oriented due to the large number of enemies and the cramped nature of some of the sections. The following section also seemed to be a significant step down in terms of difficulty. I also felt like the transition section, which just involved the player running forward for a bit, was unnecessary and would have been much better implemented as a subtle change in the background during a section that actually had some obstacles to keep the player interested. Aesthetically this level seemed a little cluttered at times and little too visually intense due to the highly saturated colours. This was a fun level for the most part though.

Spinda (31 | 17 | 15)--63/100: Ok so let me get this straight: Before you play the level you have to go through what is basically a cutscene and then the midpoint is placed right before an empty corridor??? Come on.
I like the Bullies that spit fireballs, but I'm not a fan of placing them right at the ceiling because it makes it pretty hard to remember where the orbs will land, especially when the level gets super busy later on. I'm not as big on the fidget spinners, they're not as invovled, and combined with Roto-Discs it makes for some pretty long wait times. Additionally, since enemy movement periods start once they come onscreen, the actual correlation of most of those interceptors can vary quite a bit, leading to some of the challenges getting harder than they were probably intended to.
The level also gets too busy later on, with there not being enough spaces to actually rest safely due to most of the level being taken up by the enemies. More room to breathe and more deliberate enemy placement would've really helped this level later on.

bossedit8 (45 | 25 | 15)--85/100: Welcome to SMW where everything is empty looking until you see a switch that... oh no... it grew up a tower where everything is purple and pink! Entering that tower leads to the main level itself, walking right with obstacles and enemies you've never seen before. You have a chasing zero gravity dispenser that shoots out yellow projectiles that acts like a podoboo, as in it shoots out upwards and then it falls down afterwards. This projectile can't be spinjumped on so be careful. After one new enemy we get to another new enemy which basically bounces up and down. Once that circle rainbow of death touches the wall from the top or bottom it moves to the opposite direction. Same deal with the dispenser's projectiles you can't spinjump on it so avoit it at all cost. At least once you get damaged by them you get hurt rather than being an instant kill... well except if you fall off the level, then it's an instant death but least the sections aren't that long to traverse through. What I do like however is that you utulise those enemies and several other NPCs and obstacles in such a way where it gets more challenging later on. It's a way to build up the difficulty higher once you reach to later areas and I do like it a lot. At the halfway point you get to a long hallway where the tower gets even further up into space. Speaking of that however, every time you die after obtaining the halfway point you have to do this every, single, time... walking right till you reach the door. After that it's more happy platforming, dodging, moving right and timing... oh and there are some secrets to go by like there are some areas where you can skip these obstacle parts of the level close to the end and also on that one area where it looks like you can't get over that giant pit... however if you look closely you are able to get on top of the black blocks that are barely visible with that kind of background where it's also pretty dark. If you manage that you get to see a lot of NPCs that are dancing. Then... that's it... no real other purpose are available for you. Just a room with a lot of dancing NPCs and a different music for you to listen to. No power ups, nothing to even talk to. Just... there. Also you didn't even get to skip at least 1 of the sections in this level after discovering it. Oh and Speaking of the music, the music itself does fit into the level... I really love it, although it's quite loud as in it overshallows the ingame's sound effects. Overall, a very nice challenging level.
Yoshi021 - U-turn (51.3/100)
PixelPest (12 | 9 | 13)--34/100: When a level starts and tells you to open a menu which lists all of the different mechanics and enemies in the level, as well as what they do, I immediately just sigh. This level could have had a lot going for it but it was just downright painful to play. The terrain gets repetitive after you go back and forth 15 times, even if some minor elements are added and with the "island extension[s]" it makes just gets so boring. Most of the time the player can also just run along the bottom and not even encounter any enemies. Furthermore all of the random mechanics could have at least been taught to the player in so many different ways that doesn't involve the player memorizing the whole menu or ruining flow every time something new pops up and they have no idea what it is. A lot of the mechanics as well didn't really add much as the level didn't cater to any specific set-ups with them and some of the items were really over-powered (like the bomb jump). It just wasn't fun and the visuals were also a little eyesore, as well as some which just didn't look very good like the potatoes.

Spinda (18 | 15 | 12)--45/100: In concept, this level is pretty interesting: You basically walk back and forth, and more gets added to the level every time. However, I think that the randomness has too big of an impact: If you get powerups like the Bomb Jump or the Shield early on, your chances of success are way higher and getting Island Expansions later means the level becomes way shorter. I appreciate the idea, but it needs a lot more balancing in order to work properly.
I also don't like how everything gets explained. It makes some sense for the powerups, but almost all of the enemies are self-explanatory. I feel this kind of spoils the level to an extent as well because the player knows what's gonna happen.
The design of the stage itself isn't that great either: Even though new elements do get added, you end up finding one path that's the easiest to traverse and then stick to it.

bossedit8 (40 | 20 | 15)--75/100: This little level right here turns into an actual game where everything is unlike Mario but in a very neat way! Your goal is to capture the flags and once you capture each of them the section, abilities and such change like island extensions (oftenly), power ups for your character and enemy appearances and everything while you also have a timer available that, once you get hit, fall down or if the timer is up you lose the game and you restart the level over but here it comes, it's never, ever the same. It's always different in terms of what you get after capturing the flags which this kind of concept is pretty neat and such as of how it goes. The guide though, at least it's pretty descriptive but most of the time I just play without having to deal with the guide and see it for my own as of what happens. 15 flags to capture isn't bad but depending of what to come it can be easy or really hard for the player to navigate.
Zipper - Fairy Ravine (61/100)
PixelPest (22 | 16 | 11)--49/100: I could really see the amount of effort put into this level, however the design of it just couldn't catch up. The gimmick of smashing vines with rocks to make them grow was interesting, but it wasn't introduced very well and in some sections the player would be smashed into a dangerous obstacle if they rode up the vine, with very little control, and often due to the way they had to hit the vine were frequently put into that situation. The enemy set-ups seemed very random and not very intuitive or challenging in many cases, and the gimmick seemed to evolve a little superficially. The obstacle involving the rapid bullet spawning generators in which the player is required to hit the vine to block them caused serious lag personally which was a little frustrating. Communication, like with the gimmick, was seriously lacking in other sections as well, such as the player being able to spinjump on the large rocks, which ended up being essential to complete the level and was extremely difficult to figure out with no guidance whatsoever. There appeared to be a bunch of little mistakes of cut-off blocks and slopes, as well as some elements such as the SMB3 pipes that didn't fit into the unique graphical style. Some of the enemies also didn't seem to be functioning correctly such as the bullet-shooting fairies whose smoke puff effects sometimes spawned on the wrong side. Issues like these built up and slowly began to take away from the level. Overall it seemed to drag out quite a bit and had some serious issues with communication with the player that really took away from enjoyment of the level.

Spinda (26 | 17 | 8)--51/100: The initial sections felt pretty weak - the character's movement isn't as varied as the one from your SCC level and there aren't any fun maneuvers like dashing into a slope to go flying. The water balls are an interesting concept but they aren't really used all that interestingly early on.
The water hurting blocks make the next area actually pretty interesting and this section is probably one of my favorites from the level.
I honestly feel like the walljump should've been part of the movement from the start - it gives the level some better movement that it was previously lacking. Using your walljump in the next section is executed pretty well, but the final challenge seems pretty badly-balanced - the first part where you have to keep your water while descending feels too tight for me and I only ever got it by dropping the orb in midair and feels super unintentional.
The boss is pretty nice, but part of me wishes that the vines would have 2 upper leaves because it feels like the boss is always positioned right on top of the topmost leaf.
The graphics are kind of a mess and the background looks like it was badly resized in MS Paint.

bossedit8 (44 | 25 | 14)--83/100: For this level you don't play like any other characters in the Mario era, nooo. You play as someone entirely different, including the whole stage's enemies, currency, items and more! It pretty much summarises as being it's own game which is pretty neat! Anyway, let's get into the mix of things as I encounter a slope tile that is missing, for some reason... did the fairies took that piece of the grass away from that spot? Oh well. What I do love is that the character isn't the same as when you play as any characters you usually have in SMBX (Toad being the closest) like you run faster by default and also that later on during the level you get a power up that makes you wall jump which is used pretty well like you learn the power up at the beginning once you obtain it and then it's been used quite a lot later on in the level. I like how there are multiple checkpoints and also several pathways for secrets such as the dragon coins that apparently have something to say but you can't get them to read... oh well, not that it matters anyway, just a notice. There is this one bug though that apparently when I try to land on a Fairy, sometimes it doesn't register as a hit for some reason... same as the boss actually. Not too sure what even causes that issue to be honest. Also there are rocks on the ground that you can destroy with your spinjump which at first I didn't really know that until I reach to a spot that is not possible to go further so I figured it basically later than intended. I love the mechanics in this level has like throwing bubbles against the vine to grow and enemies having effects before shooting including the boss aswell which is really neat and it's a very nice indicator. Glad you made it this way. Further on you have those red blocks that make the bubble destroy immediadly once it passes inside it which is used in a neat way where you have to avoid it in order to progress further on. Boss is also very well designed for sure and overall, this level is just wonderful! Awesome challenges, cute sound effects, voices and overall design! Background is kinda weird though.

Take a look at our current standings! Despite some really cool, creative levels, none of them managed to squeeze themselves into the top 3, however a bunch did grab themselves a solid spot in Tier 4. Are the best still to come?

Image Top 3 (Tier 5)
  • Quantumenace - Zenith Weapon Works (84.7/100)
  • Darkonious Mavakar - Granite Mountains (83/100)
  • ShadowStarX - Cyberfrost Facility (79/100)
Image Tier 4
Rankings: show
4. 7NameSam - HEAT (76/100)
5. The0x539 - Explosion Island Excavation Act III: Tragedy on the Solar Express (72.7/100)
6. Electriking - Switch-it Up Desert (70.3/100)
7. Sanct - HD Prismal Towers (70/100)
8. Quantix - Dungeon of Firebar Spam (67.7/100)
9. Pseudo - The Cellar (66.7/100)
10. Zipper - Fairy Ravine (61/100)
11. AndrewPixel - Line Detonation (57.7/100)
12. Smesblem - Infernal Ruins (52.7/100)
Image Tier 3
13. MECHDRAGON777 - Toxic Fissure Facility (52.7/100)
14. Yoshi021 - U-turn (51.3/100)
15. litchh - Fusion;Crossroads (50/100)
16. Artemis008 - City in Turmoil (48.3/100)
17. FrozenHeatDesert - Yellow Switch Palace (45/100)
18. kinggodot - Climbing in the Desert (41/100)
19. krazykat - Bad Boom's Castle of Death and Other Unpleasant Sensations (37/100)
20. thehelmetguy1 - Into the Desert Temple (29.7/100)
21. Musicality_Minister45 - #Idonthavethetimeorpatienceforacontestlevel (28.7/100)
Image Tier 2
Empty
Image Tier 1
Empty

More results will be released tomorrow, although probably earlier!

7NameSam
Spiny
Spiny

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 3!)

Postby 7NameSam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Well,
I don't know what I expected.
yoshis at the crag girl

Return to “Level Contests”