Level Contest 9: First Place

Official community level contests.
Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Re: Level Contest 9: Tier IV

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:03 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:The boss was badly made as well. It was extremely boring and pretty boring.
Wait, you're saying that the boss was boring and boring?? My gosh, how is that even possible?
Chad wrote:The boss is somewhat interesting though, especially the health bar at the top. It introduces the new idea in a fair way that the player can reasonably grasp.
But...but I also made a level with a boss and health bar, and that was over a year ago...
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
Spoiler: show
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 am

Magna wrote:Overall normal reviews for my level except zlakerboy357's. Do slight lack of bgos really make my level lose a few points? Thats a bit biased and I thought my bgos amount was good. And do SMB3 caves really need bgos? Since when did SMB3 ever have cave bgos.
Yes. Yes, you do need BGOs. Taking SMB3 as an argument is pretty poor. You are supposed to surpass Nintendo, not doing it like them so you can respond to someone who disliked it "oh, but Nintendo is doing it too". This is a contest, obviously you won't get far without decoration. Your levels have to look good.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 am

So we can expect to see tier V today?
By the way, why doesnt valterri just release all the tiers at once?

Trace
Lakitu
Lakitu
Chat Username: figure it out

Postby Trace » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:12 am

Waddle Derp wrote:So we can expect to see tier V today?
1. Valtteri
2. maybe that its more exciting, i dunno.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:25 am

Trace42 wrote:
Waddle Derp wrote:So we can expect to see tier V today?
1. Valtteri
2. maybe that its more exciting, i dunno.
If we saw all the tiers at once, we wouldnt have all this drama to read
The SMBX Let's Player, as303298 / Wraith Admanknight
Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/as303298?feature=mhee

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am

Because if all the tiers were released at once, that would just be the end of it, no more results left to look forward to. The anticipation's part of the fun.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:But...but I also made a level with a boss and health bar, and that was over a year ago...
An idea can still be cool even if it was done a limited number of times before.
I'm not active too much on the forums anymore, but my PM inbox is available if you need anything.

Also, I make Super Mario Maker levels sometimes! (Don't mind the awful NNID.)

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 am

Kep wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:The level didn't look very pleasant since none of the enemies in my honest opinion blend very well. The color of the enemies doesn't really matter, but in my opinion mixing styles together doesn't really look good. I personally would wanna go with one style rather than with a million styles.
Exactly. You're taking points off for subjective things, and this is bad judging abilities. Believe me, I know, because I have more judging experience than you.

And don't tell me you're not taking points off for subjective things. You're using words in your posts like "in my opinion" and "personally", and these are things you should avoid when reviewing levels, because it's biased, and that's all.
Taking the point out of krazykat's post; everything you see or read in a review is subjective as the reviewer has to point out what he/she likes or didn't like. So taking away points is what a judge should do and shouldn't be counted as biased.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:The boss was badly made as well. It was extremely boring and pretty boring.
Wait, you're saying that the boss was boring and boring?? My gosh, how is that even possible?
lol I meant boring and bland. My mistake :P
Magna wrote:Overall normal reviews for my level except zlakerboy357's. Do slight lack of bgos really make my level lose a few points? Thats a bit biased and I thought my bgos amount was good. And do SMB3 caves really need bgos? Since when did SMB3 ever have cave bgos.
The level looked bland to me as it had a lack of BGOs. As Kyo said, using SMB3 as an arugement is pretty poor. If ya want your levels to get high in a contest you need good aesthetics in a level (good gameplay and good design as well).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Level Contest 9: Tiers 5 and 6!!!

Postby Valtteri » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 am

Happy Halloween guys! :)

