Guidelines for game formatting, which you really should follow:
1. Use this list of basic colors! And make your roles bold, too. It's hard to look at games which use really bright greens and yellows, and even harder if roles aren't bolded. Feel free to use other colors if you need to, but if all you need is the basic colors then use these:
- Red (#FF0000)
- Purple (#8000FF)
- Blue (#0000FF)
- Green (#008000)
- Orange (#FF8000)
- Black (Bold text with no color)
3. Don't put a bunch of arbitrary space between lines. Space isn't required between individual roles of the same team. Use one blank line in between teams. This makes it so that your game takes up less space and is easier to follow.
4. Don't specify things that are already mentioned in the Mafia rules or otherwise assumed. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Instant lynches (instas). You only need to specify them if you are NOT doing them in your game.
- Mafia/town win conditions. These conditions are specified in the rules thread. Only mention anything that you're changing.
Here's a template for a standard Mafia-town setup:
<Mafia team name> (usually "The Mafia" or something like that, heading optional)
<Mafia role> - Role description (not necessary for repeat roles)
<Town team name> (usually "The Town" or something like that, heading optional)
<Special role> - Role description
<Town role> - Role description
<Third party role> - Role description and win conditions (only call this a third party if it's actually the third party)
<Cult role> - Role description and win conditions
<Any mechanics your game has>
This is not an exhaustive template - you may come up with things that need their own method of presenation, and that's fine. This is just a template to ensure the standard aspects of Mafia games are displayed neatly.
Here is a copy of M2: Electric Boogaloo.
[spoiler]Mafia: Electric Boogaloo
Godfather - Collaborates with the rest of the Mafia to kill one player at night. Will be green when inspected.
Mafioso - Collaborates with the rest of the Mafia to kill one player at night.
Vengeful Mafioso - If killed, may choose one player that will die with them.
Sheriff - Chooses one player each night to inspect. Will learn this player's color.
Doctor - Chooses one player each night to save. This player will be immune to a kill.
Doublevoter - Lynch vote counts for two.
Townsperson - Normal townsperson.
Millwright - Thinks he's a normal townsperson. Will cardflip orange if inspected or killed.
Miller - Thinks he's a normal townsperson. Will cardflip red if inspected or killed.
Serial Killer - Third party, chooses one player a night to kill. Wins game if he is the last man standing.
This is a cardflip game. Players' colors will be revealed on death.[/spoiler]
Let me know if there's anything that should be added to this guide. Thanks for reading!