Level Contest 9: First Place

Official community level contests.
zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: Level Contest 9: Tier IV

Postby zlaker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 pm

DarkMatt wrote:
TNTimelord wrote:It wasn't atmospherically pretty in any way at all as there was game mixing up the ass
zlakerboy wrote:This level doens't look very pleasant since most of the graphical stuff you added here doesn't fit very well. There are SMB2 Shy Guys, SMW Propeller Plants, SMB3 Goombas, SMB1 Question Mark Blocks and even more.
Nice try sidestepping the word "clash", but I can read worth half a damn. I highly doubt you actually looked at how the graphics fit and just went, "NOPE. CLASH." Disgusting.
Most of the graphical stuff you used here was SMB2 styled (the background and the tileset) so I would go with enemies that had the same style as the tileset and the background as I really feel spotting SMB3 and SMW enemies in the level very distrubing as they have different type of shading compared to the SMB2 background and the tileset.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:35 pm

There is more to a working theme than just shading, zlakerboy.

Do you actually think that or is that something you read in a clash pamphlet? I mean, I could give you that, getting enemies to share the same art style would help improve a theme, but does it really subtract that much from it? And another thing, shading? THAT'S the best rationale you can come up with? That is such a minor detail that most people will not notice nor care about it. You're sperging over colors used for no reason other than, I decree, that is what you think is a good level: not mixing graphics to create a consistent theme, even though people do this all the time and get higher scores than me.

You're biased, is what I'm saying. What else is new, but if your opinion is this subjective, I'm going to call it a shit opinion, and logically explain why it's shit.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Kyogre
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Life
Chat Username: Silberstein

Postby Kyogre » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes!
I am on a better place than 50! :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEcasX ... BlHGnj-ttw

Discord: Silberstein (#2409)

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Germany.

Ich habe gelernt der größte Schmerz geht auch vorüber, komm reiß mir ein Bein aus, doch ich laufe weiter Tausendfüßler

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Re: Level Contest 9: The Winner

Postby Mable » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Blck_Guy wrote:
CaptainSyrup wrote: Why do they do that for?!

Easy.. they don't had the time for it anymore. Like bc of School or real life stuff.

Are you saying I don't have a life?! Bitch
I never said that lol also nice insulting shows how mature you are :D i mean I DIDN'T insult you and you go ahead and insult me so lol sry but thats pretty funny gonna make sure you get paid
Also to make sure you might edited it out i got screens:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
It's also good to see that the talkhaus people are pretty immature tbh and sended in joke levels lol.
Last edited by Mable on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm

DarkMatt wrote:There is more to a working theme than just shading, zlakerboy.

Do you actually think that or is that something you read in a clash pamphlet? I mean, I could give you that, getting enemies to share the same art style would help improve a theme, but does it really subtract that much from it? And another thing, shading? THAT'S the best rationale you can come up with? That is such a minor detail that most people will not notice nor care about it. You're sperging over colors used for no reason other than, I decree, that is what you think is a good level: not mixing graphics to create a consistent theme, even though people do this all the time and get higher scores than me.

You're biased, is what I'm saying. What else is new, but if your opinion is this subjective, I'm going to call it a shit opinion, and logically explain why it's shit.
Alrighty lemme say it in another way then if ya think my opinion is subjective.

The level didn't look very pleasant since none of the enemies in my honest opinion blend very well. The color of the enemies doesn't really matter, but in my opinion mixing styles together doesn't really look good. I personally would wanna go with one style rather than with a million styles.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm

So, we cross 4 tiers and other 4 tiers are left. Who's still left in this contest?

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Me, suprisingly enough.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: Level Contest 9: The Winner

Postby Danny » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 pm

CaptainSyrup wrote:It's also good to see that the talkhaus people are pretty immature tbh and sended in joke levels lol.
Isn't that a majority of the levels/episodes over there are anyway?
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Hmm... so I made it past tier 1, 2, 3, and 4... wow, I think I've really out done myself this time.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Waddle Derp wrote:Me, suprisingly enough.
Actually, your levels are really amazing in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm now expecting Tier 6+ based off of the current scores.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:09 pm

krazykat wrote:
Waddle Derp wrote:Me, suprisingly enough.
Actually, your levels are really amazing in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm now expecting Tier 6+ based off of the current scores.

CreatorForce
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby CreatorForce » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:33 pm

I past Tier 4. Good Luck On Tier 5 Guys =D.

GameClip477
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby GameClip477 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Wow, I past 4 tiers. My guess is I'm either going to be in tier 7 or 6. I'm a bit scared that I'm going to in the next tier. Will my level I submitted be an improvement or not? Anyways, good luck to all the rest of remainders!! :D

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:The level didn't look very pleasant since none of the enemies in my honest opinion blend very well. The color of the enemies doesn't really matter, but in my opinion mixing styles together doesn't really look good. I personally would wanna go with one style rather than with a million styles.
Exactly. You're taking points off for subjective things, and this is bad judging abilities. Believe me, I know, because I have more judging experience than you.

And don't tell me you're not taking points off for subjective things. You're using words in your posts like "in my opinion" and "personally", and these are things you should avoid when reviewing levels, because it's biased, and that's all.
previously known as Kep

Radishl
Banned
Current Project: Super Mario Hero

Postby Radishl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Kep wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:The level didn't look very pleasant since none of the enemies in my honest opinion blend very well. The color of the enemies doesn't really matter, but in my opinion mixing styles together doesn't really look good. I personally would wanna go with one style rather than with a million styles.
Exactly. You're taking points off for subjective things, and this is bad judging abilities. Believe me, I know, because I have more judging experience than you.

And don't tell me you're not taking points off for subjective things. You're using words in your posts like "in my opinion" and "personally", and these are things you should avoid when reviewing levels, because it's biased, and that's all.
Well.... it is called the Tower of Biased.

Im so hyped! I can't wait for tier 5!

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Kep wrote:

Almost everything in level judging is subjective. A level could be all but impossible to one person and easy as pie to another. It could look awesome to one person and ugly to another. Almost every aspect of a level is subjective, so taking off points for something that's an opinion is exactly what every level judge does, when it comes down to it.

jetace98
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby jetace98 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:54 pm

krazykat wrote:
Kep wrote:

Almost everything in level judging is subjective. A level could be all but impossible to one person and easy as pie to another. It could look awesome to one person and ugly to another. Almost every aspect of a level is subjective, so taking off points for something that's an opinion is exactly what every level judge does, when it comes down to it.
Quite correct that is why there are multiple judges for various events...

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Radishl wrote:
Kep wrote:

Well.... it is called the Tower of Biased.
That's the name of the game. It really doesn't mean anything.
krazykat wrote:
Kep wrote:

Fine, you win. Have a cookie.
previously known as Kep

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 pm

What krazykat said, basically. Reviews are composed of subjective opinions by definition. I suggest you revise your judging methods.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 pm

A lot of judges said he second moon coin is impossible! Just run from the far right platform and fly to get it!

Unless I submitted the wrong level, the star at ye end unliks the path to the first moon coin
All tree moon coins give a star! The star in the second section of the mane path is gotten from all three moo coins, an I remember uncheeking it. Valtteri could of made it vissible, but I remember hiding it!

I will post my video of it!

ImageImageImage

Return to “Level Contests”