Tier 5 Places 31-40
40. Thetoxicminecrafter1 - Cold Autumn's Night - 5.69/10
  • Bomber57 (5.25/10)
    • A basic forest level. Some parts felt a little barren in terms of scenery. I dunno if this was the intended effect or not, though. Enemies such as the Wiggler and the running Axe Bro weren't unfair. The player doesn't realize the Wiggler will kill them if they jump normally when they turn into their angry form and can only be dispatched with a spin jump. The same goes for the Axe Bro. A few of the throwing Axe Bros. were put in spots that weren't as fair, such as the one in the switch section that the player was forced to tackle from above in tight quarters. Otherwise, the level was average.
    Chad (6.8/10)
    • Good forest level. The atmosphere's great for a night level, and the general gameplay is simple and pleasant. The enemy placement is nice and easy and the platforming is calm and enjoyable. Nice job transitioning from simple linear run to a downward climb for a switch, too. However, the Axe Bro preceding the switch is cruelly placed, and the Wigglers are broken. Jumping on one normally will force you to take damage, while spin-jumping kills it instantly. Other than that, a fun standard run with not a lot to complain about.
    Quill (6.5/10)
    • This was actually a fun level. There's nothing too special that blew me away, but I did like how open the level was. It really helped the atmosphere and gave that cold night feel, which just so happens to be in the name of the level. You made a good attempt to add in some nice variety in terrain and enemies too. There's really nothing bad about this level, it's just fairly basic and plays it safe, which is fine, but I would have liked to see some more special things that would make this level more memorable.
    TNTtimelord (6.8/10)
    • What a nice and tranquil autumn styled level. The music reminds me of some Donkey Kong Country game. The design is really spread out and it also has a plentiful of coins. Everything graphically fits, except for the wiggler, who still has a Rex's death effect. Enemy placement is great, as it's simple, but equally spread out so the player doesn't end up walking in a barren area. There isn't much for scenery but the atmosphere doesn't seem to require a lot of scenery to make it work. Although, I don't personally think the mushrooms fit all that well.
    zlakerboy357 (3.1/10)
    • A basic forest level. The level was went basically staright forward and I couldn't really see any gameplay elements here aside the switch block. I really didn't like aesthetic's eithe due of the lack of BGOs this level had. I can't say much about this level rather than it was linear and extremely boring.
39. Vanishing Bilborb - Time to Visit Grassland Village - 5.74/10
  • Bomber57 (7/10)
    • Hey, Animal Crossing graphics! OH GOD THE NPCS ARE HORRIFYING ABOMINATIONS AAAAAH. This level was pretty nice, and the music fit a calm and relaxing midsummer day. Well, parts of the level have a sinister undertone, like how there are BONES at the bottom of their pond!?!? I also thought collecting all the apples was the secret/sidequest star, but it was actually the main star! The level was a little plain at points, but I really liked how the Megaman style appearing and disappearing blocks worked. Not much else to say, but the sudden difficulty increase at the end in that strange area wasn't really needed.
    Chad (7.7/10)
    • This is an enjoyable village level! I like how it manages to be a town with residents while also involving an explorative scavenger hunt, a variety of settings, and some elaborate design and gameplay. Every section has something different, which keeps the level feeling fresh. I particularly like the disappearing blocks, and how some houses have some interesting things to give you if you can complete their individual challenges. Providing a shortcut back to the person offering you a star is also quite thoughtful. The second star's a bit of a difficulty spike and I don't care for the Cheep Cheeps swimming directly where some of the apples are, but other than that the level's pretty good!
    Quill (7/10)
    • Cute little level. Basing a Mario level on Animal Crossing is pretty unique. Collecting the apples was fun, but there could have been more to do in each section. The disappearing and reappearing blocks were a neat idea; some more gimmicks like that would have been awesome. More secrets could have easily been hidden overall too. It was too easy to finish up everything. Add some exploration! I loved what all the villagers had to say, though. Captured the Animal Crossing feel well.
    TNTtimelord (4/10)
    • I can't tell if this was supposed to be an Animal Crossing styled level. It really shifts from a lot of different themes but it still seems to stick to the same old theme. I really didn't like the tileset or many of the graphics you used, so I didn't really feel much of a strong atmosphere. I thought it was a pretty interesting little gimmick with the platforms that would appear and disappear, though.
    zlakerboy357 (3/10)
    • Boring and clashy level. I found the design extremely boring and pretty weird. I coudn't really see any cool gameplay stuff and I think you should reduce the amount of enemies.
38. Valtries the Fox - Munchers Galore!!! - 5.81/10
  • Bomber57 (5.25/10)
    • Munchers!!! A pretty average level where the theme is, well, lots of munchers. The level felt short and a little plain, but it wasn't too bad. I think the location of the secret star was hidden too well and I never would have guessed where it was if I didn't look in the editor.
    Chad (6.3/10)
    • This was rather fun. It's a fairly standard run, but it looks nice while doing so and makes creative use of Munchers and involves the Kuribo's Shoe. I like the layout of the level, and the difficulty's pretty tame. The secret star has a clever location, although a slight indicator would be nice as you basically find it by falling to your death but getting lucky. Also, if you only give the player one shoe, that might be a good place for a checkpoint. Otherwise, this is fairly good.
    Quill (5.5/10)
    • Fairly fun level. It's fairly basic, yet kept me interested enough to continue. Could do with a little more variety. Talk about anticlimatic with that end though. As soon as you get to the whole 'munchers galore' part, the level just ends. Extend that, dude!
    TNTtimelord (7/10)
    • Nice and easy short level! It uses the pleasant little flower tileset with the flower BGOs and, as the name suggests, munchers galore. Coins and NPCs were placed around in well done fashions. Even though it was an incredibly short level, I got a chance to feel the nice and easygoing atmosphere and the music is also pretty nice. I'm still trying to understand why people are putting munchers on the giant stalks like that, but I thought that was a nice touch, so there's nothing wrong with that.
    zlakerboy357 (5/10)
    • I really feel using Shikaternia's Flower Grassland in a beach level is pretty disturbing. The level had a good amount of BGOs which was cool, though it unfitting since the level is a beach level. The design was pretty broing as I couldn't see any cool gimmicks or gameplay elements. The level was short and it could've been lengthed.
37. SuperWingedYoshi - Oldschool Metal - 5.89/10
  • Bomber57 (5.25/10)
    • This level was a nice little SMB1 Castle. Unfortunately, it had a few points that brought it down. The first is the placement of firebars. A good amount of the firebars placed are in unfair positions where it is really tough to avoid them. Another issue is the switch block puzzle room. If you fail the puzzle, there is no way of resetting it, forcing the player to suicide. And conisdering it is, well, a puzzle, you likely won't get it on your first try or within the 10 seconds the game gives you the solve it. The boss was alright.
    Chad (4.6/10)
    • I didn't find myself enjoying this one very much. There are a few cheap shots, like being forced to figure out a complicated switch puzzle in 10 seconds. This is one of those things that the designer (who made the level and knows how it works) can figure out pretty easily, but other players don't have that luxury. Fail that one chance test, and that's it, you have to intentionally die. Even once you get it right, it's hard to tell if the shell's going to fall into the pit or not. Also, the enemies in the first key room aren't placed well, with Koopas bouncing around unpredictably in a narrow space and being on top of you within seconds with Hammer Bros close by. The shell generator in the second half is cruelly placed, and the vines felt weirdly restrictive since they're confined to the upper boundary. The upper platforming of the second half is actually fairly decent though, and a reasonable challenge (other than the aforementioned shells). The boss is actually pretty good too, having a lot of projectiles while still being manageable. However, those are about the only things I enjoyed. Everything I mentioned is pretty much the level in a nutshell, and considering all of the above, the level overall felt sort of messy and strangely difficult, like it wasn't consistent or made with other players in mind. I'm sorry you didn't have a whole lot of time to test, but if you're going to undergo the creation of a level, you've got to be prepared to give it the attention it deserves.
    Quill (6.5/10)
    • Hey, jackass. Metal music is the shit. Anyway, calm the fuck down with those firebars. They're as big as Ridley. Nice level overall though, has some nice creativity in there. The switch puzzle is pretty unforgiving as one mistake causes you to remain stuck, right before the checkpoint too. If it was after the checkpoint, it wouldn't be as bad. The boss was a little annoying as there was far too much going on at once and it was easy to pick up vegetables instead of bombs.
    TNTtimelord (5.9/10)
    • First off, freaking props to you for finding and using an 8-bit cover of a METALLICA song!
      Although the music was great, the design was just okay. It didn't really feel at all special when it came to anything innovative, other than the beatboxes. Coin and items were generous though, and that's usually a good thing. The boss was also clever. The player has to destroy the leader beatbox. even if "Pauline is dead anyways."
    zlakerboy357 (7.2/10)
    • Cool level. I liked the NES atmosphere here and the level is desinged differently than most NES levels. The NPC placement was pretty good, and the level's start was pretty silly. Section 4 was pretty cool, however I disliked the idea that you had to restart the WHOLE level to progress through that section if you failed. The boss was a bit hard and I recommend reducing the enemy number.
36. litchh - All Night Biased Hills - 5.92/10
  • Bomber57 (6/10)
    • This seemed like a pretty basic SMB1 level until the last section. I guess the random Redigit NPC should have been a hint. I think my favorite part was probably the SMB1 Castle section. It was very reminiscent of the original castles, right down to the invisible block bridge puzzle! The final section really did come out of left field, but I suppose it was good enough.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • Good usage of SMB1 design conventions in this one, and it's pretty atmospheric on top of that. The level provides a good challenge and really makes you think before you act. Not sure what the deal is with the enemies though, or why it suddenly became Terrarialand out of nowhere. Those don't really hurt the score too much, but it's better to stick with a consistent theme. Otherwise, the level's layout is pretty much standard-fare for something SMB1-themed.
    Quill (5/10)
    • This level seemed to have little purpose in everything. It made no sense. Only redeeming thing was a Terraria-Gandalf fight at the end. Actually wasn't that redeeming. This level is too generic and plain. Add in a lot of variety please.
    TNTtimelord (6.5/10)
    • I love the first section's music. Just thought I'd throw that out first.
      The design throughout the entire level (Even the Terraria crossover part, actually, ESPECIALLY the Terraria crossover part) stayed really solid. Graphically, everything held together really well. The NPCs were highly amusing, and were all even placed rather well. I was hoping there'd be a few more coins and a few less poison mushrooms in the first half, but that's mostly my opinion. I also love the boss of the level.
    zlakerboy357 (5.6/10)
    • A simple SMB1 based level. The NPC placement is pretty good and I didn't really spot any bad placed items or enemies in the levee, however I felt the level has a lack of enemy variation. Moving on the level is pretty basic as it gets due of the lack of gameplay-wise stuff I didn't see here, although the idea of making a path to one of the two doors you were suppose to pick was the only cool thing I liked. The boss was pretty easy though and I don't nothing else to comment.
35. Dragonmaster146 - Waltz in the Autumn Woods - 6.08/10
  • Bomber57 (5.5/10)
    • The level had some nice graphics and nice design. A few parts were unfair, mostly the venus fire traps on the SMW line platforms. It's pretty basic otherwise.
    Chad (6.2/10)
    • This is a pretty little forest level. The layout's simple and short, but the land has a nice shape to it, making the enemy placements nice as well. There's some good alternation between platforming and swimming, and I like that the second half gradually introduces some slightly harder difficulty with the higher number of enemies and pipes. It was short, but fun. However, putting a warp below the section boundary is a little cheap. The coins don't indicate it as much as they just look like things to collect while riding on the platform.
    Quill (7/10)
    • Talk about short and sweet. Good job with the atmosphere here, it felt really calm and relaxed as it should. There's some nice variety in this level too, though some terrain was oddly shaped and at points there was an overload of enemies. Good job, though! It kept me fairly entertained.
    TNTtimelord (6.1/10)
    • This was a nice and actually kind of challenging autumn styled level. The music and color palette gives off a real tranquil and lush autumn forest and all the SMW enemies go very well together with the tileset, that actualy isn't even SMW styled or colored (this comes to trump some clash theories). For the most part, the NPC placement is great, but there were a few points where it felt like there were sudden waves of them, making unfair difficulty spikes. The bonus section is also in a very dumb spot where no one would have seen it. Move it to a less completely veiled, under the map, pipe to go to.
    zlakerboy357 (5.6/10)
    • Nice little autumm level. I liked the scenery you used in this level and I really find the tileset great-looking. The design was pretty boring and not really unique since some parts required to kill certain enemies to progress through. Didn't really see any cool gamplay elements either.
34. Pivot40Channel - Bowser's Sky Tower - 6.11/10
  • Bomber57 (6.75/10)
    • This level was pretty neat. I especially liked how at some points tilesets mixed together, especially for the indoor sections. The level had a few issues, such as the first Banzai Bill launcher being in an unfair location as the player would easily be hit by it as the moving platform rises upward. Another issue is how it is mandatory to climb up an annoying "block tower" where you have to inch around the edge. The two bowser fights were neat, the first a little more original than the second. I also think that giving the player an ice yoshi along with the star and 1-up at the end is a little much, but that's just me.
    Chad (8/10)
    • This was a fun one. The atmosphere is intended to build up to a final showdown with Bowser, but the difficulty remains moderate. It's a good balance, as it lets you enjoy the scenario without it being ruined by stressful difficulty, but there's still some slightly challenging obstacles and jumps everywhere. There's a good mix of arsenal enemies at strategic positions that make you plan out your moves without it ever being overkill. The SMB3 Bowser fights are interesting as well, because it takes the default AI and formula and puts a slight variation on it, twice. Buried bullet generators are a very efficient way of fighting him, and putting some breaks between the destructable blocks did a good job of making it feel different. The only things that bothered me are that the indoor sections don't fit graphically with the outdoor ones, and the door effect. The design, however, is nothing for me to complain about.
    Quill (5/10)
    • This was an alright level. There's nothing too special about it to be honest. It doesn't do much bad, but there's very little that wows me. A lot of the sections seem to be very similar to each other, try adding some more variety in obstacles to improve this.
    TNTtimelord (7.8/10)
    • As strangly as the design was in this level, I seemed to like it. NPC placement was nice and fair, the tower based gimmick was great, and even coins were fine for me. The Bowser fight was... okay. The blue blocks part of it didn't really appeal all that much. The graphic tended to shift all over the place when it came to castle tilesets, but nothing seem to stick out like a sore thumb. Needless to say the second Bowser fight was rather disappointing after the rest of the level. I'd also like to know why the roto disc doesn't have it's trailing animation because it looked rather awkward (although this is a nitpick and you won't lose any points for that). Where this level really shined though was the music. I LOVE the Road to Bowser songs you shifted back and forth from SMG1 to SMG2, and it all sounded great. Nice job on this level for it's unique yet appealing design!
    zlakerboy357 (3/10)
    • A pretty basic Bowser Castle level. I really find the GFXs in this level really bad as most of them had a lack of shading. The tileset combination in this level is terrible since none of them didn't blend well together. Another thing is that the enemies in this has different styles. The Banzai Bills and Bullet Bills were SMW styled while the Koopas and Bob-Ombs was SMB3. The design was pretty boring to be really honest as I didn't see any cool gimmicks or spectacular about it either. Same thing goes with the bosses. The NPC is bad as well I really think having Koopas and Goombas in a castle level. Dry Bones would be nice though. Otheriwse good job I guess..
33. Radishl - Mushroom Lore - 6.12/10
  • Bomber57 (5/10)
    • This level was another level that I consider nearly impossible to beat. The difficulty was in that you need the Fairy Amulet to cross a pit, except you can't reach the amulet unless you grab a seemingly pointless springboard from earlier in the level. Above the Fairy Amulet is also a pipe that leads to a different star in the level. There were areas in the first section that were unfair, such as the little bit where there was a Hammer Bro, Chargin' Chuck, and a Chasing Parachomp on the screen at the same time. This is a lot for Mario to dodge. There is a section that is an insta warp up, but most of the time when you try to go back down you die as if you fell off the screen. If you continue right you go through some more plain level and get to Peach's castle. After an obscure cutscene where some weird villain is released you get the other star.
    Chad (6.2/10)
    • Well this was a neat little grassland. It's nice-looking with some fairly good design and some nice difficulty from the Hammer Bros, Chucks, and Chomps. There's also a bit of tricky platforming and Koopa-hopping, and the exclamation point warnings are nice (although only really necessary for the chasers). I like the cave area as well, as it has some nice exploration and conveniently short switch hunting along with some spiky maneuvering and platform riding. The second star's hidden well, in a section with some good challenge to it. It's a pleasant level with a decent variety of minor gimmicks, so I enjoyed it. There are some small issues, like the fairy powerup being excessively difficult to reach, an implied sliding spot in the cave leading into a Spiny, several places underground where you can duck-glitch, and line platforms not syncing up well so you have to wait for a while. But other than those, the level's alright. At least, this far in, anyway. After that, it gets a little weird. All of a sudden the level injects some random story. After an incredibly short miniboss with a really abrupt start that puts you facefirst into a bullet launcher, suddenly you're navigating Peach's castle. The castle looks somewhat nice I suppose, but you no longer have anything to do aside from talk to Toads and listen to long story that's full of unnecessary things like Toadsworth in a dress. There's also some crossover with Starfy and a villain being awoken from a slumber. Now, that could actually serve a grander purpose in a project or something, but it really doesn't mean anything in the contest because the level ends after the story. The cutscene is well-executed, I'll give you that. The event/layer usage to tell the visual story certainly works for what it is, but honestly, I would have scored this somewhat higher if you just put the star piece at the end of the cave. The level just really did not need what came after, because the experience was lessened by waiting for the story to end.
    Quill (6/10)
    • So uh... that's an interesting level. It's fairly basic and stuff but dear lord that ending. I'm not really sure what to say about it. Anyway, the leaf replacement looks dreadful and if you fly up in some areas you'll find cut off. The secret you can find with the fairy can glitch out since the instant warps overlap and the player can accidentally die. I'm not sure what all the exclamation marks are all about. They seem to warn the player about the chain chomps which are pretty useless since they're easy to avoid.
    TNTtimelord (6.7/10)
    • Most of the design in this level felt... awkward. Everything when it came to items, question blocks, and NPC placement (except for the death effect for the para chomp) felt right, but the design just felt sub-par. The koopa fight had half of the sky and ground gone and in black, which made no sense, and the very ending sequence just felt really out of place. It was a great sequence, and I have an obligation to feel that this takes place at the beginning of an episode. I think you should set all the NPCs in the last section to friendly because I ended up accidentally eating peach, toadsworth, and one random toad.
    zlakerboy357 (6.7/10)
    • Nice little grassland level. I liked the tileset you used in this level, but some parts in the level had a lack of them. The Shikaternia's Woodwork tileset was a great addition, however some of the ladders had a cutoff because they didn't have an ending there. The design was okay and the gameplay was fairly good, however some parts had a lack of Coins. Overall good job.
32. Superiorstar - Invasion on Destruction - 6.12/10
  • Bomber57 (4.5/10)
    • This level is simply too difficult. I had to godmode through this, and getting past the first screen it seemed as if the level only got harder. A neat concept, but try to make it less brutal next time please.
    Chad (5.3/10)
    • I really like the apocalyptic atmosphere this level has, and the gimmicks involving the Bully layers and airship moving overhead are rather cool (although you can enter the warp before the airship even comes in). The lava switch is an interesting idea and the design as a whole is fairly elaborate and good looking, but the difficulty is just too severe. A good general rule for autoscrolling would be to reduce the amount of hazards of that section a little bit compared to the others, because the autoscroll makes it harder by itself. At the very least, give players space to control what they're doing, because the autoscroll is so fast that you basically have to move as fast as possible, which comes completely at the cost of the player's ability to actually maneuver around things. It made it feel like you planned the enemy placement and autoscroll independently of one another without measuring the result when combined. All this, and no powerup given until the scrolling stops. However, the difficulty does get somewhat better after the autoscroll because the land is now holding still and you actually have time to decide how to avoid everything. The projectile fish cannonballs are unnecessary, though. They have big hitboxes, really abrupt spawning and high speed, and there's an annoying cluster of them. The sections after this are a little better, although the Swooper and cannonball generator at the top of the second area are also pretty sudden. Third section's all right, but the bullets are similarly hard to anticipate. Also, don't have required items (lava switches) be in randomly-placed invisible blocks that take luck to find (and pain if you hit it while trying to jump over something). Overall, this level could have been a pretty fun challenge if you just toned some things down. You can still have a difficult level while letting players see and react. Have a few more powerups (especially at the start) and put the checkpoint somewhere in Section 2. Because even with a boss, the level wouldn't be that long, but where it is makes you redo a lot.
    Quill (7/10)
    • Man, what an intense beginning. Really gets the player's attention and motivation. Loved the use of attached layers here, really added a lot. Jesus christ, some of that momentum was insane. I didn't like the P-Switch > Lava parts as sometimes the P-Switch would be hidden in an invisible block that wasn't always obvious where it was. Instead of Bowser's Ship appearing, you should have just put the star there if there was going to be no boss.
    TNTtimelord (8/10)
    • This level had a hole shitton of epic things going for it before I got those damn runtime errors, so I'll judge what I was able to play.
      First off, I can safely say in my entire time with SMBX I have NEVER seen an autoscroll level going upwards where you had to shift back and forth across the section and rendezvous slowly to the top like that. Next, the P-Switch/lava gimmick was also totally ingenious and would have been executed perfectly if you didn't make the P-Switches come out of invisible blocks.
    zlakerboy357 (5.8/10)
    • Oh my god please reduce the amount of enemies ya got in this level. It's so freaking hard. The level's first section was pretty okay, however I recommend not using sideways trees unless the level has some gravity gimmick. I really dislike hiding the L-Switches in Hidden Question Mark Blocks as it makes the player belive the player can't progress. And since most of the GFXs was recolored a bit darker I suggest doing it with the player as well.
31. BlimpFruit - Mouser's Brigade - 6.18/10
  • Bomber57 (6.5/10)
    • I never thought I would see a SMB2 Tank level. These SMB2 tanks look pretty nice, and it works well for the level. Though, the only issue this level has is a major flaw that many of these kinds of levels suffer from: the pacing. This level is so sloooow. And it's worse because if you die to the somewhat difficult Mouser boss you get to ride the whole level again. I feel you could have at least put a checkpoint before the boss or somewhere. A well, good work anyway.
    Chad (6.5/10)
    • Pretty good tank level. The difficulty, scrolling speed, and enemy placement really capture the essence of one, and an SMB2 version is quite unique. This was legitimately really challenging, but remained fun and wasn't irritatingly long in the process. I'm not sure why the wheels are lavalike either, because don't the normal tank wheels crush NPCs? I suppose this is a good way to keep players from duck-glitching, though. Also, putting a venus trap on a warp is a bad idea because it risks a run-time error. The boss is pretty decent, though. Short, but slightly difficult. Nice job on this.
    Quill (6.5/10)
    • Nice level. It was fun and dramatic, but suffered from something a lot of tank levels suffer from. There needed to be more stuff going on. There were far too many times where I was standing around just waiting for the screen to continue on. Add in some more enemies and more complex tank design. The boss was neat as he was fast as heck, but other than that it was pretty generic.
    TNTtimelord (6.5/10)
    • This was a nice SMB2 tank level, as I've never seen one like that before. It had anything a tank level would need, with the wheels that destroy the bombs, a heavy calvary of Bob-Ombs and pidgits ready to fly at the player, projectiles everywhere, and ungodly slow auto-scroll. I wouldn't have minded this tank level too much but the auto-scroll is SO SLOW. I liked how the mouser was kind of walking really quick though, as little things can be appealing like that.
    zlakerboy357 (4.9/10)
    • The level is basically a SMB2 styled level with inspiration from SM3DW's World 2-Tank. The level has a lack of BGOs and I really feel the tanks should've been moving since it looks weird when they stand still. I was expecting them moving or something. I really find it weird having the right end tank tile behind the tank cannon. Same with having vases above the SMB2 Bomb Block. If I remember correctly the Bomb Blocks were the one who generated the Bob-Ombs, not the vases. The boss was tediously made and pretty bland to be really honest.
Tier 6 Places 21-30
30. GLD4 - A Small Quest - 6.34/10
  • Bomber57 (6/10)
    • Exactly what it says on the tin. A short SMB1 styled level that is pretty decent. I like how there was a little bit of exploration to do in the level, but the reward for exploring isn't really worth the time. Using the NSMB Overworld for the bonus section was an odd choice and doesn't really fit it very well. No issues with the castle. A good level overall.
    Chad (7.4/10)
    • This was fun! The design is both polished and charmingly simplistic. It does a nice job at serving its purpose without doing much that's especially fancy. The main route is easy and pleasant, while the secrets are minor to reward explorers. They may just be mostly coins, but the side passages required to obtain them are extremely short, which is fitting for the prize given and they don't take up a lot of time. The little intro at the start does a good job at easing the player into the level, too. You also did well at making the level look nice, using little water areas and even Paratroopas for decoration. Aside from the ambiguous Munchers and occasional low ceiling, this is a pleasant level.
    Quill (5.5/10)
    • The odd thing about this level was that it was difficult to figure out what exactly the level creator wanted this level to be, at least in my opinion. There were segments that felt a little overloaded with enemies and it seemed chunks of lands were just randomly placed to further extend a section. The alternate path was neat, but I didn't like that to get to the switch to open the path in the first place, you were sent right to the beginning of the level again. I liked the transition to the castle though, it didn't really look that great with the background, but it was still neat. The switch in the castle shouldn't even be there, as the blocked off path is literally right next to it.
    TNTtimelord (6.4/10)
    • Very nice and expansive SMB1 styled level. I'd say you did a great job taking full advantage of Sednaiur's SMB1 pack. The design was pretty solid for the most part (but in section 5 you have a missing block somewhere in the middle), as the NPCs, coins, etc were all great. The bonus room felt rather too rewarding for pretty much being wide open and obvious for the player to travel to. The castle area, starting in section 5, kinda started to destroy the cheerful atmosphere as it kind of transforms into a messy combination of grass and castle. The inside of the castle felt really wavy and had more of a "tunnel" feel than a corridor and passageway feel a castle should have. I thought it would have been a real nice touch if the Bowser fight had changed to boss music considering it's the BOSS of a level. It would have also been really cool it you attempted to pull off the bridge destroying gimmick like in the classic SMB1 games. I would have given you major praise for being able to pull that off. The toads in a cage and the village at the beginning hinted in a purpose for fighting Bowser as well. The level had it's strong and weak points overall.
    zlakerboy357 (6.4/10)
    • This is a nice little SMB1 level. The idea of letting the player choose character in the start of the level was pretty nice. The variety of NPCs and BGOs was pretty great. However I feel the level had a lack of them. The level wasn't that detailed as it should've been and the music in Section 2 wasn't really a great choice in my opinion. The design in this was pretty fun though and the secrets was great placed. The bonus room was too much though as it had a lot of coins and it was extremely easy to find. The NPCs in the level was greatly placed and I loved amount of variety them, though the Buzzy Beetles was out of place as they don't fit in the environment of the grassland. The castle section did have some unfitting like clouds and the grassy platforms. The level's boss was exactly like the one in SMB1, but the music doesn't change at all. Having castle music playing while fighting a boss is kinda weird, but overall good job!
29. LuigiGamer - Bowser's Final Castle - 6.37/10
  • Bomber57 (4.75/10)
    • More like Bowsers overused soundtrack castle *snorts 494564 times in 1 second*. Anyway, the level started off alright until the midpoint section. Then it just got unfair. After the checkpoint it requires the player to go through four different rooms and get to the end to progress. Each of these rooms are incredibly difficult (and not good difficulty, but UNFAIR difficulty), especially the Bullet Bill room. It also offers 5 red coins in these rooms which, if you get, gives you a secret star. These red stars are also difficult to get. After that, the level continues to be lackluster until the boss, which is essentially Bowser with more room for him to fall and a darkness effect that flashes every couple of seconds that doesn't really influence the fight at all.
    Chad (6/10)
    • Final castle? Welp, I guess Bowser won't be making any more castles. Take note, level designers! No more Bowser castles! =P Joking aside though, I like what this level tries to do. It has a lot of interesting events to make little parts of the castle change as you travel through it, and once you reach the room split at the midpoint, it gives you a large amount of hazards to overcome. Each one ends with a switch, which unlocks part of the main pipe's seal. It's a really good overall setup. The two pipes splitting and joining as a central one is bizarre, but interesting. The level does a lot of good in its presentation, and there's a nice mix of different challenges. However, where this level falls short is how the gimmicks are pulled off. Up until the checkpoint, they worked well, and even the commonly-irritating laser statues work properly. But after that, the rooms become insanely difficult. The rising lava starts so fast that you're only given an instant to figure out what to do, the spike ceiling moves slowly enough that it made me think I had to rush through instead of wait for it to rise, and the moving bullet launchers are impossible to predict while requiring damage. The Roto-disc room is good though, and I do like each room except for the bullets aside from the aforementioned issues. The cutscene where Bowser "kills" you is interesting, and the boss is an extra long ordinary SMB3 Bowser battle. The level's overall good, but the switch rooms are much too demanding, and the red coins are even worse, as they often require you to perfect-run it. Also, dying at any point during/after the switch rooms means redoing a giant majority of the level. This would have scored higher if the difficulty in those rooms was more reasonable.
    Quill (7.5/10)
    • This was surprisingly cool. The creator of this level clearly put a lot of effort into this level. All the sections were enjoyable even though some places needed improvements in enemies or obstacles. Loved the variety in this level though, it was all fun. Loved the little secrets where coins would come down, that was pretty cute.The boss was pretty generic, the darkness part was nice, but didn't really add that much.
    TNTtimelord (7/10)
    • Very unique approach with moving layers and laser statues in this level. It felt legitimately like a Bowser Castle because of them and the upward moving lava was also a nice touch. Design overall in the level was pretty good, albeit incredibly difficult because the lava rises to near impossible levels and the spikes in that particular section move in such a small space that it's hard not to get smashed because there's even less room to move around in that section than the rest of the level (believe me, there isn't much room to avoid hazards in this level). There's also a lack in coins throughout the level. The events made up for this to an extent and I also loved the music. The fake death was strange though, and I don't really see a point for it.
    zlakerboy357 (6.6/10)
    • Pretty good level. I liked the movement of the Coins in Section 1. The Red Coin idea was a neat addition. The challenges in this level was pretty basic. I really feel you could make more room to the player since the sections was extremely narrow and it makes it pretty hard to get through the level.
28. Fwusha medias - The Floating Cargoship - 6.53/10
  • Bomber57 (7.25/10)
    • An actually good autoscroll! Well, only the first section is an autoscroll. The scroll moves a little faster than I would have expected, but the level balances that out by not having a plethora of different enemies attacking from all directions or something. The second section was pretty nice too, but the part with the bombs shooting out of the pipes wasn't cool because you had to kinda scramble around with no break for a little bit.
    Chad (7.4/10)
    • This is a really good airship level. The designs of the ships are particularly nice-looking and all of the hazards have excellently challenging placements. The gameplay and appearance strongly resemble the classic airships on SMB3 while being somewhat of an upgrade from that. The inside has some quality design as well, with intriguingly tricky conveyor and spike usage. Rushing across those bomb generators was intense. However, using the SMB3 Bob-omb to break open walls is a bit tedious, especially when some of the lower portions can't be broken, and the springboard is capable of despawning when you check out the bombable wall to the left. Also, it'd be good to warn players about jumping on the diagonal cannonballs, as not everyone may be aware of their limitations. An extra powerup or two in the first section would be preferred, too. Otherwise, I rather enjoyed this quite a bit.
    Quill (6/10)
    • Interesting level. The start is pretty basic but the auto scroll keeps things interesting. The second section is also basic but I liked the usage of bombs to blow up bricks which is usually a common thing, but combining it with using a springboard made it more unique. The boss seemed like a Boom Boom but it didn't jump? Kinda confused me there, but it was kinda cool. Really easy though compared to the rest of the level.
    TNTtimelord (6/10)
    • This was a rather short level that completely switched themes and tilesets on me in the second half. First it was a grayish tinted airship with SMB3 cannons you somehow managed (Although they weren't stompable, if they were stompable, I would have really been impressed). The second half really did feel a lot more like a cargo ship, and it was actually a really good implementation of Natsu's airship tileset. The boss reminded me of the waddle dee boss from Kirby Super Star, and I wouldn't consider that a good thing.
    zlakerboy357 (6/10)
    • Cool level. The first part of the level where the player was on the airship was kinda cool. I liked the Cannonballs that got shot out of the cannon. The design was pretty much staright-forward and pretty basic. Didn't really see any cool gameplay elements. The boss was pretty easy and very boring since it was very easy and not very unique.
27. Christian07 - This Level Has Extended Castle Graphics - 6.55/10
  • Bomber57 (7.25/10)
    • Keep up your attention! This was a pretty nice SMB1 castle level. It had some difficulty issues at points, but was pretty solid. The boss was hard unless you had a fire flower, and the same could be said for the first aquatic section. Poor obstacle and enemy placement was also an issue. At one point you had two spinies, a paragoomba, a fire bar, and a venus fire trap all near each other.
    Chad (7.5/10)
    • Wow, the design is pretty polished in this one! The uneven and complex layout is really effective for tricky enemy placement and jumps, and that's exactly what this level does. Great use is made of fences, firebars, extra effective Hammer Bros placement, line platforms, and a generally wide variety of SMB1 enemies. What impressed me most in this level is how deliberate every part of the layout seems to be, because the level manages to have optimal challenge in most areas. At least, usually. There are some isolated incidents that I felt were a bit much, like the cramped space around the 1up (and how touching the edge of the ground counts as lava due to its height), the surprise Firebar next to Section 2's Hammer Bro (it's right where you need to rush to in order to avoid it while being just outside the camera until you get there), some excess firebars at the end of the first underwater section, and the boss is basically "rush through and take a hit to win". But overall, I really liked the difficulty and structure of the level. Even the issues I pointed out aren't really serious (except perhaps for Bowser), and they're still doable. Good work on this.
    Quill (7/10)
    • Interesting level. It's a little on the lengthy side and some elements are repeated a bit, but the variety is still pretty cool. The sections with the climable net were pretty fun. The boss is hard to get past since the gap is so narrow and there's also a firebar there too.
    TNTtimelord (6.2/10)
    • The text boxes have some pretty amusing things to say. The last one also says LIES.
      Anyways, I can safely say you were not being very nice to the player when you made this level. It has a lot of VERY difficult aspects to it but it's also fair enough to where it doesn't get super frustrating. The spaces throughout the castle tend to be rather cramped in several areas. The platforms were a nice touch, but the lines have a slight bit of cutoff on them. I find it impossible to keep a powerup when you try to pass Bowser at the end, and I think that's a really stupid flaw.
    zlakerboy357 (8.1/10)
    • Great SMB1 castle level! I loved the atmosphere here as the level has alot of decoration. The design was non-linear and pretty fun. Some parts was too narrow like the first underwater section and a bit tricky. I really dislike the idea of having firebars underwater and riding platforms all the way is kinda boring. Otherwise great job!
26. KoolKat - Larry Koopa's Blazing Fortress - 6.58/10
  • Bomber57 (6.5/10)
    • This level was a little shorter than I would have liked it, but I actually had a little bit of fun playing this one. The draining lava section was cool, but the koopa spawns were a little much. I felt that the spike hall before Larry was a little lazy in design, and could have used a power block before the boss too. The Larry boss wasn't too bad either.
    Chad (/10)
    • Pretty alright level. It has a unique visual atmosphere to it and an intriguing layout. Each room is a little different, starting off simple and linear for a moment before getting into tricky and precise jumps, a lava descent, and a spike hall. It's a good variety, and you pull off each one rather well. It both looks and plays nicely. Even the boss is pleasant. Three phases of Larry Koopa with slightly different projectiles ended up being a good challenge, because usually I'll see people getting really unfair or excessive with that, but this one stays manageable. The only thing that particularly bothered me was that the sinking lava section made the generating Koopas highly difficult to avoid. Falling enemies are hard enough to avoid as is, but you're only given narrow sets of donut blocks to do so with. They could have been replaced with something a bit easier.
    Quill (6.6/10)
    • Alright level. This castle was fairly ordinary, though the lava lowering and the player having to be patient and not fall was kinda neat. The rest of the level didn't have anything too special and the boss was pretty annoying as it was the same boss three times with little changes.
    TNTtimelord (7.2/10)
    • This was a very enjoyable, somewhat shorter level. Everything except the lava and items were tinted a great looking dark gray color. Coins and items were plentiful and NPC placement was all near perfect. the Lava moving down section was a very nice touch and was a great leading-up moment to the fight between Larry Koopa. The actual fight between Larry Koopa was rather mediocre though, as it just adds more irritating NPC projectiles with Larry Koopa in a low ceiling environment, which caused some issues for me. Music was pretty grandious though, and I did like that.
    zlakerboy357 (6.6/10)
    • Nice level. The level was quite decorated and most the GFXs was recolored here while though the Donut Blocks could've been recolored. The NPC placement here was quite good and it had a good amount of them, however Dry Bones would be nice here. The design was quit good as well, but there weren't any cool gameplay elements here to be really honest. The sinking lava part with the Donut Blocks was good, however when you reached the end of it you could see the top lava tile inside the fill of the sinking lava which looks extremely weird. The boss was well made however the part where you was suppose to dodge the Bullet Bills and fight the boss had one flaw and that was could dodge the Bullet Bills by standing on the launchers. Otherwise the level was quite good.
25. RarePairGaming - Snow Brick Fortress - 6.58/10
  • Bomber57 (7/10)
    • I really enjoyed the Crash Bandicoot inspired element in this level, being the warp between the section where you grab the key. The section even played the right music! This level stayed rather similar throughout, being long halls with various enemies. It's better than it sounds though, and I was entertained playing this level. The boss is a little tough but fair. Good level!
    Chad (7/10)
    • There's some fairly good design here, and although it's mostly one big tunnel with the occasional break, there is some variation to its structure and the layout's enjoyable to traverse. Enemies are excellently placed throughout the level for a nicely moderate difficulty. I like how those ? platforms work, and the boss is a decent way of making Boom-Boom a little harder. The level does get mildly repetitive as it's mostly a hallway with enemies, but it's nothing too serious and still quite fun. The visuals are really nice too, especially the torch windows.
    Quill (6/10)
    • This is a decent level. I like the moving thing, the way it flows is pretty nice, though since it's right before the checkpoint I initially ignored it to get the checkpoint and ended up missing a ride that never came back. I had to kill Mario and restart for it to come back. The level design isn't too special but it's still nice to play and look at. The boss was pretty meh since it's the same boss 3 times with minor adjustments which is more annoying than anything else.
    TNTtimelord (7.9/10)
    • I don't really know why, but the first word that comes to mind when I first played this is "trippy."
      It's overall a very nice level. There's a fair amount of items, but I think a few more coins would be good. The NPC placement started to get really predictable after the key section. The platform raising me up and taking me down to the areas I need to go were done nicely with the moving layers, but if I'm left behind by one of them, I can't proceed to the next part of the level, not even with cheats, and that is a rather large flaw. Try making sure I can get up to those areas.
    zlakerboy357 (5/10)
    • Nice little Ice castle. I liked the tileset combination you did in the start of Section 1 and it would be cool if you did troughout the whole level. The design was boring to be really honest since it's boring to go straight forward troughout the whole level, and the NPCs was badly placed. The level had a good amount of BGOs and I liked them. The boss was easy and really boring, but great job on the level.
24. Zant - Toads Gone Rogue - 6.59/10
  • Bomber57 (6.25/10)
    • Eh, this level was short and didn't have too much special about it. If you are gonna use koopas (or toads) please make sure they are one kind. Some red toads went into their shells while some were launched out like a SMW koopa. Also don't start a section with a blue koopa (toad) kicking a shell (mushroom) at you. The secret star location was unfair and I never would've guessed it unless I had a fetish for jumping around aimlessly on top of every question block in the level. The boss was also pretty meh.
    Chad (6.6/10)
    • Neat concept. The atmosphere is suitably dark for this kind of level and I like the strategic placements of the Toads. The difficulty is a fair and moderate challenge, with a decent layout to navigate. The level's mostly enemy evasion and obstacle jumping for a short while, but it does these things pretty well. I quite enjoyed the boss, too. It's a good way to spice up a Ludwig fight without being overkill, so nice job on that. However, the second star's somewhat lazily hidden. Using invisible blocks just makes it a luck-based secret, and it's not likely that someone will check up there, as you're not given much reason to. Overall, this is a fun level. The design is relatively standard, but the idea behind the gimmick is somewhat unique.
    Quill (6/10)
    • Interesting level. The concept is somewhat unique and it was clear what each enemy did which is rare to find with custom enemies. Good job with that. The secret star is ridiculous to find. That's a bad secret. The boss was pretty generic, but good job for spicing it up a little with bullet bills to watch out for.
    TNTtimelord (7.4/10)
    • Very interesting concept. It was a short level, but with those weird ass toad sprites, I think making it a short level was good enough. It was also a fun level, killing all those toads for a fun reason. The boss was also a clever replacement over Ludwig and reminded me of like a "mecha-toad." Coins and items were done right, so I'd consider this a decent level.
    zlakerboy357 (6.7/10)
    • Wow Toads is against Mario. That's pretty cool. The level had a great amount of BGOs was pretty good. The SMB2 waterfall isn't really a great choice in my opinion. The design was linear, but it was quite fun. The boss was okay since it wasn't really special or stood out to most bosses. Overall cool level.
23. Frozen - Underground Street - 6.61/10
  • Bomber57 (6.25/10)
    • I enjoyed the Wario Land tileset and graphics in this. Unfortunately, it made it hard to tell what enemies you could jump on or not in this level and thus I got hit a few times. The level felt a little empty at a few points, but was otherwise pretty solid. Good work.
    Chad (6.3/10)
    • Not bad. I like the graphical theme, and it's got a fairly interesting layout and quite good enemy placement. I like how you've placed the little secret rooms, too (except that the last Dragon Coin is unreachable). Gameplay's pretty normal, it gets the job done and I don't really have anything to complain about regarding that. The Spike Top/Hoopster replacements change it up a bit, too. Sonic's climbing is really messed up, though.
    Quill (6.5/10)
    • What a bizarre level. The whole play as Sonic thing threw me off a little (there's no death effect for that, by the way). The level was kinda interesting and open, allowing for some exploration which I appreciated. Some enemies were difficult to deal with as it was hard to tell at first what exactly they replaced. Some were more obvious than others.
    TNTtimelord (8/10)
    • The first thing that appears is a very nice Wario Land looking level. Other than a few random SMB3 aspects and ESPECIALLY the fact that I was Sonic, I felt this stayed true to a Wario Land styled level, as it all looks really nice. NPC placement and variety is great and items to have were all over the place, so dying here is not an option (not literally, I'm just saying it's an easy level). Anyways, I say you did a nice job here.
    zlakerboy357 (6/10)
    • GOTTA GO FAST!!11 Nah just kidding with ya. Cool Sonic level. The level had some good looking GFXs, but some parts had a lack of BGOs. I disliked the cut off on the Shikaternia's Woodwork Ladder as it doesn't look good. The design was kinda confusing since some of the doors led me to the same exact place. Some unfitting GFXs I forgot to point like the SMW Checkpoint and the SMB1 Poinson Mushroom. The gameplay can't be said much about since the level had a lack of wise gameplay stuff. Overall good level I guess..
22. Sux - Scarlet Spatial Sewers - 6.66/10
  • Bomber57 (5.5/10)
    • I don't even know what this level was trying to be. It's both an airship and a lava sewer and a water sewer IN SPAAAACE. The level has unfair difficulty. There is a large concentration of hazards in small, cramped areas, and powerups are far and few. Hell, the debugger says there is 4 and I only found 2! I guess some of the gimmicks were neat, but try to make the level less hellish next time?
    Chad (6/10)
    • A cosmic sewer amongst airships and lava is certainly a unique scenario, and the level has a lot of tight jumps and tricky obstacles to make it a legitimately challenging experience. The lava and water toggling is neat, and the timed skull raft switches and bouncing skulls are interesting elements as well. However, several things about the level are obnoxious. I honestly could not understand the hint about the skull rafts crossing over to new lava layers as you hit the switches, because the sign was barely readable and I only realized what it meant once it happened the hard way. Section 2 has some extremely sudden and unpredictable cannonballs, like the one by the Dragon Coin that's essentially a trap, and the two at the end of the section that basically depend on where you are horizontally as you swim upward. The water hitboxes are strangely small, which leads to uncontrollable death when you expect the player to jump perfectly from one. If you fall into the water on the lower-right of the checkpoint area, you're as good as dead, because nobody's going to look for an invisible block there but the water actually looks escapable until you go in. The checkpoint section desperately needs a powerup, but doesn't have one. Putting Big Boos in ambiguously small water hitboxes is unreasonable, as is having a Boo home in on your location while you're coming out of a pipe, or making fire instant-kill. This level would be a lot more enjoyable if it weren't for those annoyances. Structurally, the level isn't bad, and the visuals are pretty good too, it's just that the gimmicks and placements just aren't done well. Some minor adjustments all over the place could make it great.
    Quill (7/10)
    • Really neat level, but it suffers from small problems that keep adding up. On the plus side, there's a ton of awesome variety in design, gimmicks and enemies. Great job with that! The atmosphere is also good too. My problems begin at the start. The idea with the rising lava and the skull rides is really unique, but it's incredibly hard and frustruating to pull off correctly as most of the time it'll be too far away for you to make the jump. The water is very annoying to deal with as the actual swimmable parts don't fully cover all the water, sometimes leading to unfair deaths such as the start of section 5. Speaking of section 5, that same water requires you to make a jump to a platform above which is impossible with Mario at least as it is too high up and water makes you jump lower. I cheated past this part and continued on and found the level ended really anti-climatically and randomly which was a shame. Overall, good job. Just work on these problems and fully test your level.
    TNTtimelord (6.5/10)
    • This is easily the strangest combination of level themes I have ever seen.
      Right off the bat, this LOOKS like it would be a really good level, but the skull raft gimmick you used where the lava comes WAY up after you hit the switch, is very flawed. It requires nearly perfect timing to make this passable, and most people don't have the patience to do that part over and over again. You really don't give the player a second chance here as well, and that's a huge mistake.
      Once I get past that nightmare of a gimmick, the rest of the level itself isn't that bad. Everything when it comes to basic level needs is all done right and it still stays faithful with the space/sewer/lava atmosphere. The music doesn't really transition all that well, but at least after the first section, the level got a lot more fun to play.
    zlakerboy357 (8.3/10)
    • Amazing level! I loved the tileset combination in this level alot as they all blended well. The design was fun as well and I really liked lava gimmick in Section 1. The water/lava gimmick has been used alot of times and it was a bit badly used since it was a bit hard to jump out of the water and reach the ledge. Overall great job.
21. Little Boo - Death Valley - 6.96/10
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • Ooh, SMB1 graphics. All the recolors and redesigns looked pretty good in this level and fit the lava wasteland theme pretty well. I thought the giant goombas that became small and fast after you stomped on them were pretty neat. Though, I felt parts of this level were a little unfair, specifically the two big skull raft sections. Even with the size of the rafts, the barrage of enemies is tough to avoid. Throwing shells on the skull rafts when they rise and fall is also difficult because the shell will bump off the raft and go back towards Mario rather than treating it like a slope. Also, the barrage of bullet bills at the very end of the level was sudden and impossible to avoid.
    Chad (6.8/10)
    • Nice apocalypse grassland level you've got here! You did an excellent job at taking a simple SMB1 theme and giving it really lively design and challenging hazard placements. The platforms and enemies have strategic placements that made the level really fun to progress through. The skull rides are expertly made and that bit with the falling platforms after one of them was particularly neat. However, pretty much the entire second half of the level takes a turn for the worse. The checkpoint is actually a distinct line between "this level's really good" and "okay this is a bit much". I enjoyed the DKC-esque gimmick where you ride on a raft with enemies dropping down from overhead, and that first bit is good. But once the layer-attached blocks got involved, it became really messy. Not only do they make it difficult to maneuver by themselves, but the number of enemies multiplied on top of that. It was major overkill, and those blocks are capable of counting as a crushing hazard if you're unfortunate. The layout of the second half is still a great structure for the level and it still looks nice, but the enemies are downright spammy. A powerup right at the checkpoint would have been extremely nice too, as you give the player a lot to redo while being one hit from death. Also, I loved that giant block meteor! I would have liked to see more use out of that and have it fulfill an actual purpose.
    Quill (7/10)
    • Nice level. I liked the whole SMB1 apocalyptic theme. Very unique. Really awesome atmosphere in this level too. The gameplay was also pretty fun and there was a good amount of variety. The latter half was a little bit of a let down as there was a lot of skull rides and enemies started to overwhelm the player who's focusing on staying on the platform to live. It's a bit too much.
    TNTtimelord (6.9/10)
    • This is actually the first time I'm seeing a real good taste of what Sednaiur has to offer in his SMB1 Pack and I'd say you did a really good job showing off for him. The level atmosphere definitely conveys a lava filled wasteland and it really helps in making this level seem more fun and unique. You also tried a few new things with the skull raft I've never seen before and I personally think you executed them out really well. The major issue with this level is the fact there isn't a single coin or question block for the rest of the level after the beginning, and both are necessary, especially in a somewhat difficult level like this. All in all, the level did incredibly good on what it DID do good, but it has a couple things that really drag down the quality in other ways.
    zlakerboy357 (6.6/10)
    • An okay easy level. The music and the GFXs was fitting well together and I liked amount of BGOs you used. The level did a have a lack of Coins though. Suprisingly the were only 2 Dragons Coins I think it should've been 3 or 5. The Skull Raft was pretty fun as well, but a bit gltichy. Overall, great job!

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am

Tier 7 upperclass bitches B)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am

Tier 7 here I come ;)))))
I make art lol

Sux
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Nova Era

Postby Sux » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

I confess I was a little disappointed with my placement, but I admit that I really rushed this level, but I'm able to make a very better level, I wanted use a level with design decent top 3, but due to various setbacks, hastened this level. Still, Was very hard to make it and it was to be really difficult.
And I love my score!!! :twisted:
Happy Halloween!

EDIT: I was aware of the amount of errors that had, after all, in just two hours, I was forced to finish the level, since the section 2. Exact, section 2 and the rest of the level was done in such a short time, really difficult and it cost me important things in personal life.
And I have not tested the last time, ie very likely that frustrating jumps occur. But I'm glad they enjoyed the atmosphere, after all, my intention was to make a completely new level and I think I may have succeeded. Better luck for me, (and less lazy), next time.
By the way, do not know why, but I have a hunch that SuperMario7 or zlakerboy357 will win this tournament, just intuition.
Last edited by Sux on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

<RudeGuy> hooray tier 6, not 33th place again and 8 from a judge
<RudeGuy> boss sucked
<RudeGuy> not gonna put a boss again
Pretty much what I have to say about my position.
im bored

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:31 am

Last level in tier 6, wow i wasn't expecting that i thought i'd be in tier 5 or something. I am proud of myself.
I go by She/Her for everyone.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am

Can we get a list of Top 20?
I make art lol

GameClip477
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby GameClip477 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:51 am

Oh my flipping god!! I past Tier 5 and 6!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT THAT IT'S TRUE! My level might of been a good level after all. I'm so happy that I'm going to be in the top 20 or maybe 10. Good luck do all the remainders and a Happy Halloween to everyone!! :D :D

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:58 am

There is a mistake on the score I got. Indeed, 7.25+7.5+7+6.2+8.1=36.05 and 36.05/5 is 7.21.
im bored

Kyogre
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Life
Chat Username: Silberstein

Postby Kyogre » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:59 am

Top 20 *-*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEcasX ... BlHGnj-ttw

Discord: Silberstein (#2409)

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Germany.

Ich habe gelernt der größte Schmerz geht auch vorüber, komm reiß mir ein Bein aus, doch ich laufe weiter Tausendfüßler

Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?

Postby Quill » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:00 pm

22. Sux - Scarlet Spatial Sewers - 6.66/10
Um...

So 6.66/10 makes things suspicious... but let's look at this closer.

Scarlet Spatial Sewers = SSS

SSS = 666

Illuminati confirmed.

Also...

If a = 1, b = 2... etc

S = 19
U = 21
X = 24

= 64

SMBX levels are 16-bit.

64/16 = 4

Scarlet Spatial Sewers is 1 level.

4-1 = 3

Half Life 3 confirmed.
Last edited by Quill on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Quilluminati.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:05 pm

Alright, can i have my 20th place now?

I got lucky twice by reaching 7th place but there is none (i mean no luck) this time!

who's still rolling in the contest other than me?
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

Return to “Level Contests